Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #8161
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Last EVER Falcon Picture & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Sync 2 is totally different.
Is it still a Microsoft product?

Reminds me of a new Windows platform: all the glossies and pretty pictures look great, and the concepts are wonderful, but the reality is that you still end up with BSOD (or equiv)

As I said, I hope SYNC2 is better than SYNC.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #8162
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post

Reminds me of a new Windows platform:

Craig H
More like the Windows Phone platform that has been around for about 5 years and rocks the casbah.

Looking forward to seeing it
Old 22-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #8163
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Ghia Mike View Post
Plug and play swap, or are software updates needed?

Mike
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11419146

Here ya go.
Old 22-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #8164
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxckevo View Post
If you're all going to whinge about the XR6 Turbo still only having 270kw, please direct me to a link as to where Ford states this.
Don't you feel like you're just using unessacary energy getting worked up on something that is still uncertain?..
A question to ask is how much power and torque has the current model really got in overboost mode and keep in mind that they're a bit lighter than the F6's.
My 2009 XR6T Auto achieved the following results at WSID on 21/5/14. I've had it since new and it's standard and untuned (that subject was addressed in post number 218 of 2/5/14 on the "Confusion over VF SS 0-100 times" thread).
The runs were measured by both the Dragstrip timing gear and my own GPS based Racelogic Performance Box.
Conditions were:- 18-19 C. 70%+ humidity. 92 kg driver. Spare/jack in car. 1/4 tank plus items in boot. Equivalent of 1/2 plus fuel load. Near new Goodyear Eagle F1 Directional tyres, approx $270 each.

Run 1. The car was launched in second gear with a 2250 rpm stall up.
0-20................................0.85 sec................2.40 metres
0-40................................1.64............ ..........9.01
0-60................................2.61............ ..........22.54
0-80................................3.70............ ..........43.78
0-100..............................4.85sec.......... .......72.51

0-120...............................6.40............ .........120.46
0-140.............................8.19.............. .......184.87
0-160..............................10.24............ ........270.74
0-180.04..........................12.97sec.......... .....400 metres. Obviously way more than 270 kW and 533 Nm was at work on this run with 2.61 to 60, and 4.85 sec to 100 times in a high second gear that runs to over 110 kmh.
Dragstrip measured 1/4 mile time was 12.731 seconds. Car shallow staged.

Run 2.
First gear launch (in Drive) this time, but with a lower 1950 rpm stall up (probably not enough grip for a 2250 rpm launch in 1st gear). Also the rolling acceleration was slower on this run (engine/transmission temps possibly too cool).
0-20................................0.84 sec.................2.25 metres
0-60................................2.37............ ..........19.37
0-100...............................4.62 sec................69.68

0-179.39 kmh....................12.84 sec...............400 metres.
I got a 12.509 second Dragstrip 1/4 mile timeslip. Car shallow staged.

Could it have been quicker if there had been enough grip for me to use the 2250 rpm stall in first gear?
Well, previously on a concrete surface it had worked for me and given the car a very fast 0.64 second 0-20 time.
Applying this data to run 2 (using the accurate Racelogic software) shows the potential for an almost 2 tenths faster 400 metre time. Calculation below.

0-20.................................0.64 sec.................1.97 metres
0-60.................................2.17........... ............19.09
0-100................................4.42 sec.................69.40

0-179.44 kmh.....................12.65 seconds..........400 metres
So grip permitting, I'm thinking that there's the potential for a 12.3 second 1/4 mile Dragstrip timeslip.
I don't believe my car is special. The Performance Box has been used to test the rolling performance of another standard car and it was equal to mine.
Also there are a few reports of very good performances from standard cars on the XR6 Turbo.com forum.
At the FG Turbo's release Ford mentioned the Overboost function, but I think the engines true real world performance has stayed under the radar. Now that the F6 has gone, and Ford has been talking about the GTF's overboost performance, I'm wondering if we will hear more about the Turbo's overboost.

Even if they don't improve the new model Turbo's performance, on my test data, I believe that they will still have a car with a 400 metre performance that should look extremely good against the V8 Commodore and the naturally aspirated HSV's.

Last edited by 2242100; 22-08-2014 at 04:45 PM.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #8165
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyy17 View Post
Any chance older falcons that have screens (g6e, xr50) can somehow install Sync 2?
Mk2 would be a chance, I'd doubt doing it in a mk1 would be economic.
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #8166
Sioso
irregular member

I was reading on wikipedia yesterday that the 270kw xr6t motor has 53nm (10%) overboost at wot (under the right conditions)- 586NM total

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Barra_engine
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #8167
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I've followed this thread for quite some time, and some great information has been both reported and shared.
In my experience here, I must say that I am impressed with what Ford has in store for us and I will be replacing dads G6E-T with a new one, and I definitely want an XR8 for me as well. Even the airport car (FG Cab Chassis LPG ute - out in the weather all day) is looking endangered as if I can get an FGX ecoLPI ute with the sync2 system, then happy days.

