Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #61
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by POELWYK
true but thay handle better then the Trusty old au maybee FG stuff might be a better way to go
No way man! My AU XR handles 10 times better than all the BA's iv driven!

But AU XRs have different suspension, IRS, setup to base models i think
redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #62
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Its been well documented that the AU IRS is a better setup then the BA so that arguement is null and void. And also being lighter over the front wheels in the AU too.
very true.

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #63
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

well sorry i nataly thougth it beeng a newer car it would be better
Old 15-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #64
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
"Only 500HP stock"? So what have you done to get that?

"Big plans and a smaller budget"? Sorry, but you have to get real. You don't get anything for nothing.

"Strokering and crate motors"? Funny word "strokering" ... you actually sound a bit like a Holden bogan and maybe you are one person who could actually get away with a crate LS engine in your XR8. At least your Holden mates will still talk to you.

Now seriously ... the crate motors are not that good. They have nowhere near the longevity or reliability of the little Windsor. Your 5.0 litre, built up properly, will put out a reliable 300kW all day every day and will continue to do it for at least 500,000 km years if you look after it properly. The LS engine WILL NOT. And if you want more you can get easy reliable 350kW with a stroker kit - all it takes is about 20 big ones.

Yes, the LX might seem to "fly" compared to your XR8 but you must realise that it only does it in a straight line and only because it is about 250kg lighter. Start throwing some corners and braking into the mix and the XR8 will drive away from the LX regardless of the weight issue. Point to point on aussie roads I know which I'd rather be driving.

And don't let me start on the "crash test" - an LX will be turned to sardine can standard recyclable material with even a fairly minor shunt. I have been unfortunate enough to have been in two quite serious collisions in AUs and I know where I'd rather be sitting in a worse case event.

WHOA! :togo:

1. the 500hp comment.. I have been told that the stock 5.0 block in my xr8 will only handle 500hp before it starts to crack/split... I dont have 500hp lol

Dont know why i deserved to be called a bogan.. seriously...

I was looking at crate motors in general, not just LS motors...

I plan on giving my engine alot of sh$^ and my current engine is not up to the task, it was a thrash mobile b4 i got it... So i was thinking about getting an alrady built engine...

Settle down mate
Old 15-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #65
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nothing lol

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #66
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au11futura
mate you have realy opened a huge can of worms here this thread exploded so fast with replie's normaly were hanging to see replies in threads we write. lol

at the end of the day i bet garry myers mates laghed when he said hes putting a hemmi in his mussie.
Tell me about it man! :togo: : Very interesting reactions though
Old 15-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #67
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Guys that own them will probably tell you that, but in reality its not.

This is NOT inteneded to start an arguement
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #68
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redauxr8
Yeh I definetly wanna try something different... Maybe an EVO or WRX engine : JOKES!

I have seen a centrifugal charger feeding into a positive displacement supercharger setup on an LS1.. Has anyone tried this with a ford yet? I was thinking about twin turbo, but alas someone has beaten me to it! And like his thread was titled, my block would go BOOM! So i think my first "proper" mod should be an aftermarket alloy block....
There's no reason it wouldn't fit, and bang for buck, might just be the way to go. Not sure how the ford ECU would react to it, but there is so much aftermarket software available for LS1s it's not funny (much wider selection than Ford software options). You'd have to get a custom bellhousing for the transmission/manual box (I wouldn't use a holden one, unless you got the 6M).

I reckon this would be doable for between $5k and $8k - a lot cheaper than a stroker or a good I6T setup.

Personally, I say go for it, and document it, as it may be something others will then use. An engine is an engine - the soul will still be ford though.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #69
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
i think the BA is now the one that is in the ugly duckling catagory as the au was when people were in the e-series, i remember when everyone said the au's were sh#t ugly womens cars (no offense to our lady members) and generaly a bad car 10 years down the line the Au has proven itself over and over again.

Give the ba some time, although it might never as the FG is out and better than ever ford have made a great car awsome.

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
Old 15-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #70
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
There's no reason it wouldn't fit, and bang for buck, might just be the way to go. Not sure how the ford ECU would react to it, but there is so much aftermarket software available for LS1s it's not funny (much wider selection than Ford software options). You'd have to get a custom bellhousing for the transmission/manual box (I wouldn't use a holden one, unless you got the 6M).

I reckon this would be doable for between $5k and $8k - a lot cheaper than a stroker or a good I6T setup.

Personally, I say go for it, and document it, as it may be something others will then use. An engine is an engine - the soul will still be ford though.

Are all the LS engines the same size? ls1,ls2etc
Old 15-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #71
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

Now seriously ... the crate motors are not that good. They have nowhere near the longevity or reliability of the little Windsor. Your 5.0 litre, built up properly, will put out a reliable 300kW all day every day and will continue to do it for at least 500,000 km years if you look after it properly. The LS engine WILL NOT. And if you want more you can get easy reliable 350kW with a stroker kit - all it takes is about 20 big ones.

Yes, the LX might seem to "fly" compared to your XR8 but you must realise that it only does it in a straight line and only because it is about 250kg lighter. Start throwing some corners and braking into the mix and the XR8 will drive away from the LX regardless of the weight issue. Point to point on aussie roads I know which I'd rather be driving.

And don't let me start on the "crash test" - an LX will be turned to sardine can standard recyclable material with even a fairly minor shunt. I have been unfortunate enough to have been in two quite serious collisions in AUs and I know where I'd rather be sitting in a worse case event.
this post makes no sense.
you dont know the life span of an LS motor.

saving 250kg will aid in acceleration and change of direction.

crash test: its still an AU the donk wont change a thing.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #72
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
"Only 500HP stock"? So what have you done to get that?

"Big plans and a smaller budget"? Sorry, but you have to get real. You don't get anything for nothing.

"Strokering and crate motors"? Funny word "strokering" ... you actually sound a bit like a Holden bogan and maybe you are one person who could actually get away with a crate LS engine in your XR8. At least your Holden mates will still talk to you.

This man knows his stuff.

If you want a nose heavy pig that is only good for straight lines go a 5.4. If you have deep pockets and are 3/4 crazy go a 4.6 like CAT600. If you want to go a tries and tested route and have a bit of dosh and know someone who is known to be able to build a Windsor then go the 347.

If you want something a little different then may I suggest a low comp blown 331 stroker.

For the costs and hassle involved in getting an LS engine into the AU I personally would go the blown 331.

On another note some of the posts in here that are basically just waste of bandwidth rubbish disappoint me. Some here really need to have a little think and grow up. Abusing a bloke just because he has a different idea to the norm is not what car modding is about IMO. If it weren't for the guys that ask the questions and try something different we'd all be driving white Camry's and nothing would ever change.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #73
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Are all the LS engines the same size? ls1,ls2etc
yes they are
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #74
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
Tell me about it man! :togo: : Very interesting reactions though
yeh and its ongoing, ive never seen this on the forum before good on ya mate i thing this will last for a few more days yet. lol

ENVI BA XR6T
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
Old 15-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #75
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

Quote:
Guys that own them will probably tell you that, but in reality its not.

This is NOT inteneded to start an arguement
no fight from me all i can do is agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by au11futura
i think the BA is now the one that is in the ugly duckling catagory as the au was when people were in the e-series, i remember when everyone said the au's were sh#t ugly womens cars (no offense to our lady members) and generaly a bad car 10 years down the line the Au has proven itself over and over again.

Give the ba some time, although it might never as the FG is out and better than ever ford have made a great car awsome.

lol ugly duck lol the au still cops that it anoys me so much :

but i love them thats why i have one :P

i was thinking of replaceing my Power steering rack with a BA or bf one to improve the handaling and new say bars and other things is the BA BF poer steering rack on the ba /bf better then the au??
Old 15-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #76
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

honestly i would love to see somebody give it a go, i think it's definitely doable and i think youd be able to do it for less than it would cost for a 347
for reliability, i dont think anyone is going to question the windsor over the ls1 but who says he is going to clock up the kays like that? its his car and it would take some balls to go through with a project like that, whether you think the money is better spent elsewhere is irrelevant, the AU is an 11 year old car and i am glad people are still having new ideas for it, whilst its not something i would ever do i would love to see it attempted out of sheer curiosity
also frd906, you dont want to start arguments about peoples choices with regards to their cars because youve annoyed more than enough people on these forums. ever notice that people tend to argue with you far more than others? there is a reason for this

redauxr8, i doubt you will go through with this but hey its an idea and i think it should be open for discussion and not abuse
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #77
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
no fight from me all i can do is agree

lol ugly duck lol the au still cops that it anoys me so much :

but i love them thats why i have one :P

i was thinking of replaceing my Power steering rack with a BA or bf one to improve the handaling and new say bars and other things is the BA BF poer steering rack on the ba /bf better then the au??
No wats wrong with u! You'l be turning ur car into a BA/F you'l lose ur soul!(Sarcasm)

But seriously, im interested in this to? Anyone know?
Old 15-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #78
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
If it weren't for the guys that ask the questions and try something different we'd all be driving white Camry's and nothing would ever change.
As i posted in my post so very true
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 15-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #79
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic

redauxr8, i doubt you will go through with this but hey its an idea and i think it should be open for discussion and not abuse
You reckon! I wouldn't know where to begin after this haha
Old 15-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #80
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
You reckon! I wouldn't know where to begin after this haha
BOSS5.0 echoes from the corner : "BOSS5.0"
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 15-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #81
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
BOSS5.0 echoes from the corner : "BOSS5.0"
Ahhh voices in my head..... want me to do terrible....evil things.... need guidance....must...find....CAT600...Terminator build thread!
Old 15-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #82
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Yes, the LX might seem to "fly" compared to your XR8 but you must realise that it only does it in a straight line and only because it is about 250kg lighter.
I dont know about that 250kg comment. I dont think the VT onwards SS weighed 1500kg. It all depends on what LS engine your talking about too. The original 220-225 LS1s are on par with the old 220 windsor.

Back to the OP. If your a Ford man, dont put an LS engine in there. You would never hear the end of it.
Some options -
Aftermarket block
Sourcing a 351 windsor (stronger) from the states
Boss conversion. Or 4.6.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #83
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have thought about dropping the LS into my AU XR too...

Once I have the available funds, there is no doubt that I will do it too.

Honestly, I prefer the sound of the LS over the Boss...