Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-01-2022, 06:43 PM   #1921
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why is it.................?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
There's no hazard in doing anything if you watch what you're doing

Problem is, sometimes things happen that you just don't expect. It's not hard to put a decent pair of shoes on. Or even ANY shoes, for that matter. Thongs (of either variety) won't help much tho.
fair call.

The only injury from lawn mowing I have seen was to the foot. I was a kid that did the family lawns, and so was the kid that lived across the road. One of the blades let go mid-mow and speared straight into his toes...was nasty. He was bit older than me and had rotten luck like that. I remember him in a neck brace at some point.... not mowing related that one.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2022, 06:52 PM   #1922
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
fair call.

The only injury from lawn mowing I have seen was to the foot. I was a kid that did the family lawns, and so was the kid that lived across the road. One of the blades let go mid-mow and speared straight into his toes...was nasty. He was bit older than me and had rotten luck like that. I remember him in a neck brace at some point.... not mowing related that one.
Probably bad karma!.......maybe in a past life he mistreated mowers and now they are getting their revenge!......
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2022, 07:47 PM   #1923
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

while still at school I had a franchise, over 150 lawns on the books and I didnt mow one, had school mates do the dirty work, and me dad with the trailer for the hand mowers and grass clippings, (also had a composting business going) but covered toes was a absolute.
I remember rocking up on my push bike to see the team working one street and frank was barefoot, He walked home then and there and never touched my gear again.
Old 17-01-2022, 01:10 AM   #1924
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’ve had my boot impacted by debris ejected by the blades so hard, that I’m sure broken toes would have occurred if not for the steel cap. Not wearing protection is Darwinism at work. And yes, I almost lost a big toe on a neighbours mower when I was 3.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 17-01-2022, 01:17 AM   #1925
.:4:.
Kicking back

Steel caps or not i still cringe when i see people walk backwards with mowers. Turn around and pull it behind you, its not that hard.
Also im big on boots and long pants, if not for safety reasons, you spend less time in the shower afterwards.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2022, 08:59 AM   #1926
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Why is it..... that very few people apologise or admit that they got things wrong these days?

I've especially seen this with our pollies and business leaders. It's though it's seen as being 'weak'. Making errors is to be human. It is expected. Its how we learn. And it's OK to admit that you made the best decision at the time with the information available at the time, but in hindsight, that was not the best decision or that the decision did not have the expected results.

I have more respect for someone who displays humility than those who cannot admit fault/error.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #1927
slowsnake
Banned

It's been going on since I started work aged 15 yrs, I called it "passing the buck" and I saw this everywhere I went, mistakes being made and blaming others instead of admitting you are at fault, any employer would respect you coming forward, lest the wrong person was blamed, seen some underhanded things happen all my working life, think it's an ego thing Sky Pilot!

PS...I thing Covid-19 has brought out the weak characters in people in society, who before could of hidden that flaw, like a drunk, sober nice bloke, drunk then all the hidden faults show, racism, bigotry and hatred!

Last edited by slowsnake; 29-01-2022 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Add PS
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-01-2022, 12:50 PM   #1928
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Why is it you go to the dealer with a dash warning light, they have it for a hour, then they tell you they could not fix it within the hour and it could take up to 5 hours at $300 per hour with no guarantee that they can solve the issue.

So you buy a $1000 scanner and fix the fault in under 1/2 a hour your self with no factory training?, ( steering angle sensor reset )

Im sure they are taking the p!ss, it seems the guy behind the desk is just a salesman, he has no knowledge about cars at all when asked about different scenarios, he just sells you a repair at maximum $$, it then goes out the back where the first year apprentice gets some scanner time to learn at your expense for 5 hours obviously.

Perth Mercedes dealership can kiss my @ss from now on.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2022, 01:57 PM   #1929
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Why is it you go to the dealer with a dash warning light, they have it for a hour, then they tell you they could not fix it within the hour and it could take up to 5 hours at $300 per hour with no guarantee that they can solve the issue.

So you buy a $1000 scanner and fix the fault in under 1/2 a hour your self with no factory training?, ( steering angle sensor reset )

Im sure they are taking the p!ss, it seems the guy behind the desk is just a salesman, he has no knowledge about cars at all when asked about different scenarios, he just sells you a repair at maximum $$, it then goes out the back where the first year apprentice gets some scanner time to learn at your expense for 5 hours obviously.

