Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Blue Power Racing Developments

Blue Power Racing Developments The home of Blue Power. Website Link

Old 10-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
that guy
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Cheers for the tough N/A Boss rebuild!

Just wanted to thank you guys (Chris, Theo and Ryan) for all your hard work on what truly is a beast of a motor. The motor purrs like a kitten at idle and has a nice bellowing roar of a lion as the tacho bends its way in the clockwise direction.

Very pleased with how well the car behaves in the complete rev range, Chris as I have stated to you before I am very pleased with your choice of grind on the set of sticks. I was dreading that the cam was going to be too lumpy to drive daily, but fortunately it was in good hands and the engine behaves well at low RPM. Also the low end grunt is nothing short of awesome, the bottom end of the rev range feels as responsive as the top end of the old Boss 260 at full noise! Can barely believe you can get that much power from the motor south of 3000RPM from a modular without some sort of forced induction.

With already over 300rwkw I'm looking forward to what figures this motor will churn out once we get a decent plenum and throttle body set up on it and raise the rev limiter to 7500RPM.

Thanks once again to the three of you at various stages throughout the build advising me on my options before I had even spent a cent, particularly you Chris for giving up your personal time whilst balancing family affairs. Greatly appreciated mate, definitely went the extra mile to help a customer.

Regards,

Damien.

that guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2014, 04:55 AM   #2
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Default Re: Cheers for the tough N/A Boss rebuild!

Sounds good Damien, what are the Specs on the Motor?

While everyone is loving S/C Big HP builds at the moment, i absolutely love the sound and feel of a tough N/A Combo.
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeap I am a fan of N/A aswell I appreciate the effectiveness of a blower but there is something about an engine doing it all on its own that I find appealing. I also havent seen much evidence of a FI engine (in a Falcon) being able to cop 10+ laps of circuit work. They are good for 1/4's or the quick couple of laps.

Any specs on the engine?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
tweeked
N/A all the way

The place to go for any modular build.

7500rpm ftw!!!

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
that guy
Starter Motor

Hi guys,

The short motor was once upon a time the heart and soul of the purple pig drag car ; so forged bottom end, custom pistons, 'H' beam rods, billet oil pump, ARP bolts and the rest of the goodies to go with it. Late model 290 heads with a set of baby crow cams to keep the thing easy to live with as a daily driver and retain some form of fuel economy . Running on 98 octane. BPR CAI, which is feeding the stock plenum and 260 throttle body and exiting out a complete big boy De Filipppo system.

The block is bored and sleeved and is now 5.8 litres of modular thunder, but unlike yours Jon it is not an MMR block (killer build thread btw). Chris had the block machined locally if my memory serves me correctly. If I have this right the short motor was initially built to be a tough N/A with intentions of a S/C ethanol set up later on when Chris was racing it. Thus my comp isn't as high as yours (I think it's around 10.5) and the H beam rods.

Very happy with the outcome so far.
that guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2014, 06:30 AM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Any 5.8 N/A Modular is awesome in my books, same with anything north of 300rkwks.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
tweeked
N/A all the way

Congratulations Damien, - it has been a bit lonely in 5.8 litre modular land. Nothing better than a strong N/A that can still have good street manners.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Can wake up anyone sleeping in mall car parks to :P

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
GT1144

So glad to read these kinds of threads. I was starting to think I was a freak to like the punchy NA. Coming from Windsor (302/331) land it's amazing how dam good the modular is as a starting point. This will be the first engine build I can use a factory crank and not worry about it being a hand grenade. Upper manifolds a little disappointing though. Ford should have contracted BPT.

Congrats on the build, ol' Bluepower seem to always get it right. Another BA GT they did with some GTPX cams sounded so sharp it amazed me how tight they had the tuning and as you said also the idle quality. These things are tough to tune idle with bigger cams.

Last edited by GT1144; 03-10-2014 at 07:46 PM.
GT1144 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #10
Blue ant
Utes rule

Gday fellow ford brothers i am currently getting my boss 290 fully rebuilt aiming for about 450 horses at the wheels its been taking a while so was wondering roughly how many hours it takes to do a build ?
Blue ant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2021, 11:00 AM   #11
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

7 years since the last post should tell you something.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post