Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2015, 06:54 AM   #31
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Pedestrian Run Down By Cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post

If you cause injury to someone or property and the court finds you at fault, you pay.
That only works in a country that's not bursting at the seams with incompetent Judges.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #32
LTDHO
The one and only

In Victoria it is illegal to ride a bicycle on the footpath. However a lot of people still do. It is not something that the Police try and stop. So pedestrians have to be more than aware of bike speeding up from behind.

There is next to no rider safety training, so no way to manage skills.
Registration is not the answer.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #33
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe there does need to be some sort of scheme set up for these sorts of things which is not really an opt in as it is with public liability.

I'm not sure how it would work if we don't go down the rego/licence path. It has been suggested that something be included in the sale of bikes but I don't know how far that would go to fund such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Guy in Canberra just got sued for $1.7m due to him knocking down a guy into traffic that he was cycling with.

If you are going to cycle regularly it might be a good idea to get liability insurance.
Luckily for that bloke he was apparently covered by public liability insurance via his membership with Pedal Power.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #34
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just another cyclist bashing thread ....
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #35
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
My question though is, where does all of this stop? Let's change the scenario above a little: cyclist is minding their own business doing nothing wrong as they approach an intersection where they have a green light. At the last moment a pedestrian, not observing their surroundings (probably too pre-occupied with their "smart" phone), steps out on to the pedestrian crossing part of the intersection in front of the cyclist, the cyclist just brushes against the pedestrian but takes a tumble and is badly injured. The pedestrian is fine, apart from a little bit of a scare.

Do we now 'licence' pedestrians to ensure they have CTP so that if they cause someone else injury the third party is not left vulnerable and with a large medical bill they have to fund?

This could quite quickly get out of control, with every man and his dog (literally!) needing to have CTP

Craig H
The same thing you have described can already happen to the motorist, ....... infact plenty of drivers have come to grief over the years crashing because they have had to take evasive action because some goose has walked out in front of them, and no one has ever asked pedestrians to take out insurance ...... so I don't see why they would start now.
Personally I like the idea of a cyclist paying a small contribution to the TAC when a bike is purchased...... even if it's only a small fee and govco still has to pay the Lions share of any costs, perhaps a number plate could be a voluntary thing? If cyclist X felt they might like to be seen as responsible road users, some might actually like the idea.
It could also be some incentive for cyclists who are involved in an accident to stop and render assistance..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #36
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Well for starters every bike should have mirror on it and have a go pro.
My entrance to my work carpark has a purpose built bike track that goes in front of it .
Guess who has to stop and give way to me, and guess who doesn't every time , waves their fists and calls me ******.
Even tho I'm pointing up to a give way sign they've just rode thru.
90% of them think they own the road, can do what they like, abuse drivers when it's them that are breaking the the road rules
Something's Got to be done about it
I'm sick of them flat out refusing to use a big lane because it's just not quite as smooth as the road,...the excuse...I'm allowed to ride tthe road, I don't have to use the bike lane
Whatever ********.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Not really, cyclist use the road and need to take some responsibility and should make some sort of contribution I think.......
we are all human and make mistakes , and every body knows motorists don't always do the right thing, but equelly some cyclist flout the law just the same, the difference here is that a motorist is accountable with number plates and registration and this is fact not fiction.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #38
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love all the comments of "another typical cyclist" blah blah blah.

When will you learn that there are idiot cyclists, just as much as there are idiot drivers.

Doesn't mean that every single cyclist is an idiot, just like it's stupid to say every driver is an idiot.

I do a lot of riding, and only ever have a handful of bad situations *touch wood*.

I find that when I show courtesy to drivers, it gets repaid to me, for the most part.

That's what it comes down to, courtesy.

PS. I'm not against having insurance for riders, I pay my yearly membership to Cycling Australia, which has public liability insurance included, and I'm happy to pay rego if that means you'll be fine with me taking up the whole lane, rather than currently doing my best to stay out of your way, but I get the feeling it won't change your mood at all..
Old 12-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #39
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post

Then maybe ALL cyclists should start oobeying tthe road rulez and being a bit more responsible with the mode of transport they have chosen..

The day one goes over my bonnet for not giving way will pay every cent to the damage on my car.
Like Iwould have to if i was in the wrong.
That poor person minding their own business and some iidiot on a cycle just gave them a 15000 coin medical bill????.. Cough up son imo
3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #40
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
Love all the comments of "another typical cyclist" blah blah blah.