Just shows you the calibre of training Dealerships give to their apprentices and mechanics, the good mechanics move on leaving mediocre mechanics at best.
I really don't blame the mechanics but the dealerships are not training them properly these days, I had an incident where I proved I had a faulty battery after being told it was ok.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2022, 02:22 PM   #1930
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post

I've found that independent Benz workshops are the way to go
Old 29-01-2022, 02:23 PM   #1931
.:4:.
Kicking back

It boils down to this. An apprentice does 4 days a week 'learning' on site (5 or 6 depending on overtime etc) and 1 day at tafe. Tafe teaches theory and the fundamentals. On the job is where the tradesman should teach. Its when tradesmen either dont know how to teach, see apprentices like anchors slowing them down, being over their job etc that leads to apprentices passing the tests at tafe but being terrible tradesmen.
When i did my electrical apprenticeship, there was a couple tradesmen who just didnt want to teach anything. They could do it faster then someone who had never done it before, so they treated you like an anchor. The bloke i spent most my time under loved the trade, if you didnt understand something, asking a genuine question, he gave a genuine explaination. So that was my approach to apprentices when i became a tradesman. With a new apprentice, id sit them down and tell them. Their job is not to spend 4 years cleaning up. Their job is learn. Their job is not to my job easier, it is to make jobs get done faster, share the workload. Dont just wing it if you dont understand a request or explaination, ask.
I found that to be an easy non agressive way to get the best out of people.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2022, 03:39 PM   #1932
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I've found that independent Benz workshops are the way to go
Not my first Merc, I have used the so called good independent Euro mechanics around in the past have been dealing with them for the last 10 years, they are not much different to the dealer except for hourly price, they still try to sting you for un-needed maintenance ("upsell" we used to call it at Automasters).

I only use them for oil change to stamp the book, apart from that I do all other maintenance myself.

I found most independents to be just as bad based on multiple occasions they tried the "upsell", the last straw a few months back was when they called me to tell me that the car needed brakes, I told them that I would be doing them myself as I have a hoist at home and already have the parts to do it, ($330 of parts) only for them to then go behind my back to ring my wife and give her a spiel about the importance of a professional doing the brakes trying to get her to agree to a $1200 brake job, Now seeing I worked for Automasters for 4 years as a brake tech, that just p!ssed me off, then when I put the car on the hoist to do the brakes I found that the pads were only 40% worn on the front and 50% on the rear, all rotors were well in spec, which p!ssed me off even more, so im done with them, the car is at 60,000 now so I have decided I will be doing all services myself from now on seeing I cant trust them anymore .

Last edited by prktkljokr; 29-01-2022 at 03:46 PM. Reason: doh!
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2022, 06:52 PM   #1933
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Why is it...... that kfc and the like, advertise on their packaging to 'please recycle me', yet they don't provide a recycling bin on or in their premises to enable you to do just that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2022, 07:03 PM   #1934
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Why is it...... that kfc and the like, advertise on their packaging to 'please recycle me', yet they don't provide a recycling bin on or in their premises to enable you to do just that?
Because then they would have to foot the bill. Exactly the same concept with regards to offering healthier options, knowing people will just buy the old fatty stuff anyway.

Don't people just recycle it by dumping it in the gutter before they drive off anyway?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2022, 09:56 PM   #1935
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Ever since I got my Mustang and have been a member of a few American forums, I have noticed when guys/girls change their oil, they use several small bottles of oil rather than the larger 5+ litre contains we generally use in Australia.

They poor these one by one into the engine.

Why is it they do this has had me wondering for a while now.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2022, 11:06 PM   #1936
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, I've noticed that on a couple of those build shows on TV.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:30 PM   #1937
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why is it when you advertise something these days theres some one whos going to majorly low ball your price and when you decline , they add good luck with the sale as you wont get better that my offer

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2022, 09:49 PM   #1938
tasdex

Those be the ,,
“ I ain’t got the coin anyways twats “
tasdex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2022, 11:39 PM   #1939
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
why is it when you advertise something these days theres some one whos going to majorly low ball your price and when you decline , they add good luck with the sale as you wont get better that my offer
I don't even bother to answer low ball offers and if the person is in my presence I politely tell them to leave and stop wasting my time.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2022, 09:59 PM   #1940
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is it we can call it Japanese encephalitis but can't call covid the China virus?
3 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2022, 11:00 PM   #1941
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Why is it we can call it Japanese encephalitis but can't call covid the China virus?
Because Trump called out China and the leftist wokies droned "that's racist".
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2022, 11:00 PM   #1942
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It’s the same at my local Westfield, the food court has done away with plastic plates,cutlery and straws, it’s all paper or sugar cane based, but there’s still only general bins for you to put them in. Surely they can put in composting bins, but people are too dumb to know how to use them anyway. The kitchen staff at my childcare go to the effort of saving the recyclables, putting them in a bin bag and dropping it in the recycling bin. Doesn’t matter how many times I tell them recyclables need to go in loose or the bag will be plucked out and put in general at the sorting plant. Zero forks are given.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 21-03-2022, 10:31 PM   #1943
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why is it that those who cannot swim tend to drown when in water above their heads however human corpses float without any effort.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2022, 11:08 PM   #1944
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Why is it that those who cannot swim tend to drown when in water above their heads however human corpses float without any effort.
thats an easy one
corpses cant drown

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2022, 09:16 AM   #1945
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

last 2 very sick but damn funny.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:50 AM   #1946
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Why is it that humans, particularly kids, can be so cruel to each other? I look at what is reportedly happening in Ukraine to the civilians caught up in the Russian invasion, and it saddens me.

My daughter is suffering bullying at school from a 'person' (that's being too kind calling her that) that has come to the school this year, and for whatever reason, has taken offence to my daughter and has decided that she needs to be higher in the pecking order than my daughter so is doing all she can to let my daughter know where this 'person' thinks she should be.

My daughter has been very scholastic through school. But this term, her grades have dropped off dramatically. My daughter has wanted to be a dentist for ages, even organising her own work experience locally, and looking at organising more work experience at James Cook University in Cairns. which is where she'd like to do her studies.

But now, because of the social situation at school, she has lost all interest in becoming a dentist. She's lost all hope of being able to achieve the ATAR she needs to get into Uni for dentistry. She's lost all interest in being at school altogether.

She calls me at lunchtime sitting in the toilets crying because she has no one to spend her lunch with. One of the teachers even picks on her because her daughter is in my daughter's class and the teacher seems to think it's ok to run a competition between the two.

It's heart-breaking.

Please, be kind to one another, folks. Life's too short to spend it all being mean to others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2022, 10:23 PM   #1947
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez, that's pretty crap FGX, hope you're keeping a close eye on her, don't want another Dolly Everett statistic.

Please have a look at this and see if it may be of help to your daughter/family.

https://dollysdream.org.au/
2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2022, 10:40 PM   #1948
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was in Subway last week and noticed the bin in the shop had a small hole for bottles and cans and a larger hole for other rubbish with matching signage on the backboard of the joinery. Problem was there was only one large bin beneath both holes.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2022, 11:40 AM   #1949
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Geez, that's pretty crap FGX, hope you're keeping a close eye on her, don't want another Dolly Everett statistic.

Please have a look at this and see if it may be of help to your daughter/family.

https://dollysdream.org.au/
Cheers for your concern, and the reference to resources, jaydee. Yes, we're keeping an eye on her and have sought professional support for her, too. We've engaged with the school to raise our concerns and to see what they can offer to help manage the situation. But, we are also looking at relocating her to a new school, which seems to be her preferred option.

It's a hard one to know hat to do. On one hand, it might be an opportunity to build resilience by staying where she is and not allowing the bullies to 'win'. On the other hand, she's been trying to achieve that over the last four years. When do you say enough is enough and consider other options?

Especially when she's in year 11 now and this and next year are the most crucial for her if she is to succeed in getting into a dentist course at Uni.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2022, 02:30 PM   #1950
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Why is it that none of my loaves of bread make it their use by date as of late?

Ok, I get whilst it was warm and we had humidity over the summer period that it's reasonable to expect the bread might go off, and sure, it's still humid here atm, but it's hardly warm! Went to have some toast today only to be greeted by my wholemeal grain bread having white spots over all over it. And its use by date was today .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~