Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the verdict? .... Yes or No. Pick 1 of each.
EXTERIOR - YES 172 46.11%
EXTERIOR - NO 189 50.67%
INTERIOR - YES 273 73.19%
INTERIOR - NO 93 24.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #691
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: VF Holden

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam View Post
100kg less than a VE and 430kw is a little excessive for a highway cruiser isn't it
VF is only 40kg lighter.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #692
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
What Ford have said is that $100 Million is earmarked for efficiency and emissions improvements to take the Falcon AND Territory out to "at least the end of 2016". There has been no mention of the $$$ for the styling and content upgrade - much like Holden didnt say anything when they were developing the VF.
This is where it's a bit of a grey area, because it's the only funding they have announced. There has been no word of any extra spending on top of that, so it's hard to know what they might spend. But I gaurantee it will be nowhere near what Holden have spent. Probably not even half.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #693
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
VF is only 40kg lighter.
I'm not up with the latest engines in the VE but are they still running the iron block? Because if they are and they are using the us spec engine across the range now it might just be 100kg lighter all up. (In the ss)
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #694
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam View Post
I'm not up with the latest engines in the VE but are they still running the iron block? Because if they are and they are using the us spec engine across the range now it might just be 100kg lighter all up. (In the ss)
all holden engines are alloy
and the same 270kw 6.0l engine will still be used.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #695
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
This is where it's a bit of a grey area, because it's the only funding they have announced. There has been no word of any extra spending on top of that, so it's hard to know what they might spend. But I gaurantee it will be nowhere near what Holden have spent. Probably not even half.
They've spoken of the efficiency measures and funding that is going to towards that as this is what is supported by Government. Holden did not talk up their funding intentions for VF either.

To be frank, I'm quite surprised that Holden have spent so much on VF when they're supposedly moving to a new platform in a few years. Recoup 500 million in a few years?? will see some red ink I think.

Falcon, we know there's crash, clays, a certain amount of new tech etc. The program is not resourced like a global program (ie T6 for example), so the operational expenditure won't be as much, but 2014 Falc will be quite a bit more than 100 million that's spoken about. If there is to be a new platform for Falcon come end of 2016, then it wouldn't be too smart to spend or put your hand out for huge somes of money for something that will run for 2 years once released. Save the $$$$ for the next big thing.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #696
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

And don't forget, that efficiency implementation is for the Territory as well. I'd say Euro V is tied up in there somewhere given the cutoff dates are in 2016.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #697
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1 View Post
They've spoken of the efficiency measures and funding that is going to towards that as this is what is supported by Government. Holden did not talk up their funding intentions for VF either.

To be frank, I'm quite surprised that Holden have spent so much on VF when they're supposedly moving to a new platform in a few years. Recoup 500 million in a few years?? will see some red ink I think.

Falcon, we know there's crash, clays, a certain amount of new tech etc. The program is not resourced like a global program (ie T6 for example), so the operational expenditure won't be as much, but 2014 Falc will be quite a bit more than 100 million that's spoken about. If there is to be a new platform for Falcon come end of 2016, then it wouldn't be too smart to spend or put your hand out for huge somes of money for something that will run for 2 years once released. Save the $$$$ for the next big thing.
I think Holden have decided the only way to continue manufacturing in Australia is to export and the VF is the first step in getting tech of the car world competitive - hence the spend.

Unfortunately the styling of the VF SS has gone over like a lead balloon on American blogs and news sites. A hurried restyle with obligatory hood scooops and big **** spoiler wont surprise me given the American sentiment for the car.

I hope for the sake of the Australian car industry they make the Commodore work.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #698
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
If I was a Holden buyer, now knowing I am getting a screwed over by the very company i have loyally supported for years, buying new holdens, supporting australian jobs, I would take my money elsewhere.

If ford did the same, it would be goodbye ford, time to buy something
other than Australian Made.

It is ridiculous to think that not only as a tax payer having my dollars thrown at the feet of companies like Holden to ensure their survival, that I am forced to pay a premium for the product that my tax $$$$$ helped to build, to only have another country reap the benefit's.

Talk about getting shafted twice.
We don't know what Ford would charge for an exported Falcon to the US of course, but given they would have to price it to sell in the same competitive market as Commodore is now facing and has less standard equipment... Well I would expect it to be cheaper in the US too.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #699
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
A hurried restyle with obligatory hood scooops and big **** spoiler wont surprise me given the American sentiment for the car.
I was thinking the same thing last night....
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #700
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
I dont get how Americans can complain about the styling...when the VF looks 1000 times better the Impala...
No screamining eagle decals.
No ripply cladding.
No hood scoops.
Not enough "blue steel"
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #701
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
No screamining eagle decals.
No ripply cladding.
No hood scoops.
Not enough "blue steel"
And does it have cup holders that can hold a gallon of pepsi?
Old 19-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #702
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
And does it have cup holders that can hold a gallon of pepsi?
"And I want a liter of Cola!!!"

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #703
F6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100 View Post
This article claims the Holden SS will only feature the existing 6.0 engine.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/215006/h...-v8-commodore/

So, not only will it be 30% cheaper in the US than here in Australia, it appears to be of a much higher spec' in comparison...6.2 LS3, staggered 20's, Brembos, etc.

Volume and potential market is the key. Take the new M5 for example.... $250K here in Oz, same car (but LHD) in USA is $95K....

We are a miniscule global market with a population that's 15 million less than the state of California !! = No buying power = smile, lube up and bend over ..

current rides.....
F6E - Cooler, Cat, CAI, Flash, 20's, SSL's - 317 rwkw : 9/10
BFII - Workhorse yoot : 6/10

past bitches of note.....
E60 M5 - V10 excess, the pinacle : 11/10
VE SSV - 102000 trouble free Kms : 9/10
VZ Cross8 - V8 AWD, great allrounder. : 8/10
BA XR8 - Fat & Slow : 3/10
XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
F6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #704
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

The price difference is varing factors, it's not all gouging. There is obvioulsy the taxes and transport costs, on top of that the support provided by the manufacturers with stock holding, premises leasing fee and staff salaries are higher here than alot of countries. In Europe or US 1 or 2 distribution centres can carry all parts reqired for a brand and have them delivered within 24hrs (even to country areas), this is not the case in Australia the investment required by dealers and manufactures as a percentage of vehichle sale is substantially higher than any other developed country (with the exception of New Zealand). Being a relatively wealthy population, we can also afford more than most other markets.

If Alfa's were sold for the same value Australia as they are in Europe, we'd see a lot more on the road than we do now. They can't match the price because the distributor/dealers would go broke not making enough margin to keep the business going or be sued to go broke for offering little to no support.

However when it comes to so-called prestige brands, there is a big chunk of gouging in the pricing even taking all those factors into account.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #705
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ_Smooth View Post
The price difference is varing factors, it's not all gouging. There is obvioulsy the taxes and transport costs, on top of that the support provided by the manufacturers with stock holding, premises leasing fee and staff salaries are higher here than alot of countries. In Europe or US 1 or 2 distribution centres can carry all parts reqired for a brand and have them delivered within 24hrs (even to country areas), this is not the case in Australia the investment required by dealers and manufactures as a percentage of vehichle sale is substantially higher than any other developed country (with the exception of New Zealand). Being a relatively wealthy population, we can also afford more than most other markets.

If Alfa's were sold for the same value Australia as they are in Europe, we'd see a lot more on the road than we do now. They can't match the price because the distributor/dealers would go broke not making enough margin to keep the business going or be sued to go broke for offering little to no support.

However when it comes to so-called prestige brands, there is a big chunk of gouging in the pricing even taking all those factors into account.

GREAT justification of why we pay more for imported cars here , and why we build cars and sell them overseas cheaper to them . . perhaps we should buy them from America and import them here ourselves , how much would that be do you think . ?
A rip off is a rip off . There simply is no excuse for it .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #706
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Sedan and ute released on facebook.

All I can say is those wheels look more and more like G6ET wheels!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #707
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

The orange ute looks like a good piece of kit!
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #708
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would have thought they'd at least give the tail lights a different bezel or something to differentiate it from behind. But the new front looks GREAT on the Sports Wagon. Looks very smart, and the colour was a great choice.

The UTE however, now looks a bit spongy without that tough VE front. Funnily enough it appear it's the UTE that has aged the worst, and it was the standout at launch IMHO. Though I'd love to see one with a hardtop, should make it look much cleaner.
Old 19-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #709
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The wagon is all class. I'm impressed with how that all fits together
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #710
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

It's pretty clear that the Calais is the pick in regards to the frontal treatment. Actually underwhelmed by the SS. Probably why it wasn't used at the initial launch. Whereas the VE exuded toughness, the VF SS says 'soft'. The Calais looks tougher.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #711
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think to the average person it will be a case of 'don't look no different'.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #712
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

One thing I'll say is I think they should have committed to either LED DRL's or fog lights, rather then both. Looks a bit messy.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #713
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Sedan and ute released on facebook.

All I can say is those wheels look more and more like G6ET wheels!
Is the ute painted in blood orange?
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #714
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

The lines are all wrong, the ute and the wagon do not work. Side gills are starting to annoy me too, the more i look at them, the worse it becomes, its all in the detail.
Old 19-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #715
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

when do we get to see a omega? as it will be my next ute im hoping its nice
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #716
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The exterior doesn't do it for me. Particularly the SS the rubber bumper insert in the middle of the grille, were they thinking bumper car?

But full marks for the headlights styled after Dame Edna's glasses. How Aussie is that.

Old 19-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #717
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if anyone posted, but it's official - The V8's in SS's and SS-V will be the same 6.0l snail, meanwhile the Chev SS variant gets the 6.2l AND is 10k cheaper.

Bahaha awesome, hope Holden fails.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #718
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The colours in the ute & Wagon picture are terrible!! And even that is being nice
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #719
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post

Bahaha awesome, hope Holden fails.

Well, that shows how immature you are...

I dont mind that ute...im glad that those stupid flared gaurds have gone. i wonder if yhe omega will use the larger grill, or the S type shape.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #720
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that would look sweet with a trayback option!!! sadly people that want trayback utes have moved elsewhere. I know this is a ford site but I actually didn't mind the look of the VY and VZ tonners
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post