Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
LZA
Starter Motor

Default Indicator stalk not cancelling - AU falcon

after having the front end aligned the indicator stalk is not self cancelling.
l took the steering wheel off and l cant see how the steering column can cancel the indicator switch as there is no cam lobe or pins on the column which would hit the indicator stalk to self cancel. clearly something is missing - does anyone have a diagram of an AU self cancelling set up?
would appreciate some advice on this one, not sure what is missing
cheers,
Laurence

LZA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it was working before the alignment, i would be taking it back.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
THR347

Sounds like a stuffed clock spring in the steering wheel boss, but if it happened before taking the steering wheel off it doesn't add up.. like mik said, take it back.
THR347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
LZA
Starter Motor

It appears that the clockspring is missing ! l presume that the clockspring also does the self cancel on the indicator stalk ? something is missing but l am not sure what it is.
Laurence
Old 21-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
THR347

yes that's right the clock spring cancels your indicator signal and flicks the indicator stalk back into the neutral position. You will have to source a new clock spring but i'm not sure if that's an easy fix.. A similar scenario happened in an old car of mine when i changed the steering wheel and it was gonna cost me a packet to repair supposedly.. I just lived with cancelling the indicator manually. All the best.
THR347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
peterban
AULTD

Have a look at this thread at it has a picture of what should be under your steering wheel.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...t=clock+spring

Not sure whether this cancels your indicators or not.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
kcej
2mny projects 2 lttl time

Default Clockspring

My first reaction was "clockspring has nothing to do with cancelling blinkers"

BUT IT DOES......

Back side of clockspring has two ridges that cancel the blinker mechanism

I'll post pictures in next two minutes

Last edited by kcej; 21-02-2009 at 05:54 PM.
kcej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
kcej

Default heres pics

first pic is with clockspring still on steering shaft

next pic has clockspring off shaft, hanging down so back shows, and lets you see all of blinker cancelling gear underneath

Like I said my first reaction was that clockspring has no connection, but contained within the black plastic case of the rear of the clockspring, is the plastic cam that grips the steering shaft and has plastic lugs that cancel the blinkers

Hope this helps
Old 22-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
LZA
Starter Motor

Thanks kcej,
those pictures are just what l needed - went to the wrecker and got new clock spring for $71 and now all is working perfectly.
thanks again,
Laurence
Old 16-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
XB2DrSteve

I notice on the picture that it has a decal that says "To rotate depress metal hub lock" What does this mean. I do have the need to rotate mine and I can not work out how to do it?
XB2DrSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
kcej

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB2DrSteve
I notice on the picture that it has a decal that says "To rotate depress metal hub lock" What does this mean. I do have the need to rotate mine and I can not work out how to do it?
OK........looked at it and when the clockspring is off the shaft, theres a 3mm wide strip of metal on the inside of centre hole
I noticed that if you depress it, it seems to let the centre "hub" rotate freely from the rest of "case", in other words, it allows you to put an extra turn of tension on the spring

Hope this helps