Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 09-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
mr2ns
Starter Motor

Default 86 Ford Laser Cutting Out

Guys have an auto ford laser 86, carby, no ps, ac, i think its KC model.
hatchback 1.6L.

When car is cold you can be driving it cuts out.
Smells really bad of fuel
only getting 300kms per tank if im lucky. sometimes 250kms
When you accelerate in cold you can sometimes here the choke butterfly click.
No matter warm or cold i pull up to lights i have to chuck in neuteral otherwise car puts puts and almost cuts out. In neuteral its has smoother revs.

Timing has been checked
Last time i did service i put some carby cleaner.

Do i need a new carby?
Is there any how to guides on how to replace?

mr2ns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Samy82

You wont need a new car just yet, but this one may be tired an need a reco. Is it blowing black smoke? Check the air filter too. Not alot of things to go wrong with these little beauties.
Samy82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
mr2ns
Starter Motor

no only when cold but that could just be the cold right now as its parked outside.
Air filter is fine. I do a service every 10k and it was replaced a couple of months ago.
I suspect its a carby.

instead of wasting money on getting someone to reco, how hard out of 10 is it to just get one from a wrecker and swap it?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Samy82

Not hard at all, you just take off the old one and connect up the new one, BUT you could run into the same problem as with this one. Have you tried tuning the carby? Idle speed, air flow etc.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
mr2ns
Starter Motor

hmm ok.

Nope, I dont know how.
Is there a write up somewhere? i got a haynes manual but im pretty sure i looked and didnt find anything useful?
Old 09-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Samy82

Not 100% on this but there should be 2 screws on the carby that should screw in and out and should change the way the car runs. Unfortunately carbys are abit before my time and everything I saw in the workshop was mainly EFI. Some come with mixer screws, some don't just check all the vacuum hoses going to or from the carby too to make sure they aren't cracked. This will make it run poo too.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
mr2ns
Starter Motor

I will look for cracks on the hoses. I did check all hoses were fastened.

I will also look for these 2 screws when i get home tonight

Thanks for your help
Old 11-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
mr2ns
Starter Motor

Couldnt see any cracks. All hoses fastened
But heres something
The 1st cylinder is not working. I replaced the spark plug and no difference. I see spark from dizzy to lead and lead to plug. What could be the issue?
Theres alot of smell of fuel and car does not run good on idle.
I adjusted the idle screw and it made a slight difference but still cuts out. If you stick it in Drive or Reverse it just cuts out a after a few seconds. No acceleration. If you drive and then stop it cuts out.

Could it be the fuel mixture screw. I need to get the 1st cylinder running 1st before adjusting anything i guess?
Old 27-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
Samy82

Yeah you need to figure out why number 1 cylinder isn't firing... Has the timing been checked?
Old 28-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
mr2ns
Starter Motor

well did a compression test and 1 cylnder was 0 psi. i did a check of the 3rd and it was 110... so im goin to sell as is shortly as a new car has been purchased... Hopefully can sell for rego...
Old 28-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
Samy82

That was the next thing I was going to suggest... Headgasket?