Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #61
PhilT2

Default Re: Changes you want to see in the automotive industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
If i had my wish i wouldn’t even allow a single chinese ****box to be sold here. What’s right for the goose, should be right for the gander, and we should ban some of their imports like they have ours. Stuff them.
We started the trade war, we banned Huawei because of pressure from the US. Now we are wearing the consequences. The Chinese will take over a large section of the auto market as they gradually solve their quality control issues.
PhilT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #62
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcodezd View Post
That would have been day time running lights that turned off while the indicator was flashing. Saw it on a Jeep the other day myself.
That's actually a design requirement where the DRL is housed in the same fitting as the indicator.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #63
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
We started the trade war, we banned Huawei because of pressure from the US. Now we are wearing the consequences. The Chinese will take over a large section of the auto market as they gradually solve their quality control issues.
i couldn't disagree more, china clearly is the aggressor here,
and, i'll never buy a chinese **** box
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #64
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
We didn't start a trade war at all.

China are proven to insert spy tech inside communications. And Huawei has links to the CCP. It was completely justified.

China always trying to spy and meddle in other countries politics to further their global domination intentions.

They need to be checked.

The amount of people who are happy to see China bully us into submission stagers me. Have people really become so spineless and soft these days?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #65
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Have people really become so spineless and soft these days?
that really disappoints me too.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2020, 12:20 PM   #66
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Would like to see better (fed/state) regulation on towing requirements after seeing this one happen in front of me this morning on the Hume but I guess thats licencing.

He goes ripping past me (I'm doing 105kmh) hits the side draft off a convoy of trucks further ahead, then starts to wag the tail. Caravan glances the outside safety barrier, comes careening back across the road hitting the armco on the left narrowly missing the second semi as the caravan decides to lay down sliding 200mtrs down the middle of the lanes.

He's Ok and a very lucky boy no one else hit it, both Disco and van are write offs.
Pity I don't own a dashcam.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Would like to see better (fed/state) regulation on towing requirements after seeing this one happen in front of me this morning on the Hume but I guess thats licencing.

He goes ripping past me (I'm doing 105kmh) hits the side draft off a convoy of trucks further ahead, then starts to wag the tail. Caravan glances the outside safety barrier, comes careening back across the road hitting the armco on the left narrowly missing the second semi as the caravan decides to lay down sliding 200mtrs down the middle of the lanes.

He's Ok and a very lucky boy no one else hit it, both Disco and van are write offs.
I'm in two minds, I'm sort of like we need less red tape and regulations but on the other hand I'm not sure it's a good idea that I can spend 40 years driving my Focus, then buy a Thailand Special and Chuck a 3500kg van on the back of it and head off into the sunset without any licence/testing/certification requirements.

Or even inspection on the van and tow car - our 6x4 is a 40 year old home made job gifted to us by a family friend over 20 years ago and we've literally never done maintenance on it except replace both tyres after they both literally blew on the highway from being rotten, it's constantly overloaded and being pulled by my Focus.

I figure it's due for bearings at least
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #68
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yep me too on some form of upgrade licencing at least.
Interesting conversations on the CB going on between all the truckie after it happened all saying the same thing.

This one didn't look overloaded but from what I saw after it started to sway was the LHS caravan tyre blew. Very warm morning here, speed (not illegal) and probably a van which doesn't get much use.

Old 26-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #69
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Slightly off topic but automotive related...........

Who thought the steel cable 'safety barrier' was a good idea on every hwy and so close to the road?

If you breakdown you have to park horribly close to the traffic, if you're in a Truck you'd almost be on the fog line!

(Sorry Franco, carry on)
Old 26-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #70
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post

Who thought the steel cable 'safety barrier' was a good idea on every hwy and so close to the road?

If you breakdown you have to park horribly close to the traffic, if you're in a Truck you'd almost be on the fog line!

(Sorry Franco, carry on)
Dumbest idea in the world, no where to run off the road safely, must be some pollie somewhere etting a kickback from the program I reckon.
Note the 4x4 the other day in Qld that "tripped" over one and when into the lake.
Motorcyclist I heard were campaining against them a while ago.

2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #71
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

(Sorry Franco, carry on)
They've just done this 'safety upgrade' out my way, absolutely ridiculous.

Plus I imagine stacking your motorbike and sliding into the wires at circa 100km/h isn't conducive to the average life expectancy.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #72
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep me too on some form of upgrade licencing at least.
Interesting conversations on the CB going on between all the truckie after it happened all saying the same thing.

This one didn't look overloaded but from what I saw after it started to sway was the LHS caravan tyre blew. Very warm morning here, speed (not illegal) and probably a van which doesn't get much use.
If you were on 105 and the Disco and van passed you,their speed may not have been illegal.but in my old age opinion,it probably wasn’t all that smart.People seem to forget just how much wind their big wind socks have at highway speeds.Maybe the tyre blew(which is a very rare occurrence with tubeless tyre) or got ripped off the bead with all the fun and games,one may never know,although that will deemed the cause,rather than bad driving.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #73
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
If you were on 105 and the Disco and van passed you,their speed may not have been illegal.but in my old age opinion,it probably wasn’t all that smart.People seem to forget just how much wind their big wind socks have at highway speeds.Maybe the tyre blew(which is a very rare occurrence with tubeless tyre) or got ripped off the bead with all the fun and games,one may never know,although that will deemed the cause,rather than bad driving.
Yeah, that was my point, even though its not illegal to travel at those speeds judging the conditions is more important, it is very warm here this morning, I would aye on the side of caution about pulling a caravan at freeway speeds. Tyres get bloody hot at those speeds under any load.
I reckon it blew being ripped sideways off the rim. I note there was inner tube liner on the road as well.

Old 26-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #74
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They've just done this 'safety upgrade' out my way, absolutely ridiculous.

Plus I imagine stacking your motorbike and sliding into the wires at circa 100km/h isn't conducive to the average life expectancy.
I've read at least 6 deaths in Victoria occuring directly from these "Safety Barriers" All similar circumstances to the below case.
There was a mother killed recently when the car clipped it, made the SUV turn onto it rolling several times along the posts.

Old 26-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #75
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Spot on about judging the conditions.

I’m a believer in “driving to the conditions” - weather, road, vehicle, operator are all a part of the conditions.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #76
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Spot on. I’m a believer in “driving to the conditions” - weather, road, vehicle, operator are all a part of the conditions.
Problem is in this day of climate controlled moving lounge rooms, most aren't aware to any road conditions.

I see people leave motels on super hot days, just get in the car and drive off. No one checks the oil, water, belts or even looks at the tyres before getting out onto the highways.

Old 26-11-2020, 01:45 PM   #77
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i couldn't disagree more, china clearly is the aggressor here,

and, i'll never buy a chinese **** box
China is absolutely the aggressor here. No doubt about that.

But we need them more than they need us.

They stop buying from us we are in a world of hurt. I just heard on the radio that they are holding off accepting $700m of our coal.

Nothing to do with being spineless. We (the worlds consumers) have allowed them to become so powerful they can dictate the terms we sell our stuff to them.

They are 1/5 of the world. Along with their finances, buying power and strategic integration into almost every corner of the globe as well as their political influence plus their "win at any cost" mentality we have no chance.

And we are all to blame.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #78
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Along with their finances, buying power and strategic integration into almost every corner of the globe as well as their political influence plus their "win at any cost" mentality we have no chance.
On the contrary, we do have a choice: continue bowing down to China's every whim, or stop being so dependent on trading with China and find other, more ethical trade partners. Yes, we may take a short term hit, but if the entire western world is on board with significantly reducing trade with China, then China's power will wane.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #79
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I agree, I hate over-regulation but towing with no experience or understanding especially out on highways with semi's and b-doubles causing a vortex just like aircraft is a recipe for disaster.

I would consider myself an experienced driver of towing trailers including heavy liquid loads in a twin axle 8'x5' however I once made the mistake of not running a safety check over a hire trailer I used to take an old Nissan Urvan to the wreckers. Turned out the trailer had a flat rear left wheel, it was actually missing the valve so possibly flat before I took it, I jack knifed avoiding a school kid that wanted to catch the bus on the other side of the road. Funny thing is I tied the old van so well it never moved even after it spun around and dragged me backwards for 15 metres.

Needless to say, I check all lights, tyres and load restraints every time I tow. And I don't run trailer tyres to bald, it's a false economy which your insurance company checks out should a claim ever be needed.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2020, 03:33 PM   #80
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Getting back to some ADR's, I see a few crap US school bus conversions on youtube and often wonder why they are allowed to do all their own 110v using single solid core wiring !! electrical work themselves. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.
I find some ADR's neccessary in this field.
Everything ADR bus conversion related here is governed by trades coming in to do the final checks and finishing work.
For instance one of the MH's I did was AC powered where I was allowed to fit the flex cable 240v wiring and fit my own double throw power points but wasn't allowed to physically wire it all together.
My work had to be sighted by the electrician (for good reason I'm no sparky) before he could apply for a connection application to go ahead and stated because it was moveable Sydney Electricity would come and inspect it (which they did)
The gas requirements were similar in I was allowed to install the piping and appliances but needed a qualified gas fitter to sight what I had done to check off the ADR compliance.
I like to think of myself as a competent person but some of this stuff I keep seeing on youtube is frightening.
More amazing is in the US is if you re-clasify a prime mover semi as an RV simply installing an frig and sink into the sleeper) anyone can drive it without anything more than a car licence which is insane.

Old 26-11-2020, 04:57 PM   #81
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Was the same with ambulances, I ran the 240V cabling which was this big *** round orange insulated cable inside 30mm corrugated white non split conduit and a 240V sparky did the termination and sign off paperwork.

I can put the inverter in and it's earth wire to the chassis of the car but the moment there was a power point on the wall then the 240V sparky had to connect it and then provide paperwork.

Meanwhile no dramas with furniture inside the ambulance secured to the vehicle with a bolt, washer and nyloc nut to the underside of the car
Old 26-11-2020, 05:04 PM   #82
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Was the same with ambulances, I ran the 240V cabling which was this big *** round orange insulated cable inside 30mm corrugated white non split conduit and a 240V sparky did the termination and sign off paperwork.

I can put the inverter in and it's earth wire to the chassis of the car but the moment there was a power point on the wall then the 240V sparky had to connect it and then provide paperwork.

Meanwhile no dramas with furniture inside the ambulance secured to the vehicle with a bolt, washer and nyloc nut to the underside of the car
You forgot to mention your favourites for finished products............Caravans
Old 26-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #83
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:

If they were in NSW and their combined weight was over 4.5T, then they were speeding. If I'm not mistaken you are limited to 100km/hr over 4.5T.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2020, 08:09 PM   #84
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
You forgot to mention your favourites for finished products............Caravans
Those bloody things are held together with no more gaps and the electricals pieced together with scotch locks
Old 27-11-2020, 12:20 AM   #85
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
If they were in NSW and their combined weight was over 4.5T, then they were speeding. If I'm not mistaken you are limited to 100km/hr over 4.5T.
You're talking GCM. Whereas the law you mention, applies to GVM..

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/saf...%20and%20buses.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2020, 05:19 AM   #86
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
You're talking GCM. Whereas the law you mention, applies to GVM..

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/saf...%20and%20buses.
I was going off this...
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-adv...ustralia-80476

Quote:
There really isn't a towing speed limit in the NSW, but the state has a 100km/h absolute maximum on all rigs with a combined mass of greater than 4.5 tonnes. While that sounds like a fair bit, a modern four-wheel-drive towing a big boat or caravan can easily exceed that figure, so a trip to the local weighbridge is a good idea before you hit the road and cruise along at 110km/h on the freeway.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2020, 11:07 AM   #87
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those wanting to get rid of dealerships and make it all online only, that might work against you when it comes to pricing, with less over supply. Be careful what you wish for I guess. This article is about covid’s impact on supply, but I think the same can be applied here.
https://www-wsj-com.cdn.ampproject.o...ic-11606068000
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2020, 02:12 PM   #88
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
For those wanting to get rid of dealerships and make it all online only, that might work against you when it comes to pricing, with less over supply. Be careful what you wish for I guess.
there'll also be far lower retailing overheads though... a balance will be found. at the end of the day, manufacturers economies of scale are built on a certain minimum level of production. they'll still be needing to move a minimum annual amount for it to be profitable.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2020, 04:07 AM   #89
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
there'll also be far lower retailing overheads though... a balance will be found. at the end of the day, manufacturers economies of scale are built on a certain minimum level of production. they'll still be needing to move a minimum annual amount for it to be profitable.
I suspect there are still going to be unintended consequences. Every business pays to acquire customers. Who pays for that now? Car dealerships, not to manufacturer. So the manufacturer doesn’t have to build that into the price. How does a dealership price their vehicles to cover that? They mostly give the car away at cost, and make it up on the back end through financing, servicing, and selling the customer’s trade. It’s quite efficient actually. It has to be!
Now instead of thousands of dealerships competing, we would be buying from a handful of manufacturers who set at their retail pricing. They’re competing in an oligarchy, which is very different. Now they can factor in their customer acquisition costs into their pricing, and they won’t have to be as competitive on the front end. I think if we want lower pricing, deregulation would be much more effective.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2020, 05:08 AM   #90
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep competition sucks. Let’s get rid of it altogether and let manufacturers set the price. In fact to make it even simpler we should have all the manufacturers get together and agree a pricing structure and also agree what features you get for that price. Would make buying a whole lot simpler.
And get rid of colours thats another thing we don’t need just make every car white.

Yep regulation also sucks. We should abolish speed limits; stop-signs; and traffic lights. Also let people drive on whatever side they like. It works fine in other countries.

Furthermore to reduce problems and congestion on our roads certain drivers with high intelligence (such as myself) should be licenced to carry guns and just shoot morons on sight.
Also anyone who currently owns a Commodore should be arrested and placed in labour camps.

Oh yeah: Anyone caught towing a caravan to be immediately deported (along with said Caravan) to New Zealand

Eyre highway to be permanently closed and replaced with a moat.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 28-11-2020 at 05:14 AM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post