Personally, I love what Ford has done on an obviously limited budget, and am looking forward to continuing the satisfaction that I first felt when I drove the G6E turbo back in 2008, minus the potential for costly repairs as the cars age. I suspect any genuine owner who has an FG or FG2, will find the upgrade is a relatively simple choice as the new model is the best looking by far, with some tweaks to the interior (that tan colour leather looks awesome) but more importantly that wonderful tech improvement.

To the detractors on this forum decrying the latest efforts by Ford I have to ask, were you genuinely interested in purchasing the FGX or were you merely tyre-kicking?
Some of the criticisms and reasons not to buy here are beyond the pale and smack of desperation to explain why you'd never buy it based on XYZ - is this merely a deflection for something else?
I've spoken to a few people who have seen the car and recommend it, and frankly panning it based on some spy shots is pretty dumb.
Whilst I agree we can have opinions, I must admit I'd buy it sight unseen based on my previous experiences with Ford and their falcon products.

Simply put, I love my cars now for the way they drive, the experience I have with servicing, the way the cars make me feel. I want to keep that feeling but I'm a realist, and things wear out. So I'll replace them with new ones. That the cars will look a whole lot more modern is a bonus, that they'll have new tech to make driving easier is an added bonus, and that the interior which seems to be the theme for most discourse remains roughly the same however with new colours is fine by me - I never disliked the interior.
If you want an Aussie car with a new interior but a boring drive-train buy a Holden.
If you want an Aussie car with a new exterior, tech and fantastic choices of drive-trains but a familiar interior buy the Ford.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #8168
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very well said. ltd!!
Old 22-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #8169
MrMaestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
There were reports 6 months ago that Ford was dumping Windows and going to QNX for Sync, but that seems like way too short a time frame for a ground-up software redevelopment so Sync 2 must still be Windows-based.

Given Microsoft's track record of innovation (or lack-thereof), if the reports are true then it's not hard to see why the partnership didn't work out. They release some good products, but only after many many many iterations.
MrMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #8170
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
I've followed this thread for quite some time, and some great information has been both reported and shared.
In my experience here, I must say that I am impressed with what Ford has in store for us and I will be replacing dads G6E-T with a new one, and I definitely want an XR8 for me as well. Even the airport car (FG Cab Chassis LPG ute - out in the weather all day) is looking endangered as if I can get an FGX ecoLPI ute with the sync2 system, then happy days.

Personally, I love what Ford has done on an obviously limited budget, and am looking forward to continuing the satisfaction that I first felt when I drove the G6E turbo back in 2008, minus the potential for costly repairs as the cars age. I suspect any genuine owner who has an FG or FG2, will find the upgrade is a relatively simple choice as the new model is the best looking by far, with some tweaks to the interior (that tan colour leather looks awesome) but more importantly that wonderful tech improvement.

To the detractors on this forum decrying the latest efforts by Ford I have to ask, were you genuinely interested in purchasing the FGX or were you merely tyre-kicking?
Some of the criticisms and reasons not to buy here are beyond the pale and smack of desperation to explain why you'd never buy it based on XYZ - is this merely a deflection for something else?
I've spoken to a few people who have seen the car and recommend it, and frankly panning it based on some spy shots is pretty dumb.
Whilst I agree we can have opinions, I must admit I'd buy it sight unseen based on my previous experiences with Ford and their falcon products.

Simply put, I love my cars now for the way they drive, the experience I have with servicing, the way the cars make me feel. I want to keep that feeling but I'm a realist, and things wear out. So I'll replace them with new ones. That the cars will look a whole lot more modern is a bonus, that they'll have new tech to make driving easier is an added bonus, and that the interior which seems to be the theme for most discourse remains roughly the same however with new colours is fine by me - I never disliked the interior.
If you want an Aussie car with a new interior but a boring drive-train buy a Holden.
If you want an Aussie car with a new exterior, tech and fantastic choices of drive-trains but a familiar interior buy the Ford.

You had me until you said you were happy with the servicing experience, other than that - well said.
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #8171
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo77 View Post
You had me until you said you were happy with the servicing experience, other than that - well said.
If you are unhappy with YOUR dealer experience, find another dealer.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #8172
Callum31

So the new Falcon and Territory will definitely have the Sync 2 software?

Sounds awesome!
Callum31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #8173
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo77 View Post
I must admit I've been lucky with servicing, my service advisor was at Jubilee Ford, then Dale Ford and now Thomson Ford. I've followed him through the different dealers and never had an issue that he couldn't solve, and they wash and vacuum the car to boot.
That's what I meant about servicing. Prices are excellent value too, and I don't get the up-sell nonsense some of you guys obviously get.

Quote: