Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
blue._.skyes

Default Extractors

What's everyone's opinions on extractors? I'm after a set for my AU II... it's got a sports exhaust (nothing too special)... only brands I've really heard anything much about are pacemaker, redback and lukeys... pacemaker being the most expensive. Is the extra cost worth it for the pacemakers?

blue._.skyes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
superyob
Banned

Default Re: Extractors

Extractors good!
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Extractors are very good, make the engine much more efficient.
To get the most benefit they should be used with a good sports exhaust system.

I like extractors with smallish pipes as that's what works best in 95% of engines circumstances.
For this reason I'm not big on Pacemakers as most of them have Primaries which are too big IMO.

My favorite headers for the I6 were the JMM race series as they also had a very long secondary pipe. This gave a really wide spread of power.
They aren't cheap though.

I picked up a set of el cheapo headers from Ebay a while back for our AU work ute and they're great. Similar in design to the JMM ones, but without the long secondary.
They were $280.

If you match it with a full system, use a 2.5" system as that's pretty much ideal for these engines.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

These are probably the best bang for your buck around -

http://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/pr...7729b1c069d759

Old 02-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
blue._.skyes

Thanks what sort of price would I be looking at for the JMMs? I know it's going to depend where I go but just as a rough guess... I can't find anything much price wise on the internet... might ring a few places next week.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
Day-mow
rexnet

according to this http://www.jimmockmotorsport.com/mai...Mail_Order.php
Jmm headers are $490 a set

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
according to this http://www.jimmockmotorsport.com/mai...Mail_Order.php
Jmm headers are $490 a set
That's their 'standard' headers, which are very similar to the ones I linke to above.
Their 'race series', with the longer primaries are even more, and probably a bit too pricey IMO. But they do work really well, you get what you pay for I suppose.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
robbyj
Rob

I have hurricane headers and am very happy with them. No matter what you choose you will be happy with the difference you feel.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
blue._.skyes

Yeah I saw the hurricane ones on ebay... hard decision :/ There's so many different brands around...
What's the deal with the paceys... 4480 and 4499... read a lot of debates about them lol, none of them very conclusive. From what I understand there isn't a lot of difference in performance of the 2 unless you intend on modding the engine with cams etc? In which case the 4480s are better?
And I spoke to a mate about redbacks and he said genie make them... and genie are the better of the 2, being mandrel bent as opposed to the redbacks which are press bent... is there really that much difference between the mandrel bent ones?
Just wanna make sure I know as much as I can before I make a decision... and talking to any exhaust place they're just going to try sell whatever they stock.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
robbyj
Rob

Hurricane are mandrel bent aswell.
Not sure what difference it actually makes, im sure press bent ones last a good while as well. But if the company is press bending them, their quality is not going to be as good. Id reckon it would be worth the extra hundred or so for a well known brand. Exactly right about the exhaust joint selling what they stock.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #11
Day-mow
rexnet

pacemaker 4480's ftw.
i wish i was given the option when i got mine instead of just being given 4499's

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 17-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
blue._.skyes

Just remembered I started this thread ha ha... finally got a set of extractors fitted today... yay! Ended up going with some Genies. I was actually waiting for a set of second hand paceys to come up and came across the Genies. Got them and a cat for a good price secondhand.
Has a much better sound now than it did with the cat back system, and a little extra go. It's still pretty quiet at idle but loud when you put your boot into it. Pretty happy so far after the couple of drives I've had!
Just thought I'd post up the end result
Old 17-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Day-mow
rexnet

oh good stuff. glad to hear your happy

Old 17-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have genies too, they really do give the 6 potter a grouse note, glad you got a good result.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

iv had 2 full systems

the 1st one in my white au witch was pacemaker PH4499's Into a belistic 100PCI raceing cat (2.5 inlet outleft 3"ch body) into a 2.5 Redback sports system

in my silver au its got pacemaker PH4499's with a modifyed Flange 3" into a 3ich inlet and outlet Medalcore hiflow cat into a custome G+D 2.5inc Exhaust

this is how my White au use to sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8Wy...99AUAAAAAAASAA

this is how my Silver au sounds (Camed with dose not help)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN_tJ...37AUAAAAAAAEAA
Old 18-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by POELWYK
iv had 2 full systems

the 1st one in my white au witch was pacemaker PH4499's Into a belistic 100PCI raceing cat (2.5 inlet outleft 3"ch body) into a 2.5 Redback sports system

in my silver au its got pacemaker PH4499's with a modifyed Flange 3" into a 3ich inlet and outlet Medalcore hiflow cat into a custome G+D 2.5inc Exhaust

this is how my White au use to sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8Wy...99AUAAAAAAASAA

this is how my Silver au sounds (Camed with dose not help)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN_tJ...37AUAAAAAAAEAA
not bad, i like the second one better, mine also has the extractors cut back till the opening is 3 inches wide with 3 inch cat and race muffler and hot dog on the end, a little droney in some of the rev range , but very deep note until the revs get up a bit, awesome for pottering around the burbs.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post