Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation QLD Motorists Speeding Fine Every 30seconds !!

QUEENSLAND motorists were slapped with a speeding fine every 30 seconds last financial year, with an extraordinary 1.08 million infringements logged across the state.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the speeding fine frenzy meant at least $230.44 million worth of fines were dished out on Queensland roads in 2018-19 - or a staggering $26,303 every hour of every day.

The more than one million speeding fines issued last financial year was up a whopping 11.4 per cent from the 971,995 the previous year.

This included more than 3000 reckless drivers who were busted speeding at least 40km/h over the posted speed limit, as well as another 7574 motorists who caught driving a dangerous 31 to 40km/h over.

The majority of speeding motorists - over 600,000 - were nabbed travelling 12km/h or less over the speed limit.

In total, there were almost 800,000 drivers who were given a speeding fines in 2018-19 - the equivalent of about one in four of the roughly three million car drivers in Queensland.

Transport Minister Mark Bailey said the Government would make no apologies for its road safety strategy, insisting speed cameras were in place to change driver behaviour.

Transport Minister Mark Bailey says speed cameras are in place to change behaviour. My comment "not working Mark"

"As road safety Minister, I've seen what can happen in a crash when speed is the main factor," he said.

"I've listened to the victims, their families, friends and first responders, and witnessed the long-term trauma of losing a loved one.

"Fines only hurt when you do the wrong thing."

Mr Bailey said every dollar raised from camera detected offences was reinvested into improving road safety.

Opposition Leader Deb Frecklington seized on the figures to accuse the Government of using Queenslanders as cash cows.

"If elected next year, the LNP will make sure the focus is on road safety, not leeching off motorists' wallets," she said.

"The LNP will bring back 'speed camera in use' signs to alert motorists to speed cameras as we want them to change behaviour immediately."

RACQ spokeswoman Lauren Ritchie said the organisation was pleading with drivers to slow down and think about their speed.

"To hear that someone in Queensland is handed a speeding fine every 30 seconds, is a shocking statistic," Ms Ritchie said.

"Speeding isn't safe in any circumstance." https://www.themorningbulletin.com.a...renzy/3860630/
Old 23-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: QLD Motorists Speeding Fine Every 30seconds !!

Where has it all gone that's the question Mark Bailey!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Where has it all gone that's the question Mark Bailey!
Oh that’s easy - it’s gone into consolidated revenue used to prop up arguably the most incompetent, big government knows best, anti business Government in Qld’s history.

Is there a further break up of the under 12km/hr “speedsters”, I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the under 12km/hr infringements were actually under 5km/hr.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
Electrolyte Burns

We have the best politicians that money can buy.
Electrolyte Burns is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Geez, the few times I've driven in Qld, they were all 10kph+ under the speed limit. Drove me nuts!

Townsville, I wanted to beat my head against the dash half the time.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #6
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There were figures out some time back this year I think where they said that most crashes were 1km/h over the limit.

So that goes to prove a point that this 1 k over is to betaken truly seriously in fact.

Now I remember at the time walking past some Jehovah mob and I put the question to them about the 1km/h over story and they agreed strongly yes.

truly ! I think their is much more to such than some moron claiming it was the 1km/h that was real problem for the crash.

If I were to swallow the 1k line, in fact I could come up with a whole raft of reasons why that majority of people with a licence should loose the right to drive, I am serious !

If they want to peddle the 1km/h line with such authority, well I could make a list till the cows come home of other things that are far more important for sure.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Oh that’s easy - it’s gone into consolidated revenue used to prop up arguably the most incompetent, big government knows best, anti business Government in Qld’s history.

Is there a further break up of the under 12km/hr “speedsters”, I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the under 12km/hr infringements were actually under 5km/hr.
The majority of speeding motorists — over 600,000 — were nabbed travelling 12km/h or less over the speed limit. from The Courier Mail. No break up of "speedsters"
Old 23-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
There were figures out some time back this year I think where they said that most crashes were 1km/h over the limit.

So that goes to prove a point that this 1 k over is to betaken truly seriously in fact.

Now I remember at the time walking past some Jehovah mob and I put the question to them about the 1km/h over story and they agreed strongly yes.

truly ! I think their is much more to such than some moron claiming it was the 1km/h that was real problem for the crash.

If I were to swallow the 1k line, in fact I could come up with a whole raft of reasons why that majority of people with a licence should loose the right to drive, I am serious !

If they want to peddle the 1km/h line with such authority, well I could make a list till the cows come home of other things that are far more important for sure.
I get the feeling 1km/hr over is totally contrived.

Is the risk calculated the very instant that one goes over 1km/hr?
Or
Is the risk calculated doing 1km/hr over a time period i.e. 1 hour?
Or
Is the risk calculated over a distance i.e. doing 1km/hr over for 1km?

Conversely if there is a risk with 1km/hr over then the risk should be reduced by being 1km/hr under. In which case spending countless hours in traffic jams doing 5km/hr in a 60km/hr zone negates the few times being 1km/hr over.

Last edited by cheap; 23-10-2019 at 06:33 PM.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp View Post
Geez, the few times I've driven in Qld, they were all 10kph+ under the speed limit. Drove me nuts!

Until they get to road works and they continue doing that 10k under the original posted limit oblivious to the temporary reduction, never seen anything like it, always makes me laugh when we get the annual QLD speed camera revenue thread, worst drivers I've ever encountered.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2019, 08:58 PM   #10
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come down to VIC and you'll find out about fines and cameras.....****ing everywhere!!!!!
GASWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Every time I'm up there I see the same thing. You get the odd person doing 150 on the freeway but most are slow.
Old 23-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #12
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I got 2 in that period, one I'll put my hand up and say totally should have been gotten as I wawasn' taking enough notice of the speed zone at that point. Nabbed for 7kmh over.

2nd I overtook a guy doing between 10 and 25kmh under the limit, he was wandering all over the road, crossing the central line more times than I can count and at the safest moment I overtook him (when he was doing another of his drifting over the shoulder line) and looked across up against a farmer's fence was a camera car. Pinged for 14kmh over. I thought about contesting it due to my camera footage of the other drivers bad driving and argument I was removing myself from potential harm. But realising that common sense doesn't fill pollies packets I figured contesting was a waist of time.

So... LNP party next election hey? I'll think about it.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build

Last edited by Mr Brooksy; 23-10-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The two main highways out of Brisbane, the speed limits are for tourists. If you do the limit on the Bruce hwy, you'll feel like you're going backwards. At least it's only two lanes...

The hwy down south is about 6 lanes of browns cows. Speed ranges from about 40 over to about 40 under and everything in between, sometimes by the same vehicle.
Old 23-10-2019, 11:26 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Rushing home before the ants eat all their butter https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11481083
Old 23-10-2019, 11:54 PM   #15
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was driving down University drive in Townsville and saw 2 people jumping around like excited school boys who had seen a toppless woman on a beach. I said to my passenger what are these idiots doing looked like they have guns I said are they shooting water pistols or gel blasters at cars it was like watching people play paintball jumping manuevering walking out on the road .Passenger says I dont know look like idiots was 2 Highway Patrol blokes absolutely pathetic to watch their behaviour . Never will I vote LNP again or Labor I think Campbell is still hated more in Townsville than any Labor party leader.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #16
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Queensland transport used to publish their annual report into road safety on their website. They stopped because the "facts" from their own accident investigation squad contradicted the party line, and you can't have that.

If the mass anti speeding campaign is working why has it never produced a reduction in deaths injuries or investigated crashes due to excessive speed ?

If reducing traffic speeds and reducing speed limits (definitely for safety not to boost fines revenue) is a good strategy then why has it never produced positive results ? Why are the only numbers the government can contrive to back it assertions tortured to death ? cherry picked and weighted ?

Anyway, thanks to all those people who continue to vote labor and liberal. We have you to thank...politicians are the symptom not the disease...
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Vote 1 Franco Cozzo for QLD state premier, I'll spend your $230M better than you.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #18
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Or
Or

Conversely if there is a risk with 1km/hr over then the risk should be reduced by being 1km/hr under. In which case spending countless hours in traffic jams doing 5km/hr in a 60km/hr zone negates the few times being 1km/hr over.
At any given point that you exceed the posted limit.

The point being is that you have to be able to stop rate, so given the lowest denominator you work off that and other things as well.

I find in QLD that the rule to keep left is something that most do not know, not to mention that one should only to overtake in the right hand lane.
So you get this weaving in and out crap going on and morons driving slow in the far right hand lane and not to mention two idiots driving side by side in the far right and to the left of them driving 20km/h under the limit if not more at times, surely no one could be that stupid ! I believe that they are intentionally doing this, it must be some game they love to play

I would make the speed limit in the far right lane more so if the limit to the Gold Coast Brisbane highway being 110 make the far right 120km/h or more and bust fools playing the road hog fool in that lane.

In Europe no one is so stupid not to know what lain that they should be sitting in, as the faster lanes are not for you to drive on, so you keep to the correct lane that you should be in and that's how you reduce most of the problems.

I don't know how many idiots have just about cut me off as they are doing stupid radical lane changes and not to mention merging on to the highway that amount of spastics is amassing.
Here's one that I detest, some moron on highway sees a merging lane coming in, so what to do ! just come along speeding oblivious to what could happen, now that's the very point where no one should speed over the posted limit or you are just asking for trouble and I have seen it happen so many times and said watch out for this stupid c--- and then f ing bang ! see the whole thing happen up in front of me, early morning is the most likely time and that's how you get the huge traffic jams.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #19
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Transport Minister Mark Bailey was ex school teacher a city boy never live or travel at outback therefore he know nothing about cars not ever Motor Enthusiast Underwriter No interesting in motor sport race track but allow stupid Gold coast 600 Supercar running in narrow main street that is not design for so but what happen to Surfers Paradise International Raceway and many racing track like Lakeside International Raceway. has disappeared from map of Backward state Qld and why so many speed camera in Toowoomba like other day driving along James Street and Curzon street passing intersection has red light/speed cameras further away approx 100 metre was parking police speed camera van that will double up driving fine and points

supercar
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My head hurts
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
....in QLD that the rule to keep left is something that most do not know, not to mention that one should only to overtake in the right hand lane.
Yes; the law in this case in Qld. is better than in WA.:

https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/v...9-0194#sec.130

Quote:
130Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road

(1)This section applies to a driver driving on a multi-lane road if—

(a)the speed limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80km/h; or

(b)a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of road where the driver is driving.

(2)The driver must not drive in the right lane unless—

(a)the driver is—

(i)turning right or making a U-turn from the centre of the road; and

(ii)giving a right change of direction signal; or

(b)the driver is overtaking; or

(c)a left lane must turn left sign or left traffic lane arrows apply to any other lane and the driver is not turning left; or

(d)the driver is required to drive in the right lane under section 159; or

(e)the driver is avoiding an obstruction; or

(f)the traffic in each other lane is congested; or

(g)the traffic in every lane is congested; or

(h)the right lane is a special purpose lane in which the driver, under another provision of this regulation, is permitted to drive; or

(i)there are only 2 marked lanes and the left lane is a slow vehicle turn out lane.

Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.

(3)A keep left unless overtaking sign on a multi-lane road applies to the length of road beginning at the sign and ending at the nearest of the following—

(a)an end keep left unless overtaking sign on the road;

(b)a traffic sign or road marking on the road that indicates that the road is no longer a multi-lane road;

(c)if the road ends at a T-intersection or dead end—the end of the road.

(4)In this section—

lane, for a driver, means a marked lane for vehicles travelling in the same direction as the driver, but does not include a special purpose lane in which the driver is not permitted to drive.

slow vehicle turn out lane means a marked lane, or the part of a marked lane, to which a slow vehicle turn out lane sign applies.

Note—

A slow vehicle turn out lane is designed for slow-moving vehicles to move into to allow faster vehicles to pass in an adjacent marked lane.

But unlike WA I guess they didn't design major highways (e.g. Roe Hwy where it meets Kwinana Fwy and Kwinana Fwy at the Polly Tunnel and Newcastle Stree) where traffic must get in the right hand lane in advance to exit.
Old 25-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Townsville. Quite an experience driving there to be honest. It would be a disaster if they actually had any traffic
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #23
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Anyone North of Noosa don't have to worry about keeping left...there are SFA dual lane sections...
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #24
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

NSW fixed the keep left thing by fining people until they (largely) stopped doing it. Qld needs the same.

We have the winning combination of the countries worst divers driving on the worst designed roads, but not satisfied with that we also have in brisbane a dual driving culture.

Literally half the population migrated from melbourne in the 90s, so half the drivers are comatose the other half are looking for someone to ram....
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #25
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Or
Or

Ooohh yeah. Very dangerous. 1k over. Yeah..28.06metres/sec compared to 27.78. Wow 277.78mm further every second. Not much in the real world. But at 112kl/hr it is 3.333 metres further every second. Significant if you have to stop in a hurry...i.e...you're 3 metres further into that roo that jumped out in front of you.
Old 27-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #26
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
Ooohh yeah. Very dangerous. 1k over. Yeah..28.06metres/sec compared to 27.78. Wow 277.78mm further every second. Not much in the real world. But at 112kl/hr it is 3.333 metres further every second. Significant if you have to stop in a hurry...i.e...you're 3 metres further into that roo that jumped out in front of you.
Original EH Holden doing 110 km/h stops in ?
Original 1980 to 1990 car doing 110 without ABS ?
Modern day car doing 110 stops in ?
A drivers response time ? now that can be a huge difference.
I am sure that I could stop a car in a shorter distance from 200KM/H than some who are doing 110km/h.

Not to mention that m wife had a VS Commodore once and she had a mechanic put new brake pads in it, just the std crap that was below the original Holden ones, now I out went out with the family car loaded and coming back I tested them out from 110 to dead stop no ABS in this car mind and the bastard could not even lock the wheels and it slowed to a stop so I put new original Holden pads back in and bingo great brakes again.
That goes to show you what morons are about in the brake and mechanical service industry they would not know **** form clay.
Talk about the ignorance that's around, most people have no idea on the subject not even the so called braking specialist shops that I have come across over the years that have been totally ignorant that it just amassed me that I was talking to a total fools and one was a total moron.

Last edited by GasoLane; 27-10-2019 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Don't try to avoid the censor
Old 27-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
Not to mention that m wife had a VS Commodore once and she had a mechanic put new brake pads in it, just the std crap that was below the original Holden ones, now I out went out with the family car loaded and coming back I tested them out from 110 to dead stop no ABS in this car mind and the bastard could not even lock the wheels and it slowed to a stop so I put new original Holden pads back in and bingo great brakes again.
That goes to show you what morons are about in the brake and mechanical service industry they would not know sh1t form clay.
Talk about the ignorance that's around, most people have no idea on the subject not even the so called braking specialist shops that I have come across over the years that have been totally ignorant that it just amassed me that I was talking to a total fools and one was a total moron.
The problem in Australia is the market responds to what their customers will pay allowed by lack of Government regulation - why buy Bendix when cheap linglong Chinese special only costs $25 for a set of brake pads when Bendix is $100? Don't worry about it until after you ice a Toddler who got away from Mummabear and ran out across the road, you jammed on the brakes but linglong doesn't pull the car up well and you stopped on the toddlers spine.

Europe has a regulation for brake pads - ECE R90.

If a pad doesn't meet ECE R90 standards it can't be fitted to a road going vehicle - it's within +/- 10% of OE specifications.

It's the same with tyres people just want to fit cheap linglongs because there's no standards so the market caters to this.

I get brake specialists arguing over $1-$2 cost differences on a set of brake pads because of tight *** customers.
4 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #28
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve always believed “driving to the conditions” includes the relative abilities of the vehicle.

There is a general clause in the NSW rules for modifying vehicles that say “...must be suitable for subsequent resale to a person of average driving ability” but no such caveat applies to new parts and unmodified cars. I don’t consider the $85/cnr tyres on Povo Ute meet that sort of litmus test yet they - like your allegorical $25 brake pads - are perfectly legal to sell and fit.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ve always believed “driving to the conditions” includes the relative abilities of the vehicle.

There is a general clause in the NSW rules for modifying vehicles that say “...must be suitable for subsequent resale to a person of average driving ability” but no such caveat applies to new parts and unmodified cars. I don’t consider the $85/cnr tyres on Povo Ute meet that sort of litmus test yet they - like your allegorical $25 brake pads - are perfectly legal to sell and fit.
Protex pads to suit a BA-FGX Falcon generally cost a resellers, $13

Bendix GCTs - $45 to reseller

Inspires confidence doesn't it?

I use Bendix as an example because it's a brand we all know, but Bendix these days is just a marketing company rebranding other people's product.

There is better product out there.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 27-10-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 27-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #30
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The problem in Australia is the market responds to what their customers will pay allowed by lack of Government regulation - why buy Bendix when cheap linglong Chinese special only costs $25 for a set of brake pads when Bendix is $100? Don't worry about it until after you ice a Toddler who got away from Mummabear and ran out across the road, you jammed on the brakes but linglong doesn't pull the car up well and you stopped on the toddlers spine.

Europe has a regulation for brake pads - ECE R90.

If a pad doesn't meet ECE R90 standards it can't be fitted to a road going vehicle - it's within +/- 10% of OE specifications.

It's the same with tyres people just want to fit cheap linglongs because there's no standards so the market caters to this.

I get brake specialists arguing over $1-$2 cost differences on a set of brake pads because of tight *** customers.
Amen! I've been saying this all along. How often are the Camry's that run over children probed? Legislation is weak, and the band aid is reducing speed limits and increasing enforcement... But what do you know, the road toll (including those injured) is still Spectacularly high!
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post