Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #121
SVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Yeh thats what I thought, till i read that article, ill find it again

EDIT

heres the thread

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11281344

HAHAHA would you tell the press and the public you lost money on a ridiculous car? he just span it so it seemed they made their targets and made money, they didnt...

on topic, if the mustang and falcon do share the same chassis, it wouldn't involve too much work shoe-horning the I6 into the bay of the 'stang would it? i mean if the car will be getting a revision in 2015/16 anyway they may bring it back to the old style of longer bigger bonnet and what not... and then we could export I6's.... ah the dream...
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 12:55 AM   #122
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
i would rather a slightly smaller falcon to be honest.
/flame suit on
Agreed

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 01:48 AM   #123
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourl6
On Topic "Falcon and mustang to share Global RWD platform"
Global RWD Platform just isnt enough information what we need to know if the RWD platform is for the large car position (current falcon) or the performance car position (current mustang) so the real question is "Will the next RWD falcon/mustang be the large family car that the average family will buy?"
Do you think Ford (Mulally & Co) were at the NAIAS waiting for the pathetic pest press express from downunder to come and ask about a programme that is to be announced 12-18 months from now???
Old 14-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #124
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
There'll be global implications for Terri too...

And considering what was shown at the PG recently, Ford have the right cars in mind.
Taurus X
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #125
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

This is beyong exciting but I cant help but feel Geelongs manufacturing might suffer still with the I6, unless they can justify it for our market still; that would b the icing on the cake.

But the amount of tech this opens up for FoA is massive. Things were looking grim for a while but I cant see how it gets better than this, even if the Terry becomes a victim, which I doubt given the amount of money thats been put into it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #126
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

I just keep hearing 2 door falcon

In saying that, got a phone call yesterday from a mate, Did you hear, they're stopped making the falcon. Media damage may already be done.
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #127
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Guys, screw the media.
They've been anti ford forever, they're pro certain persuasions of government; they've got far too much power full stop, and my sister who agrees is an MD of a publishing company (former writer, then editor and now MD. Went to Charles Sturt and was in same class as Jessica Rowe, but that's another story).

Anyway, make a difference and show your support for ford. Guys who work in fleets or have a choice of company car, choose the ford. Guys buying a car, choose the ford. Guys helping a relative buy a car, go to ford.
Ford have the weaponry to win over any customer, so lets help ford by getting people down to the dealerships.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #128
BrisVegas
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Guys, screw the media.

Anyway, make a difference and show your support for ford. Guys who work in fleets or have a choice of company car, choose the ford. Guys buying a car, choose the ford. Guys helping a relative buy a car, go to ford.
Ford have the weaponry to win over any customer, so lets help ford by getting people down to the dealerships.
nicely put. I'm the squeaky wheel in my circle of friends and workmates. It's not hard to be a Ford advocate with such a quality range of vehicles. And lets not get started on bailouts...
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #129
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Some people need to look at the thread again. A further confirmation by a poster in the know confirmed it.

I'm quite happy for the Falcon to lose 100mm in length as long as overall space remains the same.
This will make a 'dynamite' car an even better one!
They could loose 200mm from the nose of the car quite easily without impacting cabin space or boot space... It will hurt Geelong if they do it though...

Old 14-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #130
Director

I'm no chassis expert, RWD expert, marketing expert, or an expert on anything really but coming from the angle of a car admirer this announcement simply makes sense and seems logical, a no brainer. All hype and cycnicism removed this seems like a fantastic announcement for ford lovers and from the news I believe we are in for some exciting times for our beloved coon.

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #131
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
Taurus X
That car has been discontinued

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #132
aston

It would seem logical that Broadmeadows would produce all the RHD editions of GRWD...Which would probably be Falcon and Mustang (and Terri) and then export the Mustang to UK, Japan and any other RHD market.

