Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Default Ford Aus website finally updated! Thoughts on greater promoting to boost sales?

Ford Aus has FINALLY freshened up there web site and i've seen the 50th anniversary ad more than any other make in the last week, added to the full page for the 50th in the paper on monday. Are ford stepping up there advertising?
Is anyone else as sick as i am of ford slipping down the charts, what initiatives, interactive experiences, advertising style, sponsorship etc can ford do to sell more cars. The FG is a remarkable car so....why isn't it selling??

Should ford try things like this to promote vehicles?:

Ford Freezes London & Liverpool - Interactive Projections 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVzIYJSEoR8
Ford Freeze London's Senate House and The Ventilation Building in Liverpool with a multi-sensory interactive experience launching the new S-MAX. Creative agency - Ogilvy & Mather Production & Theming - seeper

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The website is a massive improvement. It is the same as the Ford Vehicles US one. One Ford anyone? Noticed it the other day. Much easier to navigate, much more interactive, it feels nicer and they ditched that buggy Flash software so I can view it on my iPhone/iPad. Definitely a foot in the right direction.

I have noticed that there are a few Ford ads still on TV, saw a G Series LE one last night on Channel 9? Seeing a few 50th Falcon ones, and plenty of the 'Upgrade' Ford ones, promoting the Escape in particular. It's all well and good to have these ads, but I still strongly believe Ford ads lack passion (50th Falcon ad and a few others apart). The website is following the US Ford website style, so perhaps we'll get a similar advertising overhaul?

I remember seeing the 'Feel The Difference' on the Ford Australia site too, another Ford US follow through.
Old 14-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh, you can really tell the website is aimed a lot more at the younger generation, but it also keeps things simple.

Personally i liked the old architecture, but thats just because i want all that stats and specs and old school styling. I think this design reaches out to all internet user's and that is what is important.

Most importantly it comes up in google search first for aussies, which it didnt for a few months prior, also a plus.

Lets hope it boosts those sales.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Personally I think the website is the least of Ford's problems. Get rid of the stupid 'Ford of course' TV ads and I think things may start to improve. Look at the new Commodore ads, the Hyundai ones, the Mazda 3 ads - they all have touchy emotive phraseology, background music and heavily emphasise the interior features and tech of the car, instead of just passing references to them.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Lack of product and slow supply are really hurting Ford's sales, the people being turned away
are cross shopping with Mazda, Toyota and Hyundai who are eating Ford's lunch.
Ford are aware of this but there is little they can do until Thailand really comes on steam.

On a positive note, aggressive pricing on Escape at $27,990 drive away saw sales spike over 800,
perhaps Ford should use the Figo to compete with Getz and reconnect with entry level buyers.

I remember reading that Ford was limiting XR6 50th Anniversary to 1500 cars, can anyone confirm this?

If so, I'd say that nearly all of them must be sold by now....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

I think it's a step in the right direction for many of the reasons above, let's just hope The FPV site is in line for a similar update. HSV's site puts them to shame currently.

It'd be a shame if the new range is let down by doggy photos and poor presentation. ($40m on product, 2c on promotion).
Old 14-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

A change in a website won't sell the cars but it is a good marketing tool.

Ford need to look at a whole range of issues of why cars are not selling.
Once Thailand is up and running for the OZ market, the smaller cars should pick up in sales, though the Focus is a looking a little dated now.

Falcon/Territory? That's a whole new topic(s).

Main issue is the dealer network. Many are run by morons who really give Ford a bad image. There are too many people I have spoken to who have had such a bad experience with the dealer network at Ford that they will never go back.
Don't even bother with the after sales "service."
Old 14-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep i do like the new website, i noticed it this morning It won't directly increase sales but it will do alot more in the marketing side of things as previously said. It will also allow dealers to point their customers straight to it for more information(links to etc)
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
perhaps Ford should use the Figo to compete with Getz and reconnect with entry level buyers.
How about the Start? Is Australialand getting this?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They need to get people behind the wheel for a test drive. It's the only way. So demo days, test drive incentives. Whatever. The advertising should be about getting people down for those drives.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched

Once Thailand is up and running for the OZ market, the smaller cars should pick up in sales, though the Focus is a looking a little dated now.

Main issue is the dealer network. Many are run by morons who really give Ford a bad image. There are too many people I have spoken to who have had such a bad experience with the dealer network at Ford that they will never go back.
I agree, good customer service is the easiest way to improve sales. They have a long way to in this area.
Thailand will level the playing field.
Old 14-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #12
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
They need to get people behind the wheel for a test drive. It's the only way. So demo days, test drive incentives. Whatever. The advertising should be about getting people down for those drives.
was thinking about this today, its been said before but if ford was to advertise 'driven the competition? give us ago before you buy' would that have any affect on getting people in for test drives? it shows they have faith in there products, but then theres the dealer network

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i agree, there are a lot of gripe stories on here, so imagine how many we never hear about?
Old 15-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxckevo
was thinking about this today, its been said before but if ford was to advertise 'driven the competition? give us ago before you buy' would that have any affect on getting people in for test drives? it shows they have faith in there products, but then theres the dealer network
Ford in the US just did a campaign of allowing people to drive the new EcoBoost F150 and tow with it, as well as drag race comparing with the competition. I think that's the sort of thing you have to do now, TV commercials don't make you fall in love with something anymore.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
SVR73
Mr Polish

Quote:

Your spot on about dealers. many are a bunch of ****wits who dont give a rats fat **** about many things including vehicle presentation. All their focus is on making money and big profit margins
many dealerships are messy and dont present the right image
Having their vehicles (especially the used ones) in sparkling flawless condition would sure help to some degree to sell more cars

Though I disagree about FG. I cant stand todays cars, the body shapes are awful and interior materials are worse than what the AU and E series falcons had
Old 17-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #16
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

I can't remember a time when Ford had a really great publicity thing going. Holden on the other hand, seems to be on a perpetual roll. Toyota are always in the press.

Ford's ads are boring and sleep inducing. The 50th Anniversary models should be walking out the door. If it wasn't for these forums, I don't think I'd know they existed.
Old 17-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #17
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
The website is a massive improvement. It is the same as the Ford Vehicles US one. One Ford anyone? Noticed it the other day. Much easier to navigate, much more interactive, it feels nicer and they ditched that buggy Flash software so I can view it on my iPhone/iPad. Definitely a foot in the right direction.
I know this is WAAAY off topic.... but that quote made me laugh. Buggy flash software? Adobe Flash is by far THE standard for displaying video and animination on the internet & it has been in this position for years.... it is far from "Buggy". One of the most sucsessfull sites on the internet, YouTube, relies on flash at it's very core.

The reason it doesn't work on the iPhone/iPad is because Apple made the decision, on purpose, not to include it.... with the only real reason given that they believe that flash causes the battery on mobile devices to drain quicker & that they believe that HTML5 (Native video within HTML code) will replace flash "soon" (they've been saying that for a few years now).

I suggest you go pick yourself up a proper mobile device (can anyone say Android?) and you will find out just how wrong apple is about flash on mobile devices.

[/end rant] ;-)
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Or the new KA, thats quite nice.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

this is also a little off topic, but i've been to 2 local dealers here in s.a. (wayne phillis reynella and wayne phillis christies) and both are awesome to deal with. i've also been to q ford? at browns plains in qld and they were also good to deal with. i will also add, that i have had the occasional problem not fixed, and even critical bolts not done up on a suspension component, but after going back and discussing it, all issues were rectified immediately with many apologies.

not always, but often i believe dealers will treat you how you treat them. if you go in making demands and throwing your weight around, you will never receive good service. i've built up a good repore(sp?) with my local and their prices are now pretty good, and i'm happy to use them.

the thing with the internet is, no one ever reports on good service so it always seems like all the dealers are the same as you only ever see bad reports. this is far from the case.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
How about the Start? Is Australialand getting this?
Hi Road Warrior,
Start was a concept vehicle showcasing small efficient design and Ecoboost engines.
What Ford Australia is doing is developing a KA(Fiat 500) sized vehicle on the Fiesta platform and
when that's done, Ford has the opportunity to offer it outside Asia and have it built at Fiesta plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Or the new KA, thats quite nice.
Good thought Damo,
KA is joint venture with Fiat on 500 platform, I think Ford are wanting their own design on Fiesta
to catch a lot of the Chinese and Indian markets, older Fiesta platform with updates will do nicely.
looking more like FoA making themselves in to Fiesta re-birthing experts, I wonder if we can
get hold of Fiesta Ute and rejig as a (half chassis) 1 tonner with Ecoboost I-4 and Diesel engines,
that would shake up the region especially if fitted with All wheel drive from Ecosport SUV.

Last edited by jpd80; 17-10-2010 at 01:00 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #21
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/barina-spark
New Holden Spark ad..What the Fiesta add should be like ! oh ! what Fiesta ad ???
New Model October 11, not seen any ads yet !!!!!
Old 17-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #22
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911
Adobe Flash is by far THE standard for displaying video and animination on the internet & it has been in this position for years.... it is far from "Buggy". One of the most sucsessfull sites on the internet, YouTube, relies on flash at it's very core.
For what it's (I use it's because it is) worth it was a joke, especially as I use Adobe software on a daily basis, specifically InDesign and Publisher. All Ford webpages will soon be Flash free by the looks, not sure on launch model sites that usually get a Flash rich website of their own. Also, YouTube now use HTML5 for their mobile site. My comment, blunt as it may have been, was more a reflection of the slow tide of sites moving away from Flash, Ford being one of them. I'll leave my personal comments on Flash off this thread.

I'd happily discuss my thoughts over PM though?
Old 17-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #23
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish Ford would mention into the Falcon/Terri ads that they are powered by Australia's only designed and built engine. People seem to think they are American and it may well part of the deciding factor for peep's when making a purchase. I can imagine many saying, well they are both good cars, but we might as well get the Commo because it's Australian unlike the yankee Ford. It might help a bit.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #24
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/barina-spark
New Holden Spark ad..What the Fiesta add should be like ! oh ! what Fiesta ad ???
New Model October 11, not seen any ads yet !!!!!
The ad may annoy me, but for its target audience, it's an open invitation to buy isn't it? Everything a girl looks for in a car, all shown in the ad, made with a little wit and shows the colours and features off well. Add the generic Holden jingle, cheap pricing at the end and I think Holden/Daewoo is onto another winner, as mundane and boring as the car may well be, I think we have another Cruze success story upon us.

The Fiesta advert was made somewhat a-sexual as there is a large share of males who buy Fiestas (I'm on my second one). As awesome as the ad was for me, it didn't sell the features of the car, but they did have a version that mentioned all the aspects of the car, can't dig it up, but for anyone interested here are the Fiesta ads from around the world.

Australia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zu9m_URm8A

Europe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGWvR4foYhg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87nDEUscky8&NR=1

US
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-tqggM4q7A

I think the US did it best in terms of selling the cars features. My heart loves the original Euro advert, although it wouldn't do much for the general public.