Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #1321
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Well, its something ive been meaning to do. And i did it today. So me and my boy enjoy slot car racing. Not being competitive, but we both had stock scaletrix cars and we only ran them at the track. Appart from tyres, you cant really modify the cars we have. Yes my 2 had tyres, but i broke the plastic chassis on both, my kids car, it has tyres and isnt broken. So today i bought 2 identical bar the livery, steel chassis, race spec cars. Both the same body. There was no real choice, they had 2 dodge viper gtsrs. So i bought them both. Sent photos to my kid so he could choose the red one or blue one. Well, it was red stripes or blue stripes. I only had 2 options, so no real choice. The kid went blue. Thats fine. So thats now his race slot car. I turned down the free track time my local track offers if you buy a car. Only reason due to my little unit had to choose a car. Im itching to see what the stiffer weighted chassis with more tyre and a lower centre of gravith with the more power will do to track times. My non consistant hot laps on their big gp track are mid to high 8's, but they reckon 7.4s with the new car should be taking it easy, not even pushing it.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #1322
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Well, its something ive been meaning to do. And i did it today. So me and my boy enjoy slot car racing. Not being competitive, but we both had stock scaletrix cars and we only ran them at the track. Appart from tyres, you cant really modify the cars we have. Yes my 2 had tyres, but i broke the plastic chassis on both, my kids car, it has tyres and isnt broken. So today i bought 2 identical bar the livery, steel chassis, race spec cars. Both the same body. There was no real choice, they had 2 dodge viper gtsrs. So i bought them both. Sent photos to my kid so he could choose the red one or blue one. Well, it was red stripes or blue stripes. I only had 2 options, so no real choice. The kid went blue. Thats fine. So thats now his race slot car. I turned down the free track time my local track offers if you buy a car. Only reason due to my little unit had to choose a car. Im itching to see what the stiffer weighted chassis with more tyre and a lower centre of gravith with the more power will do to track times. My non consistant hot laps on their big gp track are mid to high 8's, but they reckon 7.4s with the new car should be taking it easy, not even pushing it.
Was wondering, if there are many places you can race these.
I was looking at the Scaletrix racing truck series and they look really cool with the tail hanging out on the corners. I don't reckon any laps times would be broken with these though.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #1323
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Was wondering, if there are many places you can race these.
I was looking at the Scaletrix racing truck series and they look really cool with the tail hanging out on the corners. I don't reckon any laps times would be broken with these though.
My local track is 2 streets from my house, its in pendle hill , across from the meat market. They have 3 6 lane wooden tracks. 2 they change and their gp track thats a round in their their racing season so ot stays the same. The real slotcar nuts sign up and its a points based competition like ,well, any other form of racing competition. Different classes and car regulations etc. So im guessing theres enough proper tracks around. Whilst me and the boy havent taken our new race cars out yet, the wooden proper tracks have a deeper slot then the black scaletric tracks so our cars have deeper guides for extra front grip over the scaletrix cars we have. The guides can be changed if need be. Speaking with a track fly a while back, he said the trucks, well the proper chassis ones, are pretty fast as they have a wider track and tyres.
So if you do stumble across a track and have an hour to kill, spend the 5 to rent a car and give it a go. Its a good way to kill time on the cheap and a bit of fun i reckon. My locas is $5 for 15 minutes, 10 for half an hour and $15 per hour. If you dont have a car its $5 rental. But these guys are good, ive spent 5 for 15 minutes before and as it was dead there, i spent over an hour racing the guy running the track.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #1324
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Thanks 4,
I think there's a couple of tracks around in the bigger towns.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:24 PM   #1325
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #1326
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Thanks 4,
I think there's a couple of tracks around in the bigger towns.
Its just making me more keen to try the new car out hey. My previous 2 scaletric cars were the 1988 djr number 17 ford sierra, and a 1978 falcon cobra hard top. The moffet and jacky ickx car. My kid has the 1988 under 2.5L john player special bmw m3. The 2 identical spec and body cars i bought for the little unit and myself are lemans bodied dodge vipers. Different liveries, but same everything. Keep it a level playing field. Both my son and i have taken up the offer to rip on other peoples race spec slotcars, they are so much easier to drive fast, dont fall off the track at all, and the whole time the owners are in your ear saying push harder. So now me and the kid have our own, parts are replaceable, bodies can also be replaced, for the first part, im going to say to my son absolutely push it, we can change the body, and just let it rip. Maybe after the first bodies, ill be not so happy about the financials, but we will know the limits for a fast lap. Then we weight and modify. No plans to fit into a racing class, just some fun with my kid and myself.
This user likes this post:
Old 13-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #1327
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Moreton Island Qld..
five 7 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #1328
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving through the touchless carwash at Moorebank, quick run to the Menai turnoff via Heathcote Rd to dry then back home for a tyre spray & wipe with ArmorAll.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #1329
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Definitely not: Seeing this.

Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #1330
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Taking a sly leak while you weren't looking.

2 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #1331
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #1332
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

It's actually quicker to get a T-shirt from USA than it is get something posted from SA !!
3 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #1333
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Usually better quality T's from the US as well. Haines etc.

USB sticks to WA from country Vic (snail mail) takes 3 weeks (15 working days) Adding insult to injury they charge me $2 postage due to being slightly thicker in the envelop.

Old 14-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #1334
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

How's the Louisville coming along mate ?
Old 14-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #1335
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
How's the Louisville coming along mate ?
When I'm there, SLOWLY !

2 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2019, 10:51 PM   #1336
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Did have a chuckle when putting my father in the car. Got him in the seat, I normally pass the seatbelt buckle over his shoulder and make him plug it in while adding all the slack I can from the reel (if it’s tight he struggles to get it in the slot).

Anyway, there he is hanging onto the male part of the buckle but instead of slotting it in, the silly bugger is trying to put it in his pocket. That’s a fail up there with confusing tissue box and toaster. Hey, the bread does go in - just doesn’t toast so well...
6 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2019, 05:20 AM   #1337
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Friday has kicked off well. Email from tech support on a US-made product basically saying “Oh, you don’t need to buy one of our expensive spares and have it sent over, these are the specs and here is an image of the item to replace. Save your beans and get it cheap locally.”

That’s rather nice to hear first thing in the morning.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #1338
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went and saw INXS live at Wembley stadium.
Ok well I wasn't actually there, but I can still say I saw INXS at Wembley.
It was on the big screen at the movies last night, really, really good.
Just listening to one of their albums now.
Sad waste of talent and a life.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #1339
Kicking back

My manager told me he had heard the boys talking me up lately. So a few months back this lovely lady who wouldnt even look at the boys gave me her number. She went a bit cold when she got back with her boyfriend, but now thats over again, im back in. Anyrate, i said i did it the old school way that the boys dont comprehend. I dont even have a facebook account. So i said there was no face stalking, to be fair, ive been going hard on her for the past 3 days only, but never knew her surname. We just got along really well in person etc. So my manager said he'd be the judge. So i said her name and he looked it up and got confused. He asked is that her. Yep. He said good on you to me. This chick has a head on her shoulders, but she also has some serious looks. And im a lot older. My manager has met my ex wife, but now like the boys at work, he is impressed. Im nice to everybody, she just appreciated that.
Old 15-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #1340
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Knocked off early, cleaned up the garage, now having a few beers. Have to enjoy it because I have been booked in for a **** load of meetings (by my standards) I'm not going to like next week. 10hrs worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Went and saw INXS live at Wembley stadium.
Ok well I wasn't actually there, but I can still say I saw INXS at Wembley.
It was on the big screen at the movies last night, really, really good.
Just listening to one of their albums now.
Sad waste of talent and a life.
Seen plenty of footage that concert. I would have loved to have been there too.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #1341
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Felt a bit empty not having a project car anymore so I bought something for the wife that we both can enjoy when I come home...

