Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 20-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
b2428

Default ma to mc options

After a few issues have crept up with with my ma mondeo if considering updating to an Mc zetec diesel. I already know that the transmission is going to be a far wack dearer to service but has there been any other issues that I need to consider. My mondeo has just over the 80000 mark and the one I am considering is around the 100000 mark.

Is there any other main differences in spec. And how does the powershift drive when compared to the normal auto that is present in the ma. I really wanted a focus sport so I could get a manual but value wise they seem to still be holding there value meaning harder to spend the extra.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: ma to mc options

The Zetec has a lot of fruit tbh, I'm sure there is a list on here that has them, besides the actual physical changes. I think the new Mondeo (beautiful design) will be here half way through next year or beginning of 2016 but I don't think anyone really knows.

On the Transmission: (personal opinion)
The Powershift (PS) is a different beast altogether, with that comes some differences in operation and feel. There's no torque converter, it's a dry plate dual clutch transmission. You'll feel vibrations that seem like a failure is imminent but it's not always the case. Most buy an auto for the smooth gear changes ect.. and don't ever remotely consider any sportiness, the PS DCT will change the feeling to sportiness, sharper and may even feel weird but it's best to drive one and completely test it out for your own opinion on it.

Ford Powershift is developed by Getrag which also supplies the dual clutch transmissions used by BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Mitsubishi, Volvo. VW DSG is a Borg-Warner developed transmission so they aren't related to the Ford in any way apart from the concept of how the transmission works. But it doesn't mean it's immune to a fault developing. I think Ford have a few Technical Service Bulletins in the States (dunno if they made it to here though) and software updates to the Trans. Controller.

The answer will be in the testing... That's all I've got really.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
b2428

Thanks Cobrin. I must admit I have driven manuals (including the good old RoadRanger, autos, cvt but never a transmission like the powershift.

I also must admit I never really drive mine like its an auto anyway. Spends the majority of its time in manual. I am interested to see how the PS goes in auto as opposed to mine, esp considering mines not really that smooth, more firm then anything.

When it comes to the fruit, the TDCi has most of what I want except for a dual climate that only allows 4 degrees of seperation which I find frustrating sometimes. Oh but missus out on the USB input for music.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

With the MC, the Zetec trim level is available with both Petrol(Ecoboost) and TDCi. With MA the Zetec and "TDCi" were the same trim level under different names, so you will wont be going backwards spec wise.

Personally, the only thing that I don't like about our MC is the Powershift gear box. I like an auto the that is smooth under all conditions, I find the P/S to be sluggish off the mark and the more direct nature and lack of "slushiness"/smoothness overall. This is just the trait of the P/S and is only my opinion, I know people who actually prefer the more direct nature of this style of gearbox. One thing it does do however, and you may find suits your preference for manual shifting, is that P/S will rev-match under downshifts in manual mode and sports mode and very fast at swapping cogs overall.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with DFB on the sluggishness of the powershift off the mark. Takes some getting used to. But on the open road, the gearbox is a dream, with super quick, smooth changes. I find that the harder you push it, the better it gets.
Entering roundabouts and intersections are the bug-bear. Here it is easy for the tranny to become "confused".
A test drive should let you know for yourself.
Steve
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
. Takes some getting used to.
Steve
This is very true. Coming from Falcons with torque converter autos, I have found it takes a bit to get used the the traits of a PowerShift style of gearbox. DCT's (and their traits) are popular in Europe where manuals have been typically been more popular, but have been widely panned in the USA where they have typically preferred slushy torque converters.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post