Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #631
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 
Default Common Problems with the AU??

Hoses to and from the engine cooler fitted to the 220 and 250kw AU's are prone to rubbing against the crossmember and wearing through. I recently sourced a more flexible replacement as this happened to me and have posted the quotes for people to use if they like. Quite well priced at the time and the supplier is able to mail if that's what people want. Quotes for both black kevlar/nomex braided (black is the more flexible option) and steel braided silver here: http://fordforums.com.au/showpost.ph...&postcount=166
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #632
witenden
Starter Motor

Default Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Gents, I have an AUII and the central locking failed...I replaced the failed gear assembly and it works fine...but... now the key won't lock or unlock the unit...any clues???
Paul.
witenden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #633
Wolfghost
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by witenden View Post
Gents, I have an AUII and the central locking failed...I replaced the failed gear assembly and it works fine...but... now the key won't lock or unlock the unit...any clues???
Paul.
Did you replace the actuators and key barrel lock assembly
Wolfghost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #634
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

sounds like the link rod that comes off the lock barrel was removed but not refitted?? If the key turns in the lock then that's it - if it doesn't turn then it was maybe refitted incorrectly. (Probably should be on it's own thread this question)
TE2 #116
Old 16-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #635
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8der View Post
The most common problem on every AU is the curved dash and lack of aftermarket double din fascia
As you have a Falcon dash you'll be particularly happy to see this:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11414819
TE2 #116
Old 22-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #636
TRAU BLAU

Just booked in for a Cat.Back exhaust system to be fitted.I've been quoted $420,$395 & I'm getting it done for $340.Which includes the 2 lengths;1/with small box & big box & 2nd with small box.With the rusted out holes that have made it sound like a V8 it's been losing power & fuel economy.Hopefully they will improve with new system.
TRAU BLAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #637
witenden
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfghost View Post
Did you replace the actuators and key barrel lock assembly
I replaced the white plastic gear in the actuator only, when the remote actuates the lock it holds out the mechanism for the key and the push down button on the door.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #638
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Anyone have had problems with heater valves? mine is leaking from it but not sure if the valve is cracked or the hose is worn. Will check later tonight.
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #639
witenden
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverT2TE50 View Post
sounds like the link rod that comes off the lock barrel was removed but not refitted?? If the key turns in the lock then that's it - if it doesn't turn then it was maybe refitted incorrectly. (Probably should be on it's own thread this question)
Thanks bloke, but the rods are connected and work if I fudge it. How do I make this as it own thread?
Old 30-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #640
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3 View Post
Anyone have had problems with heater valves? mine is leaking from it but not sure if the valve is cracked or the hose is worn. Will check later tonight.
Check to see if your heater is working, if not its the tap & if it is, the pipe needs replacing.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #641
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3 View Post

Mine cracked a few years ago and it went from a tiny leak to a huge one just by touching it. It was one of a few cooling system components that leaked when the engine was running hot due to retarded ignition timing (15% due to a slipped harmonic balancer).
TE2 #116
Old 30-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #642
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Check to see if your heater is working, if not its the tap & if it is, the pipe needs replacing.

cheers, Maka
I'll add that if its cracked it'll still heat but leak so as soon as you suss it out you'll know what the go is, i'm going heater tap failure of some sort!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #643
TRAU BLAU

My AU Wagon hasn't got any leaks now after fixing them.New exhaust($352 with 2 new rubbers),battery,rego paid.I'll get 2 new tyres on the back then the front.But if I keep to the speed limit & watch out for red-light cameras etc.It's all cool cruising in this beaut.weather that's just starting.
TRAU BLAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #644
fordfalconed

Talking Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Gidday lads,

Was losing coolant slowly on my 230K AU S3 Sedan Petrol then swapped with new oem reservoir cap and leaking has gone.

Thought it might be hairline crack on radiator or hoses but coolant fluid level stays constant when totally cool and no need for topping it off.
fordfalconed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #645
dopeydazza

Sad to stay I found some rust behind tail lights, holes into boot space.
Not sure if connected, but globe holder for right rear tail lights was also snapped off, wondering if holder rubbef / vibrated into rust hole edges.

Therefore I must be a potato.
dopeydazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #646
rosefisted
Starter Motor

Airbag error code "33" (in non passenger airbag Forte). Fixed by replacing original 3 Ohm resistor with a 10 Ohm unit.

Rear LHS passenger seatbelt retractor not working. Fixed with silicon spray.

Front power windows biding/sticking. Fixed with silicon spray.

Brake light switch failure. Fixed with replacement Tridon switch from SuperCheap.
rosefisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #647
Wittywoo
Starter Motor

Hi guys this is my first post on here �� and I'm the new owner of a au falcon ute xl 2001 .
I got the ute with a transmission fault!!!!! (But it was cheap).
So first question: what could be the problem?????
It drives but clunks and jumps in and out of gear and slips...
Ive topped the transmission oil up but that didn't work so apart from new box what else could it be???? Any advise would be great guys ������ witty
Wittywoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #648
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stuffed solenoid, but those vary in price from about $80 each i think is the cheapest up to about $240
Have you serviced it yet?, you should service it so you can inspect the oil condition, and if anything is in there like bits of the clutch packs etc...and metal
A scan will reveal if you have a faulty solenoid.
The neutral safety switch is also known to cause a bit of havoc in the btr's
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #649
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz_ View Post
Hey guys guess what I've fixed all of the problems with my Falcon after a whole 2 months of ownership!

Traded it in and bought a Holden :

(Seriously though there was nothing major wrong with it... Just too much of a work ute for someone that didn't need a work ute)
Be sure to keep us up dated with all the problems you find with your holden...
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #650
red_hotxr6
Banned

Default Re: smart lock remotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefozzy View Post
I have a 98 fairmont & would like to know how to programme the smart lock remotes can anyone help.
May be too late but put the key in the ignition, turn to access, depress the demister button 3 times in 5 secs, press the door lock button on the remote...the buttons will cycle up and down a couple of times, and thats it
Old 18-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #651
red_hotxr6
Banned

As i have just purchased a AU XR6 SERIES 3, dec 2001, the info on here was so welcomed and informative...at the moment, the power windows are on the blink but i know how to fix them, boot struts arent on the car, and it looks like the brakes/rotors need to be replaced. But otherwise the car is brilliant..thanks for the info from all those that have or had an AU.
Old 18-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #652
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yeah pulling apart the AU window buttons is par for the course, i did all mine a year or so ago and it fixed them for the most part - also replacement buttons aren't that expensive at the wrecker
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #653
red_hotxr6
Banned

would have thought ford would have solved that little problem by series 2....
Old 18-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #654
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

nope, lasted through all series

if it aint not broke, don't fix it :P
Old 18-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #655
red_hotxr6
Banned

Also, throughout all the posts..seems the power windows and the brakes/rotors were the main problem..seems to me that the driver is to blame for the rotors, as i have never had to replace one ever..methinks we have alot of lead foots here..lol
Old 18-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #656
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

the problem is not with the drivers, it's a design flaw - i've owned 13 Falcons and they have all warped, except for the one i have now but it only has 12,700KM on it at the moment so give it time. Also has bigger brakes than any of the others being a Turbo so i'll wait and see. My AUs brakes are warped and are terrible from high speed braking situations.
Old 18-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #657
red_hotxr6
Banned

Well maybe you have just proved my point, as i have never had it happen to me, as i have had a few fords through my life time, but then i have never thrashed my fords, and all ways allow for a proper stopping distance, unlike some whom i have driven with and try to stop on the dot. Or maybe you have just been unlucky..
Old 18-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #658
red_hotxr6
Banned

Got my report/rwc today and
rear tyres are miss matched
boot lid no strut
rear brake lights dont work....had that done immediately..$30..
headlights are blue..not legal.
tint is coming off 1 window
passenger side power windows do not work
park lights do not work
rotors need machining
lh number plate light no workee
rear stubaxle rubbers perished
no horn......
jax quick fit are doing the rotors and tyres for me tomorrow...
Old 18-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #659
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6 View Post
Well maybe you have just proved my point, as i have never had it happen to me, as i have had a few fords through my life time, but then i have never thrashed my fords, and all ways allow for a proper stopping distance, unlike some whom i have driven with and try to stop on the dot. Or maybe you have just been unlucky..
like i said it's nothing (or very rarely) to do with how it's driven, all it takes is running through a puddle with hot brakes, boom, done. I don't thrash my cars, the only one that has seen some heavy braking and mountain driving is my XR Turbo, and that's the only one that HASN'T warped.
Old 18-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #660
red_hotxr6
Banned

hey, fair enough..not trying to disprove, actually i wondered about the water on the open brakes/rotors when i was washing the car.