Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Changes you want to see in the automotive industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I agree with ****ing off 91 and then looking at ultra low sulfur fuels in 95/98.

Further we should increase availability of E85 and flexfuel capable vehicles and look at a retrofit program for existing vehicles.

It supports local farmers, reduces some of our reliance on foreign oil and it's a low hanging fruit goal towards reducing C02 emissions.

Removal of 91, ultra low sulfur 95/98 can be done with a change of Australian standards.

As far as ADRs go, what do we need that European, Japanese, South Korean and American design regulations don't have?

Gone with the ADRs, if car manufacturers want to offer cars in our market without various safety features then let the market decide.

I don't want **** like AEB and lane guidance crap, I'll use my own brakes and keep my car in its lane by itself thanks.
E85 is an environmental con from what I know. Producing it generates more pollution than it saves.

I think our ADR's have things that may be included in either Euro, US or Jap standards, but probably not all 3 at the same time.

There are specific things like headlights etc that has something to do with the crown in our roads?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
E85 is an environmental con from what I know. Producing it generates more pollution than it saves.

I think our ADR's have things that may be included in either Euro, US or Jap standards, but probably not all 3 at the same time.

There are specific things like headlights etc that has something to do with the crown in our roads?
Long term yeah E85 sucks looking at the whole picture but as far as an absolute easy win as an interim stop gap to reduce C02 emissions it's easy to implement and will return lower C02 emissions.

It can be used as a stop gap measure in the transition away from petroleum based fuels before we go full EV, it's an easy tick in the box you can use to brag about doing something.

Our headlight output appears to look like the European ECE standard

The US DOT one is different, at the end of the day this is one of

Check out the beam pattern on US DOT and ECE HID setups

This shows specifically LHD variation of the ECE beam pattern.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #33
hayseed

Quote:
We still need to keep some adr's which are specific to our needs. Probably not many of them though.
Aren't our Blinker/Indicator Flasher Speeds unique to Australia..??
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #34
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

As far as ADRs go, what do we need that European, Japanese, South Korean and American design regulations don't have?
Uh, there is quite a lot of specific ADR's related to only Australian trucks.
FUPS, rear underun protection, air systems (non US/EU type) trailer hitches, road train regs, axle ratings, spotlights, bullbars, rear overhang, clearance lights, body building regs, body fitting regs, tyre wheel overlap, flap height, sleeper regs, exhaust stacks and that's just trucks.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I dunno. Only thing I do know is there are some specific to our country for various reasons. Probably only a handful though.
Old 24-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #36
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
That may be the case but all blinker speeds are different between models.

If you concentrate on the blinkers of 2 cars you will see they are out of whack, then they will align for a short time then go out of whack again.

The ADR is probably a speed range of flashes per minute.

Look at the newest trend of blinkers rolling across the fitting. That must still somehow fit into ADR's and I'm sure that same rolling indicator flash is used in other countries.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #37
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
That may be the case but all blinker speeds are different between models.

If you concentrate on the blinkers of 2 cars you will see they are out of whack, then they will align for a short time then go out of whack again.

The ADR is probably a speed range of flashes per minute.

Look at the newest trend of blinkers rolling across the fitting. That must still somehow fit into ADR's and I'm sure that same rolling indicator flash is used in other countries.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Fitting aftermarket LED tail lights are a good example usually requiring at least one ballast resistor to slow the speed.

Old 24-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Uh, there is quite a lot of specific ADR's related to only Australian trucks.
FUPS, rear underun protection, air systems (non US/EU type) trailer hitches, road train regs, axle ratings, spotlights, bullbars, rear overhang, clearance lights, body building regs, body fitting regs, tyre wheel overlap, flap height, sleeper regs, exhaust stacks and that's just trucks.
Why? What's so unique for our trucks compared to American and European trucks?

Needless red tape, doubling up on bull**** l, it doesn't need to be unique for Australia and that goes for cars, trucks, spaceships or unicorns.
Old 24-11-2020, 03:53 PM   #39
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Why? What's so unique for our trucks compared to American and European trucks?

Needless red tape, doubling up on bull**** l, it doesn't need to be unique for Australia and that goes for cars, trucks, spaceships or unicorns.
Franco, maybe read first what I stated which is different but heres a couple to be going on with, load rating are different to US, trailer are nothing like the US, we use bullbars like CA, US usually only pull singles. They don't require front and rear under run protection. The sleeper regs are totally different, the overhangs are different, the wheel covering aren't required there. etc etc etc

PS I didn't make the rules.

Old 24-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Franco, maybe read first what I stated which is different but heres a couple to be going on with, load rating are different to US, trailer are nothing like the US, we use bullbars like CA, US usually only pull singles. They don't require front and rear under run protection. The sleeper regs are totally different, the overhangs are different, the wheel covering aren't required there. etc etc etc

PS I didn't make the rules.
That's exactly what I mean, so why are we so unique? Why don't we just adopt what works for the USA and Europe?

Why does Australia need specific requirements around sleepers, clearance lights, overhangs, wheel covers, indicator flash rates?

Absolute nonsense, if it works for a country with circa 350M people and a region with a further 400M people, it'll work for Australia with our 25M people without needing indicators to flash at X rates or the wheel covers needing X width.
Old 24-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #41
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
That's exactly what I mean, so why are we so unique? Why don't we just adopt what works for the USA and Europe?

Why does Australia need specific requirements around sleepers, clearance lights, overhangs, wheel covers, indicator flash rates?

Absolute nonsense, if it works for a country with circa 350M people and a region with a further 400M people, it'll work for Australia with our 25M people without needing indicators to flash at X rates or the wheel covers needing X width.
Because we have length laws based on our highways which, guess what aren't like the Interstate system the US has., sleepers are smaller based on that. US trucks mainly run on Interstates so I guess the wheel covering aren't that neccesary by comparison.
Our back roads with crap edges like to chuck rocks up at cars hence full guards (fenders, Yanks)

Maybe you are asking the wrong people (on a forum) get up to Canberra and do something about it.

Old 24-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #42
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
They do.............sort've. Those red and yellow 'arrows' signs on trailers came from a European fact finding* tour by some of our Pollies.

Another group of pollies on a fact finding* tour to Europe and America and noticed that Europe had lower speed limits and heavier axle weights compared to OZ.

While America had faster speed limits and lower axle weights.

We pretty much finished up with Europe's speed and America's axle weights.

(* also incorporating pollies family holiday's)
Old 24-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #43
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
They do.............sort've. Those red and yellow 'arrows' signs on trailers came from a European fact finding* tour by some of our Pollies.

Another group of pollies on a fact finding* tour to Europe and America and noticed that Europe had lower speed limits and heavier axle weights compared to OZ.

At least its red and yellow and not red and white US conspicousity (spelling ?) tape they use.

Old 24-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Excellent so proving my point that we don't need ADRs and we can adopt international regulations.

ADR - unnecessary red tape, accept DOT/ECE.
Old 24-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #45
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Excellent so proving my point that we don't need ADRs and we can adopt international regulations.

You forgot CARB, The yanks can't even agree from state to state at least here its a National law.

Old 24-11-2020, 05:15 PM   #46
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

Seeing as we no longer manufacture cars here why do we still have ANCAP? Why not accept the US or Euro NCAP, do we crash differently to the rest of the world?.
Old 24-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #47
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
do we crash differently to the rest of the world?.
More spectacularly.

2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #48
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i reckon the blinkers on some modern cars are a bit in effective, mainly the ones that hide in the head light assembly, when an xd,xe blinker was going it was very easy to see.

i think road bike users pay to much rego, mainly the larger capacity bikes.

i,m not allowed to put a momo steering wheel on my landcruiser, i,m not allow something sticking through the bonnet, i,m shore there's a lot of stupid , stupid rules that the adr have enforced, change them.

make importing a car easier, and kick the cowboys out of the industry.

in the year my friends car had catastrophic front end steering failure, we believe that the rego check should have picked up the fault. since that time i've observed that there is very little care and incomplete rego checks have been done. maybe its just my area, i don,t know, but i've been told by other people that they rely on the "safety rego checks" as a proper safety check and clearly this is not the case. how about fixing this up so people can have faith in the check, if it takes more time, up the cost of the check?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #49
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i reckon the blinkers on some modern cars are a bit in effective, mainly the ones that hide in the head light assembly, when an xd,xe blinker was going it was very easy to see.
The wattage on these indicators needs to be much higher. In direct sunlight you can only just make out if a blinker is flicking from within the headlight.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #50
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
I was going to say the same thing. There are many cars out there, especially VWs & other Euros where the front blinker in sunlight is totally invisible. They are often hidden within the headlight assembly. Very dangerous on Sydney round-a-bouts.

Most Aussies cars like XD/XE (as mentioned) & virtually all Commodores are much better.

As far as blinker rate is concerned, the NSW ruling is between 60 & 120 flashes per minute. Blinkers which flash too quickly, e.g. when LED globes are fitted, is common fail for an annual rego inspection.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Seeing as we no longer manufacture cars here why do we still have ANCAP? Why not accept the US or Euro NCAP, do we crash differently to the rest of the world?.
Agree - **** off ANCAP and other various BS thats duplicated here.

ANCAP is fake news anyway with its ever shifting goal posts.
Old 25-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #52
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Agree - **** off ANCAP and other various BS thats duplicated here.

ANCAP is fake news anyway with its ever shifting goal posts.
I’d be happy to see it go. Especially after the hatchet job they did on the Mustang, which is 5 stars in the us but 2 or 3 here because of the rear seats which are basically unusable. And it was the only 2+2 they tested, cause stuff like 911’s are too expensive to test. So they get away with not being tested.

Plus they could just use their overseas ratings, so it’s a complete waste of taxpayers money testing cars which have already been tested overseas. It serves no purpose at all.

I’d also gut the TAC’s road safety area. All they do is claim they have reduced the road toll, when in reality it is the manufacturers making safer cars.
Old 25-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #53
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And it was the only 2+2 they tested, cause stuff like 911’s are too expensive to test. So they get away with not being tested.
LOL whut????
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #54
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
I was going to say the same thing. There are many cars out there, especially VWs & other Euros where the front blinker in sunlight is totally invisible. They are often hidden within the headlight assembly. Very dangerous on Sydney round-a-bouts.

Most Aussies cars like XD/XE (as mentioned) & virtually all Commodores are much better.

As far as blinker rate is concerned, the NSW ruling is between 60 & 120 flashes per minute. Blinkers which flash too quickly, e.g. when LED globes are fitted, is common fail for an annual rego inspection.

Dr Terry
Thought I saw a car the other day where the headlight turned off when the same side indicator was flashing.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2020, 03:29 PM   #55
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I’d be happy to see it go. Especially after the hatchet job they did on the Mustang, which is 5 stars in the us but 2 or 3 here because of the rear seats which are basically unusable. And it was the only 2+2 they tested, cause stuff like 911’s are too expensive to test. So they get away with not being tested.

Plus they could just use their overseas ratings, so it’s a complete waste of taxpayers money testing cars which have already been tested overseas. It serves no purpose at all.

I’d also gut the TAC’s road safety area. All they do is claim they have reduced the road toll, when in reality it is the manufacturers making safer cars.
Wouldn’t matter how much the Porsche was worth,the manufacturers supply the car to be tested,the testing mob don’t buy them
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #56
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Thought I saw a car the other day where the headlight turned off when the same side indicator was flashing.
That would have been day time running lights that turned off while the indicator was flashing. Saw it on a Jeep the other day myself.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #57
PhilT2

Quote:
You'd be happy to accept any rating the Chinese govt gave any cars manufactured there?
PhilT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #58
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I would just like window tint rules/percentage to be consistent within all of Australia.
Old 25-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #59
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
You'd be happy to accept any rating the Chinese govt gave any cars manufactured there?
I think Boss was referring to the Euro and US ratings.

Do the Chinese actually do testing?
Old 25-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #60
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100
Wouldn’t matter how much the Porsche was worth,the manufacturers supply the car to be tested,the testing mob don’t buy them
In some cases they buy the cars themselves. If i remember correctly they purchased the mustang. Ford didn’t give them a Mustang cause they never tested 2+2 sports cars before. Or since. Just singled Ford out while allowing all the others to go untested. Was a complete beat up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2
Im not even aware of a chinese crash rating system. I’m talking us and euro ratings.

If i had my wish i wouldn’t even allow a single chinese ****box to be sold here. What’s right for the goose, should be right for the gander, and we should ban some of their imports like they have ours. Stuff them.
4 users like this post: