Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
3vXT

Exclamation Urgent AU auto gearbox price?

My dad just called me to say his AU (series2) auto gearbox has crapped itself. He is away from home at the moment and the place he got towed to will put a reconditioned one in today for $2,100.

-Does that sound reasonable?

-Also he's pretty sure it lunched itself and is in need of a rebuild or replacement but can anyone describe what they do (sounds etc) when they bust?

i know i could probably put this in a AU based page but i told him i'd call him back in an hour or two and it'll get more veiws here.
Any help would be awesome thanks

3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

We just had one completely rebuilt ( new bands, clutches the works) for $1650. And it was stuffed when we took it in.
Old 27-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
My dad just called me to say his AU (series2) auto gearbox has crapped itself. He is away from home at the moment and the place he got towed to will put a reconditioned one in today for $2,100.

-Does that sound reasonable?

-Also he's pretty sure it lunched itself and is in need of a rebuild or replacement but can anyone describe what they do (sounds etc) when they bust?

i know i could probably put this in a AU based page but i told him i'd call him back in an hour or two and it'll get more veiws here.
Any help would be awesome thanks
That price is a bit over the odds. The local place in Canberra does an exchange reco box for $1350, plus $375 fitting ($1725 all up). Canberra prices are usually higher than Syd/Melb, too, so $2100 is pretty steep.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The price is steep. I was recently quoted $1,650 for a changeover box fully rebuilt.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

I'll drive all the way to newcastle and give you the box thats in my car for less than that, not recoed but it goes well

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
3vXT

thanks guys, it looks like the general concensus is that he's been ripped off. he called a few other places but couldn't get anyone to do it today (not surprising really). not sure how much the others quoted him but its done and paid for now.

once again, thanks for the replies. i'll tell him the bad news.
Old 27-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
EvilChief
Boost Addict

sold my AU auto for $500 3 years ago
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
The Mighty Red

$1700 - $2000 is about the going rate for a full reco
Old 27-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
3vXT

is it just a random thing? his car is under 90.000K's, never towed anything or been raced around, in fact my old man drives like an old woman.
Old 27-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has he got an external trans cooler? the factory inbuilt one in the radiator has a habit of letting go and mixing copper and coolant with trans fluid, wouldn't take long to kill it like that...get a decent external one if he hasn't already and run it on it's own, completely bypass the radiator
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post