Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 27-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Mondeo Interior - Your Thoughts

We have a MC Mondeo in the family. One thing I notice when reading comments and reviews by the motoring media about the Mondeo is how "drab" and "dour" the interior is supposed to be.

Now this is something I have never bothered me. Granted, we have a Titanium, but I certainly don't find the interior lacking in any way. The controls are placed in a logical manner, the dials and steering wheel are perfect and I find the general interior presentation to quite pleasant with just the right amount of brightwork without it looking over done like many modern interiors.

Is just the media being privileged with the ability to sample much more expensive cars or is it really "dour and drab".

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
b2428

Default Re: Mondeo Interior - Your Thoughts

I think the interior size and layout is great. One issue when looking from inside out is the pillars i find. Not always only sometimes. Found one or two cars hiding there so far.

And unfortunately thats where my praise starts to turn. The quality in my MA is rubbish in quite a few regards. Buttons starting to bubble. Silver chrome things on vents and the storage lid have come unstuck. The top of all 4 doors have come unstuck. And the silver dash surround and the surrounds around the dials have started to pit.

Such a shame as this and a few other little things mainly paint now starting to go off ruins a rather great car thats heaps of fun to drive.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I find the A pillars in my Mondeo a tad frustrating when I'm up for a little bit of spirited driving in twisties!

I find the cruise control not as easy to use (a little fiddly) compared to the two AU Falcons I've had. They're so, so simply to use. I find myself looking at the controls a bit in the Mondeo.

I like the general layout of the cabin though. Everything feels nice to the touch and well placed.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
VincenzoK
Starter Motor

I find the A pillars a bit big too. My two other gripes are the cup holders not being large enough and the holder for sunglasses not having adequate insulation from the heat in summer. The sunglasses holder in my Subie Forester is fantastic. You can hardly feel the heat on the hottest of hot days.
VincenzoK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
daveair
Starter Motor

I've been more than happy with my 2012 LX wagon and I think the interior is quite classy and not at al dated. Maybe it is I that is ageing and cannot see the forest for the trees.

Daveair
daveair is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #6
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

After coming from such an old vehicle to a '09 MB Zetec anything is going to be FANTASTIC!!! to infinity lol, but the previous owner (Company Lease) had tried to clean something just above the cup holder, but must have used a scourer (the dick) and left a mark, and also deliberate scratches on the Sony stereo face (think 2 golden arches) the McMuppet. I'm thinking a tasteful wrap will suffice where possible, anywho end rant...

Aside from those two blemishes I enjoy the layout and design, I don't have an issue with button placement and have settled in quite nicely to the point I don't have to search for things especially the CC buttons on the steering wheel.

Funny some have mentioned the overhead sunglasses storage, the spongy material has deteriorated in mine. I'll have to remove it to clean it all off.

Just on the A pillars, I find they are smaller than other vehicles I've been in, Accord Euro Lux is the Divine Brown of obstructions, seconded by the '12 Kia Cerato, man they are worse.

Yeah sure in the twisties they can obstruct but I feel comfortable with them already.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

DFB - the interior on the upper models is pretty nice IMHO - just understated elegance.
Remember the market segmnet for the upper models (i suspect) is the well-to-do family types.
In MB series, the Titanium had the Leather/Alcantara with silver stitching. Nice, and was the same style as the MA XR5.
On the ohter hand, the MB XR5 has red stitching which really lifts the interiors, and gives a slightly spoorty feel, but mostly just livens it upa bit (bklacks and greys are a bit plain). Big imporvment over the MA XR5 in my opinion.
I think the MC is still silver stitching.

And then the Mondeo dash is nice soft feel vinyl and not hard plastic (like the then current/2010 Subaru Liberty, which didn't make it past the bum-test in the shopping experience).

So , I reckon the Mondeo is not bad considering what you pay for it.
Just can't compare with the real timber of older years.....
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
VincenzoK
Starter Motor

I was in Canberra yesterday for work and my company had hired a Toyota Yaris for me. To my surprise the rental company upgraded me to a Holden Caprice with 3000km on the clock. Gotta say, the interior was nowhere near as good in terms of quality compared to the Mondeo. Cheap plastic and fake suede everywhere!
VincenzoK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Is just the media being privileged with the ability to sample much more expensive cars or is it really "dour and drab".
"Dour and Drab" No, "Cosy" yes!

The two cars we have are like chalk and cheese so far as interior feel is concerned. I find the Territory "open and airy" whereas the Mondeo is as I have said I regard as "cosy" and I like driving both of them.

But both have niggles:

In the T I dislike having to reach forward to change the trip computer display mode (It makes me feel I'm not in proper control of the car) and in the Mondeo, when I have the seat at the height I prefer I find the rear view mirror getting into my sight line when looking left and the mirror isn't adjustable for height like it is in the T so I'm sitting a bit lower than I would like to avoid this. And in the Mondeo the rear view when reversing is horrible compared with the T ( makes me smile when I hear or read comments about poor view in SUVs)

But in both cars I find the materials quality quite acceptable and durable, especially in the T which is now past 10 years of age.

But I'm very unlikely to base a purchase decision on the comment of motoring journalists about interior feel. Their opinion(s) are their opinions and they are entitled - I'm entitled to ignore them!!

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
mud
Pommy Ford tragic

I'm very happy with most of the bits I touch and can see in my XR5 while sitting in the car. But you don't have to look far to see where they've saved money. Coming out of an MY07 Liberty 3.0R SPECB I was amazed how the carpet in the front foot wells just stops and all the wiring is exposed......it isn't even long enough and pops out at the bottom corners of the dash. The other area where it's obvious is the quality of the plastics, carpet and general finish in the load area.
But I'm happy to compromise in with those out of the way areas as the car is much better equipped (except for lack of electric memory seats). I find the steering wheel very nice to hold, the seats very comfortable and the "piano black" finish on the centre stack looks like it will be more durable than the previous silver finish on the MA's.
Old 27-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Yes there are a few "cheap" bits here and there. But its a mass produced car that is priced accordingly.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Before I bought my XR5 in 2010 I sat in the (then) current Liberty.
Liberty had hard plastic on the dash top, felt 'cheap' and just generally lacked the ambience of the Mondeo XR.Didn't even bother with a test drive of the new Liberty...

..and I was even upgrading from a Gen3 2003 Outback (which I thought was nice when I bought it new)....expectations obviously change.
I reckon I made the right choice for my needs. Fantastic value for the money.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post