Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-11-2023, 06:55 PM   #1
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Default Mustang Recall

So there's a current recall (23C35) for 20-23 Mustangs.

Basically the dash won't display the low brake fluid warning light, in the event it does go low.

Initially it was just a BCM update to fix it. They were going to do it when I had my Mustang serviced a few days ago. Turns out there's also a part change required (I'm not sure what part).

So Ford have grounded all 20-23 Mustangs, as there are no parts in the country for the fix. So they've given me a ****ty hire car from Europcar (Chinese MG SUV).

I asked if I can take my Mustang back, and they said I'd need to sign a waiver, to wave Ford of any blame should anything happen. Gievn it's only the low brake fluid warning light, I'm tempted to take it back.

I'm curious how many Mustang owners have heard about this recall, and if they've also been told to ground the car until there's a fix.

I've never had a car under recall before, so I'm in new territory.

EDIT: And I can find nothing online related to this recall, that says a part needs to be replaced, so it's a bit weird. She said she got an email from Ford today about it, so who knows.

Last edited by the_scotsman; 28-11-2023 at 07:01 PM.
the_scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-11-2023, 09:00 PM   #2
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: Mustang Recall

the only mustang recalls here are for 2014-2017 (rear view camera) and 2018-2020 (rear view camera and lamps)

https://www.vehiclerecalls.gov.au/re...t_category%3A7

23C35 looks like the letters haven't gone out yet so the dealer may be jumping the gun. Not clear either if it even applies to RHD cars

https://www.kbb.com/ford/recall/
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2023, 09:15 PM   #3
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

I'm pretty sure it is here too. When I went to book my service online, the Field Service Action was flagged against my car in red. It showed the recall outstanding for it, so the online Ford system knew about it. I'm not sure how that all ties in, but it was there.

The dealer had received an email from Ford this morning, confirming affected Mustangs were to be grounded until it's resolved.

I'm going to ask around at a couple other local Ford dealers, see what they say about it.

I don't think my dealer would deliberately hold my car if it wasn't required.
Old 28-11-2023, 09:33 PM   #4
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

the KBB site seems to say it is very open ended. If there is no fix, how long are they going to hold your car for? at the very least they should be giving you and equivalent model if its going to be more than a day to two

Quote:
Dealers will update the body control module software, free of charge. Interim letters notifying owners of the safety risk are expected to be mailed December 4, 2023. Second letters will be mailed once the remedy is available.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2023, 09:43 PM   #5
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Yea, it's a hire car from Europcar, ****ty MG SUV. It's currently booked until next Tuesday, but they said Ford will extend it if needed.

But I'm not going to do that. I'm going to get it back from them, and just sign this stupid waiver. It would be really bad luck for the brake fluid to start leaking in the coming weeks.

She said she has 4 Mustangs for sale on the forecourt that they can't sell at the moment because of this recall. So they certainly seem to think it's current/relevant.

Some places online I'm seeing Ford still don't have a fix for it. But she's told me there is a fix, but there are no parts in the country for it. I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not being lied to. But I can't imagine why theyt would lie and keep my car if it wasn't legit.

It's bad timing, as my service was done last week and that's why they have my details. Otherwise I likely wouldn't have heard from them no doubt, given I haven't read anything else about other Mustang owners being contacted about it on here or other sites.
Old 29-11-2023, 07:33 AM   #6
lamborghinifan

My 14 yr old Mercedes Benz had a brake booster recall, for possible rust. Not an issue with where the car has lived its whole life. It was to be grounded, towed to dealer immediately. I politely declined the tow truck drivers call, and told them I’d be happy to drive the approx 1klm to the dealer, when they could actually book it in, and I’d refuse them parking it in their open lot for an undetermined time. They were quite stand off ish, but their terms were not agreeable. They offered a large amount of Uber credit…. Did end up getting the repair done about 5 months later. Still impressed they even did a recall that far down the line really, but still my car, my choice to some degree I felt.
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2023, 01:45 PM   #7
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

So I went and got my car back today. She said if I really want to take it, I had to sign a waiver.

Waiver was handwritten at the bottom of the car's worksheet.

This surely isn't a legit Ford procedure??

Old 04-12-2023, 01:55 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
So I went and got my car back today. She said if I really want to take it, I had to sign a waiver.

I lol'd

I don't think that holds much weight in the grand scheme of things, surprised it wasn't written on an old lol filter box
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2023, 03:28 PM   #9
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

lol, embarrassing.

Is this the “Ming Mole” in her new role ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2023, 03:31 PM   #10
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I lol'd

I don't think that holds much weight in the grand scheme of things, surprised it wasn't written on an old lol filter box
Cut them some slack, they’re usually used to dealing with Ranger owners.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2023, 06:21 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Surprised they didn't go 'its OK, they all do that' when you went to pick it up
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2023, 02:39 PM   #12
gkhn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: How to change Ford FG upper control arm bushes + Home made pressing tool 

"Ford Australia offered a 'safe' MG car but customer refused"
"I am responsible to check the brake fluid level before every drive"
Knowing MG's ANCAP ratings, I think Mustang would be my choice even with a safety recall.

Quote:

gkhn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post