Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 28-05-2010, 11:54 PM   #31
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
What about labelling the Fiesta a "girl's car"? Now THAT's closed-minded.

Assigning gender to vehicles is pointless and condescending. A lot of women drive sixes and eights too (utes even) - and you don't hear people calling them girl cars.

People need to realise that there are manly men out there who happen to be small car enthusiasts.
To disregard a great car like the Fiesta because of its size or some sexist notion is to miss out on a great driving experience.

In case you're wondering, yes, I'm a small car enthusiast. I'm a burly, skinheaded, goateed bloke, and I drive my Fiesta with pride. I'd happily drive a six or an eight, but small cars float my boat.
Rep points for that one.

I'm 6'4" and 90kgs and a bloke and I love small cars. I also love drinking beer and watching the footy. Don't see why all three can't sit together.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #32
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
i dont understand how they can be a great driving experience people there SLOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just cant fathom it.
With the 5spd manual, it would comfortably account for an XR6T down a windy road.

Where I drive most of the time, it's all windy roads, sharp corners and so much fun.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 03:04 AM   #33
Fled74
The Thread Killa

It's all about the handling.
Power is nothing without control.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #34
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Plus 1

(this thing doesnt let you put +1 - u need 5 characters for a post apparently )
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #35
Zetec Dave

Plus 2
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #36
sulrich

I recall my first new car, a Laser KF TX3 - and it handled like a dream, almost drive itself its in the way it handled corners etc. The Fiesta Zetec reminds me of this, the front wheel drive and handling are supurb, the seats fit you well, and its a pleasure to drive. The power output is pretty good for a 1.6, and the engine layout is a much nicer fit in the bay that the (Mazda) engine of the KF TX3.
I hope you guys are all as happy with the car as we are (early days yet however...). I cant comment on quality control as we havent had it for long.
Cheers
Steve
sulrich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #37
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee I miss some exciting discussions. I think my girls car is awesome, and so do the girls. Plus three and well said Fiesta boys
Old 31-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #38
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Gee I miss some exciting discussions. I think my girls car is awesome, and so do the girls. Plus three and well said Fiesta boys

Oh dear! This has gone way off where I started! Oops! Sorry guys if I offened anyone. It wasnt my intention. It was meant to be sharing of some good news that we have another Ford in our driveway!
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #39
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
pplus threeeeee!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #40
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocchi
the XR4s have the disc rear, maybe look at some wreckers or something for a rear brake setup off one

it is a girls car. due to majority of owners/drivers being females.
thats how cars etc get a reputation of gender based cars. and so forth.
anybody getting upset over anything is just insecure... cos end of the day, who gives a ****** what somebody says, its your car, you buy it because you like it and enjoy it.

Some good points, however i keep a record of every new car i sell and to who, in 2009 i sold 39 WS Fiesta's, interestingly i sold 19 to men and 20 to women. So it would seem a pretty even spread in my PMA.
The model break up was a little different, Zetecs acounted for 18 of the 39 sales. Of the 18, 12 were purchased by men.

Sure that class of car is seen as more poplular with ladies, but the Fiesta is and has always been known as the drivers car of the class. Any bloke who has any clue about cars would select the Fez out of the rest.

Secondly, over here where i am living now (London) the arnt really any old VP commordores or AU Falcons for the young P platers to drive, so all the young lads drive little hatch backs. No one tells them they are driving a chicks car...
Old 01-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #41
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

but also isnt fuel over $2 a litre in england as well?

i wouldnt drive a big car everyday either if fuel was like $2.15 a litre.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #42
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa

Sure that class of car is seen as more poplular with ladies, but the Fiesta is and has always been known as the drivers car of the class. Any bloke who has any clue about cars would select the Fez out of the rest.
Spot on fella. Most other small cars are embarrassing IMHO, and while I see the 'hair dresser girls car' remarks as mostly well founded as most basic small cars are driven by women, a Fiesta is a true little ripper of a drivers car, it's the Ferrari or the pack, as most of the others are horrid and cheap. While my WS is no XR4 it's by no means a girls car, sure it's classified as one, but around the bends it can send true RWD sports cars to the bin. Although in a straight line, I'm left for dead!

Well said buddy :-)
Old 02-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #43
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the only reason the fiesta and most other small cars are classified as girls cars is because we live in a culture of utes, four wheel drives, v8's, commodores, falcons, hilux's etc... the fiesta doesnt fit into australian culture despite alot of people loving it.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #44
penny
Starter Motor

We just bought one...and it's my MALE fiancee's car. He got it in Sea Grey...so does that make it more male?! ;) Sorry, it makes me laugh...man's car....woman's car....who cares?! It's a great car and that's all that should matter.
penny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #45
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz
the only reason the fiesta and most other small cars are classified as girls cars is because we live in a culture of utes, four wheel drives, v8's, commodores, falcons, hilux's etc... the fiesta doesnt fit into australian culture despite alot of people loving it.
What he said... and hence why that bringing statistics from other countries doesnt work here. Also, it would make sense of why Australia would not bring the lipstick colour (I remember it being called that by someone on another thread) here besides the $1000 premium, but maybe to maintain a more neutral gender bias.

When I picked up the Fiesta (cousin still isnt comfortable with the car) I took it and showed some of my mates. They all said the same thing, "does it come in a mens?". I was quick to point out the handling and other features of the car, but to them, they all said the same thing. I got a similar reaction from my work collegues. Even the girls said the same thing!!

People have been assigning genders to cars for a long time now. There are definate accepted "male" cars (usually drive rough, unrefined) and "female" cars that are more targeted a smoother driving vehicle. I think a couple of years ago (2004) the hyundai elantra was being positioned as a car for girls by adding a handbag hook on the drivers seat.

Whether we like it or not, certain manufactures have positioned their product to appeal to certain demographics of consumers. Positioning plus sales drive creates a gender bias for a vehicle. But perceptions are changing and can be changed.

There are many examples. SLK, Pug 206cc (but the GTi is considered a guys car), they are considered primarily girls cars cause of the type of people that buy it (untill AMG went nuts on the SLK, similarly, an XR4 version would change that). The Z4 (last generation) and TT have the highest number of male drivers (upto 80% male for the latter TT). These are not hard and fast assignments, just perceptions. (the X5 is nicknamed the perfect soccer mums car). I think its the Bentley droptop that is the last Him convertible (from something I read).

We have done many case studies at Uni in marketing on how a product can be seen as male or female.

Heck, shower gel only a few years ago was considered the realm of only women and "real men" used soap. Its not set in cement, but a notion.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #46
notorious_benny
Just driving around......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta God
With the 5spd manual, it would comfortably account for an XR6T down a windy road.

Where I drive most of the time, it's all windy roads, sharp corners and so much fun.

Ha ha ha!!! Have you driven an FG XR Falcon??

I own an FG XR6T AND a WS Fiesta Zetec (both manual), I will grant you that the Fiesta is a very nice little car to drive and has zippy steering, particularly around town ..... buuutttt..... it WILL NOT comfortably see off the XR6 Turbo on a winding mountain back road!!

The FG has great weight and feedback in the steering that you do not get with the Fiesta. And lets not start on brakes, and outright mechanical grip, and rear drive dynamics, and power down, LSD's ect .... shall I go on?

If I was heading up to the snowy mountains for a spirited drive I would take my rear drive turbo before the little Fiesta!

Having said that the Fiesta is indeed and very spunky little car to drive and I often choose it over the FG for short runs into town, and I certainly dont feel like a girl driving it My wife does though ;)
notorious_benny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #47
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive an FG XR6 as a rep car and it's a great car, but there's something about the Fiesta. In saying that, the XR has a much nicer weight in the steering, definitely, even at high speeds the Fiesta has incredibly light steering. Great for fuel economy, not so great for true, paws on the ground road feel. Love my Fords is my conclusion!
Old 03-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #48
deejayvee
Starter Motor

Well, I reckon it's all relative.

My last car was a 94 4wd diesel Hilux. So compared to that, I'm finding the handling, speed and acceleration of the Fez to be pretty nice.

Kinda sucks off road though...

deejayvee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #49
fiestars

wow i must be gay
fiestars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #50
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
I drive an FG XR6 as a rep car and it's a great car, but there's something about the Fiesta. In saying that, the XR has a much nicer weight in the steering, definitely, even at high speeds the Fiesta has incredibly light steering. Great for fuel economy, not so great for true, paws on the ground road feel. Love my Fords is my conclusion!

and the interior at night is as boring as all get out compared to the fiesta imo
Old 04-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #51
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayvee
Well, I reckon it's all relative.

My last car was a 94 4wd diesel Hilux. So compared to that, I'm finding the handling, speed and acceleration of the Fez to be pretty nice.

Kinda sucks off road though...

I reckon a fiesta would kill a lux off road as well
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #52
notorious_benny
Just driving around......

Errrr its night... you should be looking at the road not the fairy lights!!!

The FG's have a nice colour screen and blue lighting, never really thought the Fiesta was any more or less boring...... they both have a dash with speedo's and stuff... ...... serioulsy I am confused.. is the colour of the interior lights what people will base their purchasing decision off???
notorious_benny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #53
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestars
wow i must be gay
well according to another post some years ago, you'd have to be driving a falcon (BA Series) then. It was apparently the car of choice for people who are gay.

My thread has been by my own doing!!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #54
fiestars

BA falcon hmm ddnt knw that i love small cars my next car is definately gonna be a hatch
fiestars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #55
ford lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
i dont understand how they can be a great driving experience people there SLOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just cant fathom it.

How fast do you want to get to a hundred they are street cars not strip cars. The manuals aren't slow Ive seen alot slower in other makes of similar size cars.
Very roomy little cars with the impression of driving a larger car.
ford lover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #56
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford lover
How fast do you want to get to a hundred they are street cars not strip cars
I think 4 is about right for a street car to a 100
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post