Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 13-04-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Default Project Casper AU / G&D – A New Evolution

Well, the data is back from this first stage of the project and it’s looking good. In fact, if you drive the car, the changes are remarkable to say the least. In this story the dyno doesn’t tell all. Not even close. The change will only truly show on the track.

So what is the story?
The story is simple; I want to make my car the best it can be. That does not just mean fast ET’s alone, that is almost a side effect. What I wanted was to make it a reliable, drivable and a very quick “streeter”. Something I can take to the track, race all night with good ET’s and without it missing a beat. Something I can give to my wife and know she could easily drive to the shops and back safely and reliably while I could do the same trip destroying the rear tyres with the same reliability if I chose. Something that is beyond just another modified Falcon running good times. It has to run GREAT times (in the end) but at no cost to reliability or drivability. To do this you need a car that is done right from the beginning. No patchwork modifications. Shortcuts like dumping out weight, removing suspension components and basically making it a “track only” car is not an option. It’s a road car first and foremost and has to stay that way.
So what was done and why?

The first thing that was done was Glenn at G&D and I discussed exactly what I wanted and what was achievable. Before we even started I wanted a stage by stage buildup, from scratch, to get to what we wanted. The order of modifications by stage was Glenn’s job and I have, to a large extent, deferred the product and order of work to G&D’s control. This is not to say I don’t know or have a say in it, I simply am letting them follow the “roadmap” we first set out. Professional, planned and precise. This is what they do best and I am very happy to let them do it.

Anyhow, this stage of modifications was simply to create the base on which to build. All the “usual” modifications were looked at and discussed. The airbox (as everyone already knows) was the first thing to go. A smallish pod stuffed into a stock airbox with PVC pipe feeding it air is as far away from “intelligently engineered” as you could expect. It had to go, and did, within a few days it was tested, replaced and the results shown (and controversial to say the least). In doing so we also found potential to get even more power from it but that’s for another time.

The next modification was to do a full flash edit to replace the aging Chiptorque. While the Chiptorque did its job well (and will continue to work on in another car on the Forums) it was simply outdated. Off the shelf tune, difficult to get custom tuned and “visible” if looked for, it was outclassed in every way by the edit. Therefore we made the decision to edit the car and see what was there.
What we found was that the car didn’t really want to respond all that well (in fact hardly at all). It seemed to reach a limit and then go no further, like it was restricted. We took a guess it may be the exhaust.

So the exhaust came off next and was replaced by a set of the new design Pacemaker 4480’s. This new design certainly seems to have addressed the VCT issues of the past and, with the larger pipe size, higher rpms are not restricted.
Of course, with the removal of the headers the different lengths from the old headers to the new left a bit of a gap. A big gap actually. Initially we were just going to flange in a collector pipe but, in keeping with everything else (and knowing we were going to replace the muffler and cat anyhow) it was felt a “mix and match” exhaust wasn’t going to cut it. So we replaced the entire thing.. more times than I can remember. First set was a great set with all the right specs but, when fitted, didn’t quite line up to tolerances we wanted. Off it came, back it went and in went a different setup which was “almost but not quite” as well So the only option left was to get one fabricated to G&D’s own specifications and that’s exactly what we did. Basically the same sort of setup a the regular G&D cat back for I6’s but up a few notches in maximizing performance (I’ll let Glenn explain it, he’s better at that stuff) The whole exhaust from the collector back was designed to maximize the flow of exhaust gases at high rpm. The muffler and cat on this new G&D system is the same, maximized for high rpm flow of gasses.
So with a totally new exhaust system the edit was then totally retuned to suit the new setup and the gains were there again. The exhaust suited the application better, simple as that.

Final result was 136.2rwkw.

On the dyno I wanted as close to an unopened 145rwkw as possible. That’s right, it’s still unopened. No cam, no adjustments to cam timing, nothing. The rocker cover remained in place. In hind sight is probably was a little much to ask, as Glenn had pointed out from the start, and I am very happy with 136.2rwkw as a good base to continue with. Strangely enough if the car still had a standard converter or was a manual the 145+rwkw mark unopened was their for the taking as far as we can tell. The Histall absorbs major rwkw (probably close to 10rwkw over the stock converter) however that’s the price you pay for a great launch off the line.
So in the end the car rolled into the G&D workshop with 119rwkw (probably closer to 125rwkw if the Chiptorque chip had been left in) and left with 136.2rwkw. No NEW modifications were done, we simply updated the existing ones with newer, better performing items. Airbox to replace the “pod in a box”, Edit to replace the Chiptorque and Pacemaker 4480’s, hiflow metallic cat and full custom G&D 2.5”/3” exhaust to replace the race headers, hiflow ceramic cat and redback 2.5” exhaust. End result is a considerable 11.2rwkw improvement over the estimated 125rwkw it started with. 136.2rwkw on a stock cam with the histalled auto.. and a torque figure that is closer to what some V8’s have, really is a credit to G&D’s product and tuning.

This sort of improvement may not seem like all that much but as I said, the difference cant be shown on the dyno as well as it can be felt. While starting off at similar rwkw at around 3500rpm, the power now comes on VERY hard and fast all the way to 5800rpm where the auto is now changing. This immediately puts the car into the powerband for the next gear and it climbs at a fantastic rate as well. More importantly the torque figures are massively improved now. While peak torque in the old setup ah peaked and started a slide back down the new setup is still climbing to a much higher level, stabilizing and then dropping off at a similar rate but MUCH later in the power band. The difference is “feel” is poles apart. Where it used to feel like it was just losing all the power up top, it now just keeps wanting to power through to the 5800rpm change point with no loss of urgency .

Anyhow, as I have said, this is just stage 1 and is simply to get the car into a position to move forward again, a New Evolution so to speak. Soon enough we’ll go the next step and try to get stage 2 done before the end of winter. Stage 3? Well, that’s still a little way away but give it time, it will happen. Until then I’m just going to go have some fun with her.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 13-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Casper, stage one sounds great, are there any indications as to the number of planed stages and what each stage will cover ? ( just basic over view as i know its tricky working with changing papramaters )
Old 13-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Top notch write up there Casper, anychance of an ET Slip with the newer upgrades done in the near future?
:sm_headba
Old 13-04-2006, 09:18 PM   #4
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome news Casper!!!! Just to see the radical difference with 'improvements' in equipment rather than as you say 'modifications'. This should be of great interest to other AU owners that if you want more power, improve what you have before you add on!!
Old 13-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #5
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

sounds good mate; hows the zorst note sound with the new headers ?
+are you up for the 20th @ Heathcote or are we going have to wait for slips..??
noesy bugger arnt I :
Whoosha

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Old 13-04-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Congats Casper, it's a good result & buy the sound of things you more than happy with it. Now lets see what it can do on the track.
Old 13-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Heathcote on the 20th is a certainty.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 13-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Seeing the changes that were made, to end up with a base figure of 136.2rwkw is fantastic!! That's a result of not only their products, but their knowledge and tireless effort. If not for the converter, the 145rwkw would have easily been reached no doubt about it and regardless of the final number, it sounds very strong. Looking at the dyno sheet, there's a fair improvement on aswell. It's awesome to see their work and to see what they're doing for the I6. Have fun with it Shane!

I must say you've done better than me with your planning. Yes, I too had a step 1, 2 & 3 plan but somehow it just all got rolled in to one (well almost) lol.

Congratulations on the new and improved black beast

And well done to G&D!
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~

Last edited by FRDGAL; 13-04-2006 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Ooops spelling
Old 13-04-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
The Monty
Just slidin'

Good work guys. I just hope no figure bashers come on here and try and dispute what has been laid out. Just out of curiosoty, do you know around about how much torque there is after these mods?
Old 13-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #10
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

A great result, G & D really do an awesome job.
Old 13-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #11
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

136 genuine kws and the stall converter should give you a 14.9.Good luck!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 13-04-2006, 10:11 PM   #12
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDGAL_AU6
I must say you've done better than me with your planning. Yes, I too had a step 1, 2 & 3 plan but somehow it just all got rolled in to one (well almost) lol.

Congratulations on the new and improved black beast

And well done to G&D!
must be a girl thing I want it all + I want it now : :eclipsee_ :newangel:

Quote:
Old 13-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #13
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

I'm actually not surprised by the improvements, given your facial expression at the KK's when Whoosha had you going about the XR when you rang him. Good to see progress though, and full credits to G&D.

Now if only us Californians can convince you to run it at WSID for some REAL ET's.....
Old 13-04-2006, 10:46 PM   #14
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
I'm actually not surprised by the improvements, given your facial expression at the KK's when Whoosha had you going about the XR when you rang him. Good to see progress though, and full credits to G&D.

Now if only us Californians can convince you to run it at WSID for some REAL ET's.....
MMM ... road trip.... yeah bring it on out: out:

Quote:
Old 13-04-2006, 10:53 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Awesome news. I like the fact that you still want it to be a real world drivable car, that it after all where we do the most kays.

I'm glad you're really happy with it, and the service you got at G&D. They are going to be very, very busy I can see that clearly! And so they should!

Great write up too, clear and consise, with the stated aims and rationale for them. I look forward to the stages to come, I'm sure you are too. In fact, it sounds like G&D are as well!

Look forward to seeing it and hopefully a ride in the passenger seat! I may have to come over soon to get those old Futura rims! :

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 13-04-2006, 11:09 PM   #16
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Glad all went well Casper....

You could have bloody well stuck around for a bit and taken me for a spin......How rude!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear it pulls real hard through the Middle and sounds a treat too!!!!

I did inform you after tyre testing that I found your tyres would no longer be capable of maintaining the correct friction with the road...

Excessive amounts of low friction at high revolutions may cause smoke. This is not harmfull to your physical Health how ever it may further deminish the health of your back balance.

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT