Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
Buellboy
Starter Motor

Default Eecv help

Hi guys,
I’m in need of some help. I have put a series 3 AU 5L in my 66 Mustang. The engine was a manual but I’ve put a 4 speed BTR auto behind it. The eecv has a J3 chip.
The issue is two fold,
1. The gearbox is sluggish, wont change gears and appears to be in limp mode, or stuck in a high gear.
2. The speedo won’t read, I put a 10k resistor across the power and signal from the speed sensor, but it just made the speedo move slightly. I put forscan tool on and got no codes for the VSS OR GEAR BOX. There is some code in relation to canister and AC, but it’s disconected.
What am I missing, I’ve been at it for months. When I go into the eecv it says it’s a manual eecv, but I asked to get it flashed to an auto when I bought the J3 chip. Not sure if it makes a difference, any help would be good.
Cheers
Buellboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
XC50077
Drive'n Cruise'n Live'n

Default Re: Eecv help

This may help a little. The AU 5 litre has a separate eec just for the auto box. Others here should be able to offer more information . Good luck with it.
XC50077 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
Buellboy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC50077 View Post
This may help a little. The AU 5 litre has a separate eec just for the auto box. Others here should be able to offer more information . Good luck with it.
I’m of the impression that the series 3 AU had only 1 eecv for engine and box. Unless someone can advise otherwise..
Old 27-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellboy View Post
I’m of the impression that the series 3 AU had only 1 eecv for engine and box. Unless someone can advise otherwise..
That's right.
E series had separate pooftamatique 'lectrics...
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 11:02 PM   #5
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, EBII-EL's used a separate TCM.
Somewhere during the AUII's, you could either flash the ECU tune through the OBDII port, or use a J3 chip like a Moates Qtrhorse (USA) or TI perf J3 chip (Aust).

If the auto stays in 3rd gear (TC unlocked), yes, it is in LHM. If it is a manual tune, then yes, the auto will stay in LHM.
I assume you're using AU wiring and inst cluster.

If the AU's are like the earlier EFs/ELs, the speed signal goes to the inst cluster first, then over to the ECU, so no reading, probably no ECU input either, so if it is an auto tune, the trans will be in LHM.
I'm not sure what voltage the speed signal should be (check tech resources https://fordforums.com.au/vbportal/m...p?name=Content), but I'd be checking with an LED that the inst cluster/ECU/trans are getting a signal.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 11:23 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

So an AU3 isn’t carrying the speed signal from the ABS/ESP unit via CANBUS?

Could it also be in limp mode because it’s unable to write the changing mileage?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2019, 12:53 AM   #7
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
So an AU3 isn’t carrying the speed signal from the ABS/ESP unit via CANBUS?
No, AU's use the J1850 protocol through the OBDII plug - CAN high & low were not til the BA's. All AU's use a speed sensor - again, BA's onwards used ABS info.
Old 28-08-2019, 05:21 AM   #8
Buellboy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
Yes, EBII-EL's used a separate TCM.
Somewhere during the AUII's, you could either flash the ECU tune through the OBDII port, or use a J3 chip like a Moates Qtrhorse (USA) or TI perf J3 chip (Aust).

If the auto stays in 3rd gear (TC unlocked), yes, it is in LHM. If it is a manual tune, then yes, the auto will stay in LHM.
I assume you're using AU wiring and inst cluster.

If the AU's are like the earlier EFs/ELs, the speed signal goes to the inst cluster first, then over to the ECU, so no reading, probably no ECU input either, so if it is an auto tune, the trans will be in LHM.
I'm not sure what voltage the speed signal should be (check tech resources https://fordforums.com.au/vbportal/m...p?name=Content), but I'd be checking with an LED that the inst cluster/ECU/trans are getting a signal.
I’m using the wiring loom but , no I’m not using the stock cluster. So why is it in limp mode ???
Old 28-08-2019, 07:12 AM   #9
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

snap0964 already mentioned the reason it is in LHM in one of the earlier posts. Manual tune in the ECU. In the AU tune files, they all have the Auto settings inside them, it's just that they are "switched" off, which then defaults to manual. It's not a big deal to switch your current tune to Auto.
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #10
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, as Crakrz said, it is just a checkbox, just like the smartlock/smartshield security enable/disable. The auto tune will have variations like dashpot settings, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellboy View Post
I’m using the wiring loom but , no I’m not using the stock cluster. So why is it in limp mode ??? When I go into the eecv it says it’s a manual eecv
As usual with these threads, you need to give as much detail as possible, otherwise it goes into pages trying to find it all out what's been done, setup, etc - what inst cluster ? How did you view the EEC ?, etc.
We're not there to physically see all of this.
Old 30-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #11
Buellboy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
Yeah, as Crakrz said, it is just a checkbox, just like the smartlock/smartshield security enable/disable. The auto tune will have variations like dashpot settings, etc.
As usual with these threads, you need to give as much detail as possible, otherwise it goes into pages trying to find it all out what's been done, setup, etc - what inst cluster ? How did you view the EEC ?, etc.
We're not there to physically see all of this.
Spoke to the guy tha flashed my eecv, and he had put a manual tune, hence the locked in third, unable to change gears and no fault codes...
An easy fix that took ages for me to identify...
3 users like this post: