Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Snelens
tryhard

Default Tradies & Transits

G'day all,

I have a little electrical business in the inner 'burbs of Melbourne. We currently have Toycar townaces, econovans, my FG ute & a vito.
They are all getting long in the tooth, or too small and need upgrading. We do a lot of service work so holding a lot of stock in the vans is handy.
Being a Ford man at heart I like the look of the new Transits, specifically a low roof, SWB version.
Now the confusion that I thought I would share with you guys!
I have thought about the Hiace but am not convinced about the safety (I couldn't bare the thought of one of my guys getting crushed legs) and the value / price equation is not great.
The iloads make me grin as for the price I can get a 2 YO Vito and they are a tad too small for what we do.
I have thought about going down the service body path from Cooks, TSB etc but am not convinced on the size and layouts.
I like the look of the VW's but service costs scare me.
The Vito has been great really but resale is not what I was hoping. Parts prices are OK but at the end of the day they are just a little too small.

So we are back to the Transit. What can the membership share with me?

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Snelens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
JimNiki
71Mach1

I drive one every now and again for work deliveries...tall one ... LWB.
Diesel 5 speed, drives like a truck but feels very strong and solid...
I always shift from 1 to 2 to 4 ...good torque.
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I can't really be much help as I have not researched it but what year transit are you looking at and have they changed much since 2006?

We operate the Ford Transits as patient transfer vehicles and they are rubbish, underpowered, uncomfortable and the semi auto gear box is utter crap to use and have frequent clutch failures. We hate them and the service is no longer getting them, we now get Mercedes Sprinter 315 for the same use. Obviously I have no idea of the costs but the Sprinter is better to use.

Transit is 3 star ANCAP, test is here.

Much better than the Mitsubishi, test is here
Old 25-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like most Euros, just dont own it out of warranty.

The only thing the Hiace excels at is reliablity. Otherwise it has a poor driving position, bad brakes, under tyred, poor performance (diesel has good economy though), no bulkhead, useless centre seat.

However, if my business was relying on the vehicle, id have to ignore all that and go for the reliablity over the other stuff. Hiace also has a good range of accessories, and cheap servicing.
Most Toyotas are overrated, but as the Hiace is built in Japan primarily for that market, its one that deserves that reputation.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

The Hyundai I Load get a very good write up, lots of loyal Hi Ace customers going to Hyundai, I know of 3 people in the last 12 months.
Old 25-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I can't really be much help as I have not researched it but what year transit are you looking at and have they changed much since 2006?

We operate the Ford Transits as patient transfer vehicles and they are rubbish, underpowered, uncomfortable and the semi auto gear box is utter crap to use and have frequent clutch failures. We hate them and the service is no longer getting them, we now get Mercedes Sprinter 315 for the same use. Obviously I have no idea of the costs but the Sprinter is better to use.

Transit is 3 star ANCAP, test is here.

Much better than the Mitsubishi, test is here
Autos may feel underpowered, but the manuals go like stink, and are a bit of a handful in the wet unloaded.
Not sure what the go is with Euros and those silly pretend autos, cant they make a decent proper commercial grade auto with a torque converter?
Turbo diesel autos are generally alot nicer to drive as you are always in the torque curve. In manuals its always easy to slip out of it when changing gears.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT

your bang on there. Ask anyone whos worked for ford before. one word sums it up AVOID
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Autos may feel underpowered, but the manuals go like stink, and are a bit of a handful in the wet unloaded.
Not sure what the go is with Euros and those silly pretend autos, cant they make a decent proper commercial grade auto with a torque converter?
Turbo diesel autos are generally alot nicer to drive as you are always in the torque curve. In manuals its always easy to slip out of it when changing gears.
Sprinter is now a traditional auto and has been for about 4 years now. The last auto transit I drove (2006 model I think) was semi auto (stupid electric clutch) and suck to drive. You put your foot down to take off and then it takes a lengthy time to decide what to do before moving, you need a big gap in traffic to pull out. Added to that with any load the clutches burn out easily on moderate to steep inclines, particularly if reversing.
Old 25-08-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

mntxr seems to work on a lot of them, so he would be a good one to speak to.

But I believe if you steer clear from the auto's in them you should be fine.
Old 25-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Uncle has an 8-year old Vito, never missed a beat, done 150,000kms and no problems, he swears by it.

Not sure about the Transits, the new ones have a good reputation in Europe, they seem to sell in big numbers over there.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #11
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

We have had transits at work .. They checked with telecom guys .. The consensus was that the auto's all seemed to fail...Engine wise or whatever...
We haven't had too many issues considering the drivers don't own them etc..
Can be a little slow to get up on boost in first .. But once you get used to reving a little before letting clutch out your fine..
Nice to drive with all there gear on board..
Much more comfortable than Rodeo, Nissan...
Some have over 160.000 klrs on them...
With the short trips they lowered service intervils to 10,000 klrs unless the driver lives a fare distance away..
Servicing brakes is much cheaper than the ILoad .. There brake pads etc are VERY expensive...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 01:02 AM   #12
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My uncle has had Transits for 30 odd years as ice cream vans back in the UK, his opinion is stay away from the Transit and go for the Mercedes Sprinter as it's far more reliable.

His current van is a Volkswagen Crafter which he also considers to be better than the Transit.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 01:34 AM   #13
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about the Renault vans?
Anyone heard anything about them?
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
blackxrsix

Ive got two sprinters a 2008 and a 2010 they are really good vans never had any dramas they drive like a car,plenty of power service every 30,000kays and heaps of room.My 2008 sprinter is for sale 55,000kays $35,000 plus gst i had a 2006 vito and the roof rusted all the way around they fixed it under warranty but deffinetly go the sprinter.
www.aussiespeed.com
blackxrsix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
290v
290v

We haver about 10 transits at work all manual all seem to be going well had issues with the semi Auto's but since they were traded out of our life all seems well. Oil has to be euro emissions standard in it, changing brake pads about every 50ks as for the Renault one of our operators lost the key's we had to wait 3 weeks for a replacement key from France as they have the only blanks for the keys and supply vin. number as well as proof of purchase of the van all at a cost of $600 dollars
Old 26-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of the big fleets are switching over to Hyundai ILoads, this is after extensive evaluation of putting different vans in the fleet, testing fuel economy, reliability, driver feedback etc.

Also I think they have an optional locking diff, good for muddy worksites.

Next time your at a petrol station and see a courier-driver filling up, ask them about their opinions. Talking to one a couple of years back certainly put me off Transits.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I fit out ambulances at work and we've only got one transit in thats second hand and being used for patient transport duty.

The Mercedes Sprinter is a favorite with everyone.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #18
reds89

we have 2 transits at work,both 6spd manual and haven,t had any drama,s and they are constantly on the go.
reds89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #19
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds89
we have 2 transits at work,both 6spd manual and haven,t had any drama,s and they are constantly on the go.
x2 we have had a new 6sp manual turbo diesel lwb at work for almost a year now and no problems at all.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #20
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Dont touch the semi Auto Transit...EVER! We have just sent one down to Ford ( we dont have the equipment to repair it ) and the bill is a 9k so far. We work on alot of vans and I would stay away from Renaults, purely because of the price of parts. The earlier mercedes vans ( MB140 etc ) were absolute garbage and drove like crap. The newer sprinters drive well. Parts are up there but nowehre near as much as the renaults. Iload is a hynudai, could be good could be bad
Old 27-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #21
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whatever you buy my advice is to go with a diesel and manual cogbox. It's hard to fault a diesel in the reliability stakes, and fuel consumption to boot.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #22
Snelens
tryhard

Thanks fellas.
It looks like we will go one BF LPG tray with a body for car parks access in the cbd and 2x transit.
The feedback on the newer transits fits in with what I have read on the uk forums.
Old 29-08-2010, 03:22 AM   #23
Transit Truck

I have a 3 month old 6 spd cab chassis Transit and its brilliant! Hill start assist is a great feature, I really love having a manual with this, otherwise i wouldn't of bought a manual.
Transit Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #24
lamborghinifan

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ighlight=hiace

check this out for my take on hiaces
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #25
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
MB140
AFAIK the MB140 was built in South Korea – by Ssangyong.
Old 30-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude1011
AFAIK the MB140 was built in South Korea – by Ssangyong.
They're all built in S.Korea. But the recent ones are some of the most reliable.
Old 30-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #27
Snelens
tryhard

I have to weigh up all factors including purchase price. We are lucky to do 35k km per year so driver comfort is not as important as someone doing 100k km. I want the guys to be proud of their vans so am open to the VW etc but it comes back to the dollar return factor. The I load is only the same size as the swb 115cdi Vito we have so not big enough.
I will just have to do the sums!
Old 30-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #28
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just drove one for a week as a motor home in NZ. Was comfortable enough, especially on the days we did 6+ hours of driving. We had one that was semi-auto, and yes, it was crap. In the end, I basically switched it to manual mode and did the gear changes myself. Did get some rather nasty shuddering when traveling at really low speeds in first and reverse. Most likely, it was riding the clutch a bit and getting a good vibration going. I would have preferred a normal manual, but didn't get that choice.
It was gutless. Driving up the slightest of inclines caused the thing to slow down a fair bit, usually with one or two gear changes before it held a speed. Mind you, this was in a 3T motor home, so your experience might be different if you're carrying less than that.
Old 30-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #29
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any "auto" Transit is the old model which had many problems, the current new Transit is manual only and quite good. Come is fwd and rwd. Then again I drive a VW T5 auto, just bought the extended warranty and the only thing I enjoy driving more to our G6ET...nothing out drives the VW for commercial vans. If looking for new an updated Vito is due soon as well. For my staff I'd buy a Transit if they can handle manuals, for myself I'd buy the VW again.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #30
Snelens
tryhard

Thanks Dr Smith. I concur. I am hardly ever doing tool work so am happy in the ute. I am over the flash ute stage (have had 3 x XR's) and now love my pov pack colum shift egas. The boys will be happy in new transits but I will do a $ analysis next week.