Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Which Falcons are Best Buying?

Sunday Arvo Dazz Thread:

Cars generally depreciate, although rarer models perhaps not as fast.
Then they hit a point where they're not getting any cheaper, that's normally the sweet-spot.
Then they just get older & more worn-out without getting cheaper
Then they start creeping up again.
Then they start to become actually desirable and harder to find.

Granted its a bit different because there are nolonger new cars to drive the price down.

What Falcons do you think are in the sweet-spot now, or soon to be, and of those which would you buy as a keeper?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
CATXR8
OWN THE ROAD

Default Re: Which Falcons are Best Buying?

T series and P250
WORK HORSE - P250
CATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You've hit that sweet spot description well Dazz, for me I cast my eyes at

XR8 or 8cyl: AU, last of the windsors. Supercharged Miamis not yet anywhere near there.

XR6: still languish, so from EB to BF, find a good one if you can.

Also: XR6 turbo, BA-BF & I reckon they will become cult classics with a far more broad group of fans than strictly the Ford guys.

Wildcard: SY and SYII Turbo/Turbo Ghia

Edit: 'best buying' could also be an EL GLi you get for $900 that then gets you to work for 3 years with hardly any maintenance
Old 25-08-2019, 11:06 PM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

FG or FGII G6E Turbo...

Luxury interior, generally unmolested, unmodified and usually owned by older owners.

Great Sleeper and some prestige.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

20 years as a rule of thumb.

Not everything climbs again and with the changing of the generations fewer and fewer people are willing to restore. I've had a lot of classic bikes and cars over the years, it's always fascinated me how the market falls and rises. You can get a 986 boxster for $12-15 atm. I reckon they are at the bottom. Once I wanted a 912. They used to be cheap, now they are as dear or more than 911's.

The last few years it's been the late E series getting dearer and harder to get parts for. Parts are an early indicator. Try buying zero offset factory alloys compared to AU-on, much much dearer.

I think the AU will be next. But look at 80's falcons. Does anyone want them ? will they ever ? Mind I am still shocked people started paying actual money for mid 60's falcons and 70's valiants so what would I know...
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Anyone considering a 6-speed auto Falcon or Territory with a lot of kms
should really research how much a ZF costs to rebuild and reprogram,
it can run to serious money, sometimes more than the vehicle is worth.

a reason why I think that a lot of B and F series will disappear a lot quicker
than some expect, a lot of people will scrap a car rather than pay $4k-$5k
for a new gearbox in what's supposed to be a cheap runner...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
20 years as a rule of thumb.

Not everything climbs again and with the changing of the generations fewer and fewer people are willing to restore. I've had a lot of classic bikes and cars over the years, it's always fascinated me how the market falls and rises. You can get a 986 boxster for $12-15 atm. I reckon they are at the bottom. Once I wanted a 912. They used to be cheap, now they are as dear or more than 911's.

A colleague in Newie had a 986 boxster- engine blew and had it sent back to Germany and the price for a motor re-build he moaned was about the price of the boxster itself. I keep seeing him and asking when it is going to be back on the road...

That is what concerns me with a second hand Porsche- at least with a Falcon with Miami v8 if it blows you can just put in an aluminator for reasonable coin?

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
A colleague in Newie had a 986 boxster- engine blew and had it sent back to Germany and the price for a motor re-build he moaned was about the price of the boxster itself. I keep seeing him and asking when it is going to be back on the road...

That is what concerns me with a second hand Porsche- at least with a Falcon with Miami v8 if it blows you can just put in an aluminator for reasonable coin?
Agree unless you poke a rod out the side there's gonna be plenty of aftermarket bits around for the coyote which has been around for a while

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2019, 12:49 AM   #9
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

imo - the best thing is just to get what u enjoy irrelevant of if it will be worth $$$ or not down the track, I just passed on my HX Kingswood for a VS executive Ute 5 speed 5 litre, much more fun to drive.

for all that knock the AU's I still enjoy driving my son's 5 speed XR6 .. love the power & the rawness of it .. just handles so well and always makes me smile, just makes me certain that the AU Ghia will be kept too.

if I was looking again I'd be def looking for a BA BF or FG XR6 Turbo manual, as others have said, a def future halo car I reckon, but a Miami in future will be hard to ignore..
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #10
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I've never bought a car for potential investment or because others find a certain model desirable at the time, the cars that do it for me have been in the "sweet-spot" (for me) for quite a while now and will be for the foreseeable future, basically <1980, and in the Ford/Holden range nothing after XC/HZ motivates or interests me at all……

As au2000 alludes to, buy what you want and what makes you feel good driving, not potential worth or what others profess to be the ‘in’ thing……

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my view B series GT's , the AU T series and any XR model pre B series.

The XR's were a special car in the E series and AU . In the B series onward they were just another taxi.

I can't see the turbo models being sought after unless you can find an unmolested F6/Typhoon that's been cared for.

V8 Ghias and base models with the V8 option may be worth something
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #12
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Agree with DJR 351,
never bought a vehicle based on what it might be worth but was always a Holden guy, in fact I only bought this Ford panel van based on carrying capacity, long NSW rego and price.
Personally I thought Holden lost the plot at WB and Ford at the boxy X series. To me XD's on looked odd at some angles.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #13
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Agree with DJR 351,
never bought a vehicle based on what it might be worth but was always a Holden guy, in fact I only bought this Ford panel van based on carrying capacity, long NSW rego and price.
Personally I thought Holden lost the plot at WB and Ford at the boxy X series. To me XD's on looked odd at some angles.
Yeah the 80'as Falcons were boxy and I don't think have aged well at all. To think I traded my XC GXL 351 in on a XD 6cyl Fairmont. Seemed like a good idea at the time
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #14
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

best buying for me is my $1500 AU1 futura, it has just over 100,000km and with very little maintenance i'll get another 200,000km out of it and probably still sell it for $1500 if i look after it
however if it was best buying performance car i'd go a BA/BF XR6t, XR8, GT or F6
the BA/BF are as cheap as they are ever going to get and you can still find an unabused car, but not for long
E series are all a bit long in the tooth and the hope of getting a mint XR is almost gone
AU XR6 are cheap but don't really get your heart pumping and an XR8 is too expensive for what you get (i think)
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #15
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Maybe different in the cities these days but I was just in town (Wangaratta) and spotted at least 6 really nice AU's and 4 or 5 XF/G/H commercials (besides mine). So owners are hanging onto them here.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #16
Electrolyte Burns

I usually find that when I buy a car it has just stopped depreciating and just started decomposing.
Electrolyte Burns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #17
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any of them.
They are not producing any more, and every day there are fewer left, than the day before.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #18
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

last of the BF LTD or fairlaine ghias
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #19
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im hoping the NC V8 Fairlane will enter the list as i have one here i got for parts but wasnt worth parting out
got it cheap cost F/A to fix and is just sitting here till i do some thing with it

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #20
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

BA XR6T - From a stylistic perspective alone they have aged very well and in general the BA was the car that really outshone it's counterparts from Holden.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fairmont Ghias become sought after too. The BA Fairmont was always a car that captured my attention - long before I got mine.

The G6ET that came along with the FG will be a collector car for sure, they're already hard enough to find simply due to their relative scarcity. I will probably get one before they become extinct.

Just my 2c.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2019, 11:20 PM   #21
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

US model Falcons are still good buying and a fraction of the price you pay for domestic models and you can have a coupe. Win win
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2019, 11:26 PM   #22
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I think the S3 AU XR8 ship has sailed, as the T series. I can't see the S3 AUXR8 selling for T series prices and a good low km example is fetching 15k now. They might stretch to 20-25 but will take a while as T series would then need to go up which they aren't.

I'm not bothered either way as I have one of both, but i bought them to enjoy not to think about resale. Unless someone offered me 40k for my T3
Old 29-08-2019, 02:05 AM   #23
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you think the pricing of Falcon and Commode V8s will re-align?

I don't know whether its because there were just so many SS and Calais sold with the 6.0, or
because Falcon production was curtailed in its final years, or
that Aussie Commode production lasted another year,
or that you can still buy something with the Commode badge.

But for cars upto 20 years old the V8 Commodes are on average much cheaper for the same age and condition.
(Which is of academic interest only. Would rather sell my organs than buy a Commode.)
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #24
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post

Funny you should mention that, I've been having a hard look at 986's recently. They are worth nothing atm but I reckon will start appreciating soon, probably after the recession. Porsches are funny. Genuine parts for boxsters are about 4x what you can buy quality aftermarket bits for, but perception gets people paying through the nose. There is no reason to fret over a separate contained assembly like the clutch/flywheel when aftermarket is about a grand and genuine is about 3 1/2. They are fiddly to work on but if you are patient it's all doable.

When you say "blew" was it the ims bearing ?

Elizabeth is always stirring me cos every time I get interested in buying a car or bike the prices start rocketing. I had Indian motorcycles when I was young, about half the price of a harley then, next thing I knew people were paying $30k for the rough old things. So I moved on to ducatis, then they went trendy...
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

FG MKII XR6 Turbos are still going for the same prices now then when they were 2-3 years old with a heap more kilometers on them - they were low twenties back then and they're still in that $20K-$30K mark for a good one.

With how popular the Barra Turbo is now for engine conversions because of how tough it is, the cars themselves have held values already, particularly anything FG onwards.

If you had a stocker that was garaged it'd be worth a bit.

Interestingly the Barra cars seem to hold value better than FPV GS.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #26
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

The Falcons at the turning point right now are the mid 80's to early 90's and a few collectable limited run cars like the ELGT and pursuit models.

we can disagree as much as we want because of our taste/opinion but.. XF's are increasing in value just like the XD/E has been doing for the last 5yrs