Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-08-2015, 03:09 AM   #1
caliber

Default Buying a used car interstate

I'm looking at buying an xr6t, in particular a 50th ann version. I've come to realize that they are rare as hens teeth, and there are only 5 examples currently for sale on carsales. This means that the chances of finding one in my state won't be easy. With that being said, I'm wondering who/what kind of price I should be looking at in regards to a mechanical inspection before I travel 700km to buy a car. Would a mobile mechanic be the way to go or (not preferably) do I ask the owner to take the car to a workshop?

The fresh new xr50 turbo manual.
[url]http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=5633682#post5633682
caliber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2015, 12:50 AM   #2
Dash6

Default Re: Buying a used car interstate

I purchased a ute from sydney in 06, living in perth i was unable to inspect the ute so i had the NMRA go and retrieve the ute from the caryard and conduct the inspection. The caryard was reluctant but the sale was dependant on the report findings and repairs if required. When i sold the ute 4 years later, the new buyer had the ute inspected by a mobile mechanic. In your scenario, the mobile mechanic would be the better option so the car can be inspected wherever the car is and not put the seller out.
Manual #207.
2011 SZ Titanium TDCI

SOLD - 2006 BF 1 GT-P in Mercury Silver
Manual
Dash6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2015, 01:04 AM   #3
caliber

Sweet thanks, I assumed that'd be the better way. Thanks for your help, I'll look into mobile mechanics.

The fresh new xr50 turbo manual.
[url]http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=5633682#post5633682
caliber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #4
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends who you're buying it off.
Dealers will usually arrange an inspection for you, assuming you're willing to pay. In WA some dealers already have cars "certified" (and inspected) by the RAC, maybe other states have similar deals?

Thing is you want to have chosen the car, negotiated, and done the deal first, but make certain it is subject to the inspection. That way you don't waste money on inspections for cars you never pursue
Old 07-09-2015, 12:17 AM   #5
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I located a fellow forum member local to a car i bought to have a look for me. He was also familiar with the type of vehicle and mechanically minded though.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2015, 01:07 AM   #6
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
After purchase, are you planning to have the car sent by a transport company? Or were you planning to travel there to drive it home?

Not sure what area you live in, and the availability of cars in your local area.
Personally I wouldn't travel far for something as common as a Falcon XR6T, and I wouldn't buy one interstate.

If you give it some time you will find a car locally. Not every car for sale are on the Carsales website. (also Newspaper ads, Gumtree, Manheim / Pickles auctions, local dealers etc.)

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2015, 05:17 AM   #7
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pickles have one currently, a blue manual, coming up for auction
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post