Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default What have you done to your Focus today?

With all the 'What have you done to your car today' threads around. I thought id post one for us Focus owners.
What have i done lately? not a lot Dont forget your pics too.

- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
ConradP

Default Re: What have you done to your Focus today?

Not today, but I've tried dressing up the front and rear a little in the past week or so..

Firstly yellow tint on the fogs and a tow sticker (to hide the crack someone left there 3 months after i got the car.)

Then I decided I wanted darker lights all around, and have been looking at the flyeye stuff from the UK for ages!

Old 06-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Not to take the wee wee out of myself and this thread, but more so our crappy weather.
My latest mod.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Big effort on the car today. I (with the help of a mate) replaced the front discs and pads, and the rear pads as well. Then we flushed the brake fluid and bled all calipers. The old brake fluid was in bad condition. Should be replaced every 2 years, I think mine had been 4. Replaced it with some fresh Nulon Super Dot 4.

Here's a tip for bleeding: 5mm ID clear hose required front and rear, with a 9mm bleeder nut on the rear and 10mm on the front (I think - possibly the other way around? Haha)
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
casabonka
You can call me Chris

I washed mine yesterday... and removed my rego label as we are no longer required to show them in NSW.

I really lost the modding bug once I bought my bike... nearly sold it but couldnt get enough for her. still enjoy going for a spin after spending all week in my company car holden/daewoo viva...
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
casabonka
You can call me Chris

*sorry double post*
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Was testing out something with the cruise control today, I set cruise control and put the car into some water on the road to get it to aquaplane, when the traction control light kicks in the cruise turns off, which is good.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
LVzetec
Starter Motor

Damo,

"The cruise turns off" That would not be good, that would be great! I've often wondered what might happen in that situation. Would make for an interest couple of seconds in your day
LVzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Replaced the rear pads.... at 60k km. Pretty decent life from factory pads... till you see the fronts!

Comments regarding the pads during my last few services @ Ford:

* 35k service "Rear pads @ 50%, fronts @ 70%"
* 45K service "Rear pads have 2,000km left, suggest immediant replacement"
* 52.5K service "Rear pads have 7,000km left, suggest replacement soon"
* Inspection soon after above service by independant mechanic "What kind of driving do you do? Your answer will tell me what life you have left in the pads"... Great... someone who didn't tell me WW3 will start if I drive out of the place without changing my rear pads. Told me to come back just prior to my 60K service.. which I just did.

So... this is what we found...

Rear pads: Yup, well worn, to be expected of course.

Front pads: Ummm these are factory fitment... they look to have lost 2-3mm (if that) in 3 years! Should I be happy or worried?

I remember there was a thread floating around about how the Focus and some other European cars have a brake bias towards the rear but this is a little much isn't it? Seems the fronts are doing 25% of the stopping.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

Drove to the Servo to fill up the girlies Focus and checked the tyres and clocked over 9111 klms. Bit depressing watching the kays go up and up

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Yellow_Festiva, that was my experience as well. My rears wore out before the fronts. Beats me as to why the Focus was set up like this.
Old 24-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVzetec View Post
Damo,

"The cruise turns off" That would not be good, that would be great! I've often wondered what might happen in that situation. Would make for an interest couple of seconds in your day
I was expected the engine to rev up hard and wheel to spin but it looks like it has the smarts to detect when its slipping.

Which is great.

Anyone here with diesels, particularily manuals, when you change gear, when you release the throttle, it holds it momentarily before it drops down? If you go from off accelerator to clutch quickly, it actually revs up slightly then falls down.

Throttle response on these cars is crap, there is a big delay on it registering what you are doing with the accelerator, and it seems to vary, some days its bad, other days its fine, you can be pressing on the accelerator to bring up revs and go to release clutch, it will go to stall, clutch in, more accelerator, nothing, then it revs up hard if you go anymore.

Sometimes you can go 1/2 throttle and it won't rev up off idle, then it shoots up past 2K+ if you go anymore.

Or try clutch in and stomp on the accelerator quickly and release, it won't even rev.

No codes logged or lights showing on the dash.
Old 24-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
tasdex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Replaced the rear pads.... at 60k km. Pretty decent life from factory pads... till you see the fronts!

Comments regarding the pads during my last few services @ Ford:

* 35k service "Rear pads @ 50%, fronts @ 70%"
* 45K service "Rear pads have 2,000km left, suggest immediant replacement"
* 52.5K service "Rear pads have 7,000km left, suggest replacement soon"
* Inspection soon after above service by independant mechanic "What kind of driving do you do? Your answer will tell me what life you have left in the pads"... Great... someone who didn't tell me WW3 will start if I drive out of the place without changing my rear pads. Told me to come back just prior to my 60K service.. which I just did.

So... this is what we found...

Rear pads: Yup, well worn, to be expected of course.

Front pads: Ummm these are factory fitment... they look to have lost 2-3mm (if that) in 3 years! Should I be happy or worried?

I remember there was a thread floating around about how the Focus and some other European cars have a brake bias towards the rear but this is a little much isn't it? Seems the fronts are doing 25% of the stopping.....

do you like near the beach yellow festiva ???
daang theres some rust on that hub ..
tasdex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdex View Post
do you like near the beach yellow festiva ???
daang theres some rust on that hub ..
Well, I guess I'm a few km from a beach but I think they are a little rusty as the car is hardly ever undercover.

Then again, we I'm at the inlaws every 2nd weekend and they are 300m from the beach.

Never considered it to be honest. When I do my next rotation I may treat and paint em.

Old 25-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
gassed250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got the windows tinted today, looks uber smexy now
Old 25-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
rand0mn00b

Quote:
yeah my rears wore out quicker too but my goodness! those fronts don't look like they've been doing any braking at all?!?!
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b View Post
yeah my rears wore out quicker too but my goodness! those fronts don't look like they've been doing any braking at all?!?!
Which is why I'm a little concerned to be honest. My mechanic point blank didn't believe me that they were still factory pads after 60k.. especially after seeing the factory rears.

Will be taking the car in for its B service next week, will show them the pics and see what they think.

Old 25-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

My mates 06 is the same. The rear wheels are always dirty and the fronts clean. He changed the rear pads 2 weeks ago (just under a quarter left) and the front had very low use. Dodgy

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Which is why I'm a little concerned to be honest. My mechanic point blank didn't believe me that they were still factory pads after 60k.. especially after seeing the factory rears.

Will be taking the car in for its B service next week, will show them the pics and see what they think.
does your car's braking performance seem less than it should? compared to any other similarly sized cars you own/drive?
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b View Post
does your car's braking performance seem less than it should? compared to any other similarly sized cars you own/drive?
Not really, but then again I can't recall ever needing to mash on the brakes in an emergency situation either. I will refer it to the service manager, if they say it is normal than I guess I'll be swapping rear pads 3 times as often as front pads, as weird as that sounds......

Old 29-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Major service today. I did the spark plugs, throttle body clean, air filter washed and re-oiled, new oil and oil filter.

It doesn't feel right though - doing a major service without changing the fuel filter. I hate how the fuel filter on these cars are hidden within the tank, as part of the fuel sender unit.
Old 29-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #22
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should have got a diesel where you can change the fuel filter and enjoy the fuel getting everywhere.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #23
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I gave the car a good clean inside today and decided I'd remove a wheel and try one of the XR5 rims on, holy crap batman there's not a lot of clearance on the inside, I wouldn't be surprised if I have a set of XR5 rims with brand new Nitto Invo's up for sale shortly. I have my doubts they will clear on the inside, there's only about 15mm max clearance from the strut housing with just the bare 18" rim so once the 225 tyre goes on it's gonna be awfully close. I was under the impression that the stock Zetec rims were a 17 x 7" but they're only a 6.5" with an offset of 52.1, compared to the XR5 of 8" and 52.5 offset. Also noticed the OEM front tyres are scrubbing on the inside too, only 35000 k's on the Goodyear Eagle NCT's :(
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #24
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Also noticed the OEM front tyres are scrubbing on the inside too, only 35000 k's on the Goodyear Eagle NCT's :(
I've got a feeling the wear is due to the lowering and I think Ford might have rotated the wheels at the 30,000 k service. Makes sense to put the tyres with the least tread onto the front of a fwd car, that explains why I have had poor grip in the wet lately. The guys that fitted my SL springs said it didn't need a camber kit but i think it does myself :(
Old 29-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
Major service today. I did the spark plugs, throttle body clean, air filter washed and re-oiled, new oil and oil filter.

It doesn't feel right though - doing a major service without changing the fuel filter. I hate how the fuel filter on these cars are hidden within the tank, as part of the fuel sender unit.
Honda went the same direction in the late 90s/2000s, such a bastard to change.

You buy the lower assembly which is the filter, and you change over the fuel pump and reg, change o-rings, connectors at the same time etc.

I hated assisting on that job, especially in DC5 Integra's, you had to be Asian or a 5 foot midget to be able to do it easily.

Quote:
I've got a feeling the wear is due to the lowering and I think Ford might have rotated the wheels at the 30,000 k service. Makes sense to put the tyres with the least tread onto the front of a fwd car, that explains why I have had poor grip in the wet lately. The guys that fitted my SL springs said it didn't need a camber kit but i think it does myself :(
I did a camber kit in the rear with mine when I lowered it, no noticeable inside wear yet and thats about 30,000km on these tyres.

I had a quick look at my rear pads today, looks to be around 50% on the rears with 51,000km on the clock.
Old 29-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Double post
Old 29-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #27
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I did a camber kit in the rear with mine when I lowered it, no noticeable inside wear yet and thats about 30,000km on these tyres.
Thanks Damo, yeah I always thought the rear wheels looked to be splaying a bit more than they should, what kit did you use, the whiteline one ? Found one on eBay for about $140 delivered, any idea what sort of time is needed having them fitted ?
Old 29-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Thanks Damo, yeah I always thought the rear wheels looked to be splaying a bit more than they should, what kit did you use, the whiteline one ? Found one on eBay for about $140 delivered, any idea what sort of time is needed having them fitted ?
I got the whiteline one suggested here, try Tuff Car Parts, a sponsor on here, Justin has excellent customer service and good prices.

I took my Focus into the local mechanic the day before and picked it up close of business the next day, so they had plenty of time to do it, unsure on how long it took them as it was a while ago but single day turn over

Might be worth getting any of your other suspension mods done at the same time if you have any planned.
Old 29-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #29
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I got the whiteline one suggested here, try Tuff Car Parts, a sponsor on here, Justin has excellent customer service and good prices.

I took my Focus into the local mechanic the day before and picked it up close of business the next day, so they had plenty of time to do it, unsure on how long it took them as it was a while ago but single day turn over

Might be worth getting any of your other suspension mods done at the same time if you have any planned.
I don't have anything else suspension wise planned for it, I am hopefully putting the 18" XR5 rims on next week but the camber kit and a decent wheel alignment will have to be a priority for the sake of the new tyres
Old 29-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #30
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
should have got a diesel where you can change the fuel filter and enjoy the fuel getting everywhere.
At least you can change without pulling the fuel tank out!

Quote:
Honda went the same direction in the late 90s/2000s, such a bastard to change.

You buy the lower assembly which is the filter, and you change over the fuel pump and reg, change o-rings, connectors at the same time etc.

I hated assisting on that job, especially in DC5 Integra's, you had to be Asian or a 5 foot midget to be able to do it easily.
Sounds like no fun at all. I think it would be the same with Focus - pull the tank out and replace the whole unit. Sounds expensive, and probably not something that I'd want to tackle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
I don't know if its any different with the King Springs, but when I had Eibach springs on my car, and no camber kit, I had increased inner wear on my tyres. So when I had the Koni kit fitted, I made sure the Whiteline camber kit went on too - not from a handling perspective, but more so just to look after my rear tyres / prolong tyre life.