When will you learn that there are idiot cyclists, just as much as there are idiot drivers.

Doesn't mean that every single cyclist is an idiot, just like it's stupid to say every driver is an idiot.

I do a lot of riding, and only ever have a handful of bad situations *touch wood*.

I find that when I show courtesy to drivers, it gets repaid to me, for the most part.

That's what it comes down to, courtesy.

PS. I'm not against having insurance for riders, I pay my yearly membership to Cycling Australia, which has public liability insurance included, and I'm happy to pay rego if that means you'll be fine with me taking up the whole lane, rather than currently doing my best to stay out of your way, but I get the feeling it won't change your mood at all..
Why I said 90% of them.
Not everyone flouts the rules
10% would do the right thing IMO.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #41
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
My comments couldn't be further from the truth? Are you delusional?
Yeah, you're right. The one video you posted of a Bloke who was probably on his last tether being cut off and acting like an idiot is a true representation if 100% of cyclists...

http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/cycl...accidents.html - Toronto police reports find 10% of accidents caused by cyclist
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226581475412 - more than 80% caused by drivers in SA.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public...cle3758677.ece - 68% caused by driver

You're blinded one eyed view of cyclists only makes it harder for you to see that the cyclists aren't at fault in the majority of cases. Sure there are certain cyclists who do annoying things, I experience that myself. Doesn't mean you should drive them off the road!

Go ride a bike for twenty minutes on the road, by FAR most people are very generous and will give you plenty of space and not make you feel threatened. But then one car won't give you any space at all and it feels as though your handlebars are being shortened as they go by you.

Your opinion is just that, an opinion. The facts say a different story.

In regard to keeping it OTT, unless we become incredibly litigious like the states and start using and the drop of a hat, e idea of having an 'excess' for frames over X" seemed like a good idea to me.

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:13 AM.
sexyxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #42
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I have to think attitudes have changed a lot since I rode bikes in the 60's 70's. The aggression shown by both sides (drivers and riders) wasn't there then. I guess it's just a reflection of the increase in road rage generally and perhaps drug use (or the type of drugs now used).

I was hit seriously twice by cars (once a car simply turned into a driveway in front of me cutting me off) and another time a work colleague ran into the back of me as I was exiting the car park. My grandfather also died as a result of head injuries when a driver opened a door on him while he was riding (no helmets in those days) . However, there was no apparent car versus rider aggression in those days.

I tried taking riding up again in the late 90's and it was clear things had changed even by then. I rode at night and copped a lot of abuse from drivers some who threw cans and bottles at me. It was clear from the abusive comments they thought I had no right to be on the road (and yes; I had bright lights and reflectors). It was also a pain the oncoming traffic liked to blind you with their high beam so you hit the kerbside drainage grates. At the same time there was a change in rider behaviour; rider getting rests and tows by holding onto cars and running lights and stop signs etc. More bikes were also using footpaths and forcing pedestrians out of the way.

There is also a strong bike lobby in WA and they often have right of way over all but pedestrians on shared paths. As a inline skaters (in the 2000's - since abandoned that) this was a pain as a minority of bullying cyclists used this as an excuse to come at you two abreast forcing you off the path (and aside from the dangers of falling, going of the path into sand kills expensive skate bearings). Similarly, when I walked to the Murdoch Park Train Station along the shared path there was the odd aggro cyclists going flat out who obviously didn't think pedestrians should be on the shared path and hurled abuse ("this is a cycle way you know f off") and whizzed past you as close and as fast as they could.

So I think there are faults on both sides and all road users need to return to being more considerate of those they share roads and paths with or perhaps the nutters should abandon the ice etc and go back to pot. It's doubtless a minority of both sides (riders and drivers) who create the problems and friction but they appear to be growing in number.

Last edited by aussiblue; 12-01-2015 at 11:11 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #43
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Perhaps if we went back he 50's where you paid your 2 pound at the Post Office for your bike rego and all bikes had a rego plate there would be some improvement; at least the aggro minority of cyclist would know that they might be identified for traffic violations (running lights and signs) and unwarranted aggressive or stupid acts. But yes; the police force is already overloaded and they don't need more work. In the 50's many drivers also reserved the car for weekends and cycled to and from work and that pdoubtless enhanced mutual understanding and respect - don't know how we could get that to happen again though.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
As a inline skaters (in the 2000's - since abandoned that)
That was something which picked up popularity in the 1990s and early 2000s, blast from the past, don't see that too much anymore, anywhere really.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #45
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
That was something which picked up popularity in the 1990s and early 2000s, blast from the past, don't see that too much anymore, anywhere really.
No; the cyclists have driven us underground (plus old brittle bones break more easily and slower) . Good non stress aerobic exercise.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #46
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
Then maybe ALL cyclists should start oobeying tthe road rulez and being a bit more responsible with the mode of transport they have chosen..
Why say all Cyslists should obey the road rules (rules is spelt with an S by the way)? You should be saying all Road Users should obey the road rules.

That includes Cyclists, drivers, motorbike riders et al.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #47
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

so, sympathy for the OP pedestrian, but why doesn't she take some responsibility for her actions. This is exactly why we teach our young children to look before crossing the road and not to assume it's safe just because the light has changed.

Nobody here is faultless
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #48
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Perhaps if we went back he 50's where you paid your 2 pound at the Post Office for your bike rego and all bikes had a rego plate there would be some improvement; at least the aggro minority of cyclist would know that they might be identified for traffic violations (running lights and signs) and unwarranted aggressive or stupid acts. But yes; the police force is already overloaded and they don't need more work. In the 50's many drivers also reserved the car for weekends and cycled to and from work and that pdoubtless enhanced mutual understanding and respect - don't know how we could get that to happen again though.
i like the sound of that , probably would not happen these days , the bicycle lobby here is like the US gun lobby .

more bike tracks would be a good thing too, in my neck of the woods, 19 ks north of melbourne , there are many bike tracks in melbourne, in fact if my old knees where up to it i could ride most of the way into the city via park tracks, the sad part is cyclists have zero road training, and zero incentive to learn road/community etiquette,

most of the tracks are shared with pedestrian, if you happen to be a pedestrian.............. on occasion a cyclist will just wizz past you from behind scaring the bejesus out of you, some good thoughtful riders will ring their bell and give you some warning to which i usually say thank you as they get near,
the majority however just wizz past.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #49
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why say all Cyslists should obey the road rules (rules is spelt with an S by the way)? You should be saying all Road Users should obey the road rules.

That includes Cyclists, drivers, motorbike riders et al.
to be fair i think the thread is about push bike riders.... sorry cyclists , so i would cut him some slack on that one.

And it probably is fair to say cyclists should also follow the road rules, you dont have to go far on melbourne roads to see naughty riders, two abreast, three abreast, 5 abreast, red lights, riding on the wrong side of the road.
the "hell ride" down the beach road melbourne if you ever want to see some interesting bike etiquette.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPGM...xR7og&index=26
Old 12-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #50
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow mate, just wow..

the bicycle lobby here is like the US gun lobby
Really??? I could just say that the car lobby here is like the US gun lobby.. I mean, cars kill more people than bikes.. but that would be a stupid thing to say..

the sad part is cyclists have zero road training, and zero incentive to learn road/community etiquette You're right, I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing on the road haha. What are those boxes in the sky with 3 lights? Pretty cool watching them with music on, like my own little disco..

What are the white lines on the ground when I drive around? meh, never mind them, I can just wander around weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

And when I'm riding, I just go wherever I feel like it, because nothing could possibly hurt me.. Having a car run me over would just tickle...

Oh, that was sarcasm by the way.

Just for your information, I obey all road rules when riding (probably more so than when I'm driving.. oops) including red lights, staying in my spot in the traffic, signalling etc. My incentive as you've put it, is getting to work and home alive, to get to my family alive. Is that enough incentive for you? Perhaps take 2 seconds to think before writing such stupid drivel.. That might translate across to your driving and you'll be able to chill out for a few moments while you use the steering wheel, and maybe even the pedals, to safely go around a cyclist, then go on to have a great day.

When I'm on shared paths, I will always yell out "excuse me" from a safe distance, then say thank you as I am next to them.

So, I am really sorry if your experience with cyclists is a crap one, but trust me, there are good ones out there mate.

Edit I also hate the groups that ride more than 2 abreast - it is a stupid thing to do and just annoys people like you. Whenever I see a cyclist, or a group of cyclists do something stupid it annoys me, because it just means I'll get grouped with them in driver's minds.

Last edited by DBourne; 12-01-2015 at 11:57 AM.
DBourne is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #51
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting to read your take on it blaming the cyclist.

According to the article, the car driver broke the law by entering a part of the road reserved for cyclists.
The cyclist dares to point this out to the car driver and got smashed for daring to point it out. The driver that he was arrogantly disregarding the law and other road users in potential danger........and you use it as an example of how arrogant cyclist are???

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Removed delted post quote
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #52
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wow mate, just wow..

the bicycle lobby here is like the US gun lobby
Really??? I could just say that the car lobby here is like the US gun lobby.. I mean, cars kill more people than bikes.. but that would be a stupid thing to say..

the sad part is cyclists have zero road training, and zero incentive to learn road/community etiquette You're right, I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing on the road haha. What are those boxes in the sky with 3 lights? Pretty cool watching them with music on, like my own little disco..

What are the white lines on the ground when I drive around? meh, never mind them, I can just wander around weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Oh, that was sarcasm by the way.

Just for your information, I obey all road rules when riding (probably more so than when I'm driving.. oops) including red lights, staying in my spot in the traffic, signalling etc.

When I'm on shared paths, I will always yell out "excuse me" from a safe distance, then say thank you as I am next to them.

So, I am really sorry if your experience with cyclists is a crap one, but trust me, there are good ones out there mate.

Edit I also hate the groups that ride more than 2 abreast - it is a stupid thing to do and just annoys people like you. Whenever I see a cyclist, or a group of cyclists do something stupid it annoys me, because it just means I'll get grouped with them in driver's minds.
actually i think i did say somewhere "thoughtful riders" like there are some, sorry if i have offended you Sgt Bourne.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #53
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Bicycle registration isn't the answer, just look at the number of accidents involving unlicensed drivers and unregistered cars involved in crashes.
Yes; but rego plates would make it easier to track down offenders and make them more sensitive to obeying the rules. Given the $'s spent on cycleway it would also be a way they can contribute to the associated costs. I guess there is even an equity issue noting that some bikes now cost more than some cars and can go just as fast.... Yes; I know they don't pollute.. well except for the sweaty smell when you have to share the lift with the lycra racers.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:08 PM   #54
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mik You haven't offended me at all, though thank you for offering an apology.

What frustrates me greatly, is peoples attitudes towards one another. It really doesn't need to be this hard. If there was courtesy shown to everyone on the road, by all users, it would all operate so smoothly.

Unfortunately, I can't resist biting on the bait of a thread like this, since it's an issue so close to home.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #55
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

It could have been worse http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-0...-perth/5575242
Quote:
Elderly pedestrian struck by cyclist on Bassendean bike path dies

Updated 6 Jul 2014, 10:59amSun 6 Jul 2014, 10:59am

Map: Bassendean 6054

A 95-year-old pedestrian has died after being struck by a cyclist in the Perth suburb of Bassendean.

The crash happened on a cycle path next to Guildford Road about 2:30pm yesterday.

The elderly man sustained serious head injuries and was taken to Royal Perth Hospital by ambulance, where he later died.

The cyclist, a 53-year-old man, received minor injuries.

Police are seeking information from anyone who may have seen the crash, or who saw either the pedestrian or cyclist prior to the incident.
Albeit the risk of a pedestrian being killed by a cyclist is less than of being struck by lightening see http://acrs.org.au/wp-content/upload...-and-Risk..pdf
Old 12-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #56
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

It would be nice if realistic speed limits were introduced and policed for cyclist on all shared paths http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...-1226738861563 and http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/wh...518-1yw89.html
Old 12-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #57
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

In Victoria a cyclist can ride 3 abreast in some cases and be legal

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #58
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6TCraig View Post
Interesting to read your take on it blaming the cyclist.

According to the article, the car driver broke the law by entering a part of the road reserved for cyclists.
The cyclist dares to point this out to the car driver and got smashed for daring to point it out. The driver that he was arrogantly disregarding the law and other road users in potential danger........and you use it as an example of how arrogant cyclist are???
Why does the cyclist feel compelled to enforce the road rules?
Perhaps the car driver made a mistake and didnt realise he had driven too far into the cycle area or didnt realise what its purpose was?

Yet is that deserving of getting abused on more than one occasion?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #59
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In that instance, both were being geese. unfortunately, one was a goose with 1.5 tonne of steel at his disposal, and one forgot that fact.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #60
351@GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont really want to jump in, but the car only edged forward when that particular cyclist rode in front, none of the others, * maybe he had jumped in front and slowed the car up at some of the lights previous. Videos only start where the owners want them to.

And yes there are good bad car/bike etc and theres still no excuse.
351@GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: