Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #271
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Bloody oath, i remember one time at Castle Hill Tav (well... i dont 'remember' it as such, but my ATM transaction history shows it..)

I met these 2 guys from the same part of New Zealand as a mate of mine and i'm like MAD LETS HAVE SHOTS. I spent $420, lol.. Pretty proud tho, they gave up before i did Chartreusse, GET IT INTA YA

Memories.. Back when the tav was actually half decent on a Thursday night, i had a 9am uni class too.. threw up on the bus to the city, at uni, in a 7-11 type thing and on the bus home.. NOW THATS DEDICATION

You know what, i think im going to take ur advice, i'll just get the exhaust fixed and save the other money for the supercharger.

Hopefully i will hear good reports about it between now and then
ahahah the good old tav. i havnt been since april lol when i asked out my now ex : what a night that was
Old 12-12-2007, 10:08 PM   #272
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Bloody oath, i remember one time at Castle Hill Tav (well... i dont 'remember' it as such, but my ATM transaction history shows it..)

I met these 2 guys from the same part of New Zealand as a mate of mine and i'm like MAD LETS HAVE SHOTS. I spent $420, lol..

HAHAHA good work..

I spend that every weekend though if not more. Good ol' Fiddler.. If I can get away without spending over $300 ive had a cheap night.
Anyone that knows me and has been out for a 'few drinks' knows what im like.
Last night in the city cost me $528 exactly LOL.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #273
dishpig
Only an xr6...

$528 holy crap, Usually I only spend $100, how on earth do you do that much haha, myu normal night is predrinks till your wasted stumble to pub and late night bus it back.

But anyway on topic for some reason this supercharger makes me want a turbo lol. Was ganna buy this but that was when nooone wanted one now everyone does, guess I just wanna be as different as posible (BIG BLOCK TIME!!!!). I figure the easest and most reliable way to get to my 300KW mark is a turbo and alot cheaper too. Well Parts wise it would be insurance is another story, damm under 25 insurance rates. :

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV

Last edited by dishpig; 12-12-2007 at 10:25 PM.
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #274
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
HAHAHA good work..

I spend that every weekend though if not more. Good ol' Fiddler.. If I can get away without spending over $300 ive had a cheap night.
i hate the fiddler but i love it oh so much. let me know when you are goin next so you can a)freak the sh it out of me in the carpark, and b) buy me drinks LOL
Old 12-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #275
stiddy
Banned

hahaha ok, im not going this weekend.. it hurts too much LMAO.
I may be going to Central in Blacktown, very very cheap drinks.. VERY cheap...
Fiddler the week after. I dont particularly want a big one this weekend, I had a bottle smashed over my head in a fight last weekend, and it still hurts so.. yeah.

Dishpig if you want to be different, get the blower. Everyone is going turbo. For some reason people think turbos are just better, cheaper and easier to get power from.
I think if you get a well set up blower system, have an awesome tuner, get decent and quality parts, you will end up with a suprising outcome.
Old 13-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #276
stiddy
Banned

I have spoken to Tim @ Raptor chargers. This is what I got.

When will the AU 4.0L I6 (non-VCT) kits be available on the market?
Essentially it is all godo to go, I do need to double check the non VCT for correctness, urgently trying to purchase a NON VCT AU ute, let me know if any member has a reasonable 3 seater, Auto, well type ute with around 170 000kms for sale in Qld preferably
>
>What's included in the kit? I won't list it all here just right now
but the kit is 100% complete including the flashtuner, that is brackets, belts, XR6T injectors, polished intake pipework, idler pulleys, air filter et etc etc
>
>Is the SCT Flasher tuner included in the over all price? YES
>
>What's the price of the complete kit? (just parts) Any order placed
between now and January the 3rd 2008 will go for $4800 as a promotional price. People with partial kit pricing will have had the pricing customised around what they do or do not need and in most cases no 2 partial kit prices will be the same.
>
>What's the price of the complete kit fitted? We typically supply
everything for DIY, we will arrange fitment if necessary and its only charged by the hours it takes, around 3.5hrs is heaps of time. We recently have had 2 females fit their Holden V6 kits without problem at all, the Ford kit is even easier.
>
>What's the expected gain's or total power achievable? The total
power achievable has not yet been discovered, we only worked with an AU XR6 VCT sedan, the dyno charts are on the website, it can achieve more power at current boost level if owner would replace the restrictive cat back section, however he is totally pleased with it and has no desire to upgrade further. The tuner says current tune could make 205rwkw with good exhaust, he "estimates" with intercooler and 2 psi more boost power may climb to 235rwkw + with stock engine.
The tuner is Dave Sheedy (not sure on spelling) who did hold the record for fastest unopened XR6T in AU(around 10.8 secs), he is a master tuner for Fords without a doubt. He is providing all our AU tunes
>
>What's the peak boost range on the head unit? 12 psi at the charger
>
>Can they be upgraded? eg. Pullies? Yes, smaller pulleys.

We have been extremely successful with the Holden V6 Ecotec and this same performance will be repeated for the Ford product as the same product formula will be applied. This year Raptor supercharged vehicles took out the V6 Forced induction class in 3 states of the Street Commodores national dyno days, that being Qld, SA and WA.
Reliability and premium quality tuning allows even the customer with the most basic kit to be highly competitive.

Kindest regards

Tim

Raptor Superchargers

0409 897 081

www.raptorsc.com.au
Old 13-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #277
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Oh my

12psi aye? I dont think i'd run it above 9 or 10 tho

sounds sweet

I may drive upto QLD mid-jan and get it done

/gets all tingly

Quote:
HAHAHA good work..

DAMN MAN!!!

I usually only spend around $150-$200, cuz i usually down a bottle of JD before i head out

I only spent $200 at Pontoon on Saturday just past, but that's because we had a work christmas party beforehand and i had 17 cocktails

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #278
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

If you's stopped drinking you could buy the expensive capa supercharger
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #279
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Does anyone know what the torque is like in comparison between turbo and supercharger. My guess is supercharger would pull harder and harder the further up the rpm you go, and boost would have normal then hit boost and be on the same level. I'm probably wrong but does anyone here know?

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 09:46 PM   #280
stiddy
Banned

Torque would be around the same as a turbo. It would just feel different. But the supercharger would feel like its pulling harder from low rpm, rather than a sudden whack like a turbo.

ayeyew i didnt realise you lived in the hills.. might have to catch up for a few drinks soon.
Old 13-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #281
sly
Sly like a G6

Interesting... someone (I can't remember who) posted a few months ago that the belt-driven blower "lacks power under 3000rpm".
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #282
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A belt driven turbo, if set at 9psi, is making that at peak revs. With the right setup, you could get a constant 9psi out of a turbo at 2000rpm to redline
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #283
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Can you get a belt driven turbo these days?
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #284
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Can you get a belt driven turbo these days?
That's just another name for a centrifugal supercharger eg Powerdyne, Paxton, Vortech, Raptor to name a few. It's what a centri is effectively.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 14-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #285
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
A belt driven turbo, if set at 9psi, is making that at peak revs. With the right setup, you could get a constant 9psi out of a turbo at 2000rpm to redline
I'd like to see that.. if you get a a turbo that peaks at 9psi, that comes on to full boost at 2000rpm I highly doubt its going to be still pulling at redline.

Where as with a supercharger, yeah you may have 2.5psi at 2000rpm, but at 4000rpm it will be closer to 9psi, rather than 5psi, like most over stated myths. Yes boost builds with rev's, but its not linear as such, like stated.
Old 14-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #286
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd like to see that.. if you get a a turbo that peaks at 9psi, that comes on to full boost at 2000rpm I highly doubt its going to be still pulling at redline.
Is this a joke?
Old 14-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #287
The Monty
Just slidin'

No its not. A turbo that is small enough to spool that early to max boost, will not likely be making the same amount of boost at redline.
Look at the XR6T for example.
Old 14-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #288
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the disco potato is a turbo that does the above.. and was built for the AE86 toyota sprinters from memory..
it is small enough to come on boost early.. and boosts hard to redline which is what was perfect for drifting if i have my story correct..
Old 14-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #289
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Is this a joke?
Does the turbo setup on your I6 work like that?
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #290
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death351
Does the turbo setup on your I6 work like that?
I'll get back shortly re the dispute over what I have said, but as far as your question here, as I continuously stat, my car is a POS, Unlike a lot of other deluded people I see on here, I can admit this and have never tried to state other wise. But this is my 32nd car, and seeing as this thread is to do with belt driven turbo's, just out of curiosity how many car's have all the experts here had with one? At a guess, for the most case I would say 1 less then myself.
Old 14-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #291
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
No its not. A turbo that is small enough to spool that early to max boost, will not likely be making the same amount of boost at redline.
That can be correct, although i think in the example of the XR6T, the boost dropping as engine RPM increases (with the stock tune) is more to do with the piddly fuel system than the blower running out of capacity.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #292
sly
Sly like a G6

Found the following post on another forum site, comparing a V8 VE ute with a Raptor'd VY V6 without any other significant mechanical mods...

Quote:
From what i gather Darren was pretty amazed at how your ute went in comparison to his new VE. Infact he commented that the only thing he prefers on his ute is the V8 rumble. Performance wise he commented yours was alot more responsive and seemed to perform alot better.
There is a possibility I may be able to score a spin in this VY. Hopefully this will clarify for me exactly what to expect from a Raptor and put me in a position to make a firm decision.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 14-12-2007, 11:16 PM   #293
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are the VY's running the same unit though?
Old 14-12-2007, 11:31 PM   #294
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
What the XR6T does says very little about its turbo's capabilities. I don't have the figures to hand unfortunately but I recall Zoom mag found the boost levels in the XR6T fluctuated all over the shop.

The basic reason for this is that the ECU is powerful enough to instantaneously calculate the theoretical torque output at any given rpm, load, intake temp etc then manipulate boost, cam and ignition timing etc to ensure that torque doesn't exceed the programmed maximum. In a stock XR6T the turbo is well within its limits, as evidenced by tuners' ability to pull around 400FWKW without upgrading the turbo.

According to one manifold fabricator (no it's not a pun!) an externally-gated turbo similar to the one used in the XR6T has produced 25psi at 2300rpm on his manifold.

Also don't forget a turbo exhaust system has 2 orifices - the turbine and the wastegate. The sizing and control of the wastegate no doubt have an impact on whether any given turbo chokes the engine at high rpm.

Anyway, back on topic, yes you could get a turbo to produce 9psi at 2000, but the burning question for me is, how much more torque will this produce than a centri blower producing 1 (or 2.5, or whatever) psi at the same revs?

BTW I just remembered I have an Excel spreadsheet somewhere that I can use to calculate torque at given RPM from a dyno sheet showing power v's rpm. Can't do it now, but I'll plug the power figures from the Landcruiser graph into it and see what the torque curve looks like.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 14-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #295
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Are the VY's running the same unit though?
Absolutely. Same Raptor V. See for yourself... http://www.raptorsc.com.au/kits.php?id=29. BTW the dyno sheet shown on that page bears no relation to the ute I'm talking about. AFAIK that sheet is for Tim's personal project car... in any case it's a car with at least a bloody good exhaust.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 15-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #296
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
and seeing as this thread is to do with belt driven turbo's,
Exactly.
Old 15-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #297
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry Death351, but you are yet to answer my question. I have been able to answer yours, so please tell us, seeing as you are another self proclaimed expert on this field, how many cars have you owned with belt driven turbos? I, as would others, would like to know what your 2 cents is really worth.
Old 15-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #298
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Until I sold my AU (which wasn't a POS), I had fully intended to buy this kit. I've only stated the bleeding obvious things, such as this kit with respect to other similar kits is a bargain. That this is an easy kit to fit (girls are fitting the Commodore versions themselves), doesn't require turfing an investment in a set of extractors, etc. You don't need to be an expert to know those things, it's common sense. Otherwise, my 2c have simply been passing information from Tim himself, who it's safe to say does have a fair amount of knowledge on the subject.

I began talking Tim before this kit existed, because he had BA-BF kits and I enquired about the possibility of an AU one. Despite selling the AU, I've kept in touch and kept people updated on it's progress for the benefit of others.

Ultimately, this thread is about the kit, not about turbo setups or how much better they might be - the latter has argued to death in other threads and doesn't needed to be repeated here.

Last edited by Mark351; 15-12-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 18-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #299
sly
Sly like a G6

Is anyone with an XR6HP planning to buy this kit? I believe Tim has a ute with a base model I6 to develop the non-VCT kit. AFAIK the tune for this may not be right for the HP version of the engine.

He could source a HP cam and PCM fairly cheaply, however a search of the AU parts database reveals:

Part # / Description / Unit Price
ER 6049 A / CYL HEAD ASSY, HEAD ONLY, 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (MP) / $593.62
ERT 6049 A / CYL HEAD ASSY, 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (HP) / $814.37

Which I guess settles the question of whether the Tickford head is different to the base I6's.

So, somewhere along the way Tim will need to get an XR6HP into his workshop to tune so he has full coverage of the range. Anyone in Qld willing to oblige?

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 18-12-2007, 12:00 PM   #300
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Is anyone with an XR6HP planning to buy this kit? I believe Tim has a ute with a base model I6 to develop the non-VCT kit. AFAIK the tune for this may not be right for the HP version of the engine.

He could source a HP cam and PCM fairly cheaply, however a search of the AU parts database reveals:

Part # / Description / Unit Price
ER 6049 A / CYL HEAD ASSY, HEAD ONLY, 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (MP) / $593.62
ERT 6049 A / CYL HEAD ASSY, 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (HP) / $814.37

Which I guess settles the question of whether the Tickford head is different to the base I6's.

So, somewhere along the way Tim will need to get an XR6HP into his workshop to tune so he has full coverage of the range. Anyone in Qld willing to oblige?
i am still doing a few sums but will be doing mine ( HP engine ) in jan / feb just waiting for a date to change my gas to SVI first
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post