Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #31
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Help please: What’s wrong getting a BA over an AU?

it's a car yard I'm sure he has room to move for no trade

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #32
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I like this one but its to rich for me...
Grey XR6
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #33
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes I saw that one but didn't post it because
  1. in Qld
  2. more Ks
  3. too expensive for what it is by a long way
  4. the XR8 was leather trim this was cloth better overall value on the 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
I like this one but its to rich for me...
Grey XR6
UK

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

This user likes this post:
Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #34
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I agree with all your valid pointsm I do like grey XR6's. The red rebel looks greta from behind, thats why I got the Rebel rear for my AUII.
Uk
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #35
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

What do you guys think about this TE50 on gumtree? Seem way to cheap to me

UK
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #36
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks ok yes it's cheap but bear in mind it comes with a blue slip so add another $1000 for rego . even if you need to spend another $1000 to fix up a few things it's still reasonable value

Rides:

Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #37
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'd go the XR over the TE50. Most will disagree with me but for ease of sourcing parts, general condition and cost, that red XR8 has it for me.

If V8 is where you're looking I would definitely stick to AU. Too many little issues with BA's both XR and non XR V8 that can add up to big repair bills. I have owned a BOSS engine but would probably not buy another one unless it was covered by warranty, which for obvious reasons it wouldn't be! Windsors are a well proven (over 40 years of use in various forms) reliable engine that are well supported in the aftermarket so parts are easy. Granted the modulars have the edge in terms of power, but there's so many tradeoffs to me it just isn't worth it.

........and you can't beat the sound of a Windsor....
Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #38
zx10

^^^^^ this! The windsor just sounds angry. Like it knows ford dumped it. I love the sound of my 220. I have owned a 290 and it didnt compare. Sure it was quicker but I enjoy the 220 more.

AU3 XR8 sedan - Manual, Leather, Momo wheel/gear knob
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #39
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd agree, the XR8 is a nwer car with less Ks and is registered, it also has leather interior ( a plus or a minus depnding on preference) in general the XR8 looks a cleaner car. but the TE is of course a rarer car and maybe a bit of a collectable car in the future.
My opinion? both are nice cars but if I were laying down the cash the XR8 would win hands down
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
I'd go the XR over the TE50. Most will disagree with me but for ease of sourcing parts, general condition and cost, that red XR8 has it for me.

If V8 is where you're looking I would definitely stick to AU. Too many little issues with BA's both XR and non XR V8 that can add up to big repair bills. I have owned a BOSS engine but would probably not buy another one unless it was covered by warranty, which for obvious reasons it wouldn't be! Windsors are a well proven (over 40 years of use in various forms) reliable engine that are well supported in the aftermarket so parts are easy. Granted the modulars have the edge in terms of power, but there's so many tradeoffs to me it just isn't worth it.

........and you can't beat the sound of a Windsor....

Rides:

Old 03-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #40
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

I have a AU and a BF in the stable. The BF is light years ahead of the AU in every single way. AU is embarrassingly slow (I get smashed by hairdresser cars every day) , unrefined and inefficient in comparison. It was made for another era. BA/F whilst not current, more resembles a car made for this century as far as refinement and handling are concerned. AU is more like a rickshaw. The Barra engine is much sweeter than the wheezy lump in the AU. Its much much harder to find a good AU these days. Most are knackered and ready for the crushers. Plenty of nice clean BA's around (plenty of rubbish too mind you).

AU has more character. I can't bring myself to say better looking. They're frakin ugly as a crushed crab, but I have a soft spot for them. I like them both but for different reasons. AU feels a little stronger and much much less to go wrong with it, just as you;d expect from a rickshaw :-)
Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #41
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

I have seen a few ads now saying "EX COP car" Should I /we stay away from Ex COp cars? I assume the boys in Blue would drive them FAST.
UK
Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #42
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Another factor Ken that I do not believe has been brought up is weight. B series are a much heavier car. Without knowing the exact fuel economies (depending on what you buy of course), a heavier car will of course cost more to run on average - especially in your loverly Sydney traffic!

Cheers and good luck with your decision.
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #43
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

BA/BF disadvantages:
Fly by wire throttle (damn infuriating to me, and a deal breaker)
Heavier
Hard Plastics interior
Unnecessarily heavy steering
IRS
XT/Futura look very, very plain and rather dated

BA advantages:
More accepted looks, especially interior
Nice looking cars in XR/BFII/Ghia guise
Far more refined ride and seating
ICC is cool
Old 03-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #44
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6T0Y View Post
I don't see why people bring up the fly by wire so much. Going from an EL, to the current BA, I really don't see what the fuss is about. Maybe when you first get into one? It's like ANY car, no matter if it's an EA-FG. If you are used to an AU, you WILL find fault with all other models. It's just what happens. I didn't like the BA when I FIRST got it. Now I would NOT go back or forward for that matter. Give one a chance, I'm sure you would be surprised. Just don't go the povvo pack one though
This! I was die hard E-series fan for years (not much different than AU) and would hang crap on BA/F like no tomorow. After a few thousand kms worth of road trips in a mates BA it completely changed my opinion on them.

People like what they are use to and get slightly biased toward that.
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #45
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i love my AU , i do like the look of the b series much better, interior as well, but the Au for me has some things going for it, no throttle by wire for one thing, the Au is a bit simpler which i like, handles like its on rails, and it is a tuff old thing.
That said , i nearly weakened and bought a b series fairlane 220 because i wanted the luxo v8....... then went back looking at Au xr8 which i should have bought in the first place cos that is what i really wanted, but thought of fuel savings ,as it turns out the v8 is pretty good on juice in the au's any way.
i would say if you want a b series go for it, not as good in some ways better in others.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #46
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

I think I'm not worried about resale (in 4-5 years time) anymore (or the wife ). Like must guys (and gals) on the forum you wither like the look of Aus or you don't, I like them (with my mods). So I reckon I'll still try mainly for an AU over a BA (not BF etc). Just looking for somthing good around the $6k mark, under 230k's on the clock, an XR6/8, fairmont and/or Fairlane, with l
UKeather, (not that I'm fussy or anytihng )
Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #47
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

A nice Sportsman is what you're after UK, not that I'm biased or anything.

Personally I'd take the blue one if for no other reason than the headlights are still clear unlike the silver one which generally means it hasn't spent it's life out in the weather.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Last edited by Bushbasher; 03-08-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #48
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

boom.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/iluka...ell/1013382856

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #49
zx10

http://m.gumtree.com.au/2000-ford-fa...51047#fairlane

Saw this today out for a drive. If only the mrs would let me buy more cars.

AU3 XR8 sedan - Manual, Leather, Momo wheel/gear knob
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #50
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantoAU View Post

^^^^^^^^^^

Nice car but it don't have the presence or the comfy Howe leather LTD seats of the Sportsman

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #51
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

Thread needs to be renamed "Buy Ken an AU"

ps: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/river...sr-/1024249776

Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #52
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=2&sdmvc=1

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #53
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

Ok, last one.

edit: te50 been posted already. seriously, get it though.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #54
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a really nice TE50 today, blue clean and straight with L plates on it
no way I would put a learner in a nice car like that, too hard to replace ( the car not the learner )

Rides:

Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #55
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6T0Y View Post
Give one a chance, I'm sure you would be surprised. Just don't go the povvo pack one though
Back in the day, even though I loved AU XRs I was quite excited by the BA's launch and I couldn't wait until the day I could afford an XR6T.

Then I drove a BA2 XR6 and it destroyed my excitement for B-Series. I thought to myself "E-Series are the only Falcons worth having if the newer stuff drives like this"

A couple of years later I drove my mate's bog stock AU2 Forte. A few weeks later I picked up my AU2 XR8.

Irrespective of the upgrades and jewellery on the sports/luxury models, the base model has to have the basics right, for the whole range to shine.

Epilogue: I ended up driving a (very quick) modded BF XR6T later on, I regret nothing, AU FTW.

Re: your decision, Uncle Ken: If the car (BA-BF) suits your needs, is within your budget, is in good condition, and you like the way it drives...why not? At least test drive one to see if you like it and go from there.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #56
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Awww Ken, you have to buy this car. It's like the hot chick that the rest of us can't pick up because we're taken, but you're single and can totally hit that!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #57
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Thread needs to be renamed "Buy Ken an AU"

ps: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/river...sr-/1024249776
If someone posts a car I end up buying I'll buy them a case of beer !!!
Thanks for the links guys. Not allowed to get the same colour as before
So the 2002 Ford Fairlane AU II Sportsman Ghia I like but colour the same
haven't seen the 2002 Ford Fairlane AU II Ghia before. Have not been looking at standard AUs as that is what I had before and looking for a change.
Come on guys a case of beer awaits
UK
Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #58
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

So Ken, what colour are you not allowed to have?

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #59
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

After looking again at the silver Sportsman it may just be that the headlights are fogged up from condensation after a wash. If that's the case, and it's a common problem, you can just pull them out and pull them apart (a heat gun and some gentle persuasion will work here) and clean them up inside and reseal them. I had to do that with mine.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #60
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
So Ken, what colour are you not allowed to have?
Colours not allowed () but seriously:
White
Black
Burgundy (the colour of my sons AU)
Moonson Blue
Orange
UK