Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #61
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Diesel Particulate Filter Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk74 View Post
Do Mitsubishi Tritons have DPFs at all, thinking of getting one as a work car.
Seems to be an Euro V thing, cars which are designed for Euro V emissions standards tend to have them and some Euro IV stuff does too but its not common on them.

I don't think the current Triton will as its pretty damn old.

Also easy to get big power and torque increases on the Triton through tune and exhaust as they're conservatively tuned so if you have that in mind might be alright to get one since they're real cheap at the moment.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #62
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #63
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Aussie View Post
Big Damo do you have contact details of who recodes the ecu? My wifes 2009 Focus is showing a code for a blocked DPF, been to 3 different workshops no one can clear it replaced nearly every sensor. So it seems there is a DPF issue. Ford have quoted me $6200 plus fitting. About all the cars worth.
Regards
Stephen
Dunno if it's as easy as blocking the DPF codes, as the DPF is blocked, you would have to remove or gut it too.

Dunno about the Focus diesel, but some diesels can have a manual burn off process initiated at the dealers, might be worth looking into?
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #64
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Current one doesnt, but the new one will. (Triton)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2015, 11:52 PM   #65
tlub

dpf in trucks are heaps of s---t (cummins engines) ad blue is better in our experience . but dpf can be bypassed just don't get caught
tlub is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #66
deadfish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No triton is euro4 just has egr and catalytic converter
deadfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 07:52 AM   #67
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all modern diesels have 1issue or another to comply with emissions.
dpf as per this thread
or
egr, blocked intake requiring removal and clean every `80-100K
or
adblue, another thing to fill up change filter, run it dry and thing will go into limp home mode of some sort

but they still pull like a train, oh the mountain of effortless torque
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #68
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Dunno if it's as easy as blocking the DPF codes, as the DPF is blocked, you would have to remove or gut it too.

Dunno about the Focus diesel, but some diesels can have a manual burn off process initiated at the dealers, might be worth looking into?
Most recent scan tools will be able to manually trigger a burn off, but the problem is its probably too far gone to do it, the DPF might just be blocked too badly or just toasted.

Better off cutting it out, and having it turned off in ECU, its not worth replacing it for $6K when the car is worth $8K unfortunately.
Old 26-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #69
Cold Aussie
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Re: Diesel Particulate Filter Problems

Yesterday I picked up the wifes 2009 diesel focus from the 3rd service centre that couldnt fix the engine malfunction issue caused by the DPF. I took it home and put it up on my hoist. There are 2 muffler shaped boxes in the exhaust, one connected directly to the turbo. The other directly aft of the first connected by a short lentgh of flex. Both have some type of sensor at the engine end. The second has what looks like 2 vacuum lines one front one rear.
I removed the later chamber and cleaned it. Firstly I stood it on its end and filled it with water and caustic drain cleaner. I let it soak for 15 minutes then flushed it out with a hose, in the reverse direction of the exhaust flow. I repeated the process and again flushed with the hose. I then used my high pressure cleaner from both directions and stood the chamber on its end to dry.
I refitted the chamber and drove for 8 kms at 3000rpm to dry it out. The engine management warning has gone, the engine light is out and it runs better than it ever has.
My options where $6500 to replace the DPF, or 2 hours labour and $15 for some caustic.
All 4 bolts holding the chamber to the exhaust broke! No big deal I drove them out and replaced them with some 7/16 316 I had laying around.
I have also found a company that will re tune the ECU to remove the DPF and improve performance etc.
Regards
Stephen
Cold Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #70
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk74 View Post
Do Mitsubishi Tritons have DPFs at all, thinking of getting one as a work car.
Don't do it, read some reports on productreview.com about them, we have them at work, 2 of them have needed motor replacements before 100,000 kays.
I hate driving them, heaps of turbo lag, soft rear springs if you want to tow anything, they are cheap for a reason.
Old 26-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #71
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Most recent scan tools will be able to manually trigger a burn off, but the problem is its probably too far gone to do it, the DPF might just be blocked too badly or just toasted.

Better off cutting it out, and having it turned off in ECU, its not worth replacing it for $6K when the car is worth $8K unfortunately.
Agreed mate. I've just bought a Grand Cherokee diesel with the DPF and it worries me as I intend to keep the thing indefinitely. Some Jeep dealers are now claiming that as the DPF is a filer, it's not warrantable!!! with any luck, someone will come up with an ECU byapss and gut the damn thing for GC's.

Presumably though, there's going to be a nice cottage industry for someone to cut DPF's open, clean out and zip them back up.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #72
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Agreed mate. I've just bought a Grand Cherokee diesel with the DPF and it worries me as I intend to keep the thing indefinitely. Some Jeep dealers are now claiming that as the DPF is a filer, it's not warrantable!!! with any luck, someone will come up with an ECU byapss and gut the damn thing for GC's.

Presumably though, there's going to be a nice cottage industry for someone to cut DPF's open, clean out and zip them back up.
Any performance workshop who does modern diesels will be able to turn off DPF functions if they've got control over the ECU to do tuning etc. Then its just a matter of cutting it out and putting a new section of pipe in, or doing the whole exhaust while you're there lol.

While you're there run her up on the dyno and make some touch ups
Old 26-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #73
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloody hell what a nightmare!

No wonder France is starting to ban diesel cars in Paris and even give tax incentives to non diesel car buyers.

Give it a few more years and diesels will be obsolete.

Make way for more advanced LPG and Electric vehicles I say!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Things like Ford's Ecoboost engines are making me question my allegience to diesels but for now diesel is still winning the torque output when it comes to higher torque figures.
Old 26-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #75
Windsor220
Now Fordless

A lot of people dont know how to fix DPF faults so they just quote a new system. As mentioned earlier they can be reverse flushed with water. Also sometimes you can trick the system into thinking its been replaced then just carry out a burn or take it for a hard drive and that usually clears them up.

Diesels are turning into a pig of a thing these days. They weren't built to be constricted by emissions
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #76
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I feel with diesel engines at the moment we're in the equivilent to the 1970s/1980s for the petrol V8 how they got strangled badly by emissions regulations, look at the Chev 305/350 from the 1980s, 170HP lol.

They're just quickly coming up with bandaid solutions for emissions regulations.

We've had a big jump with common rail/direct injection engines, then we've stalled again with DPF, it seems the latest diesels with SCR system on top of the DPF are having no way near as many problems with them then just DPF cars.
Old 26-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #77
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Electric cars will take over in the next 10 years. There is only so much they can do to a petrol motor emission wise and diesels are still clogging up the air even with the stuff they have hanging off them.
Old 26-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #78
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Who cares if it sounds like a tram, as long as they have a manual option and it goes fast its all good.
Old 26-03-2015, 09:33 PM   #79
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Electric cars will take over in the next 10 years. There is only so much they can do to a petrol motor emission wise and diesels are still clogging up the air even with the stuff they have hanging off them.
I`m not so sure, the people selling the electric models put the good points forward, and you would expect nothing less, but look closely with a magnifying glass at how the batteries are made , one has to wonder if it really is better regarding pollution and use of resources to make the batteries.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 09:55 PM   #80
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Basically there isnt a diesel in existance at the moment that can meet Euro 7 standards.

Euro 7 permissable NOx levels is half that of Euro 6 which is impossible to meet with current technology apparently. Enjoy your diesels while you can.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #81
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Basically there isnt a diesel in existance at the moment that can meet Euro 7 standards.

Euro 7 permissable NOx levels is half that of Euro 6 which is impossible to meet with current technology apparently. Enjoy your diesels while you can.
That applies only to new cars :-)
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 10:42 PM   #82
deadfish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Punch the catalyst out of the dpf and refit, the pre and aft sensors will always read 100% flow so won't ever need to do a burn lol, never tried it but heard off a few people it works...
deadfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2015, 01:00 AM   #83
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I`m not so sure, the people selling the electric models put the good points forward, and you would expect nothing less, but look closely with a magnifying glass at how the batteries are made , one has to wonder if it really is better regarding pollution and use of resources to make the batteries.
The pollution created by battery production is more than a normal car but its not that great and its only a one off. Old batteries are recycled so resources should be ok. The biggest concern is charging the car from coal power plants but that is an issue the country needs to sort out.
Old 27-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #84
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
The pollution created by battery production is more than a normal car but its not that great and its only a one off. Old batteries are recycled so resources should be ok. The biggest concern is charging the car from coal power plants but that is an issue the country needs to sort out.
I`m not so sure , i think modern petrol cars are actually pretty clean these days, and the beauty of the internal combustion engine is it can run on many fuels..... even clean ones.

not to many rare earth elements used in basic petrol cars, and a basic car imo opinion would run rings around any electric car when all things are considered cost/pollution/cost of manufacture/infrastructure cost .

but well agree to disagree
Old 27-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #85
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Basically there isnt a diesel or petrol in existance at the moment that can meet Euro 7 standards.

fixed it for you,
and most new diesel meet euro6 while petrol doesn't.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 01:03 AM   #86
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember reading some time ago an article talking about the emissions of a new car just released released..... I think it was a Honda? They went on to say the emissions coming out of the exhaust where cleaner than China's air, and they where not joking, they had ppm comparison, just a bit of trivia .
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2015, 01:05 AM   #87
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You could probably put your mouth over a smelly dirty old Land Cruiser exhaust pipe with a 2H diesel in it, and it would be better health wise for you than China's air
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #88
mbv
Starter Motor

I am most interested in this solution. Can you give the mix of water and caustic drain cleaner? Also what brand drain cleaner - just out of interest? I have a few other questions but they're probably better for a pm. Can't do that yet!

Cheers,
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Aussie View Post
Yesterday I picked up the wifes 2009 diesel focus from the 3rd service centre that couldnt fix the engine malfunction issue caused by the DPF. I took it home and put it up on my hoist. There are 2 muffler shaped boxes in the exhaust, one connected directly to the turbo. The other directly aft of the first connected by a short lentgh of flex. Both have some type of sensor at the engine end. The second has what looks like 2 vacuum lines one front one rear.
I removed the later chamber and cleaned it. Firstly I stood it on its end and filled it with water and caustic drain cleaner. I let it soak for 15 minutes then flushed it out with a hose, in the reverse direction of the exhaust flow. I repeated the process and again flushed with the hose. I then used my high pressure cleaner from both directions and stood the chamber on its end to dry.
I refitted the chamber and drove for 8 kms at 3000rpm to dry it out. The engine management warning has gone, the engine light is out and it runs better than it ever has.
My options where $6500 to replace the DPF, or 2 hours labour and $15 for some caustic.
All 4 bolts holding the chamber to the exhaust broke! No big deal I drove them out and replaced them with some 7/16 316 I had laying around.
I have also found a company that will re tune the ECU to remove the DPF and improve performance etc.
Regards
Stephen
mbv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #89
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

O
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
I wonder how many people are using the wrong oil in these cases of failure? Engines with DPFs require low ash oils and oil for older diesels are not suitable.
A lot. Even stealerships can have the wrong oil.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #90
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Yeap and allot of people dont notice and will not put in the correct oil.