Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
LXL15

Default AU Premium Sound

Hey guys,

I've been searching for an answer for a while and couldn't find anything so I thought I'd just post a new thread:

I currently have the in dash 6 CD stacker and prestige sound system in my AUII. Today, the CD stacker stuffed up for the second time, and I can't figure out how to fix it (have taken it apart like I did the first time and put the CDs in the right places because some had jumped out, to no avail). So I started thinking about how to upgrade to premium sound with the in boot stacker. I have a couple of questions though:

1) The threads I've read on upgrading to an aftermarket headunit all say the premium HU gives crappy sound quality, but how is it compared to a prestige HU (I quite like my current stock setup)?
2) Does the premium setup with in boot stacker come with a dark grey HU or only black?
3) How much should I expect to pay for all of the bits I need to upgrade (including amp/sub, HU, in boot stacker and wiring)?

Cheers for any help.

LXL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Default Re: AU Premium Sound

I personally wouldn't bother with the Premium Sound setup, it was literally the first thing I ripped out and I had the car less than a week. Only Series I had the boot stacker, AU II and III all had 6 CD in-dash which eats CDs like no tomorrow.

Get yourself a good SQ headunit, decent amp to run front + rear, and a nice 10" sub or thereabouts with a dedicated amp for it. I guarantee when you hear the difference it'll be worth every cent.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
LXL15

See I would replace it all but to me the system I have atm is good enough, plus I hate the look of aftermarket headunits in cars older than than a ba. They just don't suit the interior at all and look so out of place (to me anyway).
LXL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Ride
Stay Classy ™

While I agree with you on that one, there are some pretty neat pockets that you can get for the AU that are designed quite well:

Old 09-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

Hey Ride,

thats the same deck i have!
Did you get it working with the steering wheel controls?

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
Ride
Stay Classy ™

I was going to wire in the CAT10 box but I no longer have the audio wire available from the clockspring ... the ESS (gear shifting on steering wheel) uses it instead.
Old 16-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I must be the only guy in Australia with a 100% fully functional AU3 Prestige sound system. Original with no replacement. Even the Aerial motor still works.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

Ride, do you still have the CAT10?

Also Scotty85, i have a fully functional AU1 Premium sound inc all speakers
just liked something better

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
Old 16-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT245
Also Scotty85, i have a fully functional AU1 Premium sound inc all speakers
just liked something better
Im not entirely sure if the boot mounted stacker was known for eating discs. But the in-dash was. And mine still works flawlessly, with burnt discs too
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

the laser assembly in my S1 Stacker was getting on with age and i had the eclipse deck from the valiant

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 17-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Nah never bought it in the first place, I couldn't justify the price at the time when I replaced the head unit so I put it off, 6 months later I fitted the stroker and complete ESS setup which ruled it out completely. All the T series suffered from the same problem.
Old 27-01-2019, 04:59 PM   #12
Scottfairlane99
Starter Motor

Question Re: AU Premium Sound

So has anyone fully figured out which wires are which in the smaller plug? Gonna go the way of using rca's direct from head unit to amp but still want to reconnect steering controls. Also i've never connected the rear cam, apparently need to connect to reverse lamp wire on the shifter, and then again at the reverse lamp wire down the **** end to give it power. So any help would be great.
Scottfairlane99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #13
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottfairlane99 View Post
So has anyone fully figured out which wires are which in the smaller plug? Gonna go the way of using rca's direct from head unit to amp but still want to reconnect steering controls. Also i've never connected the rear cam, apparently need to connect to reverse lamp wire on the shifter, and then again at the reverse lamp wire down the **** end to give it power. So any help would be great.
Aerpro have a number of wiring harness adaptors that allow you to have fully functioning steering wheel controls these days.

I have a reverse camera in my XR8 and it is wired into the reverse light bulb wiring harness. It isn't wired to anywhere else (apart from back to the HU of course).
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #14
Scottfairlane99
Starter Motor

Thanks mate, will check it out.
Scottfairlane99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #15
bmwboi36
Starter Motor