Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-02-2019, 12:32 AM   #1
TeamSAXON

Unhappy Brake light malfunction + cruise control

Hey I have a series 3 xr6 172kW that's got a couple of issues now which have come up in the last few days.

The cruise control used to function fine but now it will only turn on, the speed cannot be set with either + or -. I have replaced the master cylinder brake switch but this hasn't fixed it.

I have read it could be the brake pedal switch, but I only have very novice level knowledge and don't want to stuff around with anything that could make things worse.

Which brings me to the next issue:
I also recently changed the tail lights from halogen to leds. I had these same leds (taken directly from the wreck) set up in my series II XR6 and never had voltage leak issue.

The brakes are continuously lit when the headlights are switched on. Otherwise they operate normally.
I should point out the spoiler lamp operates normally when the headlights are switched on. Would this mean that the brake switch is not the issue?

Possibly dirty or corroded bulb sockets??
Have not tried an ecu reset yet.

Don't really have the cash to spend on an auto electrician
TeamSAXON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2019, 06:19 AM   #2
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Brake light malfunction + cruise control

The LEDs are not earthing correctly - some are just badly wired and the stop/tail circuits are connected with a resistor (very bad). Pull them out and stick normal globes back in.
raceteam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #3
TeamSAXON

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceteam View Post
Pull them out and stick normal globes back in.

I should point out that the leds functioned perfectly the night I put them in. They dimmed and lit when brake pedal applied.

I stuck the halogens in last night but the problem remains.
TeamSAXON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless you've opened the LEDs up, or can confirm that each circuit is diode protected, I wouldn't use them. A bunch of the cheap ones just have different resistor values from each of the stop/tail circuits to a single LED group. This means current can flow through the resistor network between each of those circuits, linking the 2 circuits. The resistors overheat and burn out, and the backfeeding of the circuits does wonders for other components in the vehicle.

Basically, the resistor network in the LED burns out, and the tail lamps are backfeeding the brake light circuit, bypassing the switch.

You described 2 different problems (brake lights on, and cruise no go), do they both remain with the incandescent globes back in?
raceteam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSAXON View Post
I stuck the halogens in last night but the problem remains.
I hope they're dual filament bulbs - single filament will cause what you describe.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Is the car a manual?

(There is a reason for this question.)
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, the clutch pedal cancel (if fitted) and the mast cyl switch should be normally closed.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #8
deeppocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSAXON View Post
Hey I have a series 3 xr6 172kW that's got a couple of issues now which have come up in the last few days.

The cruise control used to function fine but now it will only turn on, the speed cannot be set with either + or -. I have replaced the master cylinder brake switch but this hasn't fixed it.

I have read it could be the brake pedal switch, but I only have very novice level knowledge and don't want to stuff around with anything that could make things worse.

Which brings me to the next issue:
I also recently changed the tail lights from halogen to leds. I had these same leds (taken directly from the wreck) set up in my series II XR6 and never had voltage leak issue.

The brakes are continuously lit when the headlights are switched on. Otherwise they operate normally.
I should point out the spoiler lamp operates normally when the headlights are switched on. Would this mean that the brake switch is not the issue?

Possibly dirty or corroded bulb sockets??
Have not tried an ecu reset yet.

Don't really have the cash to spend on an auto electrician
My similar problem was the wiring going to the trailer plug. The wiring was too close to the exhaust & melting it. I've been told it's a common fault. The plug wiring not necessarily the exhaust issue.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
deeppocket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
LPGUTE

if the brake light is out(less resistance in the circuit) it will stop you setting the speed for the cruse control leds(less resistance then a globe thus less resistance in the circuit) can make it do similar thing if a resistor is not added. does it fix the problem when you put every thing back to stock?

2001 AUII Factory LPG Manual XL Styleside Box
High series bonnet
Clear Side Indicator
K&N Air Filter
BAXR6T Snorkle
Low Fronts, Super Low Leafs

LPGUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Refit standard lights and then check stop light fuse and switch