Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Default Summernats 05 : Highlights and lowlights

I'll list below what i thought rocked and sucked :

Pro's :

- The burnouts - in particular the CAPA donut team. Brilliant
- The weather
- The chicks
- Having a dominoes pizza stand at the event. Top stuff
- Horsepower heroes event. Love it

Con's :

- Not having an older car(like my XB,XC's) which makes the shopping for parts experience exciting
- Missing getting flashed and watching the chicks get onto each other in the donut area as they drove by
- Lack of shops. I'm sure in previous years there were more stalls
- Show and shine. It wasn't on on the Sunday. I can't see why a thing like this can't be. I couldn't go Saturday due to work :

What did everyone else think about Summernats 05 ???

Has Fez and XB.

Last edited by loxxr6; 11-01-2005 at 12:30 PM.
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Fordy
EMC-Benzenes Detailing

Who won Grand Champion?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
loxxr6
XB in parts...

It was a double win.

Gary Myers skyscraper high blown stang and the Green XP falcon (see the pic thread for what it looks like).

Has Fez and XB.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Fordy
EMC-Benzenes Detailing

Excellent, i was hoping myers would get it, did he win the burnout comp too?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy
Who won Grand Champion?
From what I've heard from a couple of sources, Gary Myers twin supercharged mustang, and the green supercharged XP coupe were joint winners...
Old 11-01-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
It was a double win.

Gary Myers skyscraper high blown stang and the Green XP falcon (see the pic thread for what it looks like).
sounds like a good weekend for ford then :
Old 11-01-2005, 01:44 PM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

yes, 'Ford' bodied cars... just kidding Myers 'stang is artwork

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well yeh true - but if holden can claim the 427 win at the 24hr, then ford can claim the summernats crown this year ;)
Old 11-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #9
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't this make it a ford 1-1 finish? Sounds better than 1-2!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:46 PM   #10
Barry_v
rocknrolla

well me and phil (monty) just got back to adelaide last night. had an awesome time.

highlights
Acca Dacca - great band
The dark blue cortina on hydraulics - very cool
The P6 LTD hearse on airbags
the XC Cobra in full race trim
the Blue mustang hitting stuff in the dirt events (fun to watch but i winced during it)

lowlights
strippers - too artistic for the crowd and poorly planned, 90% of the time you were watching the screens because you couldnt see anything.
lack of iced coffee for sale! i got sick of solo after 4 days.
lack of efi windsor manifolds for sale! had lots of chevy tunnel rams but not much else..
drunken bogons - need I say more
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #11
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
lowlights
strippers - too artistic for the crowd and poorly planned, 90% of the time you were watching the screens because you couldnt see anything.
ahhh maybe that would explain why no one has been posting up any pictures then!! lol
Old 11-01-2005, 06:36 PM   #12
hambo_12

Quote:
drunken bogons - need I say more
nope, no need to say anymore, really ruins the day I reackon, it was advertised as a family event...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 PM   #13
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
lack of iced coffee for sale! i got sick of solo after 4 days.
Spoken like a true South Aussie! Where's the Farmer's Union???
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 06:59 PM   #14
Barry_v
rocknrolla

I rekon, on the way home i managed to find some FU at a servo.. i was in 2nd heaven.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:10 PM   #15
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

Highlights:
- The guys camping around us. Nicest bunch of campers I've met yet (even if they did drive Holdens)

- Saturday night entertainment: No, not the stuff in the arena, the burnouts etc taking place around the park. I know not everyone likes it, but I love Summernats for the wild atmosphere on Saturday nights.

- Avoiding the cops. Either I was too early for the usual road block or they realised that picking on people with nice cars is a waste of time.

- Lapping the park about a million times without a problem. As long as you keep off the road late at night when the big boys come out to play you're fine.

- The bogans: Again not everyone's cup of tea, but for some reason I find them hilarious. Some of the comments you get cruising around are comedy gold.

Lowlights:
- Lack of sleep. By Saturday I was buggered & missed some cool stuff.

- Security searches. They were all over the place with no idea what they were doing. I never once opened the bonnet or glovebox when being searched coming back into the park, but they went through our cars & tents on Friday night determined to find something. Get it right guys.

Last edited by Yellow Fire; 11-01-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #16
XA_GT351
Supreme Machine!

I left geelong on thursday, stayed at relo's, Went to the nats on saturday till 1am, left canberra on sunday arrived in geelong monday 3am, Got up for work at 7am,

Highlights: Everything! Took pics of heaps of cars, boobies and more....

Lowlights: Not enough XA's, Trying to Find a toilet and booze without waiting in a giant que, somehow getting sauce over my new superoo shirt, Annoying fat kids in a fake american accent wanting a drink of my beer, waiting 3 hours for a taxi, And the big one: My brother LOSING MY CAMERA!!! with 200 pictures on it, So i cant post them.

1960 FB Holden Wagon, Yellow, 192, 4spd,

My XA Build-Up
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=10&pp=25

Last edited by XA_GT351; 11-01-2005 at 09:35 PM.
XA_GT351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 09:35 PM   #17
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I rekon, on the way home i managed to find some FU at a servo.. i was in 2nd heaven.
I'm from SA and Farmers Union is the best ever Ice Coffee. You can get it almost everywhere in Canberra. Woolies and Coles both stock it and a lot of servo's do as well
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 09:44 PM   #18
HOON69
Banned

the lows a guy copping a flogging so i heard 4 times out cold,and a all in brawl that security couldnt even stop(why would you)
seems fighting is becoming a habit(bad one) at the nats,makes me wonder if i should bring the family along next year..
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 09:48 PM   #19
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fire
Highlights:
- Saturday night entertainment: No, not the stuff in the arena, the burnouts etc taking place around the park. I know not everyone likes it, but I love Summernats for the wild atmosphere on Saturday nights.

- The bogans: Again not everyone's cup of tea, but for some reason I find them hilarious. Some of the comments you get cruising around are comedy gold.
Completely agree. The wild atmosphere at the summernats is an experience that I can't wait for again. For me, I couldn't give a stuff about it not being a family event. If I had kids, I wouldn't bring them along anyway. Don't want to be looking after kids while I'm trying to enjoy myself.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 10:00 PM   #20
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Sat was awesome...as soon as the security went into the main arena (for the fireworks, etc) and the tits or runner started.

Nothing like a little bit of mindless fun. Everyone was well behaved except for the kennards truck that coped a bit of punishment!!

The sat night strippers sucked...the main ho kept on trying to sell stuff to the crowd and lets face it, every one wanted to see tits and ****!! The wet (lack of water) t shirt comp was tops!!

Will post videos when I get them done...
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 12:07 AM   #21
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
the lows a guy copping a flogging so i heard 4 times out cold,and a all in brawl that security couldnt even stop(why would you)
seems fighting is becoming a habit(bad one) at the nats,makes me wonder if i should bring the family along next year..
Did you see who it was, got told my mate got hit over the head with a metal star picket by some wogs (15 of them). If its the same bloke it must ov been a big hit as ive seen him take a hit across the head with an alloy baseball bat and turn around and flog the bloke, and it was a decent hit from behind to. Tall bald headed fella skinny/medium build, missing a few teeth, only about 20.

All i can say is i hope the bloke who did it has left the country.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 09:08 AM   #22
Mr. CVE
If it aint Blown it Sucks

highlight !!
me coming 3rd in the 8 cyl blown class in Horsepower Heroes !!
made 624 hp !
320 rwkw, 810 nm torque, 280rwkw @3000 rpm !! :thebirds:
Now for sale
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11296772

Thanks to Snort Performance, Headsex and CVE
Street car DeTomaso Pantera
Drag car 1995 Mustang, Haleys Comet ( It's back !)
Power by CVE
Melbourne's first SNIPER Tuner :
Now tuning E series
Mr. CVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 10:06 AM   #23
Hoops
I'm Back

Low point for me was the lack of crowd control for the cars cruising, we constantly had people rubbing up against the cars while we were doing laps.
Other than that it was a sensational weekend and looking forward to the next one.

Hoops
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 06:24 PM   #24
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep me went too. Had a great time lots to see,almost too much.
Highlights- Horsepower Heroes,though I didn't see much on Sunday,crazy cruiser cars,weather wasn't too hot like some past years,kids are kids prices till 16 like it should be not 12,the two best cars were Fords,bar none, cars cars cars cars cars cars and more great cars,oh yes and a few titties,he he. Supercruise and stunt show though the bike through the fire tunnel is a waste of space,bring back the motocross boys.
Lowlights- A few drunken yobs,not enough room to view Horsepower Heroes and lousy PA sound,too many ppl in Maguires stand viewing cars Saturday,and Sundays burnouts too crowded to see especialy over/under/round those stoopid fugn Mexican hats which should be banned at crowded events,dumbarse me ran out of battery in video cam by midday Sat-BUGGER.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:49 PM   #25
loxxr6
XB in parts...

not enough room to view Horsepower Heroes

That really sucked. I only caught a couple of runs coz there weren't enough seats. there also wasn't a lot happening on Sunday so it made everything more packed.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 12-01-2005, 06:55 PM   #26
Barry_v
rocknrolla

I only watched a little bit of the sunday burnouts, we just couldnt see. should have got there earlier.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #27
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

Highlights -
Everything... Burnouts,boobies, Jack daniels, the crowd, the awesome fords and soooo many laughs

Lowlights -
None really that i can think of.... will respond later if i can think
5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 01:40 PM   #28
Coupe460

Default summernats

Highlight for me was making the top 60 elite show . We never expected the car would make the cut ..The super cruise was something to remember forever, Chic Henry and all his crew are to be congratulated on the security for the elite cars ... All i can say is AWSOME.... p.s. looking for pics of our car XC460 red/orange xc coupe ... thanks
Coupe460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 02:04 PM   #29
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

For me (who works as scrutineering supervisor and doesn't get to see too much of the actual show) highlights were:

The improved attitute of the entrants, the general lift in standard of the cars that came through (not so many being told flat out no), the cool 3D graphics on a holden wagon of Spiderman, meeting up with all my old friends, seeing a few new cars coming through and the alcoholic slushies (!!!!!) that helped me through Saturday.

Lowlights:

The constant stories of woe we heard at scrutineering as we do every year. I really feel for some of the poor people who cop damage to their cars on the way or just prior to the event. I, along with all the other scrutineering staff were also dismayed and disgusted by the police who pulled up any remotely modified car as they headed in from Sydney and did them over with a fine toothed comb. We saw people told to take their cars home, and cars that were defected for as little as their demister not working and having no water in their wiper reservoirs!
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #30
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
For me (who works as scrutineering supervisor and doesn't get to see too much of the actual show) highlights were:

The improved attitute of the entrants, the general lift in standard of the cars that came through (not so many being told flat out no), the cool 3D graphics on a holden wagon of Spiderman, meeting up with all my old friends, seeing a few new cars coming through and the alcoholic slushies (!!!!!) that helped me through Saturday.
Hi Discovery,

Hopefully you can shed some light on something I've always wondered about Summernats scrutineering. How many cars get turned away at the gate for not being of a high enough standard, & how exactly is this determined? I would have assumed that the details required on the entry form would be enough to judge whether a car was worthy of entry. Do these people bring different cars to those they entered?

Please don't think this is a dig at you guys as I think you do an outstanding job.

Cheers
Matt
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post