Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-07-2022, 11:09 PM   #4681
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I dont normally cook for myself. Put me in a kitchen and im not good at it. Anyhow, chuck a bbq infront of me, somehow its different.
So i decided to cook a roast.
Crappy woolies beef roast marinated in garlic and onion. I say crappy, but i like them. Plates out, flame tamers out, bbq hood down warmed up to 180°. So rotisserie stick through the meat, 1 hour per kilo at 180°. Brilliant. So i like my meat meduim maybe towards the medium rare side, an hour per kg at 180 rotating on the bbq does that pretty well.
I just cooked for the first time a roast and vegies in a camp oven on the coals, 3 hours later yum. Poured flour in the bottom of the pan for gravy, fed 5 hungry people, now sitting around the fire drinking port.
5 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #4682
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I just cooked for the first time a roast and vegies in a camp oven on the coals, 3 hours later yum. Poured flour in the bottom of the pan for gravy, fed 5 hungry people, now sitting around the fire drinking port.
Hot gunna lie Jaydee pretty jealous of you at the moment its been wet and freezing here and your building good memories from a perfect break away enjoy mate.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2022, 02:09 PM   #4683
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Hot gunna lie Jaydee pretty jealous of you at the moment its been wet and freezing here and your building good memories from a perfect break away enjoy mate.
wet!!! did you say wet? yee gods CHCH usually 61mls July, this year 268mls hells bells that is wet and the rest of the country.

make sure your all tied down, Id hate to see you float out into the Pacific.
Old 30-07-2022, 04:20 PM   #4684
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
My brother has a cheap grill/smoker that can do some pretty amazing things. Its just everything takes a long time. So its not like say set an hour or 2 aside to do a rotisserie roast over gas, its more like 4 hours for a comparable sized hunk of meat.
So in the smoker once the coals are going to add flavour you put wood chips in. Personal favourite is hickory. Its made even better if you get the cheapest bottle of red wine and soak the chips in that first. Things do taste a lot better from the smoker compared to over gas, however gas is way more convenient as you turn it on and its on, plus its easier to regulate temp.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2022, 07:58 PM   #4685
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: What made you feel good today?

Wife's homemade pizzas.
Had a bruschetta-ry thing bit earlier and I see 2 pi sitting in the oven. I can see one is chicken and pineapple with chilli spread all over it and other one looks to have bacon, olives and maybe capsicum or sundried toms (will update ) on it.
Not her usual base though, its normally fatter than that but gonna be nice I reckon
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #4686
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Wife's homemade pizzas.
Had a bruschetta-ry thing bit earlier and I see 2 pi sitting in the oven. I can see one is chicken and pineapple with chilli spread all over it and other one looks to have bacon, olives and maybe capsicum or sundried toms (will update ) on it.
Not her usual base though, its normally fatter than that but gonna be nice I reckon
The only Pizza I eat is homemade, I can scoff a whole one after a big day.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2022, 11:38 PM   #4687
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was good!.... and the meat one had caps AND tomato.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-07-2022, 11:55 PM   #4688
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I could totally eat a pizza right now after these descriptions. But I alternate dairy and dairy-free days so it will have to wait until tomorrow.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2022, 12:17 AM   #4689
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Had a fun night.
Felt tops that my brother who is away for the weekend told me to go and pickup his 500 HP twin rammed XD and take my missus out for the night in it and have some fun.
To be trusted with something he has built himself and has a sizeable financial investment is definitely gives you a good feeling.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2022, 06:58 PM   #4690
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The bees. It’s bittersweet because realistically their time is probably limited, but at present they are beautifully docile and quietly busy. No aggression at all, think I could slap the top super with my hand and they’d barely get annoyed.
3 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2022, 07:50 PM   #4691
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they are too bloody cold
Old 31-07-2022, 08:11 PM   #4692
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Righto; when I’ve nowt else to do, I’ll crochet some hive-cosies. :P
2 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2022, 10:25 PM   #4693
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went barra fishing this evening in the Fitzroy River at Giekie Gorge.
Didn't catch any, but who cares.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:43 PM   #4694
Kicking back

So tonights plan was dinner with my mum for her birthday which was last friday. So last minute i thought i should get her something. So she is the first one to say she has enough stuff. Last year she didnt directly ask, but a few months of hearing about how her phone battery didnt last as long as it used to and standard issue things about an old phone, i dids her a new phone. She still often carries on about stuff it does that they all do.
Anyhow, so for the longest time mum hasnt had much to complain about.
So clearly i was always going to pay for dinner, but i needed something for my kid to gift.
As i have been married before, appology flowers are the same as birthday flowers, so you know the good florist. My go to has a hand written note on the door saying closed untill further notice.
So a bit of searching and a bit of a drive, yeah flowers happened.
So dinner was also very nice. I had to poke and poke to get mum to ignore prices and get what she really wants.
But she thoroughly enjoyed her lamb shanks, the mushroom bruschetta we got as a starter as odd as it sounds was actually brilliant.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2022, 12:23 PM   #4695
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Had a visitor out in my alfresco area this am. (S)he even sat there and began warbling to me when I stood right up against the window. (S)he then turned around and stole the piece of wire that my daughter used to use to hold the water feeders in place on her piggie cages. Someone, somewhere is going to wonder how that bent piece of wire ended up where it did

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2022, 04:04 PM   #4696
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
(S)he then turned around and stole the piece of wire that my daughter used to use to hold the water feeders in place on her piggie cages. Someone, somewhere is going to wonder how that bent piece of wire ended up where it did
Probably is part of a new nest somewhere.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2022, 04:25 PM   #4697
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Probably is part of a new nest somewhere.
Yeah, most likely. (S)he tried eating it first, but I guess it didn't taste as good as it looked.

Came back this arvo for another gander whilst I'm sitting out here, about 2 feet away form me. Looks like someone may have tamed it a bit already? Was all going well until the dog realised who I was talking to and chased it away, pronto. Clearly the similarity in name (the dog's name is Maggie) doesn't mean that consideration is given....

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 02-08-2022 at 04:33 PM.
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2022, 04:31 PM   #4698
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Yeah, most likely. (S)he tried eating it first, but I guess it didn't taste as good as it looked.

Came back this arvo for another gander whilst I'm sitting out here, about 2 feet away form me. Looks like someone may have tamed it a bit already? Was all going well until the do realised who I was talking to and chased it away, pronto. Clearly the similarity in name (the dog's name is Maggie) doesn't mean that consideration is given....
Don't get to friendly, otherwise inside the door is next. This one at the motel likes cyclist.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:52 PM   #4699
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Another happy client.
Managed to fix this mess post install I was bitch*ng about previously.

Piers just needed to grow along one side. Owners were so happy I could hide most of his mistakes.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:54 PM   #4700
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

roK, as you know I love seeing your work......
I wonder how long you gonna keep up lifting these varying weights ?
I imagine collecting a bundle for x job is by pallet load ? or do I picture you in a quarry with various size chisels hammering sizes needed
Serious question ? my bro was a landscaper, I used to be one of the hired help between jobs for I loved the fitness but know doing it 5days a week for x years would have its use by date as much I still love doing my maintenance work and minor hard jobs by I decided on my limitations
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2022, 06:33 PM   #4701
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
roK, as you know I love seeing your work......
I wonder how long you gonna keep up lifting these varying weights ?
I imagine collecting a bundle for x job is by pallet load ? or do I picture you in a quarry with various size chisels hammering sizes needed
Serious question ? my bro was a landscaper, I used to be one of the hired help between jobs for I loved the fitness but know doing it 5days a week for x years would have its use by date as much I still love doing my maintenance work and minor hard jobs by I decided on my limitations
Thanks mate. I once thought working with around Sydney with sandstone was hard until venturing further afield into Basalt and Granite country.

Granite is approx 3 times the density (read weight) of layered stone so you soon build strength building with it. Just the tools required are twice the weight to work it. A 3lb masons hammer used for sandstone doesn't cut it (sic) with igneous stone, swinging a 5lb lump hammer all day on a 1kg tungsten chisel but like anything, you can soon train yourself to work with your brain and not overly exert energy over the course of a day.
At the quarry, every stone you see is handpicked and loaded, I'll look for stone from the fresh blasted area's. This stone is of naturally a better quality than something that has been pushed around by machinery.When I see better than average stone there, I'll usually pick a few loads to stockpile at home for jobs down the line.
On fitness, one of the best things to do, to build strength is mountain bike, it compliments the job and the job compliments MTBiking.
A few jobs a year are in restoration of old buildings, which keeps my carving skills in demand.
Beauty of being a Bankermason is being able to turn more to carving for monuments and sculpture, something I do at home on commission. Consultation work is always available in stone building restoration.

Sorry for the long winded reply.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:11 PM   #4702
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Can’t get over how snotted the top of that hidden post was. Is it driven 1200 deep? Also waiting to hear how the owners snagged their cars on the protruding threads before the gate goes on - hopefully they’ll put some temporary battens over the ends…

Definitely didn’t feel good about the dentist casually saying I was looking at “50-100K”. And they wonder why people get teeth done overseas!

Last edited by Citroënbender; 02-08-2022 at 07:16 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2022, 07:15 PM   #4703
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Another happy client.
Managed to fix this mess post install I was bitch*ng about previously.

Piers just needed to grow along one side. Owners were so happy I could hide most of his mistakes.

What a neat job, passers by will look at it and go WTF, how did they do that?
Old 03-08-2022, 08:23 AM   #4704
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Can’t get over how snotted the top of that hidden post was. Is it driven 1200 deep? Also waiting to hear how the owners snagged their cars on the protruding threads before the gate goes on - hopefully they’ll put some temporary battens over the ends…

Definitely didn’t feel good about the dentist casually saying I was looking at “50-100K”. And they wonder why people get teeth done overseas!
Whoo, 50-100K.

Posts are 1mtr deep in concrete. Usually get whoever puts it in to leave them high so I can cut them off 120mm below the top stone level.
First thing I do when I get there is stick a couple of old work gloves over the protruding ends (mainly so I don't impale myself) but easily spotted driving in.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:14 AM   #4705
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Good idea on the old gloves. I once nearly lost an eye to a podger someone had substituted into an Acrow prop instead of the usual pin. Right at face (eyebrow) level, and a colour that didn’t show up easily in the gloom. We ended up with a Coke bottle jammed over it.

Presently queued at Aldi for the specials. Somehow I ended up the only person stuck in the airlock between both sets of doors.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:32 PM   #4706
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Presently queued at Aldi for the specials. Somehow I ended up the only person stuck in the airlock between both sets of doors.
Did they have the DIY dental surgery kit you were after ?

2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2022, 03:41 PM   #4707
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Sold out, apparently. Sydney Tools didn’t get back to me on dental burrs with an SDS+ fitting, either.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2022, 03:54 PM   #4708
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Sold out, apparently. Sydney Tools didn’t get back to me on dental burrs with an SDS+ fitting, either.
Did you try "every tool every trade" jokers.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #4709
Kicking back

Total tools.... i find they typically have less tools on their staff then the aforementioned places.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:14 PM   #4710
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Total tools.... i find they typically have less tools on their staff then the aforementioned places.
They don't even know what a Stonemason is, much less sell stone working tools.