Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #1
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How Good Is Your Au?

i can`t speak for you guys , but this week past i`ve been in 2 cars i have never been in before, and after driving the other 2 vehicles and hopping back into my old ford,(AU s2 XR6) i thought dam this thing is good to drive, admittedly the first car i drove was a Hyundai getz, ......... OMG IT WAS HORRIFIC, truly i hated it,
the ride in the au and effortless nature of driving it wonderful steering, very stable handling compared to the economy car,
early saturday i drove a lexus ls400, and it was very good car,did everything well, had everything that opens and shutsand over $100,000 buks new, but it just did`nt have the feel of the AU, but after driving it and hopping back in the au , wow Ford got it right in the AU,

i`ve had mine for 7 years, it`s been the rock of the family, when other family members cars have bit the dust, out comes the AU with a trailer for rescue operations, when a family member was sick in hospital for three months the au was the ever reliable taxi to go back and forth to hospital daily,
i`d be lying if i said i did`nt get bored with it at times, as i said it`s been my daily taxi for 7 years, a bit sorry i did`nt get the v8 (note to self if you really want the bigger engine get the bugger), small flaws aside, mine has been a truly ripping car.

any one else have a similar experience??

mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Default Re: How Good Is Your Au?

I purchased my AUIII XR6 new in Feb 02. Just a few moms till it rolls past 200k and apart for replacing the PS hose and the alternator which the resulting oil leak killed, it has been an amazing car! I will never sell it.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Cúl-Báire

I often think jumping between my AU XR8, and our BA XR6 is like chaulk and cheese - that AU is just so well balanced, and offers a little oversteer (it is a ute); the BA understeers pretty hard and often has me wondering if it will turn in when pushed hard.

I find the AU tends to feel like it's gonig fast, where as the BA you can easily go fast but it feels like your walking.

I love the XR8 it's a fantastic package, even if it is a little under powered.
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

In 2000 I had an AU2 egas for a company car. Loved it. They upgraded in 2003 to a BA egas. What a nightmare. This was backfiring constantly and the rotors would warp after about 2000k's. When I left the job in 2006 I bought a camry - understeers and handles like a boat, but the only work I have to do to it is change fluids.
I went and bought a AU3 in 2008 caused I missed it. They just have that nice feel on the road. We have a range of cars in our fleet at work, Corolla's, Focus', Commodores, Hyundai I30' and Subaru Forresters.
Nothing compares with the AU in terms of driveability. Everything in our fleet has is short geared, so they rev and there is a lot of throw back, but you don't go anywhere. Mind you the balance on those other cars is probably better, but there is just something that makes them feel like you are driving a billy kart. Having said that the focus has so much grip. This would be my pick if I couldn't drive my AU.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
nassi
Starter Motor

Yes they are a nice car, I have a III xr8 sedan and a III xr6 ute. Both have been excellent cars with ute well over 200,000 and still a pleasure to drive.
56 F100
nassi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
BHDOGS
Banned

Damn good
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
blue._.skyes

I was brought up a fully fledged Holden fan (my Dad is v8 supercar mad and lovesss Holdens)
Since about 6 months after buying my AU (Dad was devo I bought a Ford but it was cheap and and I was a P plater... anything was better than a 4 cylinder Corolla) I decided I was officially Ford all the way thats gotta mean something lol
blue._.skyes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Wagon has near 255,000 kays and I still love it. A wonderful family car.

SR has 200,000 and I love driving it also.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

My first car was an AU III Fairmont, sold to buy an FG. I have just returned to the AU series with a TS50, and I have to say its good to back. I still have the FG and its a fantastic car. However there is just something about the AU series that I just cant shake. Its probably because it was my first car, but the feel and simplicity of the AU that makes it feel so familiar after 4 years apart. I also love the curves and angles that laterm models traded for relative conservitism.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
EgoFalcon
The Villan

AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia had from new with 308,000k's still going strong. At the helm is my dad which calls it a 'retro' car.

Paint & the aerial lets it down though.

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just bought my first SERIES II XR8 and wow!!! Compared to the FG XR6T I had prior to that, this AU just handles and steers way better!!! Doesn't have the out right speed or acceleration of the FG, but the sweet sound of the Tickford 302 on song sounds awesome, and its still quick enough to get you into trouble!!! Fully optioned with the big brake package as well, makes braking a breeze!!! I love the damn thing
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Our wagon is getting close to ticking over 300k and ya can't kill it with an axe handle let alone a stick. I keep the fluids and spark plugs up to scratch and it just goes and goes and goes. If it got killed tomorrow I'd have no hesitation in going out and finding another one in an instant.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
TheSly1

Ive had my s3 SR for 5 years, got it at 187k ex company car, but was in good condition, its now about to tick over 330k and its doing well, slightly feeling its age which means ive got a bit of work to do on it, just the minor things (suspension soon but its done allot of kms i dont blame it) about 5k ago i did a motor swap, the old one was using lots of oil and the sump plug bolt was threaded, now got a mint motor...

Still love my falcon ive taken care of it mechiancally and its never let me down not even once...

what else can you ask for?
TheSly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeah its doing a smashing job and I will keep it for a few years while I sink money into some classic cars instead of buying new.

I always think about upgrading it, Ill get something new for the missus to cart the kids around but just for me I dont care so much. It has space, enough power for a daily, with a SVI system its good on fuel dollar wise ($150 for Melb to Canberra and back is nice) and I love its curves.

So while it is not costing me alot to keep on the road it will stay, only think i would change is converting it to a manual but thats way to much effort.

Its a rock.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mines been pretty solid. Still ironing out minor issues due to previous neglect, but i cant complain really.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #16
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

If cars are a "labour of love", then the AU takes out the labour part. Thats how good it is.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #17
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

I probably shouldn't comment. Very heavily biased. I will say though, buying an AU was quite by chance and probably would not have been my first choice. Converted now, and will be hanging on to mine until it dies.

Dare I say it, LTD luxury, ~270fwkw, Brembo stopping power and handling to boot! One happy camper!

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #18
GUTLES
Adam.

I purchased my 3rd AU a few weeks ago, can't go past them for a reliable nice to drive car. Good value now too!

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i stuffed up really bad this past week, i had a chance to buy a garaged all it`s life car, used as second car with only 77,000 kliks on it, a 200 kw Au s2 xr8 in pristine order......some one slap me., and then i did something even dumber, more on that later in the week .
Old 17-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
nassi
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i stuffed up really bad this past week, i had a chance to buy a garaged all it`s life car, used as second car with only 77,000 kliks on it, a 200 kw Au s2 xr8 in pristine order......some one slap me., and then i did something even dumber, more on that later in the week .
You told Proffesor Farnsworth about?
56 F100
nassi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah i think the professor already had his . we will wait an see.