Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #31
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
I've heard people say things like, "We have our own oil rigs getting oil from our own country, why don't we use it?" Does anyone know? Is it quality of fuel, octane, labour too high, not enough to go around for everyone? I wonder if we did use it, would it be influenced by world wide prices? If it was cheaper, maybe it'd get exported so they might keep the price the same.

Maybe we do use it?
We do indeed. We pump our own oil and refine a small amount. But we pay a market price for it, as dave au has explained. The companies involved are foreign owned - if we legislated that they sell to us at market price less x%, they'd take their bat, ball and sod off somewhere else.

IIRC we are 70% self sufficient, 30% is imported - but we pay the same price for it all.

This is NOT parity pricing - parity was discarded many moon ago (bob hawke). It's deregulated but the effect is similar...
Old 28-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #32
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

now im waiting for america to pump out of alaska and someone to build more refineries, after that we should see crude drop back to 30-40 per barrel and fuel drop back below $1... cant wait.

and just to put a spin on this thread they estimate about 10 to 20 years oil out of alaska and if the greens step aside approx 100 years under antartica (if we can overcome the freezing problem) ;)

there is one positive out of all of this if they do start pumping out of these areas they wont have to buy expensive oil off middle east ;)

back to topic now......
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #33
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

how many petrol threads do there need to be before everyone stops posting them? petrols expensive, better get used to it.
Falcon_Phill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 04:11 PM   #34
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
how many petrol threads do there need to be before everyone stops posting them? petrols expensive, better get used to it.
Agreed. But it is funny isn't it how the "so called experts" of the oil industry say that nothing can be done about it, but yet these are the people that dirve around in "petrol payed for company cars" while reaping the benefits of more money in their pocket from insane prices at the pump. The way i see it, it has nothing to do with the price of a barrel of oil, but the fact that these multi billion dollar company's (not the government although they get a share) are getting rather greedy. But like falcon phill said, better get used to it.
Old 28-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #35
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE_351
Agreed. But it is funny isn't it how the "so called experts" of the oil industry say that nothing can be done about it, but yet these are the people that dirve around in "petrol payed for company cars" while reaping the benefits of more money in their pocket from insane prices at the pump. The way i see it, it has nothing to do with the price of a barrel of oil, but the fact that these multi billion dollar company's (not the government although they get a share) are getting rather greedy. But like falcon phill said, better get used to it.
You didnt read the link? 2.2c margin per litre is pretty slim. Id rather fork out the $50million and set up a bank. Refining oil is a mug's game.
Old 28-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #36
Steffo
LPG > You

As much as I complain about expensive petrol, I drive a van that uses 12.5-15.9 (measured) litres/100km average depending on temp, aircon use etc and pay up without much thought to it.

And its carb so its an easy LPG conversion, but I still pay for the ULP.

Whatever. If it gets to a point where driving is impossible, maybe then we'll all stop whinging and actually do something about it?
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #37
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

its funny how some of the oil companys have had a record profit, somewhere in the vicinity of $6,000,000,000 (six billion) and of course there is the fuel excise, importing fees, and the good old GST so i dont think its the oil companys are to blame, i believe is our money grabbing government...as for using our own export oil? if we did there wouldnt be much else for OZ to export , (apart from wheat to iraq) but thats just my opinion, disagree if you like...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Last edited by [Tonko]; 28-04-2006 at 04:34 PM. Reason: proof reading is your friend
[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #38
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonko351
if we did there wouldnt be much else for OZ to export , (apart from wheat to iraq) but thats just my opinion, disagree if you like...
Coal? Our bannana republic
Old 28-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #39
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
petrols expensive, better get used to it.
I agree. It is what it is and we can't do anything about it except to get use to it. It sucks and yeah I hate filling up at nearly $1.50 (premium) but oh well, that's life.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 05:02 PM   #40
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
You didnt read the link? 2.2c margin per litre is pretty slim. Id rather fork out the $50million and set up a bank. Refining oil is a mug's game.
According to other reports, the margin in Aus is more like 11c per litre, around double that of the US. We actually also get fuel cheaper here than in the US per barrel, it's just the tax is about double as well for us, hence the Yanks get away with cheaper fuel because of smaller tax and smaller margins...

But yeah, you never know who to believe any more which I guess is half the problem. Forget $1.50 being a problem, it'll be over $2/litre next year. It's going to damage the economy with interest rates rising as well, there will be much less consumer spending, and blah blah blah, yeah, heard it all before I guess :

Mazda 3 SP23 here I come...
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #41
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Everyone else should convert to crappy hybrid cars and have only one lane. The car enthusiasts can then enjoy cheapers prices due to less demand and we can have the other lane.

(NOTE: This theory only works on dual lane roadways)

Jokes aside, as much as I hate not driving, I am kind of looking forward to the new job being a bike ride or 15 min bus ride away from home. Will be a godsend
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #42
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
According to other reports, the margin in Aus is more like 11c per litre, around double that of the US. We actually also get fuel cheaper here than in the US per barrel, it's just the tax is about double as well for us, hence the Yanks get away with cheaper fuel because of smaller tax and smaller margins...
You have to remember that the USA has over 10 times more people than us, so effectively thier tax income from fuel would still be greater than ours.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 05:28 PM   #43
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
You have to remember that the USA has over 10 times more people than us, so effectively thier tax income from fuel would still be greater than ours.
Countries in the middle east actually have massive subsidies on their fuel at the pump... i dont see the relevance of their tax system or the USA's tho??
Old 28-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #44
SIKXR8220

I think you have to look past the bigger picture of fuel costs going up as fuel is something you can probably do without or reduce your consumption. But how many people here will still have a decent quality of life if your food bill goes up by $50 a week because of increased transport costs, or when interests rates hit 15 or 20%. Alot of people are going to lose their homes. Fuel is the least of my concerns at the moment. I am not looking forward to the next few yars.

SIKXR8220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #45
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Countries in the middle east actually have massive subsidies on their fuel at the pump... i dont see the relevance of their tax system or the USA's tho??
I was just replying to a post on the USA havin lower tax then us, no implication with extreme hikes. I understand perfectully that fuel prices are the way they are, luckily my mother dirves a small 4 cyl and i use lpg, so it hasnt really struck us too much.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 05:55 PM   #46
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
Are you forgetting that because of that much larger population they also have to spend much more tax than we do?

It's not like they're only spending $x and we're spend $x but we (Aus) have to get the same $ off a smaller population. If that was the case, we'd never stop paying tax to try and make up for how much tax $ the US brings in : It's relative both ways, earning and spending (to a certain degree).

I was mainly highlighting that the US actually pays more for their fuel than we do, but consumers pay less because of smaller retail margins and much lower tax costs.

At the end of the day, we're all screwed anyhow
Old 28-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #47
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Quote:
I was mainly highlighting that the US actually pays more for their fuel than we do, but consumers pay less because of smaller retail margins and much lower tax costs.
Im not so sure about that the West Texas crude oil price is always cheaper than the Singapore board price that we pay (to the tune of $2 a barrell)

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #48
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's pretty sad when you think about it. We've been on earth for quite some time, and only started using a great amount of oil, what 50? 60? years ago.. And allready the supplies would have to be getting quite a bit smaller.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #49
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

I think it's bad when petrol rises so does LPG.

How many people would love to run 98 octane but end up running 91 octane because of the higher fuel prices.
When i first bought my car it was the first car i had ever had that ran ULP, I gave it a couple of the Premium and it ran good i was happy to use it and pay the extra money for it. that was about $1.19. Now ULP is $1.39 last time i looked i just can't think about running it at all now.
Old 28-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #50
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
I think it's bad when petrol rises so does LPG.

How many people would love to run 98 octane but end up running 91 octane because of the higher fuel prices.
When i first bought my car it was the first car i had ever had that ran ULP, I gave it a couple of the Premium and it ran good i was happy to use it and pay the extra money for it. that was about $1.19. Now ULP is $1.39 last time i looked i just can't think about running it at all now.
I thought that to for a while, but it's a bit ironic. Let's say premium is around 10c per litre more than ULP (i don't know exact prices, so that's my guess). When you were happy to pay $1.20 for PULP, you were paying about an extra 9% or so for PULP. Now if PULP costs $1.40, it means you're paying about an extra 7.5% for PULP.

Meaning the more ULP goes up in price, the better value PULP is...
Old 28-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #51
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
It's pretty sad when you think about it. We've been on earth for quite some time, and only started using a great amount of oil, what 50? 60? years ago.. And allready the supplies would have to be getting quite a bit smaller.
I think this one sums it up pretty well... shows oil consumption past and predicted future

Old 28-04-2006, 07:32 PM   #52
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I dont agree that we should be demanding lower fuel prices out of one side of our mouth whilst burning more than is necessary out of the other....

Devil's advocate, of course
Why not, the Seppo's keep building bigger engines and cars - Hummer anyone? - whilst complaining that their 'gasoline' is going through the roof.

And if we follow little Johnny Howards way of thinking, whats good enough for them is good enough for us!

(tongue now removed from cheek)
Old 28-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #53
XITED_6
Was It Something I Said!

in 10 years time australia will no longer be the lucky country to live.
new I.R laws, petrol prices etc are fine examples.
ive herd petrol prices will be $3.00 late 2007
so i suppose we better start some backyard operation such as growing the weed
Old 28-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #54
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

If petrol is gonna be 3 bucks in late 2007, I think I'll have to get myself a little 1L 3 cylinder Dihatsu Charade and encase my Focus in a glass box for display. So I can say to myself.. see that... I used to drive that beast of a car. :P

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 09:10 PM   #55
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITED_6
in 10 years time australia will no longer be the lucky country to live.
new I.R laws, petrol prices etc are fine examples.
ive herd petrol prices will be $3.00 late 2007
so i suppose we better start some backyard operation such as growing the weed
I hope i get a Big fat raise to combat that.
Old 28-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #56
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah I love my car. Have used $30 over 2 weeks many of times. Bloody ripper!
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 10:08 PM   #57
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

8 billion profit for exon for the past qaurter, the poor buggers
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 10:13 PM   #58
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how would you like to be an owner driver of a semi, medium fuel capacity 6/700 litres,.....large fuel capacity 2000 litres, filler up mate
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 10:41 PM   #59
shane3
FPV GT 0915

LOL every one it winging about $1.40 c/ltr but say NOTHING about $2.40 for a 600ml bottle of "spring water"
And the other day I payed $1.49.9 c/ ltr for optimax
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 10:44 PM   #60
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

Yeah, the fuel costs of the semi driver is passed on, we all pay for it in the end whether we have a fuel hungry V8 or a 4cyl or a LPG car or if you have a Company car with fuel. Lucky you have LPG, it was only a few years ago it was 19c/ltr now it's up around 50c/ltr so your paying more for it to. Don't blame the oil companines, dont blame the govt. Attitudes like that is why they make billions in profits, just like the banks ohh no not another bank fee, but we keep paying it, and they keep making billions more. Petrol is just like alcohol, cigaretts, food its an item that everyone buys and they are items that the Govt makes the most money from. We are well on the roads to a depression - Interest rates increase in 1929 started the great depression. Or maybe another recession: Signs and Causes of Recession
October 27, 2005

Filed under: In The News — Bob @ 6:49 pm
The media and private business meetings alike are reflecting increasing concern about the world economy. There are plenty of dynamic signs, like the boom in mergers and acquisitions and the fabulous private wealth still being created round the world. But these are often harbingers of approaching calamity, of boiling over and leaving famine behind where there had been feast.

Yesterday I heard a super-rich property tycoon enumerating the several reasons why he feels that the economic journey from here on will be sharply downwards. Arguing the contrary is hard. Most important, it’s true that we’ve yet to pay the economic price of the surge in oil prices. The notorious quadrupling of this key factor in the Sheikh Yamani days was the equivalent of taking one machine in four out of commission around the industrialised world – with a recessionary impact that few could withstand in comfort.

The oil price effect might be cushioned this time by the switch in emphasis in the world economy from manufactured goods to services. But on the debit side, if a climate of fear is building, that in itself will create the very calamity of which people are afraid.
djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post