That RIO is at 188000kms now and all I do is change the oil every 7000kms !!
4 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #1342
Kicking back

I took my new slotcar to the track for its first run, a shakedown per say. So i fitted the 9mm guide for wood tracks, sanded the tyres, but other then that, its stock. So my prevoise scaleletric cars on the same track im most familar with, consistant 10 second laps, best being a 9.85. When i bought the new car the bloke said 9.4s stock. This thing is both fast and easy to drive. So just feeling it out is was a consistant 9 seconds flat. I still havent got used to the car, but on that track ive had to adapt from my old car. Where i could stay in it with the old car as it was slower, i have to back off. Where i had to slow in the old car i can stay in it. My best lap was 8.745. But it wasnt a 1 off. It was lap after lap high 8s. There was another bloke on the same track, he races slotcars. His car was same chassis and motor as mine. My car was quicker in the straights even though they were same spec. So we swapped cars so he could feel out mine. I didnt go hard on his car, but still ran a best of 8.2 in his. His advice, well his car had all the grip. So he said i need to get aggressive and sand down the rear tyres, probably why for an identical setup mine had more top end and less grip in the corners. And also he coated his fronts in super glue. From what i understand, you dont want ant grip in the front on a slotcar. Other then that, standard issue paper mesh on the motor. Thats something i know from rc cars. Had a sick time but. My new car is competitive enough, doesnt fall of the track making me look like 'that guy'. I had a good time. And i didnt break my car.
Old 16-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #1343
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pulling down a shed to give me better access to the old garage that is now cleaned out and ready to accept the XR6 again . Lost my car shade tent in massive winds a few weeks ago and decided the thought of using a car garage as a car garage might be a unique novelty. Who'd have ever thought ?

As the old old outside toilet converted into a garden implement is basically falling down and is making it tighter than it needs to be to squeeze the car past ...it's demolition time. I have a new colorbond 3x3 metre shed to take it's place soon as well.

Decided a Makita reciprocating saw would aid greatly I'd need to take a drive about 100kms to get one , and a sledgy for the slab and other bits and pieces .

Got in the dear old AU ll Futura as she's hardly been used for a couple of months , plugged in the MP3 and drove to our nearest Mitre 10 .

Apart from picking up my reciprocating saw what made me feel good today was a decent drive of a very sweet , very reliable and comfortable Ford Falcon AU.. That's a pretty darn good feeling . She's a lovely old girl and so glad to enjoy her like this .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #1344
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I took my new slotcar to the track for its first run, a shakedown per say. So i fitted the 9mm guide for wood tracks, sanded the tyres, but other then that, its stock. So my prevoise scaleletric cars on the same track im most familar with, consistant 10 second laps, best being a 9.85. When i bought the new car the bloke said 9.4s stock. This thing is both fast and easy to drive. So just feeling it out is was a consistant 9 seconds flat. I still havent got used to the car, but on that track ive had to adapt from my old car. Where i could stay in it with the old car as it was slower, i have to back off. Where i had to slow in the old car i can stay in it. My best lap was 8.745. But it wasnt a 1 off. It was lap after lap high 8s. There was another bloke on the same track, he races slotcars. His car was same chassis and motor as mine. My car was quicker in the straights even though they were same spec. So we swapped cars so he could feel out mine. I didnt go hard on his car, but still ran a best of 8.2 in his. His advice, well his car had all the grip. So he said i need to get aggressive and sand down the rear tyres, probably why for an identical setup mine had more top end and less grip in the corners. And also he coated his fronts in super glue. From what i understand, you dont want ant grip in the front on a slotcar. Other then that, standard issue paper mesh on the motor. Thats something i know from rc cars. Had a sick time but. My new car is competitive enough, doesnt fall of the track making me look like 'that guy'. I had a good time. And i didnt break my car.
Out of interest , how much does it cost to set up a car these days . Sounds like fun . Seen vids on the hobby in USA and Europe and some of the tracks are incredible . I have a ball doing HO model rail but I reckon slotties would be huge fun .
Old 16-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #1345
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Out of interest , how much does it cost to set up a car these days . Sounds like fun . Seen vids on the hobby in USA and Europe and some of the tracks are incredible . I have a ball doing HO model rail but I reckon slotties would be huge fun .
So i do not own a track. I pay to use my local track and thats a proper establishment. Wooden 6 lane tracks. So $15 per hour. A scaletric car, they go for $75 but dont have any servicable parts bar tyres and i guess you call them contacts, i dont know the proper term. The revo i just had a mad time with. It cost $110 but parts are available and also upgrades. Ive only spent half an hour feeling out the revo. Its a lot easier to go faster with. The concept it basic. Today i just competed with myself. But something i got into out of neccesity years back when my left arm stopped working. Theres bodies of all sorts, my previous 2 were a rs500 sierra and a xc cobra
Old 17-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #1346
Kicking back

