Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #31
EATHSV
Oo---oO

Default Re: What's your favorite AU XR colour?

1- Winter White
2- Liquid Silver
3- Congo Green

Not a fan of Blueprint except on a Tseries

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #32
big_mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1- Meteorite
2- Silhouette
3- Narooma

I have owned 3 AU3 XR8's, each in one of the above colours. Loved all 3 of them. Also like Winter White too. And Blueprint. Come to think of it, I reckon the AU looks good no matter what colour it is!
big_mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #33
XR27
Tickford XR8
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_mik
1- Meteorite
2- Silhouette
3- Narooma

I have owned 3 AU3 XR8's, each in one of the above colours. Loved all 3 of them. Also like Winter White too. And Blueprint. Come to think of it, I reckon the AU looks good no matter what colour it is!
The more I look at all the colours, The more I like them all.
I think AU's have a excellent range of colours.

Has anyone got a photo of an AU XR in Monsoon? I have found one
Of an Ts 50, but I would like to see it in a AU XR
XR27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #34
hales231271

My favorite color is Monsoon only because my xr8 is this color.
Rgds
Dazza
hales231271 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #35
hales231271

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr 27
The more I look at all the colours, The more I like them all.
I think AU's have a excellent range of colours.

Here you go.

Cheers
Dazza
hales231271 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #36
GUTLES
Adam.

I don't think there was a bad colour on the AU's, they all still look good.

My favourites are:
Congo Green - my boss had an AU2 XR6 Ute this colour, always looked great.
Meteorite - I had an AU2 Wagon this colour & love XR's in it.
Blueprint - looks better on AU XR's then BA's.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #37
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I like appreciate most of the colours that were available on the AU XR's, except Liquid Silver for reason, just seemed to plain for the XR. Each colour embued a different character. I like the rarity of Oxford green on the series one, the classiness of Monsoon blue and Meteorite and the and classic ford corporate blue, Galaxy. But I've always had a thing for a AU III XR6 VCT sedan with Tickford body kit in Venom red
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #38
b2tf
not here much anymore

Maybe a little off the original topic but there are a few colours that were released after AU that I think would have looked great on them. Would have loved to have seen an AU in Ego (infact I have seen an XR8 ute resprayed in this colour and it looked great), Phantom, Mandarin and Velvet.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #39
AlfaRomeoGTV6
T Series Club Member #041

Too easy for me !!! Blueprint.

2002 T3 TE50 Build #099 Winter White/Blue & Black

AlfaRomeoGTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #40
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Id luved to have seen an AU XR in Menace, Dash, Bionic and Rapid.. Especially Dash.

Ego is Zzzzz, boaring and common as muck.. You see it everywhere on BF's, BF2's and FG's.. Just like Blueprint was common in BA XR's, but at least Blueprint was only available to XR's and FPV's unlike Ego which was on everything..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #41
AlfaRomeoGTV6
T Series Club Member #041

Is the colour of this AU XR Citric Acid ?

2002 T3 TE50 Build #099 Winter White/Blue & Black

Last edited by AlfaRomeoGTV6; 09-04-2012 at 12:03 AM.
AlfaRomeoGTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #42
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRomeoGTV6
Is the colour of this AU XR Citric Acid ?
Nup, is a custom colour for that car done by PPG. That's the Sony Xplod AU2 XR8 that Herrods did a lot of work on, it ran a Motec system which meant it was unable to be registered. Before this one Sony used a red AU1 XR8 for show duties and I think there may have been a blue one for a while too.

This yellow one used to live up here in Wagga after it was sold but havent seen it for a long time now.

Very, very nice bit of gear.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #43
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr 27

Monsoon was the rarest colour on the XR's, but it was used on the base models also.

I love it, but it is tough to keep clean. When it is though, it is stunning! These 2 shots show the pearl, it goes from Black to really Blue. Amazing colour!

MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #44
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Default I'm gunna re paint my XR6...which colour?

I've got an XR6 sedan and an SR wagon. I'm planning on keeping the wagon for 20 years. The XR6 won't be around that long.
The wagon is my work vehicle and was salvaged from the scrap heap.
The XR6 is my private car. It's live axle, leather interior, low km and in nice condition but it's been f*cked with, so I'll be improving it as a non original. Will have a manual conversion with a VCT engine. May also do some performance upgrades. Have picked up a havoc? bumper and grill so will also paint that up with a no spoiler boot lid for a change of scenery if I can be bothered.

I will need to respray both of them. Will also be replacing engines in both. It makes sense for them to be the same colour...I think.
Have been tossing up for a while which colour? I have sprayed cars a long time ago...wasn't very good at it...but I think I can do better now. However I will be trying to keep it simple.
I am interested in any opinions of what others might do in my situation;

Liquid Silver;
Both cars are currently silver. So it makes sense to keep them the same colour? Less work stripping preparing and painting all the other parts. I like the colour. It's a classy colour. Maybe a little bland. Thermally efficient too (keeps the car cooler). However being a metallic that will be harder for me to spray? I also doubt I would be able to match the current colours, so may as well respray the full car.

Winter White;
I do like white. It is thermally efficient. Also easier for me to paint. I could just go an enamel?
I especially like it in a wagon. Not so sure on white in an XR6 though. Feels a bit insipid to me.

Silhouette (black with a blueish tinge);
I don't like black because it gets too hot and hard to keep clean. However this car is going to be garaged and not driven much anyway.
I've got a manual wreck in this colour and it just looks more menacing than my silver one. Almost like this design is meant to be a dark colour.
Not sure how I'd go spraying a metallic black? Maybe just an enamel black would look the same?

Venom Red (I am partial to the red in an XR...not thermally efficient though).

Then there's the host of other colours...Galaxy Blue...Congo Green...Blueprint...Meteorite...Narooma...Monsoon.
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #45
asimplelife
Donating Member2

PS - apologies for the "over-use" of the words "thermally efficient"
Old 17-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #46
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: I'm gunna re paint my XR6...which colour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
I've got an XR6 sedan and an SR wagon. I'm planning on keeping the wagon for 20 years. The XR6 won't be around that long.
The wagon is my work vehicle and was salvaged from the scrap heap.
The XR6 is my private car. It's live axle, leather interior, low km and in nice condition but it's been f*cked with, so I'll be improving it as a non original. Will have a manual conversion with a VCT engine. May also do some performance upgrades. Have picked up a havoc? bumper and grill so will also paint that up with a no spoiler boot lid for a change of scenery if I can be bothered.

I will need to respray both of them. Will also be replacing engines in both. It makes sense for them to be the same colour...I think.
Have been tossing up for a while which colour? I have sprayed cars a long time ago...wasn't very good at it...but I think I can do better now. However I will be trying to keep it simple.
I am interested in any opinions of what others might do in my situation;

Liquid Silver;
Both cars are currently silver. So it makes sense to keep them the same colour? Less work stripping preparing and painting all the other parts. I like the colour. It's a classy colour. Maybe a little bland. Thermally efficient too (keeps the car cooler). However being a metallic that will be harder for me to spray? I also doubt I would be able to match the current colours, so may as well respray the full car.

Winter White;
I do like white. It is thermally efficient. Also easier for me to paint. I could just go an enamel?
I especially like it in a wagon. Not so sure on white in an XR6 though. Feels a bit insipid to me.

Silhouette (black with a blueish tinge);
I don't like black because it gets too hot and hard to keep clean. However this car is going to be garaged and not driven much anyway.
I've got a manual wreck in this colour and it just looks more menacing than my silver one. Almost like this design is meant to be a dark colour.
Not sure how I'd go spraying a metallic black? Maybe just an enamel black would look the same?

Venom Red (I am partial to the red in an XR...not thermally efficient though).

Then there's the host of other colours...Galaxy Blue...Congo Green...Blueprint...Meteorite...Narooma...Monsoon.
My AU ll Futura is liquid silver and badly requiring a respray.. Although the clear is not peeling other than on the front bar ..she's got that dull faded look . I've tried different polishes ,de oxidisers , claybar etc but she just won't retain a shine . Guessing it's UV damage from a bulk of the time in weather . Just can't afford anything up to 8K to restore paint to former glory and have no skills to try doing myself just yet .

All I do now is regular waxing to try and keep her protected better and minimise further deterioration. One day I'd like to do more . She drives like new though and is an absolute peach to potter around in . Never cost me anything much to maintain mechanically since I bought her in 2003 .

Liquid Silver is a bitch so I've been told to panel repair match but guessing a full respray would not be an issue ..If you do change the colour and do it yourself just make sure you notify the rego mob because they don't like not knowing as my Dad found out one time ..I reckon you already knew that of course ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2019, 09:31 PM   #47
asimplelife
Donating Member2

Yes, that dull faded look is what I am getting on the roof and bonnet. It's only been this last 12 months since I had it. I've tried a quick polish but it didn't make much difference. Has spent the summer out in full sun. It wasn't garaged where I bought it from but it was parked in a really tree covered street, so probably avoided much of the sun it has got full blast this year.
And I only recently checked the VicRoads requirements. With change of paint colour I only have to ring them up to advise and update the records.
But the website doesn't tell me what to do for an auto to manual conversion so I'll need to call them. For engines it says if it was an option to the make/model then you can just get it certified by a mechanic. Hopefully auto to manual will be the same process.