Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 31-05-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default KE Laser brakes

I have an 89 KE Laser and the brakes are s**t. Everything is in good working order discs, pads,linings, lines ,no leaks , wheel cylinders are OK, fluid changed recently,bled properly but they are stil crap. I guess they came like that back in 89 but without spending a bomb I would like to improve them. I have not heard any real good reports about swaping the rears for discs and thats a bit too expensive anyways. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 31-05-2005, 06:20 PM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id say you could just go some real good brake pads. Lasers dont weigh much anyway so dont think ud really need rear disc brakes. Maybe a different type of brake fluid? Are they adjusted properly. Usually they will get adjusted at services.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Id say you could just go some real good brake pads. Lasers dont weigh much anyway so dont think ud really need rear disc brakes. Maybe a different type of brake fluid? Are they adjusted properly. Usually they will get adjusted at services.
They are lousy to adjust and yes they are adjusted correctly, pads make a bit of difference but my experience is not enough in this application. As for discs the turbo had them on and have known of some conversions but too expensive. I know its only a light car but you only need 2 hard applications and theres not much more left in them.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
boostyb6t

remove the calipers and take the mounting slides out of them. sand this with wet and dry. re-lube with high temp grease and replace seals if necessary. make a huge difference when the caliper can slide properly. go nuts
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 12:33 AM   #5
VippiN
What a performer!

You can change over everything from a FWD Turbo KE TX3, bolts straight on and you get bigger everything. Won't break the bank either.
VippiN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 12:12 PM   #6
Hank the Deuce
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
I know its only a light car but you only need 2 hard applications and theres not much more left in them.
That'd be more a function of your pads than anything else... I know what you mean though - my last KC would run out of stop halfway down Bulli Pass if I was using the brakes way back when I lived near there... plenty of pedal pressure and all, but they'd just get hot and stinky and wouldn't pull the thing up. Mind you, they were OK for everything else I ever asked of them...

If you're looking for more than two good stops, you'd be best to speak with your local reputable brake station about something more suitable...