Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 17-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #61
NJM586

Hey guys,

Just a few update pics of my custom intake pipe got it done today i just have to buy a 2 and a quarter inch silicone hose to attach to throttle body will update pics once completed,

NJM586 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #62
NJM586

Hey Guys

Finally found a silicone hose to fit both the throttle body and intake pipe
The only think i have to do next is place a induction pipe from the air filter to fog light hole but other then that it's complete

Shame i missed out on the cruise :( always next time

Finished product enjoy
If you have any questions please feel free to ask

Old 19-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #63
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Looks great mate. Lovin it. How does it sound? Any difference in low end torque?
Is that a cable tie I see in that second photo? Just as the intake pipe drops down the side of the block? Or a metal bracket of some kind?
Filter actually looks like half a police siren!!! Looks great mate. Custom work is always the best!

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #64
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

That looks sweet NJM.

Well i completed mine yesterday before leaving to go on a little trip down to Apollo bay. and what better route to test the new filter on than through the Otway Ranges and along the Great Ocean Road. :eclipsee_

First and foremost the top end is so much more free and acceleration has slightly improved too. But that sound is amazin'... love it.

Basically have the same kinda setup as before but honed a little more.
I still want to make an air-box but i've ordered a heat shield till then.

I've added a feed from the lower fog-light grill and insulated the stock piping. and the insulation(just from Clark Rubber, used to insulate piping in walls) works a treat, keeps it much cooler.

Yes thats a cable tie.... :

Here's the other mod that i thought may work. seeing i'm not using the stock scoop any more, i'm using it to hopefully re-direct more air into the feed from the lower grill... what d'yall reckon?:

And finally here's the mounting bracket i used to keep the pod in place.
Its just a universal one from ...you guessed it... Autobarn...
Its actually pretty good, you can bend and shape to suit.
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #65
WPN XR6T
Useless

...And just to add to the flood of CAI's, mine arrived Today

I left the Air filter housing in place because I think it looks a little bare without it.

It feeds in air from the stock location, but has a much wider intake snorkel and K&N pod inside, and has made a massive difference. Mods to date are only a high flow rear muffler, this intake and a Dreamscience flash tuner, but it feels bloody quick, even compaired to the Falcon, which has 308kw at the rears.

Along with the intake that rocked up today are AP Racing front Disks and calipers and EBC rear Disks and pads that go on tomorrow.

Just to add some perspective...

That should pull it up : can't wait!

Happiness is owning more Fords. Bliss is owning more XR's!

- 2005 BA II XR8 "The Dino"
- 2005 BA II XR6T "The T"
- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
WPN XR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #66
NJM586

Thanks guys

RJO89 - It sounds great the engine sounds much more deeper then it did with the stock air filter and when you put the foot down boy can you notice the difference it actually sounds like it is turbo cause you can hear the air being sucked in i love the sound of it and yeah there is a huge difference in low end torque specially after 3000 rpm i can't wait to drive it during winter should be good fun

Your seeing correctly the bracket i got welded on the pipe the exhaust shop made it to short so for now there is a metal bracket there holding it into place but im going back this sat to get this fixed !!! but yeah that's what i first thought when i saw the filter but the red actually act's as a heat shield which is good but other then that im really happy with the outcome and yeah custom work is always good don't get me wrong tho it is a bit pricey but i new it would be when i wanted to get it done next coil overs lol

zetec jim - Looks great mate great idea using the stock scoop im going to be using mine now after seeing your idea thanks for the tip lol

but how good does it sound specially when you give it i love the sound as well simple mod but soooo effective
Old 19-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #67
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

No worries mate. You need to take the fins off the underside of the scoop to make it slot into place, plus i'm thinking of taking some more length off the long part as well, just to make it sit a little closer to the grill for more air :evil3:

WPN XR6T: That intake looks freakin' amazing. together with the exhaust, Dream-science, EBC's and rotors it's one mean little package you got there... and i thought driving the 1.6L down the Great Ocean rd was fun :
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
Old 19-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #68
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_107749/article.html

Not the best source but good in that its easy to read and you get the idea. I can get more if you wish
Old 20-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #69
Ben85

Piotr:- That was interesting reading!!! And i appreciate the feedback. Because as i've said all along, this is the kinda feedback i was looking for.

Now on the back of that, has anyone done this type of testing and kno the best length for the fiesta's?

NJM586:- Your intake looks sweet mate!!!!

WPN XR6T:- That intake looks amazing mate!!! Wat was the biggest difference? The intake or the flash tune?

How do we think this would go? http://inductionkits.co.za/index.php...roducts_id=304

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #70
WPN XR6T
Useless

Good article, it explains and demo's short tuned lengh intake pipes quite well. I think what Ben85 was getting at was longer length intake systems such as K&N's Typhoon system and others that seem to draw from quite a distance from the TB.
Excessive length from a draw point to an intake point (in this case, the TB) causes increased friction and excessive air buffering, alowing an increase of heat soak.

Basicly, the TB is drawing air from a space. That space is the intake pipe+the immediate area of the airfilter+the space the airfilter is drawing air from.

Place the airfilter somewhere where it can draw plenty of cold air whilst remaining protected and you will get good flow.

Have the correct sized airfilter and it wont be restrictive, or it wont be so large that the filter area is excessive, hampering good economic flow.

Intake pipe length is important. If it is too short, all it is is a ram air system which is fine if you have massive draw from a large capacity engine with multiple intakes, not so good for a 4cyl with a standard TB. Excessive length is little more than a large pipe full of air getting heated by engine bay temps and creating a larger space the already (comparitivley) small draw the TB creates has to overcome (on top of overcoming the airfilter, which is why too large a airfilter is a bad idea).

So it's about finding a happy medium. Airfilter placement, availible space, draw area, cost, distance and protection all come into play, and thats why companies spend so much on R&D and why there are so many different solutions to the same problem. There is no quick fix, just different ways to approch a solution.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Matt

- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
Old 20-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #71
WPN XR6T
Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben85

WPN XR6T:- That intake looks amazing mate!!! Wat was the biggest difference? The intake or the flash tune?

How do we think this would go? http://inductionkits.co.za/index.php...roducts_id=304
I'd have to say the intake. I placed the tune in before the intake, and it made a real difference, but the difference once the intake went in was staggering. The tune can now take full advantage of it's settings and by christ this thing goes!
It rev's up through the range like no ones business and feels so much more responsive, a fair call seeing how well these thing go straight off the factory floor.
Power's up too (couldn't say how much) and it's right across the board. When I first replaced the muffler, I lost a little torque down low, but now it's back (probably more to do with the tune) and the torque curve feels quite linier. Well worth it.

- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
Old 20-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #72
Ben85

Well said mate. If you get a chance can you check out the link i posted above and tell me what your take on it is?

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Old 20-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #73
WPN XR6T
Useless

Look like a K&N 57 series air intake (the black rubber bit and filter) that draws from the back of the engine, but some one added the chrome pipe and oil breather pipe to to bring it to the front of the engine to draw colder air.
It is simular to the system Zetec jim has (less the chrome pipe, obviously), and all he has done is turned it 90 degrees. Seems this is the best way to go for 1.6 Zetec as I have seen nothing else that impresses me otherwise. My opinion, go the way of Zetec Jim, the extra chrome pipe is doing you no favours, but it sure does look pretty. Or go the way of NJM586, that really looks the goods, but could be a bit pricey?

- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
Old 20-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #74
Ben85

This is wat i have at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Old 20-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #75
WPN XR6T
Useless

Mate, there isn't much short of a battery relocation that can really improve on that due to the TB location on the 1.6 Zetec.
Maybe get a hold of some flexable air intake hose (90mm) from supercheap or autobahn and make up some sort of air scoop out of flexable plastic (Icecream containers provide a cheap source for this, or plant pots, as they are black and less visable, just remember to hide them from view, as although they are effective, it's not a real good look! LOL) and duct more cold air from under the car from the vicinity of the passenger side front up too the pod. This keeps the air tract length too a (already) minimum and keeps the pod nice and high and dry.
PS Love the numberplate.

- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
Old 20-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #76
Ben85

Yea its my last name Mulligan. lol Thanx for the ideas mate.

Old 21-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #77
NJM586

Excellent intake systems guys after seeing all yours i regret getting mine done would have been heaps cheaper but ah well what can you do :(

WPN XR6T - Excellent information came in very good use

speaking of which while i was doing mine i bought 3 silicone hose's i have used one for mine but i want to get ride of the other two if anyone wants them pm me as i will let them go for free pick up of course the sizes are 2.25 inch throttle body size and 2 inch if anyone wants them there yours FREE lol let me no anyways
Old 21-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #78
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Where abouts are you NJM?

I am on holidays now so will look under the bonnet for filter spots.
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #79
NJM586

Hi Twinpiston,

I am located in Campbelltown NSW,
Old 24-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #80
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Alright, last pics

Just a note: got 570km to the tank with the new system driving to and from Apollo bay, and both days were stinking hot. So i'd assume that its about the same fuel consumption as stock.

just put the heat shield on and fixed up the cold-air feed pipe. Used the L-Bend pipe that connected the old air-box to the front feed onto the new one from the fog-light grille and then into the pod. worked well. but still have to sort out a system that uses less cable ties :

Old 25-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #81
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Alright, i know i've already posted a billion time in this thread. But i've found a whole new dimension to the fez after chucking the pod on last week. After owning the little blighter for nearly two years i now enjoy driving it more than the other car, a Polo GTI.

I know its only an extra 1-2KW and a couple of the old NM's, but the pod sounds RAD!!! : And the acceleration, especially when higher in the gears and in the rev range is heaps better. After taking it on a run into Mt. Dandenong to visit family, i can tell there is a slight improvement in all of the above (KW's & NM's) and better throttle response, providing you feed it enough air. The Pod coupled with the exhaust is a great combo, and with the Fez's natural handling ability, even after having driven it for the last two years... it still leaves a smile on the dial. :eclipsee_
Old 26-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #82
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

"STOP WITH YOUR BILLION POSTS..... We Get it"
hahahahahhaha

This is what I love reading. People taking the plunge with DIY mods and coming out with a smile on the dial. The actual conception and layout isnt that hard to acheive in the fiesta's tiny engine bay. Just need to work it out.

Great to hear you are noticing results straight away, and cant wait to see it at Small Ford Sunday.
Old 28-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #83
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Sorry to hear you won't be coming, Jim.
I've been doing a lot of work prettying-up my engine bay.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #84
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

I may be able to come after maccas for a while, just cant stay for the prizes i'm afraid :(
I reckon our fiesta will be twins fled, seeings i've ripped off your intake system. and i just had a look and we've got the same heat-shield i think!

I was actually thinking of getting another one and creating what would be a closed off cone? as they're just equal half's aren't they? maybe also cut out an intake hole to funnel the air from the front?
Old 28-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #85
NJM586

Sorry guys didn't no about this when is small car sunday ?
Old 28-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #86
NJM586

sorry guys ignore the above post just realized small car Sunday is in VIC !!!!
we need one down here in NSW
Old 28-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #87
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec jim
I may be able to come after maccas for a while, just cant stay for the prizes i'm afraid :(
I reckon our fiesta will be twins fled, seeings i've ripped off your intake system. and i just had a look and we've got the same heat-shield i think!

I was actually thinking of getting another one and creating what would be a closed off cone? as they're just equal half's aren't they? maybe also cut out an intake hole to funnel the air from the front?
It'd be nice to have our cars displayed side-by-side.

As for the heat shield, I'd thought of doing the exact same thing, but I've been too busy at work to pop into the local Autobarn. These 11-hour work days are gonna be the death of me.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #88
Ben85

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJM586
sorry guys ignore the above post just realized small car Sunday is in VIC !!!!
we need one down here in NSW
I agree mate!!! We need one in NSW!!!!

Old 29-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #89
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Peter Warren All Ford Day is NSW
Old 29-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #90
Ben85

Is there a section for fiesta's etc at the all ford day?