My kid has been pestering his mum about wanting to try his new slot car. Now she makes my life very difficult. Whilst its not super convenient for me, im meeting my little unit at the track. He is excited to go, but he is going to not shut up for weeks once i semi dial his new race car in a bit. I dont want him to baby it, and he will. Im not saying go out and break it, but i want him to push it and work out the limits. In that case its not breakage, its just sort of more akin to an occupational hazard. Plus, parts can be replaced. So im keen for the little blokes reaction.
Old 17-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #1347
Kicking back

Just like a cat or dog when they know theyre about to be fed, they get excited and kind of annoying. That was my kid watching his new slot car getting setup and tyres prepped. Him on track with his new car. With our old cars regardless of which car i was an easy 2 seconds faster. With his new car he is extremely competitive time wise. I cut a pb of 8.5. His best was a 8.8. But they were hot laps. We battled hard running consistant 9 flat laps. The track was dirty as race night was last night so grip on corner exits was gone so it was actually hard to maintain speed. But now me and the young bloke can actually race and he is so impressed at the speed and how much easier the new car is to drive fast and keep on track. I made sure he lapped his old car first before the new one. There is no comparrison.
Old 17-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #1348
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So i do not own a track. I pay to use my local track and thats a proper establishment. Wooden 6 lane tracks. So $15 per hour. A scaletric car, they go for $75 but dont have any servicable parts bar tyres and i guess you call them contacts, i dont know the proper term. The revo i just had a mad time with. It cost $110 but parts are available and also upgrades. Ive only spent half an hour feeling out the revo. Its a lot easier to go faster with. The concept it basic. Today i just competed with myself. But something i got into out of neccesity years back when my left arm stopped working. Theres bodies of all sorts, my previous 2 were a rs500 sierra and a xc cobra
Thanks for the info ...definitely sounds like fun.
Old 18-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #1349
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

I bought one of my aunties a car...

I didn't realise she had lost her independence and I wasn't going another day without fixing it for her.

Her family turned her back on her as they did to me also many years ago

Long story short, she now refers to me as her son.

This was the final step in sharing my new found blessings with someone I love and respect that others have walked away from.

One day I might explain further on here but for now I feel pretty blessed to have loved ones in my life again...

I'm not alone anymore

My wife reckons I have finally grown up and I should be proud

LOL let's see...
5 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2019, 11:44 PM   #1350
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

One of my overseas car friends, who is an automotive journalist, wrote a coffee table book about old school sports cars. It was commissioned by a publishing house in Europe, and published earlier this year.

I ordered a copy from Germany last week, and it arrived today. It's a lovely book, and I'm really proud to see my friend's name right there in print.

Now I just have to catch up with him again and get him to sign it!
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: