Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
GTFalcon 351
Mmmm... Bikini Carwash...

Default Car Insurance Query, Re: loss of licence

Hi,
Ive been informed by a friend that he has been refused a payout for damage to his car by his insurance company because he did not inform them that he had his licence suspended for a period of time a few years ago

I have also lost my licence and have had it re-issued recently and am wondering whether i need to inform my insurance company as i would have thought that my traffic infringement details should be guarded by a privacy policy

Cheers

Last edited by GTFalcon 351; 18-01-2005 at 12:15 AM. Reason: clarify post
GTFalcon 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

nope, you must divulge any and all traffic convictions to your insurance company

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 07:17 PM   #3
jaytyn

You will need to disclose to the insurer any details that may affect their decision to offer you insurance, and as to what rate your premium would be based on that risk.

You should read your policy guidelines and terms and conditions to fully understand your obligations under that policy.

But to answer your question, yes, you should tell your insurer about any previous claims, incidents, loss of license or infringements etc etc
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a mate who had full comp on his EF XR6, it got stolen and was recovered missing the bodykit, dash, wheels and heaps of other stuff was damaged and they wouldnt pay out because he didnt inform them of a speeding fine he got 2 years earlier.
Old 17-01-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
EA2BA
PM me if you want

basically anything in the last 5 years must be divulged according to most policies (from memory)

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
pepsimax

Thumbs down

and it normally states that you are only covered if you are a licensed driver,,and what was this moron doing driving with out a friggen license,how bloody stupid is he.he deserves everything he gets
Old 17-01-2005, 10:45 PM   #7
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I take it the damage occured after his licence suspension has finished. But in the case where the guy's car was stolen, the driver's driving infringement history has zero significance in that case. I would look further into it for that situation.

The "logic" behind the rule is that if a driver has lost their licence due to infringements, then they are a higher risk of crashing than a driver who hasn't lost theirs, and an adjustment to the premium to reflect this is needed. But since that wouldn't be a factor in theft, they shouldn't have a reason to deny a payout as you could argue it had no bearing on the theft. It's just their excuse to weasle out of paying. Unless that speeding fine was major, one speeding fine should have no bearing on the risk level of that driver. I'd say the case with the EF would be worth pursuing further.

A mate of mine crashed his R32 Skyline GTS-T into a power pole after losing it through a corner. They claimed a tyre was unroadworthy and refused to pay out - even though that tyre wasn't the tyre being loaded up on in the corner and most likely didn't cause the accident. My friend thought that was it - but has taken the matter up again after a few years after getting further advice from someone and is likely to be successful.

To address the first post, it would be wiser to inform the insurance company of a major event such as loss of suspension of licence and possibly cop an unfavourable change to your premium/excess than to keep quiet and possibly get refused a full payout in the event of total loss of the car though accident/theft.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 11:05 PM   #8
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Some insurance companies really are bastards and will go to lengths to avoid paying out in a claim.

Im using Recovery Lawyers to claim when i got hit by someone and had no insurance myself. Its taking a while but is a good alternative when dealing with bullshit insurance companies.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 12:18 AM   #9
GTFalcon 351
Mmmm... Bikini Carwash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsimax
and it normally states that you are only covered if you are a licensed driver,,and what was this moron doing driving with out a friggen license,how bloody stupid is he.he deserves everything he gets
Sorry dude i should have explained it better,

the accident occured after his licence was re-issued but he never informed his insurance company that it had ever been suspended
GTFalcon 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 01:30 AM   #10
chippa6
Novice Professional

It pays to tell the insurance company everything - especially re- loss of licence speeding fines etc. - Most of the time when you apply for insurance they will ask you a whole heap of questions about these things.
I got a online quote for my old 4WD through one lot and when i'd paid the car dealer the money and rang to give the quote number and get it insured at the caryard they asked me re loss of licence in last 5 years. -I had, and they subsequently refused to insure me on the spot. - frantically rang around, found NRMA and never looked back.

Cheers
Old 18-01-2005, 08:29 AM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

Thumbs up

"Duty of Disclosure"
Means you have to tell the insurance company everything, not choose to forget to mention an infringement.

An insurance campany can deny any claim and cancel a police if you have not been honest and up front.

I would be surprised if a theft claim was denied due to speeding infringement. I would have taken it further.

Read your Policy book (or PDS) from cover to cover. Anyone with insurance should. Otherwise you are assuming, very dangerous!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 10:54 AM   #12
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
The "logic" behind the rule is that if a driver has lost their licence due to infringements, then they are than a driver who hasn't lost theirs, and an adjustment to the premium to reflect this is needed.
My last 3 speeding fines have been for 3km/h, 3km/h, and 8km/h over the speed limit!!! surley I have a higher risk of crashing due to my speeding!!!, a total of 6 pionts and $350
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #13
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
My last 3 speeding fines have been for 3km/h, 3km/h, and 8km/h over the speed limit!!! surley I have a higher risk of crashing due to my speeding!!!, a total of 6 pionts and $350
That's the insurance company's excuse for shafting people for more $$$
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 07:05 PM   #14
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

What happens if you have insurance, and then your license is suspended, after you already have a policy? Do you still have to tell them?
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 07:37 PM   #15
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Yes you are and you have proven this. A majority of motor acident occure when a law is being broken and frequently it is speeding.
Quote:
Shafting???? How do you work that out?
Do you have any idea what insurance is and what it is based on?

One word 'Risk'.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 08:01 PM   #16
Kryton

you should tell your insurance agency but also be prepared to have your policy VOIDED immedialty when you do tell them.
no point having the policy if they arent going to pay out later in time because of this.
and Pearly you have a policy and during the period of that policy you have had your license suspended from driving offenses. why do you think you wouldnt have to tell them? of course you do coz now youve just earned youself the title of 'High Risk Driver'. if your not voided immediatley (i would be suprised) you will have huge premiums now.

Last edited by Kryton; 18-01-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 08:25 PM   #17
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Yes you are and you have proven this. A majority of motor acident occure when a law is being broken and frequently it is speeding.

Shafting???? How do you work that out?
Do you have any idea what insurance is and what it is based on?

One word 'Risk'.
I take it that you drive like Miss Daisy then ??????????
You take a risk every time you step out your front door as no one knows whats going to happen.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post