Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the verdict? .... Yes or No. Pick 1 of each.
EXTERIOR - YES 172 46.11%
EXTERIOR - NO 189 50.67%
INTERIOR - YES 273 73.19%
INTERIOR - NO 93 24.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #841
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: VF Holden

FG is very Euro...simple, functional, clean.

The VF is plush and elegant, but looks Korean/Japanese in origin...it does make the FG's look dated somewhat, and i hope the FU does get a leather dash top, i even found the Camry dashboard to be quite interesting looking (with its fake leather lol)

That caddilac interior looks amazing, i wonder why Holden didnt base it on that?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #842
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Errrr ... guys .... the VF interior SHOULD look more modern than the FG. It's a new/er car? It's hardly accurate to compare huh?

For what it's worth though, I still think the FG stands up prety well.
Old 28-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #843
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
what is Holdens infatuation with oversized knobs and dials on the dash ?

Another thing I always wondered was why is the hazard light always prominent in the centre, how often does anyone ever actually use it ? its like that in a friends VZ as well which I thought was really odd.
Just on the hazard light switch, I always thought this myself until you start to drive in some countries over seas. I don't think I have ever used it here but some places, it is mandatory to use all the time, almost as much as blinkers. Took a little to get used to it but everyone uses it if traffic slows down, traffic jams, something on the road, cattle, pot holes .... anything really ..... and amazingly does work very very well. Actually when you get back here you wonder why people don't use it. It does help. But anyway, that's why it is so prominent

Sorry .... thought I would just throw that one in

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #844
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The Commodores hazard light switch needs to be easy to get to when it inevitably breaks down.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #845
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon View Post
Ugh, with that bootlid it looks like that awful CR-X 'ute' from the early 90s...

Last edited by 4.0i OHC; 28-02-2013 at 11:39 PM.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #846
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in the habit of driving for a couple km with the hazard lights on if there's spooked cows on the road, a fallen tree or even a koala out for a stroll so I use them often. Just inducing that little bit of hesitation works against even the most aggressive drivers to save the life of something/someone. It works well, everyone should use them more often, I know I'd appreciate the warning.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #847
JG34JA

Quote:
This is like an interesting thought experiment: "What if Holden had released the AU, not Ford? Would it have sold?" With a base model with such an 'interesting' rear treatment and lack of cohesiveness, I guess we get our chance to find out.

My 2c is the interior is fantastic on the upper spec cars, and Holden will be saved by virtue of the wagon NOT being changed behind the B pillars too much.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #848
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG34JA View Post
This is like an interesting thought experiment: "What if Holden had released the AU, not Ford? Would it have sold?" With a base model with such an 'interesting' rear treatment and lack of cohesiveness, I guess we get our chance to find out.

My 2c is the interior is fantastic on the upper spec cars, and Holden will be saved by virtue of the wagon NOT being changed behind the B pillars too much.
The AU Forte's design was cohesive, unlike that monstrosity (VF Omega)

That being said, Joe public won't find the VF Omega's rear nearly as offensive as the AU's.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #849
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When the AU was released I thought it was the ugliest car Id ever seen other than the Taurus from that time... It was BAD. I thought the VE was ugly too and I didn't think the VN looked as good as the VL.. Lol. The only thing impressive about the VN in the day was its grunt from the factory. I remember my mother test driving one and being so scared of it she thought it was outright dangerous and kept her VH Lol. She actually ended up with an AU later on and still loves it now and that's not much slower than a VN.. You see even power expectations change.

Things change because now I think the AU and VE look pretty good and VNs are damm near outstanding classics. Didn't work for the poor old VL, it looked fantastic when new, just gone backwards since.

Last edited by greenfoam; 03-03-2013 at 08:01 AM.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #850
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I thought the current Toyota Camry / Aurion was ugly, but that Commodore takes first place, by a huge margin!

Last edited by duaned; 03-03-2013 at 11:12 AM.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #851
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
Could you explain the bold part a bit more, as am not sure I understand where you are going with that one? The 'fit together', as in, how it is built & physically put together to 100% perfect in my FG Falcon & was on my brothers FG he use to own. So I don’t think this is an area that needs great improving.
LOL, have you even noticed how Ford cant even make the passenger side airbag line up with the dash? 100% perfect? Improvement is totally necessary! Now back on to the ugly commodore...
Old 03-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #852
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
LOL, have you even noticed how Ford cant even make the passenger side airbag line up with the dash? 100% perfect? Improvement is totally necessary!
You don't mean this do you?

Because I'm pretty sure that's no accident...
Old 03-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #853
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes that is it. All the FG's are the same and it doesn't do the interior finish any justice. I can't help wondering why Ford haven't designed this part to line up correctly.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #854
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58 View Post

I never noticed this before on my FG2 until you posted it. I don't think it looks all that bad. I understand it looks odd, but like you say, maybe its designed that way for a reason. Would be interested to know if there is.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #855
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes that is it. All the FG's are the same and it doesn't do the interior finish any justice. I can't help wondering why Ford haven't designed this part to line up correctly.
So it's not that Ford "cant even" make it line up, its a design decision. You can see the little crease just above the "AIRBAG" writing lines up perfectly.

It's the same as saying Ford "cant even" paint their cars properly because the FPVs have raccoon eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
I never noticed this before on my FG2 until you posted it. I don't think it looks all that bad. I understand it looks odd, but like you say, maybe its designed that way for a reason. Would be interested to know if there is.
I believe it is to cover up the gap between airbag cover and the spear. Same as some European cars having a little overhang above the glove box so you can't see the gap where the glove box meets the dash.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #856
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i think of dash boards in my old age , what comes to mind is less about aesthetics and more about the practical use, how easy are the functions to use while driving along without looking at the dash, steering wheel controls etc, does the binnacle/ touch screen suffer from reflections on a bright sunny day,
if you had never driven either car before, say just hired one for a day you would have to have a very good look at most of the controls to see what`s going on, i certainly don`t think you would be changing a lot of the settings without having to glance at them again and again, except for the hazard button.

A bit more thought put into them could have made either of the locals a little better, it`s not to expensive or hard to put a bit of Braille work on buttons, you slide your finger across them and feel the bumps, no need to even take your eyes off the road.
i suppose voice controls on these modern bangers might take some of the button pushing away, the brief amount of time i have used them on my mobile and gps, i just wanted to take a hammer to both of them ......... maybe the car systems are better?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #857
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I believe it is to cover up the gap between airbag cover and the spear. Same as some European cars having a little overhang above the glove box so you can't see the gap where the glove box meets the dash.
Don't be ridiculous! It's a feature specifically designed to infuriate us fussy types in that it's impossible to completely clean all the dust out of, even with a vacuum...

Not that I've ever owned one but having worked at a car wash years ago, these types of designs on other models were a pain in that regard.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #858
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To customers used to newer European cars, where the airbag panel is completely concealed, it is one thing that adds up to a cheap ambience.
I would say the scratchy material the glovebox is made of, and the plasticky doorhandles with heaps of play need attention first. Overall I still think FG is a great place to sit, except for the ICC colours, lack of one touch/ illuminated window switches.
Not being picky, but this stuff matters when making a first impression .Its called showroom appeal.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #859
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
Overall I still think FG is a great place to sit, except for the ICC colours, lack of one touch/ illuminated window switches.
Not being picky, but this stuff matters when making a first impression .Its called showroom appeal.
FG sedans actually do have illuminated window switches, although the steering wheel mounted volume, bluetooth & cruise controls are not illuminated.

Quote:

Definitely no accident, it's also on the driver's side too, you can see both sides have the same design feature-

Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #860
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The photos of 'new' VF Ute and Sportswagon are now shown on the Holden webpage.

Both of them appears to have no changes of the rear ends from VE.
Probably a cost-cutting decision to not put some new taillights on them..

The 'new' VF (even the sedan) is clearly just a facelift, with most of the panels (floorpan, roof etc.) unchanged.

The upgrades are similar to what happened with Territory SY to SZ. Territory got a significant nose-job, and a medium rear-job.

The VF sedan seems to have got a quite big job in both ends, but the doors seems to be exactly the same as VE.

Territory got new mechanics in its upgrade. (electric power steering, light weight sub-frame etc.) Does anyone know if the VF upgrade contains any mechanical news?

Cheers
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #861
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Base model LPG VF spotted today.

p.s, front look like a Suzuki Kisashi !

Last edited by SSVPom; 04-03-2013 at 03:21 PM.
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #862
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LOL, have you even noticed how Ford cant even make the passenger side airbag line up with the dash? 100% perfect? Improvement is totally necessary! Now back on to the ugly commodore...
That's a petty comment. If it didn't fit properly on the front edge it wouldn't fit properly at the rear edge where it meets up with the dashboard. I've got an FG and fit and finish on the inside is pretty good; no squeaks or rattles either!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #863
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

dont mind that angle of the vf. only looks really bad on the side on shot
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #864
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSVPom View Post

Base model LPG VF spotted today.

p.s, front look like a Suzuki Kisashi !

Thats a nice LTD...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #865
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam View Post
Things change because now I think the AU and VE look pretty good and VNs are damm near outstanding classics. Didn't work for the poor old VL, it looked fantastic when new, just gone backwards since.
Disagreed.

Though I still have VL blood. VNs have always been and always will be ugly boats to me. On the rare occasion I see a straight original VL I think "Yeah they still look good".

VNs are the epitome of styling gone horribly wrong IMO lol.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #866
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well everyone's tastes are different, for me the lines of a VN are becoming very classic these days. Its the HQ of this day. In the early commodore I always preferred the VH but I couldnt really say the VH is as good looking as as VN or VP (never could decide which I preferred but I prefer them both over the vr/s). Another car I thought was butt ugly originally was the XD, now I looove the look of them, very tough. Best looking Falcon for me at the moment.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #867
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Thats a nice LTD...
LOL

I sat in traffic in front of the VF for about 10 mins, watching in my rear view mirror..... Watching how no one took a second glance at the VF !! Very non descript in base model trim.
No DRL's, no foggies, 16" rims... but it did have projector beam headlamps.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #868
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think they look a bit better especially in the rear, although it does look a bit more kia/ hyundai looking.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #869
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Going to be interesting to see how HSV put a massive spoiler on top of that massive lip!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #870
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting read of what the USA journos think of the export Chevy SS http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/07/t...ent/#continued