Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #31
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bugatti Veyron to be updated and target 460km/hr

I'm wondering where the limits of tyres are as they keep inching the speed up.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #32
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the cost to bring a Veyron into Australia http://aussieexotics.com/calculators...&value=1000000
Old 16-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #33
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
People that say it will get its **** handed to it are missing the point.
It is the most refined super/hyper car there is.
If you go on the other forums where people own Pagani Zondas, The Agera R and these will tell you that it is such a different beast.
I get it, it's "amazing" - I would just prefer a car that can beat it on a race track for 1/10th of the price (the BAC Mono). On the Top Gear track, the Veyron SS is 6th place, and has to be either first or 2nd most expensive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ower_Lap_Times. For going fast in a straight line, I would much prefer a Pipistrel Panthera, since I would actually be able to use its top speed, using only 37L per hour and going as the crow flies. Honestly, I don't care how refined something is if I think its useless. For the price of a Veyron, I could buy a Panthera, BAC Mono, a Jeep Rubicon, Ram 2500 with a 6.7L Cummins, Challenger Hellcat, a cabin cruiser, 2 jet skis, 2 snowmobiles, and have $100,000 left over to customize those toys. Sorry, $1M on a car that goes fast in a straight line doesn't impress me. If you think it's worth it to get 1,000HP, consider that a friend of mine worked his old 5.9L 12-valve Cummins I-6 diesel to put out over 1,000 HP. That's on a nurse's salary! I judge everything on a cost-benefit analysis. The Veyron has an extremely high cost, for very little benefit.

Last edited by chevypower; 16-12-2014 at 01:04 PM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #34
Uwish

@chevypower It is call build quality. Just like an Rx3 can go fast for 400m for 45k.
The Veyron is built to do everything and have the best build quaity known for cars.
Also the people that own a Veyron, won multiple exotics. Houses every where and more cash than FF combined I would say.
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #35
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's right, and most will never go anywhere near a race track, they will just be used to draw attention on Rodeo Drive, when you can do that for much less money simply by walking around naked. I'm not disputing the build quality, I am talking about its purpose (or lack thereof). But hey each to their own, we all have different tastes right? I'd have way more fun in a BAC Mono, beating Veyrons and everything else. Others would rather have the Veyron purely for bragging rights. I think that says more about the person than the car.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #36
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't care if I owned a car with a Top Speed of 460km/h that was "only" 6th on the Top Gear board. 99% of the people on here would take a GT-F over a GTS 430 and are able to look past the fact that it might be a couple of seconds slower than it on a race track.

The price is justified. It's the Rolls Royce of supercars.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He who has the best toys wins ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #38
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What advantages does this motor car have over say.. a train. Which I could also afford.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #39
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
What advantages does this motor car have over say.. a train. Which I could also afford.
It has cup holders.

Mad, mad car and awesomely engineered.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #40
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
I wouldn't care if I owned a car with a Top Speed of 460km/h that was "only" 6th on the Top Gear board. 99% of the people on here would take a GT-F over a GTS 430 and are able to look past the fact that it might be a couple of seconds slower than it on a race track.

The price is justified. It's the Rolls Royce of supercars.
Depends who is justifying it doesn't it? You could never talk me into wanting it. Now, I wouldn't complain if someone gave me one, but I would sell it and buy all that other stuff. Actually I'd buy some of that stuff and do something much smarter with the rest of the money. The Veyron is just a stupid car that 12 year olds are into with their posters on their bedroom walls, though I suspect I have just described some older people on here.
Old 16-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #41
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
stupid car that 12 year olds are into with their posters on their bedroom walls, though I suspect I have just described some older people on here.

Because you don't like something makes it stupid?

I imagine most here can admire and respect the pinnacle of automotive engineering based on what it is.

The fact most of us will never even sit in one let alone own one doesn't change what it is. Which is certainly much more than a V8 with forced induction thrown into a go cart as some manufactures do.

Calling this vehicle "stupid" and describing people liking it as 12 years olds is infact what one would expect from said 12 year old...
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #42
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Wake me when they aim for 500

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #43
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Just watching the documentary on how this car was conceived and built is just amazing.
The engineering in this car is just staggering. To be able to travel at 400km/h+ and make it look like you're only doing 100km/h, refinement is only one word to describe it and this is just one output from this car (not forgetting all the R&D).
The quality of materials are one thing but even the effort put into making the tyres, they're hand made, each layer is put together by hand.
Old 16-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #44
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its ridiculous to compare the Veyron to cars like the Hennessey Venom, one is an engineering marvel whilst the other is a chest beating exercise.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #45
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
Calling this vehicle "stupid" and describing people liking it as 12 years olds is infact what one would expect from said 12 year old...
This could go around in circles forever if likening something to a 12-year-old is itself 12-year-old behavior, does that make your comment childish too? We're all entitled to our opinions. Since we're all just dreaming anyway, I think I want my own Boeing 787 Business Jet.

Last edited by chevypower; 16-12-2014 at 05:26 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #46
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
This could go around in circles forever if likening something to a 12-year-old is itself 12-year-old behavior, does that make your comment childish too? We're all entitled to our opinions. Since we're all just dreaming anyway, I think I want my own Boeing 787 Business Jet.
A Boeing 787 Business Jet? Thats stupid get an airbus

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #47
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For the price of a Veyron, I could buy a Panthera, BAC Mono, a Jeep Rubicon, Ram 2500 with a 6.7L Cummins, Challenger Hellcat, a cabin cruiser, 2 jet skis, 2 snowmobiles, and have $100,000 left over to customize those toys.

Sorry, $1M on a car that goes fast in a straight line doesn't impress me. If you think it's worth it to get 1,000HP, consider that a friend of mine worked his old 5.9L 12-valve Cummins I-6 diesel to put out over 1,000 HP. That's on a nurse's salary! I judge everything on a cost-benefit analysis. The Veyron has an extremely high cost, for very little benefit.

If you could afford to own a Veyron you could also afford to own all those other toys plus more without giving up the Veyron and if you were truly a car guy then God only knows what other monsters you’d possibly have hiding away in your 25 car garage.

Veyron’s are for people who don’t have to consider the price.

Nor would they stop to think what they'd rather have.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #48
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Yes we all have opinions, you stated yours but it wasn't enough apparently. Posting in a thread thread multiple times with nothing more to say than "it's stupid" and those who like it are acting like 12 year olds amounts to trolling. Hardly conducive to those actually interesting in the topic.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 16-12-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #49
thehammer

Whatever you think, it won't be the Agera or the Venom that will be remembered in 50 years, it'll be the Veyron.

It won't just be remembered for it speed or engineering, but it could be the last pure-petrol powered car to hold the production car speed record.
Current: AU wagon... Old rides: AUII XR8 220, NF V8, NC V8, XG XR6, XF ute, 2 XE's, XF, ED 5sp, EF, '95 Mondeo... non-ford.... VR V8, VL Turbo, TT Soarer, Suzuki Sierra, Hilux Surf, GQ Patrol, 2x4 Rodeo
thehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #50
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the point of it? There would be few drivers in the world capable of controlling a car at that speed. You would need the talents of Hamilton, Riccardo or 'The Hamster'
Old 16-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #51
elfinke

Quote:
I get it, it's "amazing" - I would just prefer a car that can beat it on a race track for 1/10th of the price (the BAC Mono). On the Top Gear track, the Veyron SS is 6th place, and has to be either first or 2nd most expensive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ower_Lap_Times.

/blahblah

I judge everything on a cost-benefit analysis. The Veyron has an extremely high cost, for very little benefit.

You're not judging the Bugatti on a 'cost-benefit' analysis. You're judging it on an extremely narrow 'dollars spent vs track times' context, without any regard for the millions of other things the Veyron is doing that the BAC mono can't ever do.

Which you know, is a perfectly valid thing to do, but at least have polite regard for the people who value things in life (two seats in the Veyron, an interior that puts most peoples living rooms to shame - at 400km/h no less - and so on)other than the Top Gear Test Track time wall time.

The Veyron is the Space Shuttle (or Concord) of automobiles, for sure. I'm constantly flabbergasted at it.
elfinke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #52
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
What's the point of it? There would be few drivers in the world capable of controlling a car at that speed. You would need the talents of Hamilton, Riccardo or 'The Hamster'
It amazes me a member of a car forum would have to ask such a question.

Why not ask what’s the point of a supercharged V8 Falcon?
Run it out to its capabilities and in most driver’s hands it will also become pretty dicey.

The point is, all human endeavours have been born from pushing the limits.

If someone has vision and can engineer it they will.

If someone engineers something that is amazing compared to the norm then some else will most likely want one.

Otherwise why bother engineering any car that can even breach the legal speed limits, for the fun police none of them have a point.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #53
zilo
BANNED

A well designed electric car will eventually out perform this car.

Just wait and see.

Last edited by zilo; 16-12-2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spellink
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #54
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Veyron is not about maximum acceleration - it is about maximum speed. A 20 year old McLaren F1 will out accelerate a Bugatti Veyron from a standing start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXqSedWSu2k
And what has this got to do with the thread ??
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2014, 12:39 AM   #55
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Seems to me that the Veyron exists merely to demonstrate the differing levels of evolvement... if you don't get it, you don't get it... so understand that fact, and go back to your GRP bodykits and ebay double DIN stereos.

A Veyron is not a part of your world.

Don't get me wrong, it's hardly a part of my world either - but I understand that there's a difference. Also my 8yo son loves them, and I'm encouraging him to believe that his world and the Veyron's world are one and the same. Aim high!
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #56
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfinke View Post

You're not judging the Bugatti on a 'cost-benefit' analysis. You're judging it on an extremely narrow 'dollars spent vs track times' context, without any regard for the millions of other things the Veyron is doing that the BAC mono can't ever do.

Which you know, is a perfectly valid thing to do, but at least have polite regard for the people who value things in life (two seats in the Veyron, an interior that puts most peoples living rooms to shame - at 400km/h no less - and so on)other than the Top Gear Test Track time wall time.

The Veyron is the Space Shuttle (or Concord) of automobiles, for sure. I'm constantly flabbergasted at it.
I stand by my opinion 100%, just because I am criticizing the car, doesn't mean I am necessarily being disrespectful to anyone who does like it. I even said we all have our opinions. I am not attacking anybody. People don't need to get so defensive about a car they will never own. Also a cost-benefit analysis for me would be $ for fun factor. Since the Mono is 1/10th of the price and I would have more fun racing it, clearly, it is the winner for me. And yes, it is ALL subjective.

Last edited by chevypower; 17-12-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Old 17-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #57
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

The Veyron is the technological showcase for the VW group. Its a vehicle to demonstrate VW's groups engineering prowess to prospective buyers of any of their brands. The depth of engineering & the loss each one makes for its parent company are breathtaking!

chers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #58
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Imagine trying to restore one of these things in 40 years time? Not one radiator on Ebay....13! You wanna hope that half your Facebook friends worked on the Hadron Collider.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #59
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
A heated gas pedal
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #60
Spurious

B U G A T T I

For the Golfer in a real hurry!!!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post