Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-02-2023, 07:15 PM   #61
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: The Thailand Special Thread - New Developments/News

Ofcourse they would CWool.
Hub dynos never ticked my box’s even to performance cars for it doesn’t relate to street use but I get it for the companies searching for performance figures to quote.

The witch hunts on friggin dual cabs I just finf random but I suppose we have never had a true performance product till the V6 finally arrived but what’s the point head to head to the lesser engines it doesn’t compete against in the first place.
As for a real world comparo of similar engine outputs they could set a standard load of recreational general light products, roof racks, alloy front bar no winch as I mentioned with stock wheels show us the figures.

Cheeez Franco I don’t spot much of soccer Mums in duals cab round my regular areas at all, infact none.
It’s all SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2023, 07:35 PM   #62
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Was in a late model single cab Triton a couple days ago as a passenger, the access/egress of the passenger side is a bit of a ****, its like the angle where the A pillar joins the roof you've got to crane your neck a bit to get in and out of that ****er with how high the seat sits as you step into the car.

Haven't experienced that before with other Thailand Specials, its a bit halal.

I'm not overly tall either, if you were one of these 6 foot plus gigantors might be a bit nasty on your neck if you were someone like a courier/delivery driver who is in/out of the car every 2 seconds assuming the drivers seat is similar with the access/egress.
I notice that with my daughter's Hilux. Mongrel of a thing to get in and out of. Never had that with our Ranger, nor Everest.
Old 19-02-2023, 08:12 PM   #63
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post

Cheeez Franco I don’t spot much of soccer Mums in duals cab round my regular areas at all, infact none.
It’s all SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The part of this that I love is you didn't question the unloaded Thailand Specials being driven like flogs
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-02-2023, 09:12 PM   #64
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
To be really honest...in a real world a lot also have a trailer loaded with gear and/or carry racks loaded with concrete reinforcing mesh...where do you stop?

Just testing the cab chassis seems the fairest way.
Thats why I said GCM, it includes vehicle and trailer to max combined load.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2023, 09:21 PM   #65
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be interested if someone did a bed bend test with a load in the back.
I am sure it has been done it in the past in the USA with their vehicles.
It would really show differences in rigidity ect.
Some brands would be rigid whilst other would flex like a rubber band.
This would be more relevant than quarter mile times for these things and give an insight on how each brand is really made / engineered.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2023, 12:22 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I would be interested if someone did a bed bend test with a load in the back.
I am sure it has been done it in the past in the USA with their vehicles.
It would really show differences in rigidity ect.
Some brands would be rigid whilst other would flex like a rubber band.
This would be more relevant than quarter mile times for these things and give an insight on how each brand is really made / engineered.
I've seen it done in the USA by driving them over special surface test roads that are designed to test chassis flex. From memory the F series and Silverado went through it pretty good, while the Toyota Tundra was flopping around like crazy. It's really not on a workhorse level as the others are, they don't have the full heavy duty or bigger version like GM, Ford and Ram do. It shows in sales too, the Tundras only make up a small % of the US truck market.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2023, 01:25 PM   #67
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I've seen it done in the USA by driving them over special surface test roads that are designed to test chassis flex. From memory the F series and Silverado went through it pretty good, while the Toyota Tundra was flopping around like crazy. It's really not on a workhorse level as the others are, they don't have the full heavy duty or bigger version like GM, Ford and Ram do. It shows in sales too, the Tundras only make up a small % of the US truck market.
here you go Bossxr8 for some USA stats.....just for matter of interest.
https://www.motor1.com/features/6297...g-trucks-2022/
Old 20-02-2023, 01:30 PM   #68
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
The part of this that I love is you didn't question the unloaded Thailand Specials being driven like flogs
haha yer - I see the Tradie drags early morns heading to jobs.....
It doesn't bother me compared to some, I recall all us guys doing the same in our Ford/Holden utes/vans/wagons - even though the Thai Specials don't have the outright power size matters in todays conjested roads lol......
Was I guilty using "size" to get my patch of road (or playing chicken who's more worried about damage) when verging or any other situation ? you bet ya hahaha......
I'd say Melb has its special kind of behaviour (more radars than any place I've driven round here and worst cops), more flogs than any other place in the country maybe due to its OTT nanny state governance over all these years.
Old 20-02-2023, 02:19 PM   #69
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
here you go Bossxr8 for some USA stats.....just for matter of interest.
https://www.motor1.com/features/6297...g-trucks-2022/
Cheers. Although they have lumped all size trucks into the one list. But you can see the Tundra only sells maybe 15-25% of what the US brands do with their big trucks, if you lump the sister GMC/Chev trucks together, being essentially the same vehicles.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2023, 04:27 PM   #70
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
maybe due to its OTT nanny state governance over all these years.
Funny you say that, there is far more HWP and traffic camera's in NSW, average speed camera's, Phone detection camera's, sneaky cops on bikes, safety cam, varying speed limits on highways, weighbridges pulling in truck over 4.5t (not 8t like they are suppose to be.) Concrete panel highways that should be for building cladding. Overpriced rego authority who vowed rego would get cheaper when they deregulated the 3rd party insurance scheme years ago, now being 4 times the cost.

Living in both states I find NSW is far more over regulated.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2023, 05:11 PM   #71
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They should have brought the Ford Maverick here, would be a perfect sub Ranger model with a more street focus than LCV.

If Ranger dual cab starts at that $50K mark then you'd have the Maverick come in at that $30K-$50K mark for sure.
Old 20-02-2023, 06:16 PM   #72
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Well I guess we can chuck this in here

I don't mind a basic ****box, at the end of the day you do need some vehicle which is designed for work (single cab Thailand Special).

Plus towing a trailer around is a pain in the *** I reckon, ever since I got a single cab ute we hardly use the 6x4 trailer anymore.

Tip run - ute
Bunnings run - ute
Old 20-02-2023, 06:42 PM   #73
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Well I guess we can chuck this in here

I don't mind a basic ****box, at the end of the day you do need some vehicle which is designed for work (single cab Thailand Special).

Plus towing a trailer around is a pain in the *** I reckon, ever since I got a single cab ute we hardly use the 6x4 trailer anymore.

Tip run - ute
Bunnings run - ute
The good old ute. I reckon the days are numbered in commercial use. Most real trades are moving up to 2-3T trucks now. I note service/building company policies are changing on "chain of responsibility " forcing them to buy bigger more appropriate trucks to legally carry loads required to do the work.

Interesting quote.......

Additionally, with health and safety always in mind—not only due to COVID-19, but also complying with Chain of Responsibility (CoR) obligations—it’s worth looking at whether your work vehicle continues to hit the mark in terms of payload capacity, reliability and efficiency.

Payload

No matter what your trade or service, payload will be at the top of your considerations, from both a practical and safety point of view.

Light trucks, in some cases, are as compact and easily maneuverable as utes, and are specifically engineered to handle heavier payloads than their smaller cousins. This makes trucks a sensible fit for trades and services like last mile delivery, house repairs and maintenance, construction, landscaping and excavation.

A truck with payload to spare can provide extra peace of mind, ensuring compliance with CoR obligations, and minimising the risks of potentially overloading your vehicle.

Which brings us to…

Towing capacity

Comparing the different types of commercial vehicles in the light duty space, the GCM of a light truck (starting at 8,000 kg GCM) typically outweighs that of utes or vans, helping to avoid any banana-bend situations arising from overloading the chassis.

Old 20-02-2023, 06:54 PM   #74
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Funny you say that, there is far more HWP and traffic camera's in NSW, average speed camera's, Phone detection camera's, sneaky cops on bikes, safety cam, varying speed limits on highways, weighbridges pulling in truck over 4.5t (not 8t like they are suppose to be.) Concrete panel highways that should be for building cladding. Overpriced rego authority who vowed rego would get cheaper when they deregulated the 3rd party insurance scheme years ago, now being 4 times the cost.

Living in both states I find NSW is far more over regulated.
No worries r, I guess we see things from our own experience and travels/locally.
Mine, hardy see a HWP, see some squad local ones now and then.
The traffic light/mobile cams now everyone knows of and I don't even know any friend or associate been nabbed.
Those parked speed cameras came around of late like Melb have had for as long as I can recall but have warning signs before/after, if your caught can only blame yourself not noticing.
The weighbridge checks etc obviously I'm not effected so know nothing there.
If I recall right they came along for so so many trucks light or heavy duty trucks we're POS due to neglect not being safe/road worthy by those types and I'm all for that but for sure the RMS would push the boundaries.
The other costs mentioned it is what it is when you live here, I have no worries paying thats Govs all over, positive is cars are road worthy unlike some States, what Gov ever gives back or replaces from one scheme to another.

Being you travel regional alot I'm not suprised you seeing more HWP etc, hey thats the cash cow.
I feel comfortable driving all over Sydney over the usual speed limits (10/15k easy even 20) whereas when I'm in Melb totally opposite going back 20yrs and more thats what I'm actually talking about.

Anyway sorry off topic.
Old 20-02-2023, 07:02 PM   #75
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Those parked speed cameras came around of late like Melb have had for as long as I can recall but have warning signs before/after, if your caught can only blame yourself not noticing.
Not any more, now it's just an SUV with the sign on the roof..... if you're on the ball you can pick them ok.

Old 20-02-2023, 07:03 PM   #76
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Not any more, now it's just an SUV with the sign on the roof..... if you're on the ball you can pick them ok.

I saw those when I was driving on the Hume coming back from Canberra on my road trip, you can see those things from a mile away.

I hazard guess its not the Dominoes Pizza delivery guy on the side of the road
Old 20-02-2023, 07:07 PM   #77
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I saw those when I was driving on the Hume coming back from Canberra on my road trip, you can see those things from a mile away.

I hazard guess its not the Dominoes Pizza delivery guy on the side of the road
When I was driving, anything parked on the side of the open road was suss, but they're a little harder to pick in town when they're parked in a line of other cars.
Old 20-02-2023, 07:11 PM   #78
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The good old ute. I reckon the days are numbered in commercial use. Most real trades are moving up to 2-3T trucks now. I note service/building company policies are changing on "chain of responsibility " forcing them to buy bigger more appropriate trucks to legally carry loads required to do the work.

Interesting quote.......

Additionally, with health and safety always in mind—not only due to COVID-19, but also complying with Chain of Responsibility (CoR) obligations—it’s worth looking at whether your work vehicle continues to hit the mark in terms of payload capacity, reliability and efficiency.

Payload

No matter what your trade or service, payload will be at the top of your considerations, from both a practical and safety point of view.

Light trucks, in some cases, are as compact and easily maneuverable as utes, and are specifically engineered to handle heavier payloads than their smaller cousins. This makes trucks a sensible fit for trades and services like last mile delivery, house repairs and maintenance, construction, landscaping and excavation.

A truck with payload to spare can provide extra peace of mind, ensuring compliance with CoR obligations, and minimising the risks of potentially overloading your vehicle.

Which brings us to…

Towing capacity

Comparing the different types of commercial vehicles in the light duty space, the GCM of a light truck (starting at 8,000 kg GCM) typically outweighs that of utes or vans, helping to avoid any banana-bend situations arising from overloading the chassis.

There's a new reviewer in town who used to work for one of the bigger mobs and has gone out on his own solo as a journalist, since he's new, he responds to youtube comments.

His first review was the mighty VDJ79 Land Cruiser ute, you know the one that costs an arm and a leg, has a boat anchor 4.5L V8 making 1970s power and torque figures and costs 6 figures?

I watched his review, then commented he should compare the VDJ79 to one of the Jap light trucks you can drive on a car licence, and he responded saying thats a great idea and he will try get his hands on a press vehicle from Isuzu but its low priority at the moment.

Anyway all the VDJ79 heroes come out the woodwork claiming that they ride like ****, not like the VDJ79 is known for it grand tourer ride

The fact that someone even dared try compare the VDJ79 to the Isuzu N series was so preposterous that the heroes got on the offensive

I suggest all these butthurt princesses who complain about how an Isuzu N series rides compared to their beloved VDJ79 should invest in one of those donut pillows for their poor behinds.

There's no one doing reviews of those light trucks and comparing them to the work versions of the Thailand Specials, I think there's a hole in the market there thats being overlooked.

I think most of the appeal of the VDJ79 is that it has an image attached to it of 'gruff hard working Australian man, with his Japanese ute' that they then drive unloaded as their daily driver on the freeway and it doesn't as much as see a dirt road

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 20-02-2023 at 07:17 PM.
Old 20-02-2023, 08:22 PM   #79
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
There's a new reviewer in town who used to work for one of the bigger mobs and has gone out on his own solo as a journalist, since he's new, he responds to youtube comments.

His first review was the mighty VDJ79 Land Cruiser ute, you know the one that costs an arm and a leg, has a boat anchor 4.5L V8 making 1970s power and torque figures and costs 6 figures?

I watched his review, then commented he should compare the VDJ79 to one of the Jap light trucks you can drive on a car licence, and he responded saying thats a great idea and he will try get his hands on a press vehicle from Isuzu but its low priority at the moment.

Anyway all the VDJ79 heroes come out the woodwork claiming that they ride like ****, not like the VDJ79 is known for it grand tourer ride

The fact that someone even dared try compare the VDJ79 to the Isuzu N series was so preposterous that the heroes got on the offensive

I suggest all these butthurt princesses who complain about how an Isuzu N series rides compared to their beloved VDJ79 should invest in one of those donut pillows for their poor behinds.

There's no one doing reviews of those light trucks and comparing them to the work versions of the Thailand Specials, I think there's a hole in the market there thats being overlooked.

I think most of the appeal of the VDJ79 is that it has an image attached to it of 'gruff hard working Australian man, with his Japanese ute' that they then drive unloaded as their daily driver on the freeway and it doesn't as much as see a dirt road
Do you have a link to that review?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2023, 08:22 PM   #80
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Here you go, those of you who wanted a more relevant test rather than just dyno shootouts - here you go we've now got a towing test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Do you have a link to that review?
For you good sir, of course

3 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2023, 11:40 PM   #81
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

So for anyone who doesn't want to sit through over an hour of towing tests of Thailand Specials

Nearly all the Thailand Specials couldn't make 100km/h on the laden test (excl Raptor and Wildtrack)

Stopping distances - Raptor loses out because of its junk tyres:

Fuel economy test - Mopar 6 cylinder is a right turd losing out to the American utes:

Navara and Triton are absolute bottom of the barrel turds of the whole crop, Navara got chopped by the GWM Cannon in some of the tests

Its a good test that puts paid to the absolute bull**** of these '3500kg' towing capacities, like I've said before you put most of these things up to a hill and they'd go backwards and I was right - heaps were struggling big time with 2500kg on the back let alone the extra 1000kg they're rated to.

The Navara being the consistent turd of the lot, it couldn't even make 50km/h flat to the boards up the hill.

Overall winner awarded to - RAM 1500.

There you go, in the grand Thailand Special shootout the American ute takes the award.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-02-2023 at 12:02 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 12:07 AM   #82
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Have you been in one of those small jap trucks? They ride like absolute crap. The cruiser as bad as it is would be like a rolls royce compared to those trucks. No wonder the fanboys went ya
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2023, 12:09 AM   #83
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Have you been in one of those small jap trucks? They ride like absolute crap. The cruiser as bad as it is would be like a rolls royce compared to those trucks. No wonder the fanboys went ya
Yeah I have been in those trucks before, I know they ride like crap but as I was saying the VDJ79 isn't much chop either

Its like choosing between a turd sandwich and a turd sandwich with sprinkles from the menu at the restaurant - except the pain turd sandwich costs half the price.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 08:33 AM   #84
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Owning an older fleet on country roads.. Like any real truck, they weren't meant to be driven around empty. 1/2 loaded and above to GVM they ride fine.
Every component in them is overbuilt to a larger stronger design than Thai utes.
Old and new Cruisers are everywhere around my area, most farmers and horse people use them, there's usually a 2-3T gooseneck tray truck parked in the shed alongside.

2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 09:41 AM   #85
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So for anyone who doesn't want to sit through over an hour of towing tests of Thailand Specials

Nearly all the Thailand Specials couldn't make 100km/h on the laden test (excl Raptor and Wildtrack)

Fuel economy test - Mopar 6 cylinder is a right turd losing out to the American utes:

Navara and Triton are absolute bottom of the barrel turds of the whole crop, Navara got chopped by the GWM Cannon in some of the tests

Its a good test that puts paid to the absolute bull**** of these '3500kg' towing capacities, like I've said before you put most of these things up to a hill and they'd go backwards and I was right - heaps were struggling big time with 2500kg on the back let alone the extra 1000kg they're rated to.

The Navara being the consistent turd of the lot, it couldn't even make 50km/h flat to the boards up the hill.

There you go, in the grand Thailand Special shootout the American ute takes the award.
Those fuel figures are through the roof across the board. What conditions are they getting those figures from and for how long distance?

Be good if they included a 79 in that test. Guaranteed the 79 be at the bottom of every stat.

Also, 3kN, does that equate to 3 tonne?
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2023, 10:09 AM   #86
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Owning an older fleet on country roads.. Like any real truck, they weren't meant to be driven around empty. 1/2 loaded and above to GVM they ride fine.
Every component in them is overbuilt to a larger stronger design than Thai utes.
Old and new Cruisers are everywhere around my area, most farmers and horse people use them, there's usually a 2-3T gooseneck tray truck parked in the shed alongside.
Spot on, I'm no 70/79 Series fanboi thats for sure but they just like those pantec Jap trucks and similar are designed to operate with loads that typically smooths out the crap ride, unladen ride no diff to unladen Thai Specials.
Talking with my younger nephew (mid 20's) he's quoted his mates love the 79series for their use and I'm staggered at their cost a few own them.
(todays young felllas love the 4x4 trend like we loved the Falcon/Holden of old)

Not surprised by those Rams results, its also designed to "tow", the US versions there designed to work with trailers, with electric brakes yaddayadda normal US market needs.
Nice the 2500 has coil rear end.
The biggest handicap the Rams have to our market is the "price", joe average goes straight to the Thai Specials ofcourse warts and all.....
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 11:51 AM   #87
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

3kN Laden....that's 300kg test???
I wonder how the newer RAM V8 Hemi would go.
This is the sort of vehicle professional Hotshot teams in the states are running alongside the diesel.

Old 21-02-2023, 11:53 AM   #88
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Those fuel figures are through the roof across the board. What conditions are they getting those figures from and for how long distance?

Be good if they included a 79 in that test. Guaranteed the 79 be at the bottom of every stat.

Also, 3kN, does that equate to 3 tonne?
The fuel usage tests was a lap of the test track with the trailer dyno on set to 3kN on cruise control, I'm not sure what it's the equivalent of but it's a towing torture test designed to simulate a heavy load and my lord was it torture for everything sans Raptor, Wildtrack and the American utes.

The GWM Cannon and the Ssangyong Musso, their cruise control doesn't work when towing which was an absolute joke.

Then they did a 15% grade with a 2500kg trailer on the back and the Thailand Specials struggled, again except the Raptor and the Wildtrack.

Plus some they noticed the trailer was starting to push the back of the ute around at 2500kg.

I find it ironic that the vehicles which handled it all with ease aren't diesel engines. Excl the Jeep with it's junk V6.

The Raptor tore *** up the hill to the point it started trying to break the rears loose because of those absolute junk tyres. They should offer a no cost option for HTs I reckon, 90% of the people who own Raptors won't even see a dirt road.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-02-2023 at 12:00 PM.
Old 21-02-2023, 12:06 PM   #89
roKWiz
Cabover nut

3kN converts to 300kg. So wasn't much of a load.

Old 21-02-2023, 12:08 PM   #90
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
3kN converts to 300kg. So wasn't much of a load.
There has to be more to it, because if it was only 300kg then they all would have been able to make 100km/h and wouldn't have used 30L/100km pulling only 300kg.

The Thailand Specials we're all holding gears pulling redline flat to the boards struggling to pull that thing.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-02-2023 at 12:14 PM.