Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Sinead Phipps

Default Ford announcement

Hi folks. I thought there was a thread here on this topic earlier but I can't find it now. Moderators, if I'm doubling up, please delete and move this to the other thread. We wanted you to share this news with you first but it looks like others have beaten us to the punch. Regardless, here it is from us so you are aware of the complete picture.

Today, we are announcing that the Falcon XR8 sedan will return to our Falcon line-up in late 2014. We’re excited about the return of the XR8 as we have received a large number of requests to bring it back. However, as some of Ford and Falcon’s most dedicated supporters, we also wanted to inform you directly that this will also mark the retirement of the FPV brand.

Late 2014 will mark the end of a celebrated era, a wonderful history going back 12 years as FPV and of course many years before that in our performance relationship with Tickford. You have been a part of this journey, this history and we thank you for your loyalty and support in making the FPV models and engines celebrated successes.

We will continue to offer service, parts and technical support for FPV vehicles for many years to come.

We understand that this news may not be what some of you have wanted to hear. However, be assured that we have planned a series of actions during 2014 to ensure the final FPV models’ iconic status is appropriately celebrated. We look forward to sharing more details of those plans next year.

Sinead Phipps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
krypto71

Default Re: Ford announcement

Can't wait to see the new XR8.

Presume the wording means no XR8 Ute?
krypto71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Pbond48
BF XR6 Falcon

Thats not good, I hope for 2014 that FPV produce some sort of last run limited edition
Pbond48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Thanks for posting up Sinead

'Series of actions'

Lads dwell on those words for a while

Reference to "in making the FPV models and engines celebrated successes", I know the curious may read into that the underbonnet of the XR8 may be something fresh?

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

History repeating itself

XB GT = FG GT
XC GXL = F?? XR8
XC Cobra = "FPV appropriately celebrated" special edition Falcon.

Falcon goes out with a FIZZ instead of a BANG
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the new xr8 front guards don't have a tickford badge on both front and one at the back don't bother making it, old fpv badges would be an insult fpv's lack of direction, market research, advertising and all round hsv wannabe attitude is why I glad its going, If ford aus plans to bring mustangs with ford motorsport badges this will be the second mistake, stick tickford badges on everything to remind people of the hay days, or not I don't care. Nissan is back in motorsport and I can easily change my flag its NISMO right?
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
krypto71

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
If the new xr8 front guards don't have a tickford badge on both front and one at the back don't bother making it, old fpv badges would be an insult fpv's lack of direction, market research, advertising and all round hsv wannabe attitude is why I glad its going, If ford aus plans to bring mustangs with ford motorsport badges this will be the second mistake, stick tickford badges on everything to remind people of the hay days, or not I don't care. Nissan is back in motorsport and I can easily change my flag its NISMO right?
Hope you enjoy your Altima. I've driven one, I think you'd enjoy the last Ford Falcon V8 a bit more....
krypto71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry, but Tickford are no longer a part of performance vehicles. They are but a memory. You wont find Tickford on any part of an XR8. Have a look on Wikipedia.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

The announcement as per media release.

"Ford’s iconic Falcon XR8 sedan will return to the Falcon line-up in late 2014.

The return of the XR8 is timed to coincide with the introduction of the 2014 Falcon and Territory update. The XR8 will be available through Ford’s full network of dealers Australia-wide, making the renowned Miami performance engine more accessible for V8 lovers.

“We have received a lot of interest and continued requests from Falcon fans to bring back the XR8,” said Ford Australia Vice President of Marketing, Sales and Service Graeme Whickman.

“Re-introducing the XR8 sedan, packaged in our updated Falcon, will make our renowned locally-engineered and manufactured V8 engine available to a broader group of people.”

As the Falcon XR8 returns to the Ford range, the Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) range will retire.

Ford has planned a series of actions during 2014 to ensure the final FPV models celebrate the brand’s iconic status. Further details will be provided at a later date.

“FPV has been very successful for the last 12 years and our relationship with Tickford for many years before that,” said Whickman.

“We appreciate all of the great team members, dealers, customers and fans who have supported FPV through its history. We look forward to sharing further details of the final FPV models and the new XR8 over the coming months.”
Old 11-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

please delete.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok

Last edited by Grunter; 11-11-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Sorry really need to read completely first.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ill never buy a new car so an altima wouldn't interest me, any thing nissan from 89 to current has a model that would destroy most falcons, 180sx, 200sx,silvia, 300zx,r32, r33,r34,r35 gtr,350z,370z probably a nissan duke,probably a sss pulsar. The cars they are racing on race day isn't what makes me fly my flag, its the motorsport heritage and being part of the greater picture Fpvs racing heritage is what 5 years old hah easy come easy go.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
Sorry, but Tickford are no longer a part of performance vehicles. They are but a memory. You wont find Tickford on any part of an XR8. Have a look on Wikipedia.
that sucks o well off to look up NISMO mech
Old 11-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
that sucks o well off to look up NISMO mech
Dont let the door hit you on the way out. Goose.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
So did you buy a Tickford Falcon when they were new?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone find the timing of this announcement dumb?? What has it achieved & why now? I'll wait until Ford can tell me what the 2014 FH line up will be before I comment on it.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
So did you buy a Tickford Falcon when they were new?
i will never buy a new car, but the 1 owner tickford that I did buy allowed the first owner to buy a new FPV see how that works
Old 11-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is bitter sweet news, Good to see the XR8 name come back. But at the same time sad to see FPV go in 2014.

Is there any news about the GT name plate. Will it continue on after FPV or is it gone as well?

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #18
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Dont let the door hit you on the way out. Goose.
thanks for that , chicken. It not like anyone is going to be wearing fpv mech at the mountain.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #19
honer
Back to N/A land

Quote:
ill never buy a new car so an altima wouldn't interest me, any thing nissan from 89 to current has a model that would destroy most falcons, 180sx, 200sx,silvia, 300zx,r32, r33,r34,r35 gtr,350z,370z probably a nissan duke,probably a sss pulsar. The cars they are racing on race day isn't what makes me fly my flag, its the motorsport heritage and being part of the greater picture Fpvs racing heritage is what 5 years old hah easy come easy go.
Simply put, you're a moron and you really need to stop posting.
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #20
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Quote:
You're obviously on the wrong forum then.

I can't wait to see the XR8 nameplate back. Not too distressed about FPV going, I prefer the Ford badge in the front grill anyway.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #21
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only car i've ever owned was an XR8. Good to had it back in the range but losing the GT nameplate is sad.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #22
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Roberts, may I remind you of the site terms and conditions(which you agreed to upon joining Australian Ford Forums) specifically regarding posts that are inciteful, or trolling in nature.
You love your Nissans, and Nismo, good luck to you. Allow Ford fans to enjoy their Fords here in peace.

Our house - Our rules...
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #23
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

We attended the launch of FPV at Campbellfield what seems like ages ago but which, in reality, was probably only 11 years ago. One of the questions I put to David Flint at that meeting related to how long the brand was likely to last given the rather short life span of it's predecessor - and I mean FTE, not Tickford per se.

It wasn't a popular question but the answer revolved around the life span being determined by market forces so I guess we can now say that those are firmly in play.

As noted, it will be good to have the XR8 back but on the other it will be sad to lose a figure head brand such as FPV which represented the aspirational line in the product range.

I have little doubt that there will be similar performance oriented offerings in the future that will come with a 'made somewhere else' label and perhaps badged with their own image - whether that is SVT, XR or some other identity so that is the other positive at the end of this tunnel.

As a brand, FPV struggled for an identity but the badge adorned some fine cars over the course of a decade and for that we should remain thankful.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #24
kolski

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto71 View Post
Can't wait to see the new XR8.

Presume the wording means no XR8 Ute?
There will be no XR8 UTE
kolski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
We attended the launch of FPV at Campbellfield what seems like ages ago but which, in reality, was probably only 11 years ago. One of the questions I put to David Flint at that meeting related to how long the brand was likely to last given the rather short life span of it's predecessor - and I mean FTE, not Tickford per se.

It wasn't a popular question but the answer revolved around the life span being determined by market forces so I guess we can now say that those are firmly in play.

As noted, it will be good to have the XR8 back but on the other it will be sad to lose a figure head brand such as FPV which represented the aspirational line in the product range.

I have little doubt that there will be similar performance oriented offerings in the future that will come with a 'made somewhere else' label and perhaps badged with their own image - whether that is SVT, XR or some other identity so that is the other positive at the end of this tunnel.

As a brand, FPV struggled for an identity but the badge adorned some fine cars over the course of a decade and for that we should remain thankful.

Cheers
Russ
Agree. Good man David was. Shame there arent many left that have the fortitude to tell it as it is anymore
Old 11-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #26
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could there even be an XR8 R-spec edition called Sprint? Hope so. 335kw with 275 rear rubber? Might even tumble into one i think
Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #27
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I still remember going for a spin in a P build BA GTP picked up from FPV and driven up the hume and tested for a week by my then partners dad.
Feels like only yesterday, hard to beleive FPV has been around that long and will soon be gone. Bitter sweet seeing the GT name gone though, but good to see XR8 back.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
Does anyone find the timing of this announcement dumb?? What has it achieved & why now? I'll wait until Ford can tell me what the 2014 FH line up will be before I comment on it.
If you have your heart set on an FPV you know how long left you've got to get one and that if you are willing to pay top price some sort of end of run model is coming.

If you love the XR8, you'll get one more crack at getting one, so start saving.

I think you can also read into this, no more GS cars to be built, so if you like those, whats out there is what you have to choose from.

FPV sales wise is basically dead in the water right now - this removes at least some of the uncertainty and lets people plan their next purchase accordingly.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #29
ChopReed
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinead Phipps View Post
Hi folks. I thought there was a thread here on this topic earlier but I can't find it now. Moderators, if I'm doubling up, please delete and move this to the other thread. We wanted you to share this news with you first but it looks like others have beaten us to the punch. Regardless, here it is from us so you are aware of the complete picture.

Today, we are announcing that the Falcon XR8 sedan will return to our Falcon line-up in late 2014. We’re excited about the return of the XR8 as we have received a large number of requests to bring it back. However, as some of Ford and Falcon’s most dedicated supporters, we also wanted to inform you directly that this will also mark the retirement of the FPV brand.

Late 2014 will mark the end of a celebrated era, a wonderful history going back 12 years as FPV and of course many years before that in our performance relationship with Tickford. You have been a part of this journey, this history and we thank you for your loyalty and support in making the FPV models and engines celebrated successes.

We will continue to offer service, parts and technical support for FPV vehicles for many years to come.

We understand that this news may not be what some of you have wanted to hear. However, be assured that we have planned a series of actions during 2014 to ensure the final FPV models’ iconic status is appropriately celebrated. We look forward to sharing more details of those plans next year.
Ok long winded i know. I bought a New GT last year. After 8 Times on the HSV honour board I changed from red to blue. Sold the E2 GTS and got the FG MKII Has been a terrific. I have my own views on why they haven't sold. Fords Marketing dept sucks big time. Clueless compared to the opposition. I actually like the Ford product better but when you buy a HSV they ares always in your face. I had the last GTS for about 13 months. They were constantly sending you gifts , invites to things (Driver Days and When the V8s were in town they would have meet the driver bbqs etc. The gifts to were cheap but intentionally there to keep your product on your mind (mouse mats with a picture of your car and your name on them , playing cards on your birthday with your name on them. Probably cost them $60 a year each customer but with stuff constantly thrown at you enhanced there chance of getting you back in another car. Cheap advertising really. What do you get from ford ? Surveys ...
they might as well ring you up for a survey when your eating your dinner.
How many actually reply ?

Anyway back to the point now after all that was announced. They have made a right mess out of it in my eyes anyway. You have annouced theres a mustang coming (previous announcement) No acknoledgement of the Engine Sizes that will be available. Ok its in the future but you must know what you intend on selling. An ecoboost is of no interest nor an 6cyl a V8 Mustang for me pls preferably miami with super charger. Will FPV be back as a brand like Shelby or will you give us a Shelby. If Ford have a world wide plan surley they know what they will be selling for approximately how much. Otherwise it looks like the master plan could look like master disaster.

Your taking FPV away later in the year but bringing out a new model GT and an XR8. Reading the above statement i assume there will be another type of RSpec model as you have stated that you "planned a series of actions during 2014 to ensure the final FPV models’ iconic status is appropriately celebrated."
What i don't get is why your bringing out all these products. You will have a lot of buyers now maybe hanging on for a mustang , xr8 or one of the Last FPV Gt's.

If the GS didn't sell that well how many more people would buy the XR8. Its seems to me you are actually cutting your sales down. Your Xr8 is competing with an SS or Clubby how many are you going to sell. Not a high number at all i would have thought not exactly is the going to grab an enormous market share of the v8s.

Half your customer base will probably wait for more concrete news of the mustang.

These press releases are becoming an absolute joke. Spill the plan coz i can see a lot of people just losing interest.

Marty
ChopReed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #30
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Marty you are asking questions of Ford Aus that nobody else is privy to the answers, namely Mustang engine options and second tier performance branding. Those answers will come when it suits the marketing for Mustang, not Falcon.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post