Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford patents F150 EV with toolbox ICE as a range extender

Ford have submitted a patent to use an ICE as a range extender for their proposed F150 EV. (Well, the rest of us would call it a PHEV.) Nothing too remarkable about that.

What is interesting is that the ICE will be mounted/disguised as a removable toolbox in the rear cargo area. If the driver wishes to have more range, they can install the range extender. (I imagine it would be a heavy little sucker, and not exactly a single person lift.) The range extender plugs into the F150 engine management system and has the modes of Maximum Fuel Efficiency, Maximum Power, Maximum Driving Range. When it isn't needed, it can be removed and the F150 runs as a pure EV.

https://www.scribd.com/document/4785...ent#from_embed

It would be interesting to see what size engine would be in the Range Extender (TM). From memory, my old Outlander PHEV use to draw around 20kW of power at 100kph. Just digging through a generator catalogue, a 20kVA generator in a sound enclosure (similar to a tool box) is around $10K and weighs around 990kg. A smaller single phase petrol around 12kVA was around $6K and weighs in at 135kg (without sound enclosure). I am sure that Ford engineers will be able to shave weight and cost of those figures. but it would still be a hefty little sucker.

It will be interesting to see if this comes to market.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Ford patents F150 EV with toolbox ICE as a range extender

As I understand it this is a removable generator for the BEV F150, so is correctly named as a range extender.
Somehow, I always imagined the range extender being mounted in a trailer that could be hired.

Last edited by jpd80; 04-10-2020 at 05:06 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Kinda sounds like Nissan's e-Power except removable for some unknown reason.

Just keep the engine under the bonnet, use the 1L Ecoboost thats tiny, make it run only a generator to power a small battery also under the bonnet and **** off the plug in part and removable engine, keep it simple.

Won't cost a bazillion dollars or require mind bending engineering either.

How big is the fuel tank in an F150? 1L Ecoboost running a generator at its most efficient RPM, charging a small battery to power two electric motors powering the rear wheels will probably do 1200km on a tank of fuel.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Probably something in the scope of 10-12kva. Would be able to be handled by 2 to 3 men and reduce the discharge by 50% therefore extending range by the same.

What would the burn rate be on a decently efficient unit?? 2-3 litres per hour??

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
As I understand it this is a removable generator for the BEV F150, so is correctly named as a range extender.
Somehow, I always imagined the range extender being mounted in a trailer that could be hired.
I think it would work as a hire, plug in generator, tool box. Most tradies run around town in their work SUV barely doing 100km per day, well inside EV range. Before, say, going camping on the long weekend, go down to the hire shop and get the plug in generator.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-10-2020, 08:43 PM   #6
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Probably something in the scope of 10-12kva. Would be able to be handled by 2 to 3 men and reduce the discharge by 50% therefore extending range by the same.

What would the burn rate be on a decently efficient unit?? 2-3 litres per hour??

From memory, the portable generators (e.g. Honda et. al.) use around 0.5/l per kWh. Assuming 20kVA load (@100kph), gives a rough fuel burn around 10l/h, but that would exclude losses. (Working the other way, this implies a petrol fuel consumption of 10l/100km, which is about right.)

Just say for argument sake that the F150 EV has a range of 500km. Then a 20l auxiliary petrol tank on a tool-box generator extends that range to 700km.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:50 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
From memory, the portable generators (e.g. Honda et. al.) use around 0.5/l per kWh. Assuming 20kVA load (@100kph), gives a rough fuel burn around 10l/h, but that would exclude losses. (Working the other way, this implies a petrol fuel consumption of 10l/100km, which is about right.)

Just say for argument sake that the F150 EV has a range of 500km. Then a 20l auxiliary petrol tank on a tool-box generator extends that range to 700km.
My figures were for diesel generators as I recently looked some up. Petrol would be more, in tune with your suggested consumption.

The idea as a whole has merit. You can think that should you run out of battery power you can park anywhere and let the generator run for the time needed to get you home.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-10-2020, 09:16 PM   #8
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
My figures were for diesel generators as I recently looked some up. Petrol would be more, in tune with your suggested consumption.

The idea as a whole has merit. You can think that should you run out of battery power you can park anywhere and let the generator run for the time needed to get you home.

I agree with your diesel consumption figures, they seem about right. It would be interesting to see what Ford USA put in. Given the US market, I would hazard a guess they would go for gasoline????? The more I think about the concept, the more I think the idea has some merit. Particularly if there was a hire market.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:39 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Kinda sounds like Nissan's e-Power except removable for some unknown reason.

Just keep the engine under the bonnet, use the 1L Ecoboost thats tiny, make it run only a generator to power a small battery also under the bonnet and **** off the plug in part and removable engine, keep it simple.

Won't cost a bazillion dollars or require mind bending engineering either.

How big is the fuel tank in an F150? 1L Ecoboost running a generator at its most efficient RPM, charging a small battery to power two electric motors powering the rear wheels will probably do 1200km on a tank of fuel.
What you've just described is already happening in a Euro Transit, the 1.0 EB is a perfect
bubby range extender engine. I think the yanks are building both dedicated BEV F150 and
hybrid F150 with 3.5 EB, so they'll have most things covered. The portable range extender
is only there for when travelling really long distances, it's not really needed otherwise.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:47 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
What you've just described is already happening in a Euro Transit, the 1.0 EB is a perfect
bubby range extender engine. I think the yanks are building both dedicated BEV F150 and
hybrid F150 with 3.5 EB, so they'll have most things covered. The portable range extender
is only there for when travelling really long distances, it's not really needed otherwise.
To me this is the perfect implementation for electric vehicles in 2020 - Nissan is on point with this, you just fill it up with fuel like normal but its only driven by an electric motor, the engine is just there to charge the tiny battery that powers the motor.

No infrastructure problems around charging points
Fill her up, takes 5 minutes at the servo
Good fuel economy
Cheaper than full EV (Affordable for the masses)

Its a good stepping stone/low hanging fruit until battery technology improves significantly.

Note e-Power is mint:

There's a NISMO variant, 100KW/320NM electric motor.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2020, 01:03 AM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A series hybrid like that is arguably better in stop-go driving than a partake hybrid,
the parallel hybrid gives greater mechanical efficiency at highway speeds by reducing
the losses of generating current and then using it, the direct engine link is better at that.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:10 AM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Nissan system holds great promise with simplicity but also comes at a cost,
it's a way for Nissan to avoid developing a split drive.