Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2023, 12:12 PM   #31
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Default Re: Who is the best insurance for choice of repairer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Yeah I do... your EF XR6 Falcon will get written off.
My BA F6 has an agreed value of 55K for insurance. Leys say i have a minor front ender requiring front guards and front bar. Writing off probably not viable given some second parts are still around, albeit at huge prices. Whats the go there, hypothetically..
Old 08-02-2023, 01:05 PM   #32
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
My BA F6 has an agreed value of 55K for insurance. Leys say i have a minor front ender requiring front guards and front bar. Writing off probably not viable given some second parts are still around, albeit at huge prices. Whats the go there, hypothetically..

Bumpers have places that recondition them, if you have an agreed Value that high they would need to source used parts.
are you with Shannons?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2023, 01:46 PM   #33
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah I do... your EF XR6 Falcon will get written off.
Unless I can find the parts at at a wrecker and give them to the body shop!!!!!!
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2023, 01:48 PM   #34
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bumpers have places that recondition them, if you have an agreed Value that high they would need to source used parts.
are you with Shannons?
How can they source used parts if as you say Ins co and body shops don’t go to wreckers???As I said you don’t know how the body repair industry works
Old 08-02-2023, 02:16 PM   #35
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I've had two repairs carried out under insurance, both a while back when I was with Budget Direct. In both instances it was my choice of repairer, I was very happy with the repairs carried out and the approval process was very easy at my end.

First instance was with my BA XR8 when a lady pulled out in front of me at a t-intersection where our vision of each other was obscured by a car turning between us. I hit her straight on in the drivers door/b-pillar area. I'd never had a repair to that degree carried out before so asked around and found two places locally that were both highly recommended. I chose one of those. Budget Direct (my insurer) handled the repair at my end and dealt with the lady's insurer. Was a very smooth and easy transaction all round.

Second occasion was after I hit a hare on my way home from work one night (at fault). Given the previous experience with the repair shop, I just went straight to them. The repair shop dealt directly with BD and, again, the whole process was very smooth and easy from my end.

As for RACV, I had a bad experience with them, moved away from them (to BD) and will NEVER go back. I replaced the roller door on my property with a panel lift door due to it coming loose from the tracks in high winds. After I had it replaced, someone suggested I claim it on my house insurance. I called RACV, ran them past what was going on and they sent out an assessor. The assessor first claimed the (roller, now not there) door was not designed for the conditions. After explaining the houses either side of me had the same design door and had never had a problem, he then tried to blame lack of maintenance. After asking him if he remembered that I had already replaced the door and he responded in the affirmative, I asked him how he could come to that conclusion when there was nothing left of the old door or its tracks. He then told me he'd made up his mind and that was the end of the discussion.

I called RACV and spoke to the same lady I had lodged the claim with. After expressing my disappointment at the assessment process, she told me that the decision had been made and that the claim had been rejected. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She told me that was not possible. I again expressed my disappointment in the process. She told me that if I was unhappy, I should take my business elsewhere. Not less than 60 minutes later I called her back to cancel both my house and contents insurance, as well as the two cars I had a policy with them for. One of the worst customer service experiences I have had in my life.

They may be better today, but the sour taste in my mouth means I will NEVER go back to them.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2023, 02:17 PM   #36
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Multiple BA and BF FPV's are being written off because insurance companies can't find front bars. Going rate for a bar with inserts is now 5-7k. I sold a completely munted BF GT bar to a restorer last year in Melbourne for $1500, couldn't believe it. Spoke to him on the phone to organise freight and he said he will repair it and then on sell to insurance company for drug money.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:31 PM   #37
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
How can they source used parts if as you say Ins co and body shops don’t go to wreckers???As I said you don’t know how the body repair industry works
Is all in relation to the vehicle and type of insurance. don't be nasty.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:46 PM   #38
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is all in relation to the vehicle and type of insurance. don't be nasty.
I’m not being nasty at all.I am pointing out that you are commenting on a topic you don’t know anything about
Old 08-02-2023, 04:03 PM   #39
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Multiple BA and BF FPV's are being written off because insurance companies can't find front bars. Going rate for a bar with inserts is now 5-7k. I sold a completely munted BF GT bar to a restorer last year in Melbourne for $1500, couldn't believe it. Spoke to him on the phone to organise freight and he said he will repair it and then on sell to insurance company for drug money.
That’s cussedness, what’s stopping people using a fibreglass unit at a pinch?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2023, 04:12 PM   #40
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I’m not being nasty at all.I am pointing out that you are commenting on a topic you don’t know anything about
your angry response with all the exclamation marks:

"""Unless I can find the parts at at a wrecker and give them to the body shop!!!!!!""

you believe this is the normal way how the repair/ insurance system works.

and yet Im accused of knowing nothing...
Old 08-02-2023, 04:49 PM   #41
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Quote:
are you with Shannons?
BA and FG front guards are also no longer made, id assume they would have certain second hand suppliers for these also?
Old 08-02-2023, 05:04 PM   #42
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
BA and FG front guards are also no longer made, id assume they would have certain second hand suppliers for these also?
You can still source new black primed Front Guards for the BA Falcon.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:46 PM   #43
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Quote:
You can still source new black primed Front Guards for the BA Falcon.
OK Cheers, last i heard BA guards were long gone and FG were about to become NLA. That was about 2 years ago now from Maughan Thiem Ford at Port Adelaide. Good to know at least.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2023, 05:59 PM   #44
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
OK Cheers, last i heard BA guards were long gone and FG were about to become NLA. That was about 2 years ago now from Maughan Thiem Ford at Port Adelaide. Good to know at least.
Yeah but are they Ford or Taiwanese copies.Quality varies with the Taiwanese stuff.Some is nearly as good as original in quality and fitment,some is very substandard.We found 20+years ago Falcon panels were a very good fit although the material was a bit thinner
Old 08-02-2023, 09:25 PM   #45
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Think about it.
Time is money, the insurance company the customer & I can assure you the panel beater all want the cars in/out as soon as possible.

