Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2023, 12:26 PM   #31
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: FPV Open Days

As mentioned lovely to see......
DFB 1 of T3 TL50 still with same owner.
The other T3 you mention was Jason's, he's moved it on since.
Quite a few other owners Fords I recognise from those forum days.
That STFORD plated one was Jasons, editor of Street Fords, has featured many forum cars in that mag back then and attended many Club days.
All gone never forgotten.
I've struggled what to buy ever since.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2023, 08:20 PM   #32
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
Wow mate thankyou for spending the time getting all of this together for us to enjoy!

Amazing stuff right there.

To be honest its the little things these companies did back then like sending out kids brochures of their fpv models etc (i was a driving teenager when the BA came out). Holden and HSV did it too.
I'm sure something as simple as this, plus things like an open day planted alot of seeds in all of us. I remember having the brochures in our rooms, or pics from the brochures etc cut out and displayed somewhere. All the time looking at those photos for me is probably what made me a fan. Probably why i also like some of the HSV GTS/GTO coupes etc also.

There wouldn't be any more pics from that rapid yellow BA typhoon from the 2005 FPV day by any chance? Also what month was the 2005 fpv day?
No, sorry.

Looking at the date codes on the 2005 pictures, its listed as 27/02/2005.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2023, 08:41 PM   #33
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The next collection of images don't relate to an official FPV Open day, in fact the signs on the building were long gone by now, the blue buildings were the only clue remaining.

The event held at Prodrive Racing Australia (nee FPR) on October 2nd, 2016 was all-inclusive goodbye celebration to signify the end of the local production. From memory, this event was organised so as to not be in the workers face when the factory officially closed down, giving them a dignified exit while also showing our appreciation. I think I have described that correctly, it was a few years ago now.

This would be the last time I visited the Tickford/FPV/FPR/PRA/Tickford Racing site, many familiar cars were there on the day.

This car had a lot of attention on the day, the very last GT-F assembled in Victory Gold.

I got a little confused the regarding the Narooma TS50 in a previous post, it was actually the owner of this TE50 I spent a while speaking with. Again, I think he was a member of this forum.

I remember this day being quite pleasant despite the sadness in the air. Five days later, Ford made their very last car and so ended over 90 years of Ford manufacturing in Australia.
Mustang GT

Old 06-02-2023, 08:56 PM   #34
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Remember that day very well, was a day we all knew was special but sad… got to meet a lot of the main team and my son still talks of it.. wow still had the r-spec rims and L plates on my car too !
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2023, 09:20 PM   #35
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

One week later on the 15th of October, 2016, I was invited to an event Wheels Magazine organized to celebrate Ford manufacturing in Australia. Called Ford Falcon - The Legacy Lives On, the day was held at the Geelong Airfield, with both morning and afternoon groups.

This was a day for the fans! Wheels then editor Glen Butler was the MC, with presentations made by then Ford President Graeme Whickman, as well as another Ford executive who, from memory, was in charge of the local product development team. This part of the day was all about conveying that while Ford would no longer make cars in Australia, the legacy of the Falcon would live on in the future vehicles they were still very much actively developing in Australia.

The second part of the presentations included Justin Capicchiano speaking of his involvement on high-performance Fords, mostly the recently released Sprint and GT-F models.

Also present was respected journalist Peter Robinson and drivers Mark Winterbottom and Cam Waters.

We actually gave the owner of this Falcon Squire a ride back into Melbourne, where I was shown some very tasty old Falcon's.

This EA was stunning, probably better than the day it rolled out of Broadmeadows.

Part of the day included getting a picture taken with the very last Ford's to come off the line. I of course have those pics, but I can't reveal my secret identity!

A lot of the cars present on the day were also used for Wheels photography and video content -

And that concludes this look back to a time when we had access to such wonderful machines. If anyone feels like contributing their own images, the more the merrier.
Mustang GT

Old 06-02-2023, 09:34 PM   #36
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I was there that day, as were a fair few other other forum members I think.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2023, 09:51 PM   #37
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Sprint was there (not in those pics)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2023, 12:05 AM   #38
GT1533

Thanks for the photos. Really enjoyed them.

Wheels magazine was no friend of the Falcon. Ironic that they came to the funeral.
GT1533 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2023, 01:02 AM   #39
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went there every year or 2 for many years. All my photos had been lost to history by now so it's very nice to reminisce.

I was there in 2009 looking for inspiration in my upgrade from the EL Ghia to a BF of some sorts. Had to be an FPV and I had my eye on a late 2007 blue F6 R-Spec with 2000km on it on the Gold Coast. Had a very sad story behind it and I was ready to drop the hammer on it but something was holding me off... Couldn't explain why.

When we were walking out of the FPV day we were talking about it in the group when the quiet one goes "what about a Force 6, that be more your style". **** me, I never never never thought of it at all.
i
Look on the Carsales and there is one in Coburg with 10,500km on it at the right price. 2 weeks later it was mine. 30th birthday present.

A year or so later a friend invited me as his plus 1 to an FPV open night. I think it was the release of the FG V8 Supercar. He had a friend that was doing placement there as part of her marketing uni course or something like that, so she got to invite a few people.

FPV were selling of excess BF FPV parts dirt cheap, all money going to charity.

Picked up 2 Force lip spoilers for $10 each I think it was, chrome mirror scalps for $10 a set, box full of alloy pedal covers for like $50 and I think we scored 4 or 5 complete sets of R-Spec shocks for $10 a shock.

So I ended up with an R-Spec Force 6.

Also ended up being one of the biggest lemons I've owned. $36,000 in warranty repairs.

Still loved it though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Next, these are from the 2007 open day, only a few photo's from that year.

Someone had good taste, Force 8 in Ego with the Regency Red interior.
Nooooo... Good, or probably should say excellent, taste is a Force 6 in Ego with the red interior.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2023, 08:51 AM   #40
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must admit, the Ford Falcon - the Legacy lives on event didn't feel like a celebration, it felt more like a wake.
All very sombre.

3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2023, 10:07 AM   #41
rods falcon
Long time lurking

I think my Devil R is in this image, 2nd from the end.

There were many good examples of local production on display that day.
Old 09-02-2023, 12:02 PM   #42
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bitter sweet, thanks for sharing. Proud to say I was somehow involved in the birth of many FPVs, either as customer orders or stock orders. Got to choose some pretty far out combos throughout the years of the entire life of FPV. All good memories. These days the closest I get to ordering exciting cars is Mustang, that's it. Pretty sad.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2023, 02:39 PM   #43
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Awesome pics again mate, keep em coming if you have more!
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2023, 10:24 AM   #44
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

What a good read, thanks for posting
Old 10-02-2023, 07:59 PM   #45
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Amazing pics,cheers for posting em up fella,awesome.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:35 PM   #46
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Bitter sweet, thanks for sharing. Proud to say I was somehow involved in the birth of many FPVs, either as customer orders or stock orders. Got to choose some pretty far out combos throughout the years of the entire life of FPV. All good memories. These days the closest I get to ordering exciting cars is Mustang, that's it. Pretty sad.
Cars like this, Menace with Orange...........

Mustang GT

Old 10-02-2023, 11:16 PM   #47
GT1533

The other aspect of those days was that it was quite common to see FPV vehicles in the general traffic. Nowadays they must be all garage queens (mine included).
GT1533 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2023, 04:48 PM   #48
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1533 View Post
The other aspect of those days was that it was quite common to see FPV vehicles in the general traffic. Nowadays they must be all garage queens (mine included).
Just did 350 today in the GTP……….
And into a dust filled swap meet car park..enjoy em I say
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2023, 05:07 PM   #49
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Just did 350 today in the GTP……….
And into a dust filled swap meet car park..enjoy em I say
I agree, but i dont own one. If i did id probably hide it away .

Im bad enough with my current car not getting driven, let alone an FPV.

Rarely see FPV/Tickfords on the road where iam, i can see why. But i do get excited when i see a nice one driving around!
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 11-02-2023, 10:31 PM   #50
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Like everyone else, I really appreciate your write up and photos.

I'm sad to say I never got to visit the Tickford/FPV factory or even Ford HQ itself actually being from north of Sydney at the time. Shame really. I did go to almost every Sydney motor show though to see the new FPV offerings from 2004 until 2013. I remember walking past Lambos, Ferraris etc just to get to see the new FPVs and Falcons... Then I'd go look at everyone else's offerings.

I'm sad that there's no car that interests me enough to take my son and daughter to any new cars show (I'm not even sure there is such a thing anymore). If I were to take them, it would only to go and see the exotics. Nothing in a working man's wage is even worth viewing a motoring website now days, let alone a motor show. It's a sad time in Aussie motoring, especially compared to the FPV years for me.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2023, 10:55 PM   #51
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
Like everyone else, I really appreciate your write up and photos.

I'm sad to say I never got to visit the Tickford/FPV factory or even Ford HQ itself actually being from north of Sydney at the time. Shame really. I did go to almost every Sydney motor show though to see the new FPV offerings from 2004 until 2013. I remember walking past Lambos, Ferraris etc just to get to see the new FPVs and Falcons... Then I'd go look at everyone else's offerings.

I'm sad that there's no car that interests me enough to take my son and daughter to any new cars show (I'm not even sure there is such a thing anymore). If I were to take them, it would only to go and see the exotics. Nothing in a working man's wage is even worth viewing a motoring website now days, let alone a motor show. It's a sad time in Aussie motoring, especially compared to the FPV years for me.
I think that sentiment is pretty common now.

High end Falcon's could satisfy the itch for something powerful, while also being somewhat practical for a family man.

The only "desirable" enthusiast cars in that working man's price range seem to center around hot hatches. There is certainly fun to be had in those cars, but they would struggle to be a multipurpose purchase.

I would say that for me personally, there are still a few interesting options available on the new car market, Mustang, Supra, BMW M2, but then I don't need to purchase for a growing family.

Also, the way car prices have inflated over the last 3 years, cars like the Mustang for instance are creeping out of the "affordable" price range. I paid $58,000 for a manual Mustang GT in 2017. Same car is beyond $70K now. I have a S650 on order, but it won't be the bargain my S550 was.
Mustang GT

Old 12-02-2023, 07:15 PM   #52
borts154
Starter Motor

A massive thanks for posting all the pictures DFB FGXR6.

I never went to an official FPV open day, only the 'unofficial' event the week before the end of manufacture.
It was the weekend before Bathurst if memory serves me correct, which is why FPR wasn't opened up on the day, all the merchandise was on the trucks ready to go upto the mountain.

Whilst I can understand Ford managements descision not to formally commemorate the end of manufacture (thinking of the workers) it really gave Holden an example of how not to do it. Considering how they handled their end of manufacture, as a Ford fan, in my opinion, sadly, there's no comparison in terms of who did it better.

Sadly all in the past now.
Including Holden, who'd have thought that back when Ford stopped Australian manufacturing?
borts154 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2023, 10:36 PM   #53
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to the first Tickford open day, and the last.
They had an auction at the latter, the Tickford building signage went for $800 (I think the emblem and wording sold separately)
Wish I bought them, although at the time I had no idea how to get them home (you had to take it on the day and was on a pallet)

Anyone know who bought them?
Someone must have it on display somewhere.

Old 13-02-2023, 08:06 AM   #54
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
I went to the first Tickford open day, and the last.
They had an auction at the latter, the Tickford building signage went for $800 (I think the emblem and wording sold separately)
Wish I bought them, although at the time I had no idea how to get them home (you had to take it on the day and was on a pallet)

Anyone know who bought them?
Someone must have it on display somewhere.
I believe i have a mate of a mate on Facechook that purchased the Lettering. I believe he was/is a member on here.
- Antz Turboside Intake