Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 10-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
Nitrobuggies
Starter Motor

Default A new FiST joins the Family

Hey Guys,

After months of not knowing what car i wanted, or if i was even going to buy one i finally decided late last month (a few days before xmas) to bite the bullet and get something. After a few days hitting as many dealerships as i could looking at what was available under 30k the only thing that stuck out was the Fiesta ST (although the boffin at Hyundai thought the i30 would be a better sports car, without even talking about the velostar). Some car sales men really are idiots. But i was determined and excited to purchase my first brand new car.

I was VERY lucky that my local Ford dealer had a Fiesta ST in stock on the show room floor. Before seeing it in person i was set on buying one in White or maybe Black. But the had Molten Orange on hand and the colour impressed me. Being heavily into car detailing as well i knew i could make that colour POP after wet sanding to remove the orange peel and applying a coating like Modesta. But then it came down to negotiating on price.

After some haggling, i got the price down from 30,990 to 28,500. Nothing amazing tbh, but it was my first time negotiating with a new car salesmen. Also considering their isn't to many FiST's in stock atm and that car had been getting a lot of interest from other buyers (not just car salesmen talk, i know one person who was looking seriously looking at buying it, and saw 2 others get to the stage of working out the trade in price on their old car)

My next dilemma was what to call her. After much internal debate i decided on Summer Temptress. I wanted to use the letters ST, and considering it is Summer at the moment, the colour suits the name Summer and the car tempted me into buying it, it was a fitting name. Besides i always thought Rachel Bilson was HOT all the way back when she played Summer on the OC.

Now all i need to wait on is for the financing to be sorted out. But with Holiday to Singapore only around the corner (late next week) it seems i will have to wait even longer to get to enjoy the feeling of driving Summer around some of Sydneys best driving roads.. (taking a week off work once i get her too, so i can detail her to a show car brilliance if i decide to, or just driver her hard every day ).

One questions to all Fiesta ST owners. I am trying to decide what number plates i should get. Either the standard slimline black and white plates or go for Euro Style plates. Anyone else get one or the other car to share what looks best? Im thinking euro plates will make the car look better as it will fill the entire area both front and back instead of leaving a space either side..

Cheers

Nitrobuggies is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
EVOX

Default Re: A new FiST joins the Family

Congrats on the ST...

Plates are of personal taste. I have the full sized euro's and think they suit it.
EVOX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
DreadlyST

Agree, plates are a personal taste, I have the slim white one, although I am considering a change to orange text on black plates to tie into my colour scheme!
Check out the ST photo thread, you'll see a couple of the options there.
Congrats, and welcome
What dealership?
DreadlyST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
Nitrobuggies
Starter Motor

Yeah i checked out the photo thread.. Its a damn hard choice tbh. We seem to be spoilt for choice in NSW, i wouldn't mind getting orange text on black plates either, but I'm swaying 60% Euro and 40% slimline plates.

I must admit, I'm very tempted to do similar mods to my car with some black stock rims and orange callipers. It really looks AMAZING, but i would hate to copy lol.

I got it from Macarthur Ford in Campbelltown. they have looked after me pretty well so far, been in their a dozen or so times in the past week or two to talk to them, see the car etc. They have been very patient which is good.

When i get Summer, all the Sydney ST owners should do a meet up, be awesome to see a large group of FiST's driving around
Old 10-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Skramit

Welcome to the elite exclusive special prestigious FiST club!

I was also thinking of black rims but decided against as I think silver suits molten orange much better.

The bit about sanding back the orange paint???!!! I can't imagine what you would do that for :/
Skramit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
Nitrobuggies
Starter Motor

Not sanding back the orange paint.. But the orange peel effect that paint has on cars.

Basically when polished and coated correctly a car should have great gloss and reflectance levels. If you ever try to look at the reflection off the paintwork of something it will seem hazy so to speak. If you look up close the paint works looks like the surface of an orange. Its not super noticeable but its there. With wet sanding you bring this down so it then looks like a mirror, its perfectly flat and everything reflected of the paint is a perfect image.

Here are some forums with pictures of the before and after stage

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=244507

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=255906

The first one shows a detailed summary of how its done and some AMAZING photos of it after and before. Its seriously adds a lot of gloss and detail to the paint work.

But in saying that is not always recommended on factory paint, especially if its a daily driver and is soft and/or thin paint. I haven't tested the thickness of the Fiesta ST paint yet, but I'm hoping seeing its built in germany it has typical hard thick euro paint. As wet sanding can remove a fair amount of your clear coat, leaving only so much left as protection. Hence the need for a top quality coating afterwards, and my decision to use Modesta BC-05.
Old 13-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
Swoopdown

Good decision mate.

Ive got the basic white/black lettter plates but id prefer the euro plates next time.
Swoopdown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
Pursya

That VW takes my breath away.
Can't wait to see the job you do on Summer Temptress Nitro.

As for plates, I still think the tailgate needs a full size plate. With a mini on the front.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
Pursya

Bloody ipad.......
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post