Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the verdict? .... Yes or No. Pick 1 of each.
EXTERIOR - YES 172 46.11%
EXTERIOR - NO 189 50.67%
INTERIOR - YES 273 73.19%
INTERIOR - NO 93 24.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #661
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VF Holden

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
Just on the web looking for reactions from the yanks on the SS. Have to say while Australian reaction has been generally positive the Yanks seem to be really dissapointed in the conservative styling. A lot of really negative comments, still very early obviously
Agreed the comments in the US forums are all fairly negative about the styling. It wouldn't make good reading for Holden or the designer of the car.

Of course there are the usual unrealistic complaints too. Some think anything new should cost 30K and be fully optioned. Others confuse this car with just about everything else GM. Some think it should outperform a Corvette and some think being a "European" car they shouldnt buy it because its not American made and they refuse to buy an atlas to figure out where it is actually made.

Bottom line is they hope to sell 5000 per year in the US. I am sure they will, but its probably tempered hopes this car might be driven by demand to higher numbers in the states.

Of course chucking some hood scoops, a spoiler and optioning the manual for the two people who will actually buy one over there, will fix most of the whinging.

Holden would have to be worried if the styling complaints happen here too and affect sales. The car has gone noticeably more luxury then muscle in this last revision of the VE. Me thinks the big spoiler might be coming back as standard if sales slow. The engineers will hate it because of the drag of course, they were keen to get rid of it in the VE days but couldn't.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #662
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyf6 View Post
Can't seem to find any US reviews, all i find is carsguide.com.au news hahah, can you post some links, might make for an interesting read.....
I just googled Chevrolet SS read the articles and went down to the comments section at the bottom, a lot not happy!
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #663
ConradP

It looks like a bigger Holden Epica, and we all know how well that sold, but it's got the Commodore name so will outsell everything.
Old 17-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #664
gtfpv
GT

i'm DISGUSTED . Int the telegraph today the SSV is released in the US FOR $40K , and our price in australia . $56K .
IS americas money worth more than ours or something ??"? if they can ship them to the us and sell them for $40k there , then we should be paying $35k here .
in all honesty i hope they go BROKE , i dont want to pbuy an australia car for the privelage of being ripped off . german cars are cheaper in GERMANY ! AUSTRALIAN CARS ARE DEARER IN AUSTRALIA . .
i'm swearing my head off as i write this . IS IT ACTUALLY TRUE , CAUSE I DONT UNDERSTAND IT .
If aMERICANS ARE BAGGING THE SHYTE OUT OF IT , I COULDNT BE MORE HAPPY . KARMAS A B I T CH !!!!
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #665
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've come to accept we will ALWAYS pay more for our cars, and I place the blame fairly and squarely at the feet of GovCo. who can't get enough of their tax revenue.

For all the cash they throw toward aussie manufacturing I can't understand how they continue to charge us an arm and a leg.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #666
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv View Post
i'm DISGUSTED . Int the telegraph today the SSV is released in the US FOR $40K , and our price in australia . $56K .
IS americas money worth more than ours or something ??"? if they can ship them to the us and sell them for $40k there , then we should be paying $35k here .
in all honesty i hope they go BROKE , i dont want to pbuy an australia car for the privelage of being ripped off . german cars are cheaper in GERMANY ! AUSTRALIAN CARS ARE DEARER IN AUSTRALIA . .
i'm swearing my head off as i write this . IS IT ACTUALLY TRUE , CAUSE I DONT UNDERSTAND IT .
If aMERICANS ARE BAGGING THE SHYTE OUT OF IT , I COULDNT BE MORE HAPPY . KARMAS A B I T CH !!!!
Yep, know what you are saying and agree. If the Euro's got serious here they could really do some damage to the local industry. I have a feeling that Chrysler with their price point on the 300C, there might just be some movement in the pricing? A price war would stuff the local industry and if they did stop manufacturing here, would cars become cheaper and a win for the public? Is the exorbitant pricing here because of local manufacturing only?

Talk of SSV heading towards 60k here with all the bits ...... Those waiting excitedly for HSV might be a little bit disappointed. Especially if the Corvette engine is used you would be looking at 100k plus Commodore. If AMG was serious and wanted to do something here along with the M brand ..... ? The local car pricing is certainly not helping with keeping the prices on par with the rest of the world.

Don't want to see local manufacture go of course ..... but don't want it to stay if we are forced to pay for it over and above what is reasonable. There does come a tipping point. Is 50% levy on local built cars reasonable to keep the manufacturing here? If the VF sells above their expectations, especially in the states, hopefully a reduction in price can follow? Doubt it.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #667
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

One word

TAX
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #668
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at more pics of the chev SS I am underwhelmed by the exterior styling, it seems quite bland for a sports model.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #669
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I like the bobtail on the ss it looks more euro, not so much boy racer imo. Put 4wd under it & its a claytons Audi lol! As for the rest of the range, for me the jury is still out.

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #670
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The real problem for "over-charging" on cars is the consumer (and yes, I'm one). If everyone said, "Hey, these prices are too high I'm not buying", or "I'm buying the other manufacturer's vehicle", then something would happen to the pricing.

In the real world, of course, that won't happen, so things go on as they were. It's the same reason banks are able to get away with their BS.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #671
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simple supply and demand. However if the locals go, do you think prices for big cars will be as cheap as they are now?
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #672
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

I think the price is too high.

There's alot of cars, european, for around that price that people will jump at.

I bet, to get sales, they'll do what they do here and discount the crappers out of this car.
In a couple of months, when they get supply behind them, watch them leave the doors for up to 10k less.
Question is, is it the US govenment paying for the loss or is it the AUS govenment paying for it??

Last edited by flappist; 17-02-2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: swear filter
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #673
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I was a Holden buyer, now knowing I am getting a screwed over by the very company i have loyally supported for years, buying new holdens, supporting australian jobs, I would take my money elsewhere.

If ford did the same, it would be goodbye ford, time to buy something
other than Australian Made.

It is ridiculous to think that not only as a tax payer having my dollars thrown at the feet of companies like Holden to ensure their survival, that I am forced to pay a premium for the product that my tax $$$$$ helped to build, to only have another country reap the benefit's.

Talk about getting shafted twice.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #674
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some very good pictures of the USA SS model here: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/live-...#photo-5645742

Does anyone want to compare with the Australian model photos?
Old 17-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #675
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of people are very upset about the cheaper USA pricing.

You need to think about the bigger picture here, USA pricing is generally 2 - 3 times cheaper for most imported cars and models, it gets worse as you go up the price leader. For Holden to compete in that market they simply had no choice, in fact the suggested price would put the SS in direct competition with many cars costing the equivalent of Australian 100K price bracket.
Old 17-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #676
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Holden have spent $500 million on the VF. Ford will be spending $100 million on 2014 Falcon. That's not a good sign.

But Holden are playing funny buggers with the VF SS pics they have released because they have quietly said its just a concept at this stage and may not even represent the car once it goes on sale. Those wheels are still be discussed wether they will be an option or not, and by the look of it they have taken a fair chunk out of the suspension height too. Very sly.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #677
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Holden have spent $500 million on the VF. Ford will be spending $100 million on 2014 Falcon. That's not a good sign.
What Ford have said is that $100 Million is earmarked for efficiency and emissions improvements to take the Falcon AND Territory out to "at least the end of 2016". There has been no mention of the $$$ for the styling and content upgrade - much like Holden didnt say anything when they were developing the VF.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #678
Smoin
Starter Motor

looks like a cruze and a ve = fail
Smoin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #679
RAPID_BA
Banned

is the SS getting the 6.2 LS3
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #680
Dilzzyy
XR6T Member

http://www.caradvice.com.au/214859/h...-supercharged/

Looks like the ss with get a 6.2 litre 309kw 563 nm motor.

FG XR6T 50TH ANNIVERSARY SOLD
Dilzzyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #681
Uwish

The SS gets a L99 which is an LS3 with E85 capability and Cylinder deactivation.
Fingers crossed the HSV line up get the LSA engine. 6.2ltr Supercharged.
That will stick to the Boss 335.
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #682
RAPID_BA
Banned

I think the VE looked better than the FG and the VF widens that gap. The FG offset this with its performance offerings.

If VF perfromance matches or betters FG in performance, (LS3 for SS and Supercharged 6.2 HSV) it will just about make the falcon extinct.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #683
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

100kg less than a VE and 430kw is a little excessive for a highway cruiser isn't it
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #684
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Wow that Chevy SS is a bargain! Love the interior, and to know it gets the 309kw engine make it even more desirable. Interesting to know what The SSV will get.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #685
BHDOGS
Banned

I wonder how many wagons they will sell since there exporting that to
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #686
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I dont get how Americans can complain about the styling...when the VF looks 1000 times better the Impala...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #687
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Lucky the 315/335 and F6 have plenty of head room.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #688
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
I dont get how Americans can complain about the styling...when the VF looks 1000 times better the Impala...
The concerning thing would be they're claim plainsong even after its basically styled exactly like the corporate models.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #689
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
The concerning thing would be they're claim plainsong even after its basically styled exactly like the corporate models.
That should be complaining
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #690
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This article claims the Holden SS will only feature the existing 6.0 engine.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/215006/h...-v8-commodore/