Leave the LHD versions to the yanks.
aston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #133
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bah, the media have been trying to kill the falcon for the last 20 years, its still here, and sounds like good news for the future - and its their 50th anniversary

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #134
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
You want proof then read below. More importantly, look at who posted it!
I wouldn't call what I posted proof. I certainly wouldn't want that on my head for it to all turn to .....

Considering it was a some time ago when I saw it (Road Warrior, wasn't the one you suggested), things are always subject to change. But as we all know, things are on the improve and Ford are on a role, if there's a time that this program is getting close to green light again, it would be now.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #135
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the words of the late Kevin McQuay - I'M EXCITED!

This is freaking awesome news.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #136
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
That car has been discontinued
The market continues to grow
Old 14-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #137
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
I wouldn't call what I posted proof. I certainly wouldn't want that on my head for it to all turn to .....
Well you'd be glad to know Blue II scoffed at these false reports. You're right, this far out from 2015 nothing is guaranteed, but at least we can deduce what is fact from fiction.
Old 14-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #138
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
haha....holden had to scale back the W427 kezzer because there weren't 427 idiots looking at buying one. i think the number was down around the 150 mark or thereabouts. holden made zero dollars on the W427, thats common knowledge.
There were a total of 57 W427's sold during 2009.

The last Mustangs (that came here in 2001) were all Australian conversions done by FTE at a total cost of $4m for the 250 cars - that's $16k per car plus the 55 hours each to build them.
In doing so there were 150 new major and 200 minor components that were changed in the conversion process and because these were all short run production items their cost was horrible.

To quote:

The vehicles’ tail lamps and head lamps are Japanese specification, which are closer to meeting Australian design rules. The head lamp beam is oriented to right hand drive. The rear tail lamps are further modified in Australia to meet design rules, while the head lamps are supplemented by a set of high beam lamps.

This process involves the first change to the Mustang’s sheet metal.

The front bumper cover is removed and cut to allow the new lamps to be fitted, while the steel beam is also removed and the lamps attached to it by brackets. Two new bezels are fitted over the lamps.

New side indicator lamps are fitted in Australia.

The other modification carried out in the States involves the seats, with the electric driver’s seat installed on the right hand side on the line in Detroit.

Other US modifications include the installment of an Australian ADR-compliant windscreen, seatbelts and a Japanese-spec exhaust to meet local noise requirements.

The repositioning of the steering column and pedals creates a domino effect under the bonnet of the Mustang.

The air-conditioning and heating system has to be moved to the left hand side of the car, which requires a major reworking of the system by a third party supplier in Australia.

Under the bonnet, hoses and wiring that serve the air-conditioning system are re-routed to accommodate its new position.

The instrument panel also needs to be disassembled, with the instrument cluster, air ducts, controls and air registers all re-positioned. The passenger’s airbag also is repositioned.

Other cabin items that require modification include the power window switches and their bezels, the power side mirror controls and the mirrors themselves, the sunvisors (for ADR purposes) and the seatbelt and child restraint anchors.

In other words, it was a major effort and although they initially retailed at $85-95k, the majority were sold between $65-75k.

For any low volume vehicle, the cost of ADR (and more specifically emissions) compliance is substantial (think $2m+) and that cost has to be spread across the likely sales volumes which typically aren't high.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #139
Meg's GT's
1 is good but 2 is better

Default Posted on myFord Facebook Page

This was just posted on the myFord Facebook Page:

Quote:
The future of the Falcon

Today at 2:43pm
Ford Australia is only 18 months into the life-cycle of our all-new FG Falcon, which means that a replacement model isn't due until approximately 2015. It is important to understand that we are following our normal timeline and cadence of new model development and introduction. We are using the next 18 months – 2 years to conduct in-depth consumer research to determine what a successful replacement vehicle will need to offer Australian customers in an extremely competitive marketplace.

We are fortunate that our global One Ford plan will allow us to work with other Ford locations throughout the world that, like Australia, have a need for large cars. Working together as one team, we will be in a much stronger position to more efficiently and effectively deliver to our respective markets a vehicle with class leading levels of quality, safety, fuel-efficiency and leading-edge technologies.

Our global One Ford philosophy provides numerous benefits for us in Australia. It has allowed us to share knowledge; to gain access to new technologies; and to play an active role in the Ford world. Never has this been more evident than our lead role in the design and development of global vehicle programs such as the company's new T6 compact pick-up (which will eventually be sold in more than 100 countries) and the Figo small car for India. These significant programs clearly demonstrate the role Ford Australia plays regionally and globally.

Our recent $230 million investment announcement was also only possible thanks to our One Ford plan, bringing to the Australian market Ford's first application of a RWD EcoBoost engine for Falcon and a turbo-charged diesel for Territory.

Our position has not changed. We have been communicating a consistent message about our forward plans to dealers, suppliers, governments and our internal Ford team for over 12 months. We will continue to move forward with our plans and build on the momentum we generated in 2009.
Meg's GT's is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #140
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausbird
This was just posted on the myFord Facebook Page:
This is a Dealer Bulletin released by Burela outlining what One Ford means for Falcon.

I see it as positive news both for Falcon, and for Ford Australia.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #141
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
This is a Dealer Bulletin released by Burela outlining what One Ford means for Falcon.

I see it as positive news both for Falcon, and for Ford Australia.
I agree it is good news overall but I can't help feeling that we will still need to brace ourselves for change if the Falcon is going to exist under One Ford.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #142
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
I agree it is good news overall but I can't help feeling that we will still need to brace ourselves for change if the Falcon is going to exist under One Ford.
I agree with the last part of this statement, but change doesnt mean it will be a negative.

The way it was reported and half of the contributors on this forum made it sound like they were replacing the FG falcon with the 1995 taurus.

Facts are:

GRWD will much like GM's Zeta program.
(Commadore, Comaro, Statesman/Falcon, Mustang, Lincoln)

This means a huge investment in cash, which cant be a bad thing.

A large investment in cash means that instead of simply revising parts/systems they get completely redesigned and much more new technologies can be employed.

GRWD will be a base for Performance (Mustang) and luxury (lincoln) vehicles as well as the falcon, so dynamically its design will be very versitile.

Yes, things will change, the I6 will go, too hard to efficiently package in a global car when no other potential engines are anywhere near as long. However, ford do have some really great engines coming online and the falcon will be designed to have these from the outset. (eg, no more 10 years wait for diesel).
brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #143
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

I see where you're going etc, but I think there's just going to be too much compromise trying to put the Mustang and the Falcon and the Lincoln LS all on th same platform. Perhaps if they made the Falcon significantly smaller and left the Lincoln out, it would be achieveable. Nothign wrong with a smaller lighter and more nimble Falcon, back to it's roots. The Falcon originally was a compact car anyway (believe it or not!). They could do with less of this modern bloat.

Last edited by Kamshaaft; 14-01-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #144
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I know it hasn't got much chance, but, a retro styled XA-C coupe would be better then a mustang...

They could sell it as a Torino in america!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #145
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd

Facts are:

GRWD will much like GM's Zeta program.
(Commadore, Comaro, Statesman/Falcon, Mustang, Lincoln)
You've missed two models from Australia in the Ford Column.

One is Territory. And the other is Fairlane
Old 14-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #146
g220ba
FGX XR8

Would the other be Fairlane/LTD?
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #147
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I know it hasn't got much chance, but, a retro styled XA-C coupe would be better then a mustang...

They could sell it as a Torino in america!
Just what everybody's asking for! :hihi:
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #148
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
Would the other be Fairlane/LTD?
Maybe :gren:
Old 14-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #149
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Maybe :gren:
Does the term new yank penny ring a bell?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #150
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Does the term new yank penny ring a bell?
It won't be the first time it has been one of them. Remember the first Fairlanes?