Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #31
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mobile phone detecting cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Maybe its me but I'm convinced there seems to be more accidents involving new cars than old.....maybe its all the screens, electronic bells, whistles which distract and the notion drivers think they are more invincible in a newer car taking bigger risks.
Spot on roKWiz took many distractions.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2019, 06:21 PM   #32
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe its me but I'm convinced there seems to be more accidents involving new cars than old.....maybe its all the screens
With physical switchgear, you could feel your way to the correct switch without looking. Can't do that with a touchscreen. And from my experience, many cars bring up warning messages that don't self-cancel, you have to cancel them to get your screen back. How this stuff got past our supposedly rigorous ADR's is beyond me. It's a huge safety oversight.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #33
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
With physical switchgear, you could feel your way to the correct switch without looking. Can't do that with a touchscreen. And from my experience, many cars bring up warning messages that don't self-cancel, you have to cancel them to get your screen back. How this stuff got past our supposedly rigorous ADR's is beyond me. It's a huge safety oversight.
True about physical buttons. I hate the idea of cars like Tesla where everything’s done via the screen. Screw that, I want all AC and the basic stereo controls done via tactical buttons.
Luckily all cars with screens that I have driven have done this.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #34
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

One of the first cameras was at the intersection of Hume Hwy and Stacey Street Bankstown - where the water tank is.

Only issue I have is that these cameras will only work from the front - peering through the windscreen I assume.

Phones when mounted can still be touched for calls, navigation and music. So, are they just going to target people where the phone is actually in their hands and not mounted?

So, in theory, a person can be texting away while stopped at the lights and these cameras are useless.

Same with people that leave their phones sitting at the base of their console - the angle of the camera would not detect them fidgeting as the phone will be out of the line of sight.

Don't get me wrong - I hate people using their phones when driving, seen to many near misses but once clever people learn of the weaknesses and shortcomings of this they will just work their way around being caught (watch sales of phone mounts skyrocket).

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've just come back from Adelaide a few hours ago - its my 6th trip going between Melbourne and Adelaide now in the past two years.

I went the Western Highway route for the first time on the way over on Thursday and you're on this dual lane freeway that turns into a highway with a paltry 110-100-80km/h speed limit and going through a few towns, add in some traffic, road works slowing everything down putting in those useless wire rope barriers and the typical wipe off 5 slowpokes or grey nomads getting in the way, the car was showing an average speed of 75km/h across 600km between my driveway and Tailem Bend in SA.

On the way back I did my usual run where I hit all the back roads between the farms, some sort of half tarmac half gravel type roads where theres hardly anyone around and I go significantly faster than the 100 km/h speed limit, its just farms and wind turbines around - theres a good 100km of these roads where you come across very few people, 600km from Tailem Bend to my driveway, car was showing average speed of 98km/h.

The latter, I'm too busy concentrating rather than thinking about looking at my phone.

Ever thought the reason people use their phones is that the limits are so god damn low around the capital cities that inattention becomes the problem? Tullamarine Freeway is 6 lanes wide in either direction at some points and its 80km/h and even then you're lucky to be doing 40km/h in peak hour, half the time its at a crawl, might bump off the back of someone at 10km/h if you're too busy looking at your phone.

Mind you me waking up at 5AM, only making one fuel stop, 600km into the trip without drinking or eating, then going to bed 3:30AM and then waking up at 6AM and doing the same thing return seems to be less of a concern to the authorities than if I was using my phone in my daily commute behind the wheel while I'm crawling along at 20km/h for the road I'm paying over $2000/year to use.

In SA they seem to be more concerned about people not wearing seatbelts than anything else They've got all these seatbelt campaigns along the Dukes Highway - who doesn't wear seatbelts?

Sounds like revenue raising to me - NSW will introduce it and VIC will have it looking at everyones driveway.

The Government needs to spend less time babying people, the road toll is only something like 300 people per year, more males die from suicide every year but you don't make money preventing suicide but you do from someone using their phone while driving or doing 3km/h over the speed limit.

300 deaths per year out of 25 million people is an acceptable casualty rate to me, especially considering the length of the average commute has increased significantly.

I'd say just quietly thats because of advancements in technology rather than the effect of speed cameras and now phone cameras.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 06-07-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2019, 11:10 PM   #36
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I've just come back from Adelaide a few hours ago - its my 6th trip going between Melbourne and Adelaide now in the past two years.

I went the Western Highway route for the first time on the way over on Thursday and you're on this dual lane freeway that turns into a highway with a paltry 110-100-80km/h speed limit and going through a few towns, add in some traffic, road works slowing everything down putting in those useless wire rope barriers and the typical wipe off 5 slowpokes or grey nomads getting in the way, the car was showing an average speed of 75km/h across 600km between my driveway and Tailem Bend in SA.

On the way back I did my usual run where I hit all the back roads between the farms, some sort of half tarmac half gravel type roads where theres hardly anyone around and I go significantly faster than the 100 km/h speed limit, its just farms and wind turbines around - theres a good 100km of these roads where you come across very few people, 600km from Tailem Bend to my driveway, car was showing average speed of 98km/h.

The latter, I'm too busy concentrating rather than thinking about looking at my phone.

Ever thought the reason people use their phones is that the limits are so god damn low around the capital cities that inattention becomes the problem? Tullamarine Freeway is 6 lanes wide in either direction at some points and its 80km/h and even then you're lucky to be doing 40km/h in peak hour, half the time its at a crawl, might bump off the back of someone at 10km/h if you're too busy looking at your phone.

Mind you me waking up at 5AM, only making one fuel stop, 600km into the trip without drinking or eating, then going to bed 3:30AM and then waking up at 6AM and doing the same thing return seems to be less of a concern to the authorities than if I was using my phone in my daily commute behind the wheel while I'm crawling along at 20km/h for the road I'm paying over $2000/year to use.

In SA they seem to be more concerned about people not wearing seatbelts than anything else They've got all these seatbelt campaigns along the Dukes Highway - who doesn't wear seatbelts?

Sounds like revenue raising to me - NSW will introduce it and VIC will have it looking at everyones driveway.

The Government needs to spend less time babying people, the road toll is only something like 300 people per year, more males die from suicide every year but you don't make money preventing suicide but you do from someone using their phone while driving or doing 3km/h over the speed limit.

300 deaths per year out of 25 million people is an acceptable casualty rate to me, especially considering the length of the average commute has increased significantly.

I'd say just quietly thats because of advancements in technology rather than the effect of speed cameras and now phone cameras.

Maybe preventable deaths does not mean anything to you but to others it means a lot, especially when it is someone from your family.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2019, 11:51 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Maybe preventable deaths does not mean anything to you but to others it means a lot, especially when it is someone from your family.

Cheers.
Are suicides not 'preventable deaths' or did I miss the terms and conditions where 'preventable deaths with revenue raising opportunity exists'?

Modern cars basically drive themselves these days, they brake, they keep themselves within the white lines, they reverse parallel park and they match the speed of traffic around them - what's so bad about someone using their phone in these cars?

It would be a good experiment - we should put it on cruise control and let it bounce itself between the white lines on either side of a lane, no hands on the wheel and no pedals see how well these systems work.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:06 AM   #38
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What they should also do is fine the idiots that stand at the edge of a crossing talking on their phone - they're dangerous and slow everyone down.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #39
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

But Franco the Victorian road death toll is significantly up on previous years.

I still reckon we have to go back to resitting the drivers test every so many years. There's just to many stupid drivers on the road or IMHO don't even have licences.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #40
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Are suicides not 'preventable deaths' or did I miss the terms and conditions where 'preventable deaths with revenue raising opportunity exists'?

Modern cars basically drive themselves these days, they brake, they keep themselves within the white lines, they reverse parallel park and they match the speed of traffic around them - what's so bad about someone using their phone in these cars?

It would be a good experiment - we should put it on cruise control and let it bounce itself between the white lines on either side of a lane, no hands on the wheel and no pedals see how well these systems work.

Not all cars have these features and what's so bad about someone using their phone in these cars so you ask, well it is obvious......Distraction! Distraction! Distraction!

Think it been proven beyond doubt mobile phone use in vehicles is one hazard we all can do without but if you think otherwise then so be it but don't whinge when govco starts collecting $$$$ from you when caught using it.

Cheers
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #41
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh please tell me your journey route< Iam all for joining you rather than that stupid highway.
Then add the Adelaide-Augusta, came back yesterday, 3 times I came across, 3 caravans in convoy, add one learner driver plus overwide loads. Its fun passing convoys in a 2.5L Subaru with trailer. Met one of those caravanners in Augusta, I could tell by his attitude when approaching me what he was going to say. I advised him to shut his gob, turn around and go back to nagging wife else he might find his caravan parked where the sun dont shine.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
But Franco the Victorian road death toll is significantly up on previous years.

I still reckon we have to go back to resitting the drivers test every so many years. There's just to many stupid drivers on the road or IMHO don't even have licences.
Wasn't it something like circa 1000 people per year died on Victorian roads back in the 1970s? That was when there was 13 people living in Melbourne and only 50% of them owned cars

Melbourne is the fastest growing capital city in the nation and only 300 odd people out of the 5M plus people commuting around the joint are dying on the roads - compare the traffic and commute of Melbourne 1970 to Melbourne 2019, thats just improvements in technology, sensible things like wearing seat belts, etc.

The first time I come across traffic lights was my license test, I'd done just about all my hours on country highway, then the next day I was picking up company cars in South Melbourne and driving them back to Essendon with no god damn clue on how to drive in traffic and the faintest idea of road rules.

The licensing system needs overhaul, you just do 120 hours with your parents who pass their bad habits onto you, then you just have to know the rules enough to pass the test then you just drive how you want, the fact we've got such a low road toll with over 5M retards driving about in our capital city should be something of a scientific study.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Not all cars have these features and what's so bad about someone using their phone in these cars so you ask, well it is obvious......Distraction! Distraction! Distraction!

Think it been proven beyond doubt mobile phone use in vehicles is one hazard we all can do without but if you think otherwise then so be it but don't whinge when govco starts collecting $$$$ from you when caught using it.

Cheers
So how about the people with modern cars with these features can use mobile phones while driving?

I probably wouldn't be so distracted if I wasn't doing 80km/h at 3AM when its me and maybe only 40 other cars on a 6 lane wide either direction well maintained freeway I'm paying to use.

Mobile phone use while driving is a symptom of creating ridiculous conditions people feel that they don't have to concentrate while driving - you're literally incentivising people to distract themselves because they're trying to legislate away calculated risk.

I think people are failing to realise the more BS rules and the more people get told 'you can't do that' - the more they will think **** you, I'm going to do it anyway and they go and do it.

I've never been fined in the 9 years I've been on our roads and all my cars are illegally modified, I speed everywhere, use my phone while driving and I do the occasional over the limit drink drive from time to time if I'm not staying in Melbourne overnight and there's functions on.

You need to put in more effort than rotating mobile speed cameras in the same locations and placing them on certain points on our freeways and cities, my GPS tells me fixed camera locations, there's resources like Melbourne Speed Cameras and Booze Bus locations on Facebook to keep on top of and apps like Waze that the community report police locations with.

These mobile phone cameras, they'll put them on certain sections of the freeway, people will catch on and you just use your phone between these points and continue on your way.

The phone while driving appears to be huge proportions here in Melbourne, was talking to my Adelaide colleague and without prompt its the first thing he mentioned when he was on the roads around here is that people don't even try to hide they're doing it.

I've got a good idea, how about stop worrying about trying to chase up someone using their phone while driving and put more resources into stopping the reffos on the rampage across Melbourne at the moment with their break and enter sprees and all the shootings going on across the city?

Oh wait that would cost money not make it.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-07-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #44
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Franco, You wouldn't like the point to point camera's (average speed) then they use on the Hume in NSW. (Uses the safetycam system) Apparently catching out a lot of interstate drivers.
I thought there was 5 million in Victoria and 4m live in Melbourne.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Franco, You wouldn't like the point to point camera's (average speed) then they use on the Hume in NSW. (Uses the safetycam system) Apparently catching out a lot of interstate drivers.
I thought there was 5 million in Victoria and 4m live in Melbourne.
They have point to point cameras in South Australia on the Dukes Highway in a couple of spots, same with the South Eastern Freeway.

My GPS tells you how far away speed camera locations are, if its point to point cameras then it calculates your average speed over the distance between the camera locations - it goes off its head beeping if you are coming close to camera locations and if you go above the speed limit averages between point to point cameras.

Its a good bit of kit.

Melbourne itself went 5 million people in 2018:

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...30-p500rm.html

It grew by 1 million people in 8 years, basically every decade its growing by an entire Adelaide.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #46
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Melbourne itself went 5 million people in 2018:

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...30-p500rm.html

It grew by 1 million people in 8 years, basically every decade its growing by an entire Adelaide.
Glad I live here then.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Politics is just knee jerk reactions on emotional topics - look at Melbourne and its ugly WWII concrete tank traps all over the joint now because two people decided to drive through pedestrians and kill people.

More people die from falling off ladders than terrorism in Melbourne but no lets put ugly concrete things that look like WWII tank traps all through the city rather than address the systematic failure of Victoria Police's management structure that kept this moron on the loose for hours.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:56 PM   #48
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Politics is just knee jerk reactions on emotional topics - look at Melbourne and its ugly WWII concrete tank traps all over the joint now because two people decided to drive through pedestrians and kill people.

More people die from falling off ladders than terrorism in Melbourne but no lets put ugly concrete things that look like WWII tank traps all through the city rather than address the systematic failure of Victoria Police's management structure that kept this moron on the loose for hours.
Yes, Sydney is the same with concrete block stoppers everywhere.