They will order new parts, who has time to shop around at wreckers when you can get clean panels ready for paint.

The panel beaters getting parts from wreckers will be the ones not associated with an insurance company.
We use second hand parts every day, we have a computer program that we enter the parts we want and the wreckers quote us with what they have and the prices, we are supplied by at least 10 large wrecking yards.

We only buy used body panels, bumpers lights and glass no mechanical or body cuts, but it does make up a large part of our parts supply, we would spend about 3 million a year easy just on used parts and you could easily say we would spend 10 million on new parts.

It is nothing today to have a new parts order that is $20-30,000 just for 1 car, some new headlights are $5000, a used one would be $1200, you can see why we buy used.

Don't for 1 minute think the dealers don't substitute non genuine for NLA parts, because they do, they call it a parallel part, they have been doing it for years.

Last edited by prktkljokr; 08-02-2023 at 09:46 PM.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2023, 09:57 PM   #46
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Think about it.
Time is money, the insurance company the customer & I can assure you the panel beater all want the cars in/out as soon as possible.

They will order new parts, who has time to shop around at wreckers when you can get clean panels ready for paint.

The panel beaters getting parts from wreckers will be the ones not associated with an insurance company.
I will beg the difference with your comment of not using parts from wreckers for insurance work.

When my two brothers and their friends who had repair businesses it was not the case, they used 2nd hand parts as well as new parts.
Happy to be proven wrong.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2023, 10:32 PM   #47
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
your angry response with all the exclamation marks:

"""Unless I can find the parts at at a wrecker and give them to the body shop!!!!!!""

you believe this is the normal way how the repair/ insurance system works.

and yet Im accused of knowing nothing...
Well it would appear that those on here who do know how the industry works are disagreeing with your comments
Old 09-02-2023, 10:21 AM   #48
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well it would appear that those on here who do know how the industry works are disagreeing with your comments
It would seem your mission is to discredit me without worrying about what you have written.
Old 09-02-2023, 10:24 AM   #49
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
I will beg the difference with your comment of not using parts from wreckers for insurance work.

When my two brothers and their friends who had repair businesses it was not the case, they used 2nd hand parts as well as new parts.
Happy to be proven wrong.
Sorry i didn't say they didn't use 2nd hand parts they will use what every they can get hold of quicker.

For instance getting a new front Guard for under $100 would be easier than using a 2nd hand one that would also require minor patch work.

happy to be proven wrong, and it depends on the workshop. smaller ones etc
Old 10-02-2023, 11:21 AM   #50
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Sorry i didn't say they didn't use 2nd hand parts they will use what every they can get hold of quicker.

For instance getting a new front Guard for under $100 would be easier than using a 2nd hand one that would also require minor patch work.

happy to be proven wrong, and it depends on the workshop. smaller ones etc
Your words not mine, enough said.
Quote:
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2023, 11:27 AM   #51
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*getting all their parts*
Guys let it go this forum is getting toxic
Old 10-02-2023, 10:18 PM   #52
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Just to clear it up a little, we are what you would call a large panel shop, we only do insurance work, we will buy parts from wherever we can get them from, we will even use Facebook, eBay and gumtree if we have to, when it comes to panel we will take new, used, even reconditioned, getting parts for 70 - 100 cars a week, we will take anything from A grade parts to C grade parts, repairing stuff is no problem if the parts price is right, you would not believe how many new parts come damaged and we get a discount and just repair them, we will repair whatever, however it comes, as its the time sourcing and waiting for parts that costs money, the parts are paid for by the insurer so we don't care how much it costs, we have our own plastics repairers on site that will refurbish some bumpers and plastic trim parts we cant get in a acceptable time or price, we also do all mechanical, electrical, tyres, wheel alignments, air conditioner re-gas, Roo bars, Tow bars etc in house (under a different bossiness name)

There are businesses out there that supply the panel industry with refurbished parts, bumpers and headlights are a big thing as they are expensive new, like I said before some Headlights are $5000, and no they are not Rolls Royce or Porsche, the humble Mazda 6, Jeep, Chrysler, etc have headlights in the $5000+ price range and there are many others that are just insane on the prices they charge for plastic a globe and a bit of wiring, so a light snot in the nose will nearly total 1 of these.

We work on volume and speed, the quicker the car comes and goes the more money is made, we work on a 4 day average turn around from panel to out the door no matter the car or the damage, some will be out the same day, most go out within the 4 days, we sometimes have cars stay a week or longer but they are usually because parts are coming